• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Though I do hope the basic built in mic of a Macbook in good enough.
I've used the mic on the iphone earpod things several times and that seems to work fine. I can usually be on when it's evening for you over there, depending on the day.

Link Man

Banned
Black Bullet 13

Oh hey, remember Tangled?

Anyone else remember when Rentaro used a gun as his weapon? No? Okay.

Oh hey, remember
Armageddon
?

...what the hell is this?

No, really, what the hell was that?

I don't even feel like posting the image from last week.

Nafe

I've used the mic on the iphone earpod things several times and that seems to work fine. I can usually be on when it's evening for you over there, depending on the day.

BGBW as a guest on the Victor Bravo podcast? or something else?

EDIT: Bravo Whiskey podcast. I always mess that up. Just like Crazy Canuck and the episode number,haha.

Midonin

Soul Eater Not! 11-12 + Final Thoughts

I really don't have a problem with the concept. Exploring things from another point of view, changing to a different tone, that's exactly what spin-offs are for. One of the best ways to make a prequel feel like its own distinct work is to give it a new cast, and this sits comfortably enough between prequel and spin-off that it achieves that. My only complaint is that the show could've used a little more energy behind it. The heart was there, but it never felt like it had the best pacing. That's not enough for me to call it a wash, though.

How can I when the show ended in a yuri threesome? Not even Sakura Trick's Haruka pulled that off. If a meister can have two weapons, and a weapon can have two meisters. Maybe having them bond so much with Liz and Patty has to do with that.
The action wasn't the best, but I liked the characters. Tsugumi, Anya and Meme were all pretty good, but I wish Endless Waltz/Eternal Feather and Kana had gotten a little more to do. Shaua's not quite as impressive as Arachne or Medusa, but she also had less screentime.

My overall thoughts on the show are that it's not bad. Just above middle of the road. But it was one of the full length shows this season that provided me with the most amounts of yuri goggle tingling moments, and for that, I have to give it at least a bit of my seal of approval.

Black Bullet 13 [END]
Black-Bullet-episode-3-screenshot-014.jpg
I thought that was a really great episode to stop at. The seeds were planted for a 2nd Season at the end of the episode. So I do hope they make another season. There was some pretty cool fight scenes in this episode and
Kisara doing her thing at the end of the episode was shocking
. So much so that
Enju, Tina and Rentaro were scared of Kisara
. She's basically gone full psycho!

Anyways I will say what I said at episode 4 of this show, it is better than it has any right to be. It was a well done episode with well placed music. The music is actually very underrated for this show. It's probably the best thing to come out of it. It was a fun romp even though the first few episodes were rough. I hope there is a second season and it isn't dropped here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BGBW as a guest on the Victor Bravo podcast? or something else?

EDIT: Bravo Whiskey podcast. I always mess that up. Just like Crazy Canuck and the episode number,haha.
I imagined it being separate, since it would be an in joke for probably me and me alone. lol
(Every single show in the universe has a recap podcast now, so why not SAO?)

Also, the old show was Alpha Victor, so that's probably where you got that from!

jman2050

No Game No Life 01

A world bound by rules. And yet people (or... mostly creatures and gods I guess) are still trying to cheat.

The rules explicitly allow cheating as long as you aren't caught during the game.

But then does it actually count as cheating?

See, fun AND thought-provoking, truly the perfect animu.

With your avatar and the "you can never have too much moe" this is very surprising.

I like cute things, not lewd things. The fanservice was way too much for me. Blank's attitude also bothered me. I was waiting for them to fail to knock them down a peg but it never happened. Everyone here gives SAO shit but NGNL has many of the same problems when it comes to the protagonist.

I stuck around for the reference and the almost TTGL levels of absurdity. However the high absurdity level was in almost every episode and it was getting tiring. I don't think I could handle the series if it was longer than 12 episodes.
How far did you watch? It takes a bit to accelerate.

I watched it while it aired and have finished it.

The rules explicitly allow cheating as long as you aren't caught during the game.

But then does it actually count as cheating?

See, fun AND thought-provoking, truly the perfect animu.

Mostly interested in what would happen if somebody is caught cheating for now :p

Thoraxes

Happy Birthday Hattori.
Happy Birthday Hattori!
Coming completely clean: It went COMPLETELY under my radar as well. I only started watching it because it won the AOTY award in here last year (Along with Firehawks massive textwall of pure unadulterated HYPE haha)

So glad I made the jump.

Hell, i'm glad you made the jump too. It's a great series. Glad you like it.

Narag

Everyone here gives SAO shit but NGNL has many of the same problems when it comes to the protagonist.

Difference is SAO is meant to be taken earnestly even if Kirito functions as a self-insert. NGNL is like that to a degree, yes, but it's much more satirical and self-aware, placing the NEETs in a world where they can challenge "God" himself since the rules of the world revolve around their lone specialty.

phaze

Baccano! - 8

I dunno about this episode title. Isaac and Miria clearly seemed intent on making Eve, Jaccuzi, and Ennis happy in this episode. You gotta love how seriously they make their exits, lol.

Just show that the Rail Tracer is Dallas already! I mean, he's involved with the immortality elixir business, taking an incomplete version for that matter in 1930. The Pussywagon incident happened in 1931, and nobody seems to know where this guy is in 1932.

The Rail Tracer is devouring people. It HAS to be Dallas.

Man, I can only imagine how many theories were being swapped around when this show was airing for those who didn't read the LN.

:lol You'll know soon enough.

cajunator

Banned
Code:
*97,587 ラブライブ! 2nd Season

Damn! That's not normal anymore.

Hoooooly shit. ALmost 100k?
That is phenomenal.

chaika 2

ehhhhh.... not feeling the story progression. Surely there will be twists 'dad wasn't really a bad guy?' but im feeling warning signs...

and chaika's speech impediment does nothing for me. I know its probably not the case, but it just makes me think of human traffic prostitutes that can barely speak the native tongue of w/e, dressed in fetish wear of sorts.

I have no clue why im feeling so down from this lol.

On the plus side, I did catch up on like the last 6 eps of jojo. Really good stuff. It feels like the animation quality is consistently good vs the last season or so. Jotaro is a great silent protag, his gramps still got it too.

Chaika's story gets a bit better but its not quite what youre expecting. I ll say that much.

Btw.

Good news for people that wanting S2, perhaps.

Sweet! A bit lower than I was hoping for but should be well within the successful range.

I finally found AnimeGAF. I should click tabs besides Gaming more often. So, I'm sure this has been discussed to death in this thread already but what're you guys picking up for the summer season? Mine are as follows:

Definite
Akame ga Kill!
Barakamon
Glasslip
Hanayamata
Jinsei
Persona 4 Golden
Hamatora
Sabagebu
SAOII
Tokyo ESP
Zankyou no Terror

Maybe
Tokyo Ghoul
Rail Wars!

I ended up with way more than I thought I would. And I also generally have more Maybes. This still won't hold a candle to how stupid fucking amazing Fall is shaping up to be, though.

Welcome to the madness!
Make yourself at home hehee.

Well, you've got me half figured out. Slice of life is my bread and butter. You should see my top 5 on MAL. Aria, K-On, Hidamari Sketch,
then suddenly Kino's Journey, and Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
. Slice of life is relaxing and makes shit days better.

But I rarely if ever talk shit about anything unless it made me rage irl. Like Black Bullet.

You have great tastes!

Just give me a Monster Musume, Centaur's Worries, and Dr. Hitomi's Infirmary anime.

I would love a Centaurs worries anime and I can think of someone else who would REALLY appreciate that as well.

Happy Birthday Hattori.

Happy Birthday!

Chariot

I like cute things, not lewd things. The fanservice was way too much for me. Blank's attitude also bothered me. I was waiting for them to fail to knock them down a peg but it never happened. Everyone here gives SAO shit but NGNL has many of the same problems when it comes to the protagonist.

I stuck around for the reference and the almost TTGL levels of absurdity. However the high absurdity level was in almost every episode and it was getting tiring. I don't think I could handle the series if it was longer than 12 episodes.

I can see why you didn't like it that much.
But I have to chip in when it comes to the SAO protagonist and blank. The difference is, how the protagonists are presented and how serious the show take itself. The way blank is walzing through every obstacle is funny, while Kirito is supposed to be epic and manly. In NGNL it isn't the question of conflics weither they win, but how, while Kirito can not lose because the plot says so, giving him special stuff out of nowwhere. Blank on the other hand plans and prepares beforehand. That's the thing I like in shows like Hunter x Hunter in contrast to shows like Naruto and SAO. People in the former win because they analyzed the situation and look how to fight the enemy, while protagonists of the latter just have immense luck that everything worked out fine for them, because they often hammer on their "brave"-trait.
Mind you, I never seen the second game of SAO, so I could miss something from there. But from what I heard, the things didn't get better.
I enjoyed NGNL, but I do have to agree with this. To be completely honest, I got far more invested with Mondaijitachi than NGNL.
Mondaijitachi was great, it just would've need a little more budget. Still waiting on the sequel.

Hayate no Gotoku! 10th anniversary OVA Vol.A

Do you like HnG!, then this is the OVA you been waiting, best narrator is back! YES! FUCKING NORIO WAKAMOTO narrating again. Even Athena shows up...
lol...;____;
The first part was Nagi playing with a
Wakamoto
remote car and Maria owning as always.
And...
8pGFicm.jpg

...Isumi and...
...Hinagiku <3
She was too cute in the mirror checking her "new ears".
I was surprised to hear KOTOKO's Hayate no Gotoku playing as the ending song, and impressed that I remembered that it was it, because it's been so long since I watched the first season of HnG!
Norio Wakamoto + Hinagiku made me end this OVA with this face:

Tenumi

Banned
I enjoyed NGNL, but I do have to agree with this. To be completely honest, I got far more invested with Mondaijitachi than NGNL.

I definitely enjoyed both, but I think I enjoyed the action in NGNL better, and the Characters of Problem Children better.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well since it's broadcast on a Saturday the weekend should be fine. I assume not straight afterwards to 1. let people collect their thoughts 2. give people a chance to watch it as not everyone watches something the moment it becomes available.

Difference is SAO is meant to be taken earnestly even if Kirito functions as a self-insert. NGNL is like that to a degree, yes, but it's much more satirical and self-aware, placing the NEETs in a world where they can challenge "God" himself since the rules of the world revolve around their lone specialty.

I get that it's supposed to be satirical, it doesn't make it any less boring to watch. I'm not sure why but KLK's satire worked for me but NGNL's did nothing for me.

On the comparisons with SAO, I think as a former MMO player who was one of the nerds who raided hardcore back in the day I enjoyed SAO (the first part at least) more than NGNL. It had the epic landscapes, crazy boss fights and MMO humor. This was enough to distract me from the awful dialog and characters.

EDIT: Log Horizon is still the best "trapped in a game" anime.

Mind you, I never seen the second game of SAO, so I could miss something from there. But from what I heard, the things didn't get better.
It got worse, so you're not missing much.

NGNL never grabbed me. I don't really understand the praise it gets here.

Don't worry, you aren't alone.

It has a few nice strategy based mind-battles (ep 6, ep 9?, and the final battle), but apart from that, the characters, the fanservice, the otakuness, the lack of tension because the MCs are mary/gary sue/stu in this world, it's all very mediocre. I watched half of it in a window while browsing.

Black Bullet 13 [END]

Anyways I will say what I said at episode 4 of this show, it is better than it has any right to be.

I haven't seen the last two episodes yet but that was basically my reaction to the show. I expected the absolute worse going in based on the series' description but ended up enjoying it

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Is this post "satire"?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well since it's broadcast on a Saturday the weekend should be fine. I assume not straight afterwards to 1. let people collect their thoughts 2. give people a chance to watch it as not everyone watches something the moment it becomes available.
Yeah, it doesn't have to be timely really. As long as it comes out in between episodes, for the true recap culture effect.

Jex

I've been slowly watching through Space Battleship Yamamoto. Up to episode 17 now, and all I can say is

WHY

IS

THIS

SHOW

SO

FUCKING

GOOD??

It's other-echelon good. I haven't run into an ep that wasn't an A yet. The hype in here while this show was airing must have been fuel for the soul.

There was literally zero hype while it was airing, actually.

cajunator

Banned

No Game No Life 01

A world bound by rules. And yet people (or... mostly creatures and gods I guess) are still trying to cheat.

Youve started a really fun series here. Enjoy it!

NGNL isnt reallyl ike SAO at all. for one it uses a lot of satire and self awareness isntead of self insertion fantasy. ALso Blank is two geniuses putting their heads together to solve problems. Kirito was just able to do anything in a videogame without much thought to it. NGNL was a far more thought out series.
As for the fanservice, it wasnt ever too bad.

Thanks. It's actually your fault I found AnimeGAF. Someone linked your reaction to the Lana trailer in a Hyrule Warriors thread.

Hehee. I forget what I said but it probably involved "Hnnnnng" or squeeing. Possibly also bouncing.

I looooove Mondaiji but NGNL was better overall I think. It felt more...complete if that makes sense.

I get that it's supposed to be satirical, it doesn't make it any less boring to watch. I'm not sure why but KLK's satire worked for me but NGNL's did nothing for me.

On the comparisons with SAO, I think as a former MMO player who was one of the nerds who raided hardcore back in the day I enjoyed SAO (the first part at least) more than NGNL. It had the epic landscapes, crazy boss fights and MMO humor. This was enough to distract me from the awful dialog and characters.

EDIT: Log Horizon is still the best "trapped in a game" anime.

It got worse, so you're not missing much.

Yes Log Horizon is easily the best in this genre. I have no such appreciation for MMOs so SAO did nothing for me.

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 27

I really feel like this is the episode where the whole series' tone turns around. I mean, Silent Voice, the new OP kicks in, Judau's Newtype powers manifest in such a way that he makes Haman Khan cry (and mind you she's currently in command of pretty much all of Earth.), Leina
gets shot
and that desperation that's been hounding the series up until now goes into full bloom as Judau's luck starts folding in on itself. The next episode is where that old timey Zeta depression kicks in and stuff starts getting bleak.

It was from this point onward that I really fell in love with the series.

The first season of Hayate is my favorite, so anything that approaches the anything-goes tone of that season is a welcome thing.

I wish it was as good as the anything-goes of the first season but it was good enough better than these last seasons, I forgot to add it needed Tama-chan and Klaus...who's Klaus? And I wanted Fumi-chan (°&#1044;°).

NGNL isnt reallyl ike SAO at all. for one it uses a lot of satire and self awareness isntead of self insertion fantasy. ALso Blank is two geniuses putting their heads together to solve problems. Kirito was just able to do anything in a videogame without much thought to it. NGNL was a far more thought out series.
As for the fanservice, it wasnt ever too bad.

I saw their "plans" as the writer coming up with lame excuses as to why they win. Most of their plans are implausible and sometimes don't even make any sense. This bothered me more than Kirito's "I'm awesome just cause".

cajunator

Banned
I saw their "plans" as the writer coming up with lame excuses as to why they win. Most of their plans are implausible and sometimes don't even make any sense. This bothered me more than Kirito's "I'm awesome just cause".

Ive seen some pretty elaborate planning in videogames from savvy people before. Its not beyond the realm of possibility for certain minded people.

I haven't seen the last two episodes yet but that was basically my reaction to the show. I expected the absolute worse going in based on the series' description but ended up enjoying it

Yeah it's not bad. It's not the most amazing thing ever but it is a fun show.

People got upset last week for really no reason I believe. We know how this world works. It was bound to happen.

Ive seen some pretty elaborate planning in videogames from savvy people before. Its not beyond the realm of possibility for certain minded people.

I've been deep in the Starcraft and DOTA metagames where strategy and planning are everything. Maybe it's because I've been that deep in the heavy strategy game scene that their plans come off as utterly ridiculous to me.

Hattori

Banned
Hattori has a Miyako avatar. Therefore he/she deserves the happiest of all birthdays.

Enjoy a full slice of bread with your water for lunch today!

Happy Birthday ^^

Have a pleasant birthday Hattori.

He has the worst pairing in Free though.

Also happy bbbirthday I guess. I don't check the thread much so I usually miss them.

Happy Birthday Hattori.

---

Haha, the return of BGBW's drawings.

Good timing! Haha.

Yeah, I missed a bunch from this last thread. Maybe I can keep more up to date with the next one.

Happy Birthday, Hattori!

I feel like it's a bad thing that I know which ones are.

4JCxwk8.gif

Happy Birthday Hattori!

Happy Birthday Hattori!

Recap podcast when?! lol

Happy hatori day

Happy Birthday Hattori. Have an uratora happy birthday!

Happy birthday Hattori

^_________________^

Happy Birthday Hattori!

Hell, i'm glad you made the jump too. It's a great series. Glad you like it.

Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday Hattori!
Thanks Everyone! 30mins and I finally get off work x)

You gotta remember the premise of the story: "Blank never loses."

cajunator

Banned
I've been deep in the Starcraft and DOTA metagames where strategy and planning are everything. Maybe it's because I've been that deep in the heavy strategy game scene that their plans come off as utterly ridiculous to me.

Its also a show though. Its fiction. that affords it some degree of believability in the context of the show. SAO is also afforded this but I wont give it that satisfaction.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Happy birthday Hattori!

Yeah, it is implausible, but at least they are already established as 'super gamer that defy common sense' from the very beginning, while Kirito established as guy who's great by playing the rules, then suddenly he found some way to break the rule when the moment need him to be (Yui arc, end of Aincrad and Elfheim).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom