• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankoto

For some reason my stream has to constantly buffer. Maybe this is divine intervention?

Edit:
I take that back. There was actually a problem with my router

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Bakumatsu Rock Episode 1:

I don't know what I was expecting, well, not the unlikely love child of Samurai Champloo, Free, K-On! and Love Live. Also, we seem to have a show the might give Free! a run for its money on the fushoji scale. Honestly, this first episode just left me kind of bored and that isn't really within my range of tastes.

sonicmj1

Log Horizon 5-6

This show is starting to remind me too much of duckroll and hitokage talking about GAF on the IRC.

The direction is pretty unremarkable so far. And maybe it's because I'm so used to late night anime, but I'm a little put off by all the recapping and explaining of basic terms at the start of each episode. But I find its focus on the community really interesting, and some of the gags make me smile. All this conspiratorial posing up of glasses...

The recurring "joke" of Henrietta dressing Akatsugi up against her will, on the other hand, is less funny.

Jex

The CG is maybe the smallest problem of the new Sailor Moon anime series. But why is Toei trying to kill the Sailor Moon franchise?

Other studios and production commitees would kill for a series with such a national and international appeal.

The CG is just indicative of the way Toei are handling this whole property. I mean, it's the iconic transformation sequence that you're going to see multiple times and they couldn't even be bothered to animate it with the same technique used to animate the rest of the series? Why would you do that?

It just seems like the production for this entire thing has been, and will continue to be, a mess.
Toei's internal CGi department is actually pretty good, at least relative to most other CG studios in the anime industry. So this was probably as good as they could make them with the time they had.

It should also be noted that Toei is overworking hundreds of their 2D animators right now with so many shows on their plate.

I'm sure most people with an understanding of the industry get this, however, all that matters to most people is that it's Sailor Moon gosh dang it, every part of the production for the series should be amazing! But then fans have had to deal with years of delays, then the revelations about the release schedule, then character designs, and now this on top of everything else.

Log Horizon 5-6

This show is starting to remind me too much of duckroll and hitokage talking about GAF on the IRC.

The direction is pretty unremarkable so far. And maybe it's because I'm so used to late night anime, but I'm a little put off by all the recapping and explaining of basic terms at the start of each episode. But I find its focus on the community really interesting, and some of the gags make me smile. All this conspiratorial posing up of glasses...

The recurring "joke" of Henrietta dressing Akatsugi up against her will, on the other hand, is less funny.
The show really hits its stride when it begins to basically only focus on Shirous plan to make the world a better place and how to abuse/break the system the mmo has set. If you don't like it there then I'd consider dropping it.

Jex

I've watched a lot of anime and I still think Cowboy Bebop is the pinnacle of anime.
Yeah, there's not much I'd rate off the top of my head over Cowboy Bebop. Monster, Wandering Son...maybe Baccano? There certainly aren't many.

I used to be that way but I think I could muster a pretty substantial list now, but that's only after seeing like 500+ shows. Cowboy Bebop has it's fair share of off and weaker episodes.

A.Woofington is right to say that there's an interesting trend of people being introduced to anime with Cowboy Bebop (which I've always found a bizarre idea considering how few shows are like it), which they obviously think is amazing and then they later might turn that around to say they've found far better stuff. There's certainly a "this is no longer" cool vibe about it.

The AU in the ED like first season.
BrjKyVjCQAAjuHS.png

Haha they arrested worst boy.

Jex

Kyoani knows their fans. Fujoshi are going to go crazy for Free

I think what helps in this case is not that they know their fans (which they do) but that they know their own tastes e.g. the people working on the show understand the appeal intimately. This makes for a more successful product then if just a random team of people were making it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Recently found two seasons of "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei" in my folder and wondered what that is and why I downloaded it. Turning into it I remembered reading a reddit comment that mentioned that show as being his favorite Shaft work, so I decided to check it out. Just forgot about it for some weeks :<

Anyways, finished the third episode some time ago and man, it's really good. Great soundtrack and quite funny so far. I'm not a big fan of putting in real faces for censoring or other funny jokes but eh, I can deal with that.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is so good. Would've loved Shaft to do a 4th season since the manga wrapped up way back already (it's never going to happen)

Clov

Just watched Free! Eternal Summer 01. A great start to the summer season! It's great seeing the cast back. I completely lost it when
they were introducing the club on stage. Just incredible.
The new opening and ending are pretty good, but neither of them are more catchy than "Splash Free!". Good visuals for them, though.

sonicmj1

One question about Log Horizon: Part of the reason that Serara was trapped was that someone in the PK guild was on her friends list. And the kids in the Hamelin (kinda on the nose there...) guild seem to be unable to just part ways with them. Why can't they just defriend the person, or just leave the abusive guild? Are there game systems that prevent them from doing so?

I think what helps in this case is not that they know their fans (which they do) but that they know their own tastes e.g. the people working on the show understand the appeal intimately. This makes for a more successful product then if just a random team of people were making it.

The positives of diverse hiring!

Mature

The CG is just indicative of the way Toei are handling this whole property. I mean, it's the iconic transformation sequence that you're going to see multiple times and they couldn't even be bothered to animate it with the same technique used to animate the rest of the series? Why would you do that?

It just seems like the production for this entire thing has been, and will continue to be, a mess.
Is there any chance they did a CG sequence for the sake of style over it just being something they're not bothered to hand draw?

phaze

Cowboy Bebop
Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell

Dat trifecta. Even to this day they still hold up as the greatest. Makes me even more disappointed in Space dandy.

Funnily enough, I got into anime about year ago with the express purpose of watching those three (they were about the only shows that I was vaguely aware of) but today I wouldn't rank either of them near my top.

Kyousougiga 5.5

An enjoyable go through the real life locales that served as inspiration for anime. And I finally learned just what the hell "Kyousougiga even means. Themoreyouknow.jpg

Kyousougiga 6

a1gnjyd.png
a22ojvz.png
a3s4jvc.png

Incest ruining another anime

B-B-Baka ! He doesn't like her like that. At least I hope so. For a girl whose last glimpse of real world was feudal Japan, Nase sure has good command of Greek mythology. Yakushimaru was kinda badass with those magical beads of his.

This was another great episode. Slower first half that expanded even more Myoue's past. His "Everyone always gets in my way" rant took quite a sinister meaning now. The show has been slow with moving the story forward preferring instead to spend time on character building but when they finally moved on from that, events spiraled out of control at frightening pace. I have absolutely no idea what happened in last 2 minutes but yeah, that touching and cruel cliffhanger ending happened. I'm feeling overwhelming urge to just marathon the rest of episodes but I want to pace myself and cherish the show for a few more days.

Amazing music in first half during flashback and some great animation during the combat sequences.

Koto was as awesome as ever.

Just watched Free! Eternal Summer 01. A great start to the summer season! It's great seeing the cast back. I completely lost it when
they were introducing the club on stage. Just incredible.
The new opening and ending are pretty good, but neither of them are more catchy than "Splash Free!". Good visuals for them, though.

Im glad they still make haru fast at getting ready for swimming.
tumblr_n83f48sQBu1swzth2o1_500.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Am I the only one reminded of Zoolander right now?

"Moisture is the essence of wetness. Wetness is the essence of beauty."

Merman! Mermaaaaaaan.

The plot of Free S2 should be about Haru practicing his new stroke, which he doesn't perfect until the very end of the season and ends up being exactly the same as all of his other strokes.

As a subplot, Rin discovers he's been brainwashed to kill the Australian Prime Minister at an international swim meet.

Theonik

It's significantly easier to do 3D movement in CG then 2D, which I'm sure is part of the reason. However, it's not like they don't know how to make stylish sequences in 2D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1fxff9LeEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4tPhStTGSw
In this instance it seems like a resource/time issue more than anything I would wager.
Doing CG for stock footage is pretty wasteful since any re-usability of the assets you get gets diminished by the fact that you are re-using the footage anyway.

Jex

In this instance it seems like a resource/time issue more than anything I would wager.
Doing CG for stock footage is pretty wasteful since any re-usability of the assets you get gets diminished by the fact that you are re-using the footage anyway.

Probably? I dunno, the entire thing is such a cluster fuck that it could be anything. There's CG in the OP too so I guess Toei just thinks that it looks good.
Just watched Hunter x Hunter 136. Served as a nice epilogue to the Chimera Ant arc, and a good set-up for the next arc. Still, I couldn't help but think that this arc would have been so much more concise and better paced if they cut out/didn't focus on certain characters. For example,
I really feel we wouldn't have lost much if we didn't have those episodes about the octopus and the wolf. Even the stuff with Palm becoming a chimera ant felt unnecessary with how late it actually happened.
I still would place this arc as my second favorite, since I think it has a lot of good in it. Interesting characters, great fight scenes, scenes that defied my expectations, and a pretty disturbing vibe overall. Yet this is an arc that absolutely could have benefited from trimming the fat, and here there is a lot of fat to trim.

While it's undeniable that the arc could have greatly benefited from fat-trimming I get the impression that the production team really didn't want to mess with the 'original vision' of the creator even if it would make a stronger story in the long run. There going for the definitive adaptation so they're going to have to include everything.

Of course, I'm also sure that they know there's not that much material to adapt so they have to take their sweet time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom