• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that I really liked about Code Geass was the strategy in combat, it felt like a step up from the "I predicted that you'd predict my prediction" and "keikaku doori" that Death Note had (and don't get me wrong, I loved that).

It's something I liked about Lelouch. They play the typical "I'm a genius and I use my super tactical plans it to win always!" trope that is almost like a superpower, but actually Lelouch gets to fail a few times here and there in his plans in the course of the series, because he didn't have all the information or did a bad supposition or just got outplayed, making it a bit less Deux Ex Machina and gives the viewer a bit of uncertainty: the MC doesn't always win.

cajunator

Banned
Neck breaker forever confirmed to be non lethal.

One of the best anime shows of last year.

And Yay, Sensei! S2 should end with the best possible ending.

lol yeah its the only way. Shaft characters have alien neck implants. It makes sense.

Catgirl school sounds like high art

The highest art of mofuwa~

oh ok definitely going to put it on the backburner then, i'm watching LOGH so don't have room for watching lots of episodes of a long running show.

Time Out have published a Top 100 animated films, based on polling "over 100 experts in the field"
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/the-100-best-animated-movies

WHY IS MILLENNIUM ACTRESS BARELY ON THERE? I cannot take this list seriously.

Is AzuManga now considered a thing of the past or is it still recommended to watch as kind of the originator of SoL anime. Then again I know many say that one should read the manga instead. I admit I haven't looked up all the shows of Jex's list but SoL is kind of the hot topic animation for a variety of reason so someone wanting to get the broad picture of the medium should at least see one.

Azudai is a classic. Well worth a watch as one of the pioneering SOL shows. It showed how it should be done really. Plus if you dont watch it youll make Chiyo chan cry and that just makes you a horrible person.

BluWacky

Hitsugi no Chaika 2

This is... surprisingly good. I mean, it's still young adult fantasy, and it is eerily like Scrapped Princess redux, but it has an unexpected level of... I don't know if intelligence is the right word, but I'm trying to think of a way of saying that it's not incessantly dumb? I mean, Tohru seems to make vaguely intelligent decisions to try and trick his enemies, and the main action sequence of the episode, aside from being surprisingly well animated, is choreographed to show an effective battle between Tohru's quick blades and his opponent's giant sword.

I've attempted to webm said fight sequence - be warned, I've probably got this horribly wrong - for those who don't care about cheesy fantasy shows but might want to watch an okay fight sequence occasionally.

No Game No Life 2

Even though the perverted scenes and upshots make me cringe quite a lot, the animation, the artstyle (moe and boobs aside) and the characters have won me over to keep watching for now. I mean the freaking girl went "WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

oh ok definitely going to put it on the backburner then, i'm watching LOGH so don't have room for watching lots of episodes of a long running show.

Time Out have published a Top 100 animated films, based on polling "over 100 experts in the field"
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/the-100-best-animated-movies

Oh, the cool thing is they say who they are they "100 experts" instead of saying it vaguely, and they also add the list done by each one.

Wes Anderson

Akira
The Iron Giant
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
101 Dalmatians
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
The Secret of NIMH
Spirited Away
Watership Down

Oh Wes, you so based~... ♥

Jex

No Aria makes this a bad list that's bad!

Also for the list I really think Touch belongs there.

Besides being one of the most popular series ever created, its the magnum opus of Adachi who is a god damn genius. I think its miles ahead of Maison Ikkoku and other shows of that ilk from the 80s and is a definite must watch for any anime fan.

And the wrong Yuasa show is up there. I do think Tatami Galaxy is his best work on every level, but thats just personal preference.

Like I said in my response to shergal, my none-inclusion of your favourite or preferred title is not a slight against those titles. This is why I mentioned in my post that the list was not definitive. Everything that shergal, firehawk12, Branduil and darkside mention certainly deserve to be on a list of recommended shows. They all great and well worth watching. I simply ended my list where I did because of time reasons, I had to arbitrarily draw a line before the list got out of control!

Jex

Oh, one other thing. I didn't create my test a means of surveying what people had and hadn't watched just as a tool to consider when choosing what to watch. Therefore I've been very surprised to see how many people in this thread haven't seen Millennium Actress, which is one of the best films ever made, period. Out of all the titles I, wrongly, assumed that it would be equivalent to a Ghibli film and everyone would already have seen it.

If you're one of the many people who haven't seen that movie I strongly urge you to check it out as soon as possible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Like I said in my response to shergal, my none-inclusion of your favourite or preferred title is not a slight against those titles. This is why I mentioned in my post that the list was not definitive. Everything that shergal, firehawk12, Branduil and darkside mention certainly deserve to be on a list of recommended shows. There all great and well worth watching. I simply ended my list where I did because of time reasons, I had to arbitrarily draw a line before the list got out of control!
It sounds like you need to write a new edition of the Anime Encyclopedia. Kickstart it!

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 2

Yeah, I'm just not feeling anything while watching this. Gonna have to drop it for now.

What a shame. You were about to get into the good stuff too. The Three Episode Rule. I will make it a thing.

You are a terrible person!

Best waifu, etc.
But I liked S1 anyway. SNAFU with 8man as Batman was just interesting to watch. I would hope his martyrdom comes back to bite him at some point, where he has to choose between saving Two Face and some girl no one remembers.

Did it still stink of nerd sweat?

Wouldn't that be an interesting place to take the story.

Chaika The Coffin Princess 2

This continues to be a lot better then I think anyone would have predicted, yeah it's fairly cliche but the action is good the story set up and world are interesting and I can't really think of any major problems I have with it. Well I'm still not a fan of Chaika's fragmented dialogue but I'll get used to it and it's a minor problem overall.

BluWacky

Oh, one other thing. I didn't create my test a means of surveying what people had and hadn't watched just as a tool to consider when choosing what to watch. Therefore I've been very surprised to see how many people in this thread haven't seen Millennium Actress, which is one of the best films ever made, period. Out of all the titles I, wrongly, assumed that it would be equivalent to a Ghibli film and everyone would already have seen it.

If you're one of the many people who haven't seen that movie I strongly urge you to check it out as soon as possible.

Millennium Actress came out at the "wrong time", for me. Its original release in 2001 was just before I really got into anime beyond what was available on TV, and it didn't have a UK DVD release until 2005 by which point I'd basically forgotten about it. Then time just passed, frankly.

I also... haven't seen any of Satoshi Kon's films other than Tokyo Godfathers! I saw all of Paranoia Agent, but as I think I've mentioned on here before I don't tend to get on very well with anime films; I can't quite "get the rhythm" of the pacing in many of them and so I drift off and do something else. I tried watching Paprika a few months ago and lost interest within the first five minutes!

So yes, I'm making excuses, and know I need to see it. It's just a matter of understanding!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anime of the forever if it came to be.
It would be the Gravity of anime endings. I don't think Japan has the balls, but after the pseudo-not-incest ending of OreImo, who knows?
The fact that it's a bad ending in the game is a fucking travesty and an injustice though! lol

Wouldn't that be an interesting place to take the story.
They were hinting at that in the show. I assume that like FapNote, the position is untenable. The teacher is basically Alfred telling 8man not to wear the Batman mask anymore because otherwise, she won't be able to see him in Paris at the end of the series (or however that movie ended). Presumably 8man gets his back broken at some point though - metaphorically, of course - to get him to perhaps reconsider his methodology and his outlook on life.

The director and his cameraman really dragged the quality of the movie down imo.

Chaika the Coffin Princess 2

This episode is also known as "How to Make Woofdawg totally hyped for your series after a decent first episode"

Which basically translates to:

- badass protagonist who's a rogue. I can't think of many rogue protagonists and that's usually the class I go for.

- Badass second main character in the series. And she's not exhibiting brother complex, just regular love for her sibling. Fucking grade A material right here. And she also kicks ass.

- Badass action scenes where rogue protagonist is all "YEAH DAWG ANIMATION BUDGET RIGHT HE'A" and is all BOOM POW, throws string, HAHA BITCH, TACKLE STAB KICK PUNCH DROP KICK WATAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Also as much as the broken sentences speech bothers me for some reason I cracked up at the

"Chaika"

"Yes, chaika"

"Chaika...."

exchange. Also protagonist wants to fight and ins't tv tropes "I HATE TO FIGHT" protag. Fucking refreshing.

10/10. AOTY. AOTS. Woofdawg seal of approval.

Is that the one that Black Swan supposedly ripped off? Because that movie was boring as hell.

It's already a thing.

Apparently not considering people are dropping shows at episodes 1 & 2. First two episodes are mostly setup episodes. You need the third episode to see how it starts to use those concepts and character dynamics introduced. That's why I always wait until the third episode before dropping a show.

They were hinting at that in the show. I assume that like FapNote, the position is untenable. The teacher is basically Alfred telling 8man not to wear the Batman mask anymore because otherwise, she won't be able to see him in Paris at the end of the series (or however that movie ended). Presumably 8man gets his back broken at some point though - metaphorically, of course - to get him to perhaps reconsider his methodology and his outlook on life.

Hahaha. Hachiman isn't gonna change himself. He may alter the way he looks as things but that cynical/sarcastic side to him is never going to change. That's mainly what I like about him anyways. He basically embodies AnimeGAF.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hahaha. Hachiman isn't gonna change himself. He may alter the way he looks as things but that cynical/sarcastic side to him is never going to change. That's mainly what I like about him anyways. He basically embodies AnimeGAF.
Naw, at some point he'll stop being 8man and become Hachiman and retire with his bride Saika (or the teacher). Well, I assume the arc is that he learns to integrate into society in a somewhat meaningful way, ala Oreki from Hyouka.

Certainly that's what separates it from Haganai, which insists on creating an insular community that is separated from the outside world (that is is AnimeGAF :p).

Is that the one that Black Swan supposedly ripped off? Because that movie was boring as hell.
I want to have your shounen babies, cosmic.

Naw, at some point he'll stop being 8man and become Hachiman and retire with his bride Saika (or the teacher). Well, I assume the arc is that he learns to integrate into society in a somewhat meaningful way, ala Oreki from Hyouka.

Certainly that's what separates it from Haganai, which insists on creating an insular community that is separated from the outside world (that is is AnimeGAF :p).

Alright I'll give you this one. I hope this ends the series though and rounds off his character. As much as I love SNAFU I would like for some finality to this story.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
this thread literally making me feel physically ill

Black Bullet 2

The tone of this is all over the place, I can't say it's great but it's certainly entertaining. The villain alone is enough to keep me watching. I feel like this show is going to be very hit or miss for most people

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Alright I'll give you this one. I hope this ends the series though and rounds off his character. As much as I love SNAFU I would like for some finality to this story.
I think it has to, otherwise the series is just masturbatory like every other one of these LNs/animes.

this thread literally making me feel physically ill
Kung Fu Panda is the best animated movie after all.

Daily reminder that Gravity is overrated
Better than Her at least,

Selector Infected - 2

Having a hard time really connecting with the goings on of this show if they're not going to take the time to explain how the actual rules of the game work. It'd be one thing if the character dynamics were there that would make me overlook this sort of thing but I find it hard for me to care about each of the girl's motivations for doing what they're doing. And what I'm left with is an incomprehensible card game show with neat effects. This show needs to hurry up and go dark.

Soul Eater Not! - 2

I can't help but like this show, it's the sort of bubbly and carefree show that leaves you with a smile despite what are more or less mundane activities. The further connection with the larger Soul Eater world is something I can also sincerely appreciate.

No Game No Life - 2

This show made a game of Rock Paper Scissors interesting, points for that on the outset. From there though it just devolves into ridiculousness which wasn't necessarily a bad thing because some of the gags got a chuckle out of me. I'm just glad the episode went on to progress the plot a bit in the second half, can't help but like the protagonist in this one and he's at his best when he's playing the game.

Eusis

It's what happens when you had a limited print run and didn't stay in print. Used copies start at about $34 on Amazon which is kind of insane, I just got lucky and was able to rent it on Netflix before it vanished from them. It really probably should've been the Satoshi Kon film that had such a wide release you could find it in grocery stores rather than Paprika (though that's good too, but MA does seem more appropriate for such a location.)

Branduil

Anyway.

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Patlabor 2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

OVA's

Giant Robo
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Urusei Yatsura (Episodes 1 - 106)
Maison Ikkoku
Legend of the Galactic Heroes*
Mononoke
Mushi-Shi
Ghost in Shell Stand Alone Complex (Both Seasons)
Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Sailor Moon - Select Episodes due to length
Kaiji
Gankatsuou
Gintama
Honey and Clover + Season II
Kemonozume
Kaiba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom