• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Christ, you guys post way too much.

Yuri Dogs & Cats ep.3

Finally.
Nice endcard from Sukeno too.

Gochiusa ep.3

This might be one of the best slice-of-life comedies I've seen in the last few years. It just feels that well put-together. The character interactions and timing are fantastic, and the random out-of-nowhere
Metal Gear reference
in this episode was hilarious. I think this series has reached my top tier for the season along with CE, Jojo, and Mushishi.

Nanana ep.3

Well, this just got about ten times more interesting. Tensai's obviously the best character so far.

-------------------------------

Time to do thread catch-up again.

cnet128

Banned
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin 3

Tensai continues to be bestest tier, Dark continues to be goddammit-why-do-you-have-to-have-a-penis tier.

As for the plot, it thickens. The treasure room itself wasn't all that interesting, but the treasure and...other developments...were totally worth it. Bring on next week.

Dead

well not really...yet
Well it certainly isn't Eureka.
That picture is the cover to the final DVD of the original series. It's basically meant to evoke the feel of the entire series and give a glimpse into a future after the series ends (human coralian co-existing,returning to the inner crust, surfin waves etc)

Andrew J.

What I'm watching this season, ranked from most to least favorite:

Stardust Crusaders
Captain Earth
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san
Knights of Sidonia
Nobunaga the Fool
M3
Akuma No Riddle

Dropped Dai Shogun.

Jarmel

Banned
NO.

NO WE DID NOT.

You and your girlfriend are walking home, right after the sunset. You haven't seen each other in awhile and she looks gorgeous. All of a sudden, you run across one of your old friends in a dark alley near your house. He punches you in the face and ties you up, leaving some wiggle room but you can't escape. You have to watch as he grabs your girlfriend, kisses her, and pulls her panties down. You just have no other option but to sit there and watch all the while she's having sex with him. She's kissing him back and they're really going at it. You start to get turned on because it's your girlfriend and she looks amazing and the only thing you can do is beat off to the scene while crying. When it's all over and you're spent, along with your friend inside her, all that's left is a void of disgust. Not just for your ex-friend but also yourself for even enjoying a second of the show in front of your eyes. There's a ball of hatred that just eats at you and the only question resounding in your head is "Why"?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
WIXOSS 04

Another week, another round of PABLO POWER, this time featuring PABLO BALL.

af8TTW9l.jpg
b5GQhBAl.jpg

7HVdleNl.jpg
9viLwj0l.jpg

HVh8vvtl.jpg
kxjX0gal.jpg

You and your girlfriend are walking home, right after the sunset. You haven't seen each other in awhile and she looks gorgeous. All of a sudden, you run across one of your old friends in a dark alley near your house. He punches you in the face and ties you up, leaving some wiggle room but you can't escape. You have to watch as he grabs your girlfriend, kisses her, and pulls her panties down. You just have no other option but to sit there and watch all the while she's having sex with him. She's kissing him back and they're really going at it. You start to get turned on because it's your girlfriend and she looks amazing and the only thing you can do is beat off to the scene while crying. When it's all over and you're spent, along with your friend inside her, all that's left is a void of disgust. Not just for your ex-friend but also yourself for even enjoying a second of the show in front of your eyes. There's a ball of hatred that just eats at you and the only question resounding in your head is "Why"?

Basically how I felt with Madoka Rebellion.

Yeah, fuck Rebuild 3

Articalys

omg, so happy

Fun fact, this is the first anime blu-ray ive purchased since the original Bandai Visual Akira BD (which is now OOP)

It's an upscale obviously, but it looks really good and really emphasizes just how crazy fucking good this show looked at it's best.

Funimation actually somewhat fucked up as the brightness is higher compared to the Japanese BDs.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/71683
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/71684

The banding issues are much more prominent and the colors look a little washed out in comparison.

Oh and speaking in general, I've been going through sakuga wiki and E7 really did have some phenomenal air sequences. It probably has the best air combat sequences in all of anime. The only two I can think of that might compare is Cowboy Bebop and CCA. TV series-wise, it's definitely at the top. The camerawork is absolutely phenomenal.

Im not surprised, Funimation are pretty garbage.

Its actually a big reason why I buy so little anime now. Pretty much all remaining US distributors are garbage at image quality control (and overall presentation). If you want something decent you have to fork over the money for something R2 sourced (ie aniplex) or buy direct from Japan, and im not enough of an animu fan anymore to spend that kind of money (nevermind I can think of very few shows these days worth the premium either)

But the R2 Eureka sets didnt have enough added value for me to fork over the money so ill settle for this for now (plus I originally bought the R2 DVDs as well and that cost around $1000 total. Got your $800 beat :p Money I don't regret spending either FYI)
Okay, so... what am I supposed to take away from this? Does the R1 BD look like garbage in motion, or are the issues not enough to drag your attention out of the show? Is it enough of a problem that even if I wanted E7 on BD I should still say away from it? Dead says it looks great... any other impressions from people who have it?

Who took a dookie in your cereal?

Articalys

Anyway, while I'm waiting on an answer to that Eureka Seven question, more crossword puzzle tales. At one point during the puzzle today, I had this collection of letters on their own, with nothing else around:
Code:
  M
G A
E N
T E
And this time, for whatever reason, in my head I ignored the T and promptly rearranged the other letters into "megane".

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyway, while I'm waiting on an answer to that Eureka Seven question, more crossword puzzle tales. At one point during the puzzle today, I had this collection of letters on their own, with nothing else around:
If you like the show, it's worth it, it still looks great. At the end of the day you get what you pay for though, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also, my TV has features that combat color banding and fixing the gamma takes care of the brightness issue, so im not too concerned.

cnet128

Banned
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 4

Really I think our intrepid MC should have been able to work out that taking any kind of advice from Sayaka of all people was never going to be a good idea.

At any rate, this episode provided my weekly dose of drowning in Ritsu adorableness, so it gets a thumbs-up from me. Such cute. Very waifu.

Well we got AO didn't we?

ihMWIK92YwxRq.gif

Midonin

School Days 05-09

It looks like I stopped just before the other shoe fell. I'm also feeling really, really bad for Kotonoha. She's innocent, and even her attempts at using what she knows is her sex appeal and claiming it for her own doesn't work when Makoto has both too many conflicting signals and an inability to say "no". And a tendency to start grabbing girls' (mostly Sekai's) butts that indicates he has something with space issues. It's clear none of this is accidental, though the school environment certainly isn't helping. Eros is a part of many anime, but not even Watamote went as far as to have a school-based secret love hotel operating out of the haunted house. If Kotonoha had walked in, that would be scarier than any specter that thing could conjure up. The foreshadowing/metaphors remain obvious as possible, especially with the play Setsuna witnessed.

Looking at the history of things, this was Overflow's 10th game, so I'm sure people getting into this knew exactly what to expect.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If I could have a moment, I'd just like to remind everyone again what kind of show selector infected WIXOSS truly is.

Consider the mind of Mari Okada, where
Akira, a psychopathic fashion model who wants to duel against the protagonist Ruko, lies to several of Ruko's classmates that Ruko is her friend and tells them that she'll let them tour her studio if they can pressure Ruko into going to the studio by telling her about Akira's promise with the added implication that Akira is expecting them to visit. When Ruko's friend sees through the plot and refuses to allow Ruko to go with the girls, the girls explode with rage, culminating in a school-wide frenzied pursuit of Ruko and her friend by numerous crazed girls who are now willing to kidnap a fellow classmate at school during school hours in broad daylight. Ruko and her friend have to hide in the gym storage shed to avoid capture but are found and forcibly taken to Akira anyway. This massive coordinated aggression against a student is not met with the slightest bit of surprise, opposition, or reprimand by anyone.

Because, you know, this is just one of those things that happens between high school girls.

Articalys

If you like the show, it's worth it, it still looks great. At the end of the day you get what you pay for though, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also, my TV has features that combat color banding and fixing the gamma takes care of the brightness issue, so im not too concerned.
Cool, thanks. As long as it's not too distracting in motion I can live with it. Not like there's any other options without hundreds of dollars importing, and I'm not sure if those even have English subs.
I guess I'll have a look at my TV settings to see what I might have that can help. Anyone familiar with Samsung TVs?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ah yes, it has come to the time to lock down the list of the watching.

The Holy Trinity of Spring
Ping Pong The Animation
JoJo Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Mushishi Zoku Shou

The Dark Horse Trio
Majin Bone
Ace No Diamond
Baby Steps

Shorts:

Tonari no Seki-kun
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san

On The Bubble:
Akuma No Riddle
The World Is Still Beautiful

Newly Dropped:
Nanana's Buried Treasure
Soul Eater NOT

Broke My Heart:
Captain Earth
Kawai Complex
One Week Romance
Knights of Sidonia

The Fuck Off And Die For You Are Killing Anime Selection:

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to
Kenzen Robo Daimidaler
Abarenbou Kishi!! Matsutarou

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If I could have a moment, I'd just like to remind everyone again what kind of show selector infected WIXOSS truly is.

Consider the mind of Mari Okada, where
Akira, a psychopathic fashion model who wants to duel against the protagonist Ruko, lies to several of Ruko's classmates that Ruko is her friend and tells them that she'll let them tour her studio if they can pressure Ruko into going to the studio by telling her about Akira's promise with the added implication that Akira is expecting them to visit. When Ruko's friend sees through the plot and refuses to allow Ruko to go with the girls, the girls explode with rage, culminating in a school-wide frenzied pursuit of Ruko and her friend by numerous crazed girls who are now willing to kidnap a fellow classmate at school during school hours in broad daylight. Ruko and her friend have to hide in the gym storage shed to avoid capture but are found and forcibly taken to Akira anyway. This massive coordinated aggression against a student is not met with the slightest bit of surprise, opposition, or reprimand by anyone.

Because, you know, this is just one of those things that happens between high school girls.

So SDBurton has watched this twenty times then?!

:Izayoi

Mothman91

Mushishi and Pingpong are the really good shows this season?

Watching Code Geass atm and going to watch first season of mushishi then catch up to those 2 afterwards.

Keiichi Hara (Summer Days with Coo, Colorful) has got a new film coming next year!

ibGI8Zb.jpg

The time: 1814.

The place: Edo, now known as Tokyo. One of the highest populated cities in the world, teeming with peasants, samurai, townsmen, merchants, nobles, artists, courtesans, and perhaps even supernatural things.

A much accomplished artist of his time and now in his mid-fifties, Tetsuzo can boast clients from all over Japan, and tirelessly works in the garbage-loaded chaos of his house-atelier. He spends his days creating astounding pieces of art, from a giant-size Bodhidharma portrayed on a 180 square meter-wide sheet of paper, to a pair of sparrows painted on a tiny rice grain. Short-tempered, utterly sarcastic, with no passion for sake or money, he would charge a fortune for any job he is not really interested in.

Third of Tetsuzo's four daughters and born out of his second marriage, outspoken 23-year-old O-Ei has inherited her father's talent and stubbornness, and very often she would paint instead of him, though uncredited. Her art is so powerful that sometimes leads to trouble. "We're father and daughter; with two brushes and four chopsticks, I guess we can always manage, in a way or another."

Decades later, Europe was going to discover the immense talent of Tetsuzo. He was to become best known by one of his many names: Katsushika Hokusai. He would mesmerize Renoir and van Gogh, Monet and Klimt.

However, very few today are even aware of the woman who assisted him all his life, and greatly contributed to his art while remaining uncredited. This is the untold story of O-Ei, Master Hokusai's daughter: a lively portrayal of a free-spirited woman overshadowed by her larger-than-life father, unfolding through the changing seasons.

It's an adaptation of the manga Sarusuberi by Hinako Sugiura. Looks neat!

Crocodile

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

Ok I've never seen Eureka Seven: AO so I have no idea what it does to the legacy of the original series but can we not fucking do whatever the fuck you are doing with this graphic analogy? You sound worse than any of those "shitty thing X raped my childhood" people. Like chill the out dood, its just fucking anime. Talk about hyperbole, ain't nobody looking good here right now :/

Narag

Ok I've never seen Eureka Seven: AO so I have no idea what it does to the legacy of the original series but can we not fucking do whatever the fuck you are doing with this graphic analogy? You sound worse than any of those "shitty thing X raped my childhood" people. Like chill the out dood, its just fucking anime. Talk about hyperbole, ain't nobody looking good here right now :/

Seems in-line, if not less angry, than the actual weekly impressions. I think I remember the exact moment madp's heart broke during the OVA too.

Ping Pong 2:
This is a really good show. I'm not even really sure if I can say anything substantial or interesting about this show (certainly not something that thirty people haven't already said), but it's just such a joy to watch. The visuals are great, and the music is very strong. This is definitely a standout of the season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seems in-line, if not less angry, than the actual weekly impressions. I think I remember the exact moment madp's heart broke during the OVA too.
I think the thing that makes it worse is how it forces its way into an already established continuity so haphazardly. Like, it could just be another Star Driver or Heroman or some other Bones show that no one cares about, but instead it ruins the memory of a previously, well-liked (by everyone except cosmicblizzard) text.

Narag

I think the thing that makes it worse is how it forces its way into an already established continuity so haphazardly. Like, it could just be another Star Driver or Heroman or some other Bones show that no one cares about, but instead it ruins the memory of a previously, well-liked (by everyone except cosmicblizzard) text.

My only experience with the show is osmosis in here (much like you with Gundam) and the tears the AO OVA brought. Sometimes I wonder if I'm fortunate in that regard!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
So SDBurton has watched this twenty times then?!

I actually dropped this show, but it looks like maybe I was a bit hasty in doing so? :p

===============================

Blade & Soul - 04

Woooooooooow. The last 5 minutes were absolutely cringe worthy. I mean you have
Alka chilling there at the grave site of the little girl's brother and instead of giving some sort of apology, eulogy or whatever, you simply just walk away uttering "I need to find someone"?
The fuuuuuuuuuck outta here! lololol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My only experience with the show is osmosis in here (much like you with Gundam) and the tears the AO OVA brought. Sometimes I wonder if I'm fortunate in that regard!
You're old enough that someone you cared about must have been ruined by a rebootmake at some point!

don't remind me because I finally managed to forget
Isn't it neat how Ao crossdressed and looked exactly like Eureka?

Dead

well not really...yet
The only good thing that came out of AO was LAMA's sweet cover/remake of Niji. (dont ask why I havent changed my avatar lol, just cant be assed, though sums up reaction to the show quite well)

It's so fitting that the song feels so bittersweet, like a reminder of what could have been :(

Jarmel

Banned
There are horrible sequels. Like crappy straight to DVD sequels full of shitty writing that either everybody hates or forgets. Then there's AO. AO deserves to be in that BTTF gif more than Spider-Man 3. It attempts very hard to shit not only on itself but also to reach inside your mind and rip out your memories, only to shit on them too. It goes to great lengths to fucking disgrace the original series.

It really is like the anime version of the Star Wars prequels.

Fuck, I'm getting pissed just thinking about this shit. Fuck you Kyoda and Aikawa. Straight up fuck you.

cnet128

Banned
selector infected WIXOSS 4

More heartwarming making-friends stuff, more Okadatastic drama stuff.

Would certainly like to know what the two avatars are alluding to that Tama, and presumably their Selectors, aren't aware of. Clearly there's more to this whole winning/losing thing than just granting wishes. Just waiting for some kind of terrible price for the final loss to be revealed.

Really though I just want to see Ruuko battle Akira already. In the immortal words of Tama, BATTLE! BATTLE!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's okay man, Abrams can't hurt you anymore. :(
Are you ready for Star Trek III: Search for Orci. Written and directed by Orci!

I will say, for whatever reason JJ Trek killed me way more than the PT. Maybe it's because the NJO/post-NJO did so much to fanfiction up the Star Wars canon that it lost all meaning anyway, or maybe I just didn't have as much of an investment in the franchise (despite still owning the OT in that VHS box set).

I don't think he's 100% serious. But then again every other time I've seen him post an impression of a show this season it has been "this show was such fucking horseshit that I'm going to be so nitpicky about every issue I had with it to the point I'll make you feel bad about enjoying it GOD DAMN MURICA"

Jarmel

Banned

I thought you were joking, then I googled it.

:(

Come the fuck on. Well better that than Star Wars I guess.

I don't think he's 100% serious. But then again every other time I've seen him post an impression of a show this season it has been "this show was such fucking horseshit that I'm going to be so nitpicky about every issue I had with it to the point I'll make you feel bad about enjoying it GOD DAMN MURICA"

Well I do like Ping Pong a lot and I have been somewhat defending Captain Planet.

Dresden

He's just there to Finish the Fight (against your childhood).

Guess I should be glad that by the time someone (Peter Jackson) came along to destroy what I loved as a child (The Hobbit), I didn't really care about it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom