• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

I just ordered SAO this morning. noooooo
I know, right? Sale kicked in two days after release day which is when most people who had it preordered from somewhere probably got it delivered (like me). Feels kinda evil.
Thankfully, I had ordered it along with a S&W novel that was cheaper than the ones currently on sale are (now that all of Yen's novels seem to be locked at $12 on Amazon) so I was only out about a buck compared to what I could have gotten it for in this sale. Could've been worse.

You can still preorder volume 2 for only $8.70, though! $3 cheaper than Amazon.

Zeppeli

Banned
I stopped going to Arby's because I always got cold food and I get as much meat on the dollar sandwich as I do the classic roast beef. Roy Rogers is the roast beef chain of the gods, and I pity anyone who doesn't live near one. It's, like, one of the only things keeping me where I live.

I stopped going to Arby's because I always got bad food and I get as much meat on the dollar sandwich as I do out of the homeless shelter.

Branduil

Sadly I don't live in Texas anymore.

This too.

I mean, I can understand being a snob and dismissing all fast food whatsoever. But I can't understand singling out Arby's as the fast food restaurant deserving of special scorn. If there's a restaurant that deserves to be singled out it's McDonalds. They're everywhere and their food is absolutely dreadful.

Well it goes without saying that McDonald's is bad. If I want a cheap burger I go to In-N-Out.

As far as "guilty pleasures" go the worst I'll do is Del Taco.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I was distinctly unimpressed by the Roy Rogers burger I had recently; it was dry, barely better than your average McDonalds burger. Though perhaps it was a bad location, being in a turnpike service area and all.

You got a bad one, then. I live by a dedicated, freestanding one (which are, admittedly, much rarer in a rare chain to begin with) and the sandwiches are always moist, juicy, fresh, and hugely loaded with meat for the price. They also have the best barbecue sauce of any fast-food chain; it's even on pump next to a free fixings bar.

Narag

I know, right? Sale kicked in two days after release day which is when most people who had it preordered from somewhere probably got it delivered (like me). Feels kinda evil.
Thankfully, I had ordered it along with a S&W novel that was cheaper than the ones currently on sale are (now that all of Yen's novels seem to be locked at $12 on Amazon) so I was only out about a buck compared to what I could have gotten it for in this sale. Could've been worse.

You can still preorder volume 2 for only $8.70, though! $3 cheaper than Amazon.

Will probably save it as filler on a future amazon order for free shipping. Thanks though!

Jarmel

Banned
I get the feeling Jackson intends for the hobbit to be watched before lotr when it's all said and done what with all the little additions, I guess, for stupid viewers so they don't have to actually infer what athelas or a morgul blade is later on.
I don't know. So much of the additions to The Hobbit have basically been fanservice for people who liked Lord of the Rings. It feels very much like Jackson feels obligated to make 'more Lord of the Rings' and is shoehorning all that stuff into The Hobbit so that people who loved the previous films will enjoy it more.

I think it's sort of both. He's trying to tie the Hobbit into the LOTR movies better but also use it as fanservice. Like the amount of time Legolas gets just to be NTR'd is fanservice, but it also serves to show his character development in the LOTR.

Head up, a weeklong Yen Press sale just kicked in earlier today over at Right Stuf, meaning this is a good chance to collect the entire Haruhi novel series or all of the currently released Spice & Wolf books.

Or the first volume of SAO, if you so choose.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/news/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000006683&ReturnTo=Main

And for my part, I must ask again: is the Book Girl series recommended?
What's the usual shipping time for Economy shipping in the US? Prime has spoiled the shit out of me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I actually liked Arby's back when there was an experimental location called Arby's Roast Town that opened up around me back in the 90s. It had a huge selection of great premium sandwiches, sides, desserts, and was generally just a classier establishment in general. It only lasted a few years, though, and ended up being retrofitted into a regular depressing Arby's some time in the mid-00s. Jerks.

Also, Arby's are bastards for no longer having Onion Petal Sauce and horseradish on tap.

Branduil

Speaking of disappointing fast food, I recently tried Mooyah and I couldn't believe how bland the burger was. I mean the fries and milkshakes were good, but not enough to make up for just how flavorless and overpriced the burger was. It was more expensive than Smashburger for 10% of the flavor.

Articalys

What's the usual shipping time for Economy shipping in the US? Prime has spoiled the shit out of me.
Dunno exactly -- probably depends on how close you live to their Iowa warehouse. Forget how long it took for the couple of packages that I ordered while I was out in Cali, but I'm in the Midwest now and got my most recent Economy order in a couple of days.

Blade & Soul - 04

Woooooooooow. The last 5 minutes were absolutely cringe worthy. I mean you have
Alka chilling there at the grave site of the little girl's brother and instead of giving some sort of apology, eulogy or whatever, you simply just walk away uttering "I need to find someone"?
The fuuuuuuuuuck outta here! lololol
I can't say it enough alka character devellopment is FLAWED unless she hit her head and gain a split personality , it's already over... the alka death tool is just too high , now..can't wait to see how many people will die next week.

Oh shit you guys reminded me Dark Souls II is out.

LATER.

YOU DEFEATED.

If I could have a moment, I'd just like to remind everyone again what kind of show selector infected WIXOSS truly is.

Because, you know, this is just one of those things that happens between high school girls.

Why no screen of the last part with Iona leaning over heh.

Detective Conan 311:
That Gin and Vodka pursuit was amazing. The anime fully executed on all of the heart stopping and creating the sense of Conan being completely trapped like a rat. The music during that whole sequence was great. The whole episode actually had great music, especially the epilogue scene. Conan went head to head with them, and he lost, and was tremendously luck that Gin's common sense got the better of him when it did. Still, he also managed to pull one over on them for most of the night, and even if his lead evaporated, he learned some new information.

I really enjoy seeing Vodka a bit out of his element here. He's clearly a capable guy without Gin, and pretty perceptive, but he also was about to get tricked by Conan. Gin showing up to stop him from going any further was a great moment. The end of the episode really showed how Conan's arrogance had gotten the better of him, and we're back to probably Conan's biggest flaw: his inability to let even his closest allies in on his plans. He needs to start actually letting Haibara know what's up one day.

Eusis

Well except for Aikawa. He's just a hack writer that shouldn't been hired in the first place. I would be fine if he never worked in the industry again. Fucker also did Conqueror of Shamballa.
Conquerer of Shamballa? Enough to make me dislike whatever you're talking about!

Some Eureka 7 thing now that I looked back.

Should I watch Baby Steps, since I heard the manga is good so yeah.

Honestly just read the manga. The adaptation's animation has been iffy, and the manga is well-done and very far away to the point the anime won't be catching up in ages. I love the manga but the anime only served as my introduction to the manga.

So far
AOTY
Hunter X Hunter

Great
No Game No Life
Is the requested article a Lepus curpaeums?

Good
777's buried treasure
Onii Sama~
Black Bullet

Watching just because
We+

Not watching yet
Card games on hippos
Chaika

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I can't say it enough alka character devellopment is FLAWED unless she hit her head and gain a split personality , it's already over... the alka death tool is just too high , now..can't wait to see how many people will die next week.

Indeed. I mean shit, when you have
kids getting riddled with bullets
anything is fair game.

jgminto

I guess I'll do a new list

Toppest Tier:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Mushishi Zoku Shou
Ping Pong

Top Tier:

Haikyuu
Yowamushi Pedal
Hunter x Hunter

Almost Top Tier:
One Week Friends
Baby Steps
Ace of Diamond

Entertaining Filth Tier:
No Game No Life

Boring Filth (with good music) Tier:
Mahouka

Boomerang and Technobabble Tier:
Captain Earth (dropped)

Articalys

Super late, I don't care, it was a slow sales week anyway, SALES TIME

Full weekly sales for April 14 - 20:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1277

Updated Winter Vol.1 Rankings (not necessarily representative of long-term series sales due to possible ticket effects, other bonuses/factors, etc.)
17,285 *2 Hoozuki no Reitetsu 2014/04/09 [BD/DVD]
*8,483 *5 Mikakunin de Shinkoukei 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD]
*7,437 *3 Nisekoi 2014/03/26 [BD/DVD]
*7,200 *2 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD]
*6,939 *3 Noragami 2014/03/26 [BD/DVD]
*5,917 *2 Saki Zenkoku-hen 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD]
*4,758 *2 Witch Craft Works 2014/03/26 [BD]
*4,095 *2 Seitokai Yakuindomo* 2014/02/19 [BD/DVD]
*4,057 *3 Wake Up, Girls! 2014/03/28 [BD]
*3,766 *2 Maken-ki! 2 2014/03/28 [BD/DVD]
*3,962 *2 Nourin 2014/04/09 [BD/DVD] [+]
*3,611 *1 Super Sonico the Animation 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD]
*2,768 *1 Sekai Seifuku ~Bouryaku no Zvezda~ 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD] [●]
*2,691 *1 D-Frag! 2014/03/26 [BD/DVD] [●]
*2,555 *1 Sakura Trick 2014/03/19 [BD/DVD]
*2,346 *2 Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. 2014/03/28 [BD/DVD] [●]
*1,742 *1 Saikin, Imouto no Yosuga Chotto Okashiinda ga. 2014/03/26 [BD/DVD] [●]
*1,141 *1 Buddy Complex 2014/03/26 [BD]
**,822 *1 Z/X Ignition 2014/04/02 [BD/DVD]
**,610 *1 Wizard Barristers 2014/04/02 [BD/DVD] [●]
**,301 *1 Mahou Sensou 2014/04/18 [BD/DVD] [●]
**,229 *1 Strange+ 2014/04/18 [BD/DVD] [single volume release] [●]

No data whatsoever (never charted):
**,*** *0 Onee-chan ga Kita 2014/03/22 [BD]
**,*** *0 pupa 2014/03/28 [BD/DVD]

A [●] symbol indicates partial data, usually meaning only BD numbers.
New entries bolde... ahahaha who the hell cares, they both cratered into the ground.

Notes:

Jex

omg, so happy

Fun fact, this is the first anime blu-ray ive purchased since the original Bandai Visual Akira BD (which is now OOP)

It's an upscale obviously, but it looks really good and really emphasizes just how crazy fucking good this show looked at it's best.

BONES weren't fucking around.

Thoraxes

Cool, thanks. As long as it's not too distracting in motion I can live with it. Not like there's any other options without hundreds of dollars importing, and I'm not sure if those even have English subs.
I guess I'll have a look at my TV settings to see what I might have that can help. Anyone familiar with Samsung TVs?

I have the BDs and am watching it on a Samsung 55" SmartTV.

You and your girlfriend are walking home, right after the sunset. You haven't seen each other in awhile and she looks gorgeous. All of a sudden, you run across one of your old friends in a dark alley near your house. He punches you in the face and ties you up, leaving some wiggle room but you can't escape. You have to watch as he grabs your girlfriend, kisses her, and pulls her panties down. You just have no other option but to sit there and watch all the while she's having sex with him. She's kissing him back and they're really going at it. You start to get turned on because it's your girlfriend and she looks amazing and the only thing you can do is beat off to the scene while crying. When it's all over and you're spent, along with your friend inside her, all that's left is a void of disgust. Not just for your ex-friend but also yourself for even enjoying a second of the show in front of your eyes. There's a ball of hatred that just eats at you and the only question resounding in your head is "Why"?

My goodness.

I don't know how to respond to this.

Midonin

Escha & Logy 03

Part 2 of the save the town's water quest, and a bit more action-y than previous episodes, but it still doesn't feel like an action focused show. It's more pastoral and peaceful than the closest show I can think of to it, Chaika. That may yet give it an edge, in my personal and also completely arbitrary rankings. Wilbel's pumpkin spell was pretty neat, and that girl who's been foreshadowed to be of some importance in the ruins has awakened. Her little flying lion partner is adorable.

Which is as good a jumping off point as any to say that one of the first things I notice in any show is the color palette it chooses to use. And I like what this show has going for it, with the purples/blues and golds, with the occasional light green. It's a very calming sort of atmosphere, and that it puts emphasis on the violet tones isn't something I've seen in too many shows - it's usually more of a blue/white mix when you're going for that country feel. (Like Sketchbook).

One of the things I really like about it is the constant changes to the world it makes. It happens faster than you expect. More often than not there's a pretty big game changer that sets into motion other events that happen in the series.

But if it has one bad thing that is honestly a guilty pleasure of mine with the show, is that I really like how much of a troll the author is.

Every single time you think the show is going to take a really dark turn, Hiro Mashima blows a whistle and everything descends into nakama power ups with badass theme music playing. And after a certain point in the show, you begin to notice the pattern. It happens every. Single. Arc.
Yeah, that's something I quite like about it. If Fairy Tail was dark sometimes, killed off major (non-evil) characters, etc... I probably wouldn't still be following it. I like that it's usually positive at its core!
And yeah, that's why I sort of had an issue with the Fairy Tail movie...
It's a fun series with good pacing, none of the usual annoyingly endless fights that are all over Naruto and the like, female characters who actually do fight, and often (unlike some shonens!), fanservice, that silly "nakama will solve everything" tone... yeah, it's fun stuff.

I like this because I find it hilarious cause there are a lot of moments where you really think he's going to do something else for once, then NOPE!
For a perfect example of this, recently in the manga they had one of those classic Mashima troll moments, and it was really quite amusing.
So Wendy saves the day and saves everyone, but is going to sacrifice herself because Charle can't get away and she probably can't either. So, there's a touching goodbye scene, complete with flashbacks and everything. The thing blows up...

...And then we see that Gerard zoomed in and saved them both at the last possible moment. GERARD! :D Of course it had to be him. :lol
Oh Mashima you amusing troll... that was really the perfect ending to that chapter. Couldn't have gone better. :)

Puchimas!! 22

More poverty idol action.

Atelier Escha & Logy 03

This adaptation is definitely starting to feel like its cracks are showing. The plot's getting shifted around for the sake of the adaptation I guess. While it doesn't hurt and I guess it saves the effort of doing multiple events, it still feels a bit jarring.

My main beef is mainly with the focus on Wilbell who was pretty much a side character in the game pretty much getting promoted to a main character here. It's definitely feeling like she's taking away the focus from the other characters, especially with that grand show in the battle.

The action wasn't much though I guess that's expected. The animation is still wonky at times and it's getting noticeable.

I guess I'm expecting too much of out this.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Why is AnimeGAF always talking about food? It makes me crave whatever is being talked about.

Does that weird guy who always posts pictures of food from anime still post here? It was really creepy. After a post, of food... he would go away for hours and then come back relaxed :(

sorry :3... don't ban me <3

CorvoSol

Zeta Gundam 23

So I think that seeing it in Japanese is part of the reason I am definitely enjoying Zeta Gundam more this time around. The other reason is now I know ahead of time what parts I'm not going to like and I can kinda cut those parts off from pissing me off. The thing with Zeta is that it does an impressive job at building an interesting sci fi world and then populating it with characters who are rarely good. I don't exactly mean to spit on Zeta in particular for this, but I'd say that compared to its predecessor Zeta's cast has two problems: first, its much larger, which leads to the second: that Zeta's cast is far less developed or rounded out or whatever than Mobile Suit Gundam's. MSG had like, ten main characters at any given time, so it was easier to focus on their feelings and personalities, where Zeta tries and just simply does not have enough time for everyone. There's a scene at the end of this episode where Kamille comforts Fa after the battle's shaken her up, but it feels oddly empty, even though they went and showed Fa freaking out during the battle. I can't decide if the reason it feels this way is because its poorly executed, or simply because it feels slightly by the books. At the same time, however, there's an oddly endearing scene where Emma hands Torres a package, causing him to be excited, only to tell him it is from Kamille, which pulls the rug out from under him until he realizes what it is. It's brief, ultimately meaningless, but surprisingly genuine.

In any case, definitely enjoying Zeta a whole lot more this second time through. Decided in this episode that I kinda like the Methuss, even if it is a weird banana mobile suit.

Nanana Treasure 3

This show has been betraying expectations in the most dull way possible. I keep hoping that main dude pulls some Kaiji-esq display of unexpected wit to wow the other characters, but it never happens. We're even lead to believe that
main dude and detective girl are going to pull off some crazy escape in the ruin room based on glasses douche's "those two will be fine" line. Their method of escape: calling the cops to save them....

Very close to dropping this. If no one does anything interesting by next episode, I'm bailing.

Articalys

Ping Pong ep.3

I don't know if I'm just used to it by now or what, but the art style isn't bothering me anywhere near as much as it did in episode 1.

Time to invoke my usual query for the staff nerds to explain by telling me who Shinya Ohira is, what he's known for, and why I should care that he did the OP (which is a nice OP, though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom