• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Well, my position is that you don't discard that stuff, but celebrate it.

At this point I'd tend to agree with you, although from a perspective that is more understanding of the creators' own intentions being in line with that effect.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
At this point I'd tend to agree with you, although from a perspective that is more understanding of the creators' own intentions being in line with that effect.

Fair enough, but considering that his work includes Planetes and Infinite Ryvius, I have trouble believing he was putting his all into Geass.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is AzuManga now considered a thing of the past or is it still recommended to watch as kind of the originator of SoL anime. Then again I know many say that one should read the manga instead. I admit I haven't looked up all the shows of Jex's list but SoL is kind of the hot topic animation for a variety of reason so someone wanting to get the broad picture of the medium should at least see one.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is AzuManga now considered a thing of the past or is it still recommended to watch as kind of the originator of SoL anime. Then again I know many say that one should read the manga instead. I admit I haven't looked up all the shows of Jex's list but SoL is kind of the hot topic animation for a variety of reason so someone wanting to get the broad picture of the medium should at least see one.
Azumanga Daioh remains a worthwhile show and an example of "moe" that was widely popular among anime fans, but I wouldn't consider it one of the more important anime titles to watch. It's just merely good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Azumanga remains a worthwhile show and an example of "moe" that was widely popular among anime fans, but I wouldn't consider it one of the more important anime titles to watch. It's just merely good.
Haruhi then? It has the dance!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still think it is dumb that a character who does bugger all in the Gintama show manages to get third place. Taka-tin is far superior to him.

Midonin

Chaika 02

I'm sympathetic to Chaika's mission (
recovering the body parts of crazy old dad to give him a funeral
), though the idea of Toru being as pro-war as he is is kind of odd. Consistent with his personality, but not what I'm used to seeing. The stakes are established and interesting enough, nothing to do now but see just what kind of adventures await these three.

And also maybe check out Scrapped Princess at some point.

Gbraga

Something that I really liked about Code Geass was the strategy in combat, it felt like a step up from the "I predicted that you'd predict my prediction" and "keikaku doori" that Death Note had (and don't get me wrong, I loved that).

I guess you could say that in the end it's still about knowing way more than he should, but I could see things developing, it wasn't just Lelouch coming and saying YEAH I KNEW ALL THAT, I WIN.

But as much as I like fanservice, the school bits were really getting in the way, there were very few interesting things about it, it was mostly just dumb. It wasn't like Tokyo Ravens where I was excited when the battles ended becauase it meant another slife of life arc.

And stuff like this had no place there, honestly:

rRwYaw8.jpg

Even when we only take the "serious" parts into consideration it already gets really dumb, especially when we're talking about Season 2. But making pizza with mechas? Oh god, why?

Again, I really like fanservice and I believe that "cute girls doing cute things" might be my favorite kind of anime, but Code Geass isn't one of those, if I wanna watch this kind of stuff, there are countless better anime to watch.

Haruhi then? It has the dance!

Haruhi is great <3

Lucky Star should definitely be recommended to see if this is the kind of anime that person likes. First time I watched it, I wasn't into that at all, so at first I was like "what the fuck is this shit?", and then the next day I finished it and was looking for more anime like that.

Link Man

Banned
Chaika 2

Well, the second half of the episode improved the show a bit. That fight on the bridge was pretty good, after all. I just hope that it can find a bit more personality, as right now it seems a bit bland.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lucky Star should definitely be recommended to see if this is the kind of anime that person likes. First time I watched it, I wasn't into that at all, so at first I was like "what the fuck is this shit?", and then the next day I finished it and was looking for more anime like that.
Lucky Star relies a bit on knowing a bit about anime culture to get the most out of it. I don't think it's that suitable for a what you should see first list.

Mature

What remains to be seen:
UPDATE - Full list with an explanation for each choice so you can tell me how wrong I am available here http://baoh.tumblr.com/

Movies

Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
Whispers of the Heart
Millennium Actress
5 Centimetres Per Second

OVA's

Giant Robo
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Urusei Yatsura (Episodes 1 - 106)
Maison Ikkoku
Legend of the Galactic Heroes*
Mononoke
Mushi-Shi
Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Sailor Moon - Select Episodes due to length
Kaiji
Denno Coil
Gintama
Honey and Clover + Season II
Kaiba
Monster
Gunsliger Girl
A lot of these I've seen bits of and just haven't finished (Giant Robo, Monster, Denno Coil, Kaiba, Dirty Pair, Kaiji, LOGH). Others really don't work for me personally (Gintama, Utena). And still more that I've read parts of the comic version of, so am not in any rush to see (Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura). Millennium Actress has been on my short list of movies to see for a long time now, so I'm not worried about that, but I suppose it's time to get around to some of the other Ghibli classics I haven't seen.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Engaged to the Unidentified 6

Poor Hakuya. The man just wants
some chocolate.

Poor Mashiro. She just wants her
mokele-mbembe

Poor Benio. She just her
mai waifu(s).

Poor Kobeni. She just wants
to figure out what this is about!

Engaged to the Unidentified 7

Maybe there's something lost in translation here that someone can fill be in on, by why does the student council secretary wear a different colored uniform than everyone else? Or is that just a sweater?

Well now...that was an unexpected twist! Well I guess
she does actually share some physical similarity to Mashiro, especially her eyes and hair style, that may have been hints
, but it was a pretty out-of-the-blue turn.

Engaged to the Unidentified 8

9JUCMaA.png

Gendo Benio! GET IN THE GODDAMN UFO MASHIRO

Benio's reactions are fucking priceless. That whole slo-mo bit slayed me.

Aww yeah ratchet up that drama, baby!

One Week Friends 02

iAXsdqRilRBgM.jpg

Oh my God. When the
"God please.." part showed up on her diary towards the end
, I shed manly tears. These feels man.

I love that its cheerful and happy for the most part and not focused too much on the drama so when it does show up, its meaningful and moves things forward. I really liked the scene of her
getting out of bed to write more things to the diary, it shows that even though she has probably tried this in the past and didnt work, she still wants put in the effort to keep this thing with Hase going.
Its so cute and so sad ;_;

I also like how Hase isnt a total moron. He understood right away how she was feeling which was refreshing to see, and the resolution at the end was brilliant. I'm glad it was resolved quickly and didnt have the characters dwell on it for multiple episodes.

Hase's friend looks like a cool bro too.

I'm really enjoying the soft music and the art. Only peeve is how most of the characters always look half awake, and how the mouths are drawn all the way in the bottom. Not a deal breaker though. The OP and ED are also really nice.

The selective memory loss is a little too convenient but I learned to just accept it and not think about it. I just hope there arent any stupid fucking ghosts in this show.

Soma

UPDATE - Full list with an explanation for each choice so you can tell me how wrong I am available here http://baoh.tumblr.com/

Good stuff. Lots of titles that I still (shamefully) need to watch. I almost feel like this list deserves its own thread because lord knows there's some wisdom in here that needs to be spread to the "all anime after Evangelion or whatever is just moe shit" crowd.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
And still more that I've read parts of the comic version of, so am not in any rush to see (Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura).
Maison Ikkoku may trend more like the manga, but Oshii's version of Urusei Yatsura gets highly experimental in spots going completely outside the norm for the manga. One episode in particular even feels like it could have been made by Satoshi Kon. Admittedly, this still isn't a common occurrence, but it does certainly offer more than a straight adaptation. Also, Megane, an Oshii addition, is one of my favorite characters in the show.

Mushi-shi Special
Interesting how that not only can the eclipse can a reaction in Mushi but also cause a Mushi to create an artificial eclipse. A nice look at a lot of the past adventures of the first season at first. It was also a surprising twist in where the mushi was.

THESE INTENSE ROCK PAPER SCISSORS MINDGAMES
It's like Kaiji all over again!
Not really
I think I like the two MC's of this, despite being super NEET's who don't act like NEET's at all. I just hope that Sora doesn't become a god tier LN mary sue gambler
who is the only human who can use magic, I hope this isn't reverse Mahouka
. His sister is already a supercomputer and she's 11 and lazy. I usually hate series were the MC has ridiculous advantages for no reason but it doesn't seem to bother me too much in this.
The colors are good though. It seems interesting enough.

Gbraga

I think I'll really like One Week Friends.

Lucky Star relies a bit on knowing a bit about anime culture to get the most out of it. I don't think it's that suitable for a what you should see first list.

Hmmm, you're definitely right.

Something that I really liked about Code Geass was the strategy in combat, it felt like a step up from the "I predicted that you'd predict my prediction" and "keikaku doori" that Death Note had (and don't get me wrong, I loved that).

I guess you could say that in the end it's still about knowing way more than he should, but I could see things developing, it wasn't just Lelouch coming and saying YEAH I KNEW ALL THAT, I WIN.

But as much as I like fanservice, the school bits were really getting in the way, there were very few interesting things about it, it was mostly just dumb. It wasn't like Tokyo Ravens where I was excited when the battles ended becauase it meant another slife of life arc.
About the bolded part ... i think this aspect is less present in everybody's minds because a lot of lelouch plans didn't go as planned because "Suzaku" or any ennemy with a geass.a big part of the fun in code geass was also to wait for the moment where the plan would go wrong because from the start( ep 2 or 3 ) we learns that lelouch plans are not full proof , and that he is more like walking a thin line between efficiency and crazyness.

Mature

Maison Ikkoku may trend more like the manga, but Oshii's version of Urusei Yatsura gets highly experimental in spots going completely outside the norm for the manga. One episode in particular even feels like it could have been made by Satoshi Kon. Admittedly, this still isn't a common occurrence, but it does certainly offer more than a straight adaptation.
I meant that comment more towards Maison Ikkoku than Urusei Yatsura. After I've finished everything Patlabor, I'll probably move onto that. It's a show that I'm pretty much guaranteed to love, so it's not a hard choice.

Midonin

Dai Shogun 02

The animation's only a few steps above a visual novel, and the way Susanoo is piloted even bears some similarities with Daimidaler (though it has the woman on top), and the whole thing is unpolished. But that's what making it so that I want to keep watching it. It's still interesting. Plus, a kitsune girl with a sadistic streak voiced by Yukarin, there's no way I'm going to turn that down.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Valvrave the liberator is the worse Code Geass

I think it's still relevant and definitely one of the best SoL and School life anime there is.

For pure SoL, i recommend Kobo-chan, since it's more down to earth without any moe and stuff

Conan-san

oR9JNxb.png

NGNL 2

I dunno about the quality of the show parcé but I am just in love with hearing what is in effect Kirito spaz out on a near constant basis.

I'm sorry this is far too hilarious to be a complete wash.

I mean her little vision things are dubbed "Steph-a-scopes" for goodness sake!

Gbraga

About the bolded part ... i think this aspect is less present in everybody's minds because a lot of lelouch plans didn't go as planned because "Suzaku" or any ennemy with a geass.a big part of the fun in code geass was also to wait for the moment where the plan would go wrong because from the start( ep 2 or 3 ) we learns that lelouch plans are not full proof , and that he is more like walking a thin line between efficiency and crazyness.

Yeah, and the crazy part is really good, his plans fail but he's so focused on achieving his goals at any costs that he doesn't back down, he does some crazy shit and some time that puts him on an even worse position. He gets desperate a lot.

Eusis

Hmm...

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
FLCL
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Urusei Yatsura (Episodes 1 - 106) + Beautiful Dreamer
Maison Ikkoku
Legend of the Galactic Heroes*
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi (saw a good chunk of season one)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Ghost in Shell Stand Alone Complex (Both Seasons) (all of Season one, most of Season two BUT wasn't paying enough attention and got lost)
Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Sailor Moon - Select Episodes due to length
Kaiji
Baccano!
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Gintama
Honey and Clover + Season II
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl
Bolded everything I saw or completed and italicized everything I own but haven't seen or have queued up on a streaming service and remembered doing so. I guess that means when it comes to anime I'm more of a movie fan, and given the affordability and length angles and the fact those are usually clean of some of the more irritating/unsavory aspects of other anime it's probably not a big surprise at all. Well, and the fact Ghibli's must see period, to the point of possibly being the only anime people can reliably recommend to everyone else they know.

Midonin

If Her Flag Breaks 02

I was a little uncertain about Aoi Yuki starting her musical career, but the tone of the music for the opening is just the kind of whimsical I like. Of the three Wednesday shows I watch, this one may be my favorite in pure entertainment. Great showings from HanaKana, Asumisu and Yukarin this week, all playing their roles to the fullest. Truly, we are all living in the season of Kana Asumi. The way the characters intentionally overplay their archetypes is all part of the fun, with Kiku in particular making a strong showing. Akane's gag ("You already knew he lived here!") also got a small laugh out of me.

This may not be the first time this season a HanaKana character takes the audience by surprise.

Joe Molotov

Valvrave the liberator is the worse Code Geass

Everyone knew Valvrave was going to be dumb as hell from the first episode; if you watched it, you knew what you were getting. With Code Geass, I feel like you could still be unironically enjoying it up to Episode 22, when it dropped a stupid nuke on you.

Everyone knew Valvrave was going to be dumb as hell from the first episode; if you watched it, you knew what you were getting. With Code Geass, I feel like you could still be unironically enjoying it up to Episode 22, when it dropped a stupid nuke on you.

Valvrave's problem is that is didn't stay dumb, or at least the funny kind of dumb. But yeah, I don't think the comparison to Geass works all that well.

Gbraga

Valvrave

A new age where 70% of the human population lives in space thanks to the development of “Dyson Sphere”, a city in space. The world is divided into two main powers: The Dorssia Military Pact Federation, a power which grew out of a military alliance, and the Atlantic Rim United States (ARUS), which grew in power as it expanded its trade agreements

Wait, what? wtf?

Let me add this to my backlog.

JCG

Fair enough, but considering that his work includes Planetes and Infinite Ryvius, I have trouble believing he was putting his all into Geass.

Well, I'd say Code Geass has far more in common with GunxSword than with either of those...perhaps with a little bit of S-cry-ed on the side. It's also worth mentioning that his industry roots are firmly in Super Robot territory (the Eldran shows, G Gundam, GaoGaiGar), so he's not unused to crazy over-the-top contents. There's even an early S1 interview with Taniguchi where he explicitly points out that his directorial methods were going to be very different this time around, with entertainment being the main goal of the production, even if this might disappoint some of his fans.

I feel you can still enjoy it after that point, with enough mental flexibility. To this day, I'd seriously say Episode 23 (immediately after the big shock) is one of my personal favorites.

Valvrave has the craziness spot on, that's always entertaining, but lacks both the bombastic theatrical style and the limited substance behind it, which you could attribute to the absence of Taniguchi. What we got instead is something that's dumb fun yet makes R2 look solid in comparison, and the ending's also rather underwhelming.

At least it's not Guilty Crown though, which is by far the worst of the two CG pseudo-clones. I pity those who would watch that.

Maison Ikkoku may trend more like the manga, but Oshii's version of Urusei Yatsura gets highly experimental in spots going completely outside the norm for the manga. One episode in particular even feels like it could have been made by Satoshi Kon. Admittedly, this still isn't a common occurrence, but it does certainly offer more than a straight adaptation. Also, Megane, an Oshii addition, is one of my favorite characters in the show.

Wait! How does the manga work without Megane!?

Eusis

They have Mike from Startropics some generic guy with wave hair as the normal student stand in who is closer to the core group than the rest of the students. I think he's mainly there as the straight man, and Megane and he crew more or less took his role in any of the adapted manga stories.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Megane, Perm, Chibi, and Kakugari don't exist as cast members in the manga. The manga features a classmate character named Kousuke, and when required much of his role and lines were given to Perm, if not another one of the four.

Megane is one of Oshii's most obvious personal stamps on the work.

Conan-san

If Her Flag Breaks 02

I was a little uncertain about Aoi Yuki starting her musical career, but the tone of the music for the opening is just the kind of whimsical I like. Of the three Wednesday shows I watch, this one may be my favorite in pure entertainment. Great showings from HanaKana, Asumisu and Yukarin this week, all playing their roles to the fullest. Truly, we are all living in the season of Kana Asumi. The way the characters intentionally overplay their archetypes is all part of the fun, with Kiku in particular making a strong showing. Akane's gag ("You already knew he lived here!") also got a small laugh out of me.

This may not be the first time this season a HanaKana character takes the audience by surprise.

Yep, it's pretty bonkers.

That said, I'm pretty much in this to see Megu get recognised for a man

Edit: That said if this could be the one and only "LOL DOOD WENT INTO THE GIRLS BATH" gag that would be appreciated.

Gbraga

Valvrave openings are sick, I always listen to the covers, taiga is great.

EDIT: That's right, one of them even has kalon. and taiga singing together. So good TT_TT

Captain Earth 2

Way better then the first episode, that shot of defiance made the MC way more enjoyable then I ever expected him to be. I am getting an impression this is going to turn into Bones version of Evangelion though

Gbraga

Captain Earth 2

Way better then the first episode, that shot of defiance made the MC way more enjoyable then I ever expected him to be. I am getting an impression this is going to turn into Bones version of Evangelion though

I'm more ok with this than I should be.

No Game No Life 2
The mental breakdowns of the siblings are quite funny. As well as the Steph-o-scopes. Looking forward the tricks the siblings pull to win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom