• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its also a show though. Its fiction. that affords it some degree of believability in the context of the show. SAO is also afforded this but I wont give it that satisfaction.
As a long time gamer who is currently studying to be a game developer and only just recently started watching anime perhaps I'm taking these game anime too seriously. Those aspects of NGNL bother me and I don't think anyone is going to convince me otherwise.

Jex

chaika 2

ehhhhh.... not feeling the story progression. Surely there will be twists 'dad wasn't really a bad guy?' but im feeling warning signs...

and chaika's speech impediment does nothing for me. I know its probably not the case, but it just makes me think of human traffic prostitutes that can barely speak the native tongue of w/e, dressed in fetish wear of sorts.

I have no clue why im feeling so down from this lol.

On the plus side, I did catch up on like the last 6 eps of jojo. Really good stuff. It feels like the animation quality is consistently good vs the last season or so. Jotaro is a great silent protag, his gramps still got it too.
Why so dark?

CorvoSol

Macross F 19

7lUHwCw.gif

God bless you, Sheryl Nome. Only you could find a way into main boy's arms at Ranka's concert at the exact moment before Ranka comes dashing in to tell main boy how she feels. I was beginning to worry with all of these serious things and this plot going on that you'd lost it, but I should have done never doubted your powers.

I was just asking 'cause I heard that it's pretty awful. 1 to 10 how bad is it?

Have you seen Avatar the Last Airbender?

If not, go watch Avatar the Last Airbender instead. Once you finish that, then you can watch Korra. So you can know what I already know.

On a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being bad and 10 being amazing, I'd say the show is a... maybe a 7.5 on its better days but mostly a 6. For the sake of comparing, Avatar the Last Airbender is a 7.5 at its worst and a 9 at its best.

The biggest issue with the show is that the lead character is horrible. She has a temper, she whines, and also only thinks about boys all days. Mainly the biggest bad boy in the show while she ignores the true badass Bolin. But yeah it's relationship drama after relationship drama. The first half of the second season is horrible, second half goes back to being decent.

But the majority of the complaints come from somebody who has watched The Last Airbender. Without having watched that you might enjoy it if you don't mind the shipping drama.

Midonin

Excel Saga 21-24

The Key episode was as silly as expected, but it is from this point on that the show knew it was ending. If you're going to parody something like Gundam or Harlock, saving it until this stage of the game does make sense. The "episode without gags" was probably the most meta episode besides the animation one. It spelled out its intentions up front, but the show's been doing that since day one, so it's also part of the gags. With how fast the dialogue and the references fly by, it's a lot to take in, yet the serialization of the show keeps making it easy to marathon. Pedro's role felt kinda smaller in these episodes, and while the City Defense has always been small, except for 24, they didn't have a lot to do either. I am pleased to see the return of the Daitenzin suits. An evil organization must have a hero team to counteract it. And the way that Key's ocarina transitioned into the ED was also a good gag.

Tomorrow, the finale(s)!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
For NGNL viewers, I know Blank won all their battles but did they ever struggle? Was there an antagonist who almost beat them?
There is no struggle. There almost isn't even a battle. Blank has a plan and it plays out until they win.

Edit: Also, Yamato 2199 and "airing".

Jex

For NGNL viewers, I know Blank won all their battles but did they ever struggle? Was there an antagonist who almost beat them?

Spoilers, obviously
They often appear to struggle in battle, but that's generally "all part of the grand plan". Occasionally they are pushed, but they manage to strategize their way out anyway.

Jex

I thought firehawk was the one and only voice heralding its case while it was airing?

firehawk was posting about it, but there was no "hype" of the back of that because of the release schedule of a few episodes every few months. The hype only began when the series concluded.

cajunator

Banned
As a long time gamer who is currently studying to be a game developer and only just recently started watching anime perhaps I'm taking these game anime too seriously. Those aspects of NGNL bother me and I don't think anyone is going to convince me otherwise.

Thats perfectly alright.

Several times they nearly lost. Just adds to the fun IMO.

Rhapsody

Banned
Isn't the whole point of Blank that they are meant to be invincible but the fun is not about the challenge but the ridiculous shit that Sora comes up with?

Basically (unless the LN and anime eventually throws a twist).

It's pretty much no different than other anime that have genius protagonists.

Jex

I've never seen the original either, which I'm glad for. Instead of comparing this back to some past work, I can just watch it all fresh and enjoy it for what it is. I'll probably watch the original after.
I really wouldn't recommend that. It's rather boring and dry, it's not even worth it for curiosity reasons.

Jex

Basically (unless the LN and anime eventually throws a twist).

It's pretty much no different than other anime that has genius protagonists.

Well, nearly. "Gambling Anime", which in reality is actually "Everyone's Cheating At Everything" tend to fall into two main categories.

You've got those genius heroes who will never lose:

- Akagi
- One Outs
- NGNL

and then you have stories where the protagonist can actually fail:

- Kaiji

Kaiji is clearly the outlier here, but by setting up the stories in such a manner that you don't know whether Kaiji will win or lose the actual games/gambles tend to be considerably tenser.

Well, nearly. "Gambling Anime", which in reality is actually "Everyone's Cheating At Everything" tend to fall into two main categories.

- Akagi
- One Outs
- NGNL

- Kaiji

Kaiji is clearly the outlier here, but by setting up the stories in such a manner that you don't know whether Kaiji will win or lose the actual games/gambles tend to be considerably tenser.

You forgot to mention the best genius who fails ever,

OH LULU-KUN <3

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Spoilers, obviously
They often appear to struggle in battle, but that's generally "all part of the grand plan". Occasionally they are pushed, but they manage to strategize their way out anyway.
Except it seems like they've always accounted for any potential road blocks beforehand.

Rhapsody

Banned

- Akagi
- One Outs
- NGNL

- Kaiji

True. I suppose with genius protags in a seinin manga, it can go either way.

That reminds me that I really need to watch/read Akagi and Kaiji. One Outs too. I'll get on that this summer.

- Akagi
- One Outs
- NGNL

- Kaiji

Pretty good explanation of the dichotomy. There are also things like Liar Game, where the games are so long that the protagonists CAN lose for a bit, but then come back and win in the end, and they're not like "OH, OUR PREVIOUS FAILURE WAS PART OF THE PLAN ALL ALONG". At least not every time.

All of those anime/manga you mentioned are awesome, though. Love all of 'em. Especially Kaiji-chan. Moe moeeeee KYUN~

I can't give two fucks about the show but this image

gBw06jx.png

Has me laughing my ass off. Sailor Moon's face is fucking psycho.

"BITCH. I MUST'VE NOT HEARD YOU CAN YOU REPEAT IT?!"

and the other is all

:I

I like genius protagonists. I think part of the appeal is watching them succeed at everything or most things until the one person comes along who can rival them (in terms of genius). Light vs L would be one example.

Lurky

Black Bullet 13

Oh gee what they hinting at the entire show actually happened~ What a surprise! >_>
At the very least they could have
killed Kisara in this episode instead of just making her evil.
What an unsatisfying end. I remember when I thought this show might be good. Maybe like nine or ten episodes back. Now I realize how crazy I was. Also, lol at Aldebaran being only a level 4.

Mature

Yeah I agree. Looks fine to me.
I think watching it by itself it looks plenty serviceable, but if I'm watching a full episode of a show, I think it'd be jarring/annoying to see it cut to CG and back. It's different when you've relegated your CG to just mecha or something like that, but it's always been off-putting for me when you're watching a character jump back and forth like that— even if it's just for a transformation sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom