• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saki: The Nationals END - Man, what a bummer.
I knew that 13 episodes seemed like too little for what was left, but I was hoping it'd at least get a little further than it did. Why would they stop after the quarterfinals when Episode of Side A ended after the semis? And again, like Side A it seemed like a real heavy focus on the other players and their Super Mahjong Powers. Saki and Nodoka never really seemed to get that much attention during the show.

Midonin

My wish for KanColle is the same as it is for any other series of this type. As long as the characters are such that I can focus on the cute elements and the military elements don't get too distracting, I'll be okay.

Link Man

Banned
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 12

Yukino is smiling. That's unsettling.

Anyway, Hachiman goes full batman this episode, and it's refreshing for someone to finally put the chairman in her place. And it looks like there's a possible romance blooming?

Oh, the next episode is an extra? So was this a TV end? If that's the case, it was pretty satisfying. Going to watch the next episode now, and looking forward to next season!

cajunator

Banned
Super late, I don't care, it was a slow sales week anyway, SALES TIME

Full weekly sales for April 14 - 20:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1277

Updated Winter Vol.1 Rankings (not necessarily representative of long-term series sales due to possible ticket effects, other bonuses/factors, etc.)

New entries bolde... ahahaha who the hell cares, they both cratered into the ground.

Notes:

Mikakunin continues to impress. Well deserved. More please!

With Tamako Love Story debuting in theaters tomorrow, time for KyoAni to get rolling again on the hype machine for Amagi Brilliant Park, finally officially confirmed for Fall 2014.

http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/amaburi/

Best girl on the right. Her boobs are too big though.

Sometimes I swear you need to know like, seven dead languages to get the titles of anime.

I own a series called I My Me Strawberry Eggs. After seeing it several times I was never able to figure out why its called that.
A bad translation is my guess.

From MADHOUSE, the animation studio that brought you CHOBITS.

Great series. Some good music in it too. And Sumomo. And Chibits.

wmlk

I just finished Hyouka.

The ending is so profound that I won't even try to justify how amazing it is. It just is.
Probably my favourite anime ever. Has a special place now.

Link Man

Banned
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 13

Lol at Yui getting jealous over Hachiman.

Pairing up the Chuuni and the DTL? Brilliant!

Well, that episode was a whole lot more fun than it had any right to be.

TheRancor

Ping Pong ep.3

I don't know if I'm just used to it by now or what, but the art style isn't bothering me anywhere near as much as it did in episode 1.

Time to invoke my usual query for the staff nerds to explain by telling me who Shinya Ohira is, what he's known for, and why I should care that he did the OP (which is a nice OP, though).

Shinya Ohira is an animator who is well known for his "ultra fluid" animation; rather than animating limited frames like most animators, he instead animates absolutely everything. He also likes to stretch proportions massively for the sake of entertaining movement. His style is immediately recognisable (if you've seen it before!) - you may recognise some of the sequences from this video, for instance.
Should have just link to this really. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BosH9d56SsM&hd=1

Edit: Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ohira still uses in-betweeners, very talented ones quite likely or else the animation will be ruined. So in that sense he personally doesn't animate absolutely everything. Unless you meant his work has a lot of frames in which he animates on ones or whatever then nevermind. On a related note, animator Mitsuo Iso draws all his own frames, in that he animates/controls everything in the cut but the work is limited animation.

BluWacky

I own a series called I My Me Strawberry Eggs. After seeing it several times I was never able to figure out why its called that.
A bad translation is my guess.

No, that is literally its title - there is no translation, it's written out in hiragana and katakana. The title is very "punny" in that aimai can mean "mysterious" or "ambiguous" - so "mysterious me" - which fits the cross dressing hero quite well. I'm not sure about the "strawberry eggs" thing - it might be a pun on "ichigo tamago" which would be the Japanese translation, but again I'm not sure.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akuma no Riddle Episode 4:

Well, this was a much better episode this week, if only because it was completely and forgettably average.

Jex

[Hunter x Hunter] - 55

I may or may not have watched 20 episodes of this series in three days. Who can say?

Theonik

Binbougami Ga! 02
i6xmezDUVSEho.png
iLn927MPApDev.png

Ether
This was a fun episode. I should have probably picked this back up sooner butt I will try to finish it.
This ED too. OH MAN

cajunator

Banned
Happiness Charge PreCure 12

So this episode was great. Hito is just dumb but at the same time so happy about it. And madp is still the adorablest. Also go home Kirby you drunk. It seems to all go on Kirby's butt though so it's OK!
The triple transformation was great too. That dancing. And the posing at the end of this clip.
Baseball Hito was kinda eh though. Wasn't too hyped for it though so that was OK. Also this is a thing Hito had mentioned with GBF but why is anime so obsessed with batting averages?

I think Im going to have to really get used to webm. Its really buggin me out.

Get to the hype train guys

RAIL WARS! first PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XgK0QGrT7c

Yes yes yes~

Ai Mai! Moe Can Change!

Well this wasn't as bad as it could be I suppose. Better than the game but that's not saying much.
The way they tried to flesh out the game's plot was kinda ridiculous. They also seemed to have put some effort to the butts as well which is a good thing maybe.
Also featured one of the few examples of server load depicted by cute girls in anime.
Oh and Moe powah

So this is an OVA in addition to the game? whered you find it?

cajunator

Banned
Summer is saved

Kantai Collection TV anime coming this summer
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-23484.html

Marketing genius. thats what this thing is. Cant wait to see how all those crazy characters translate to anime.

So it's Upotte!! with ships instead of guns?

thats exactly what it is~!

No, that is literally its title - there is no translation, it's written out in hiragana and katakana. The title is very "punny" in that aimai can mean "mysterious" or "ambiguous" - so "mysterious me" - which fits the cross dressing hero quite well. I'm not sure about the "strawberry eggs" thing - it might be a pun on "ichigo tamago" which would be the Japanese translation, but again I'm not sure.

Makes sense, though Im still hella confused.

Binbougami Ga! 02

This was a fun episode. I should have probably picked this back up sooner butt I will try to finish it.
This ED too. OH MAN

Excellent comedy. Continue!

Crocodile

Ping Pong 3

• Oh we got a real OP now? Pretty cool :)
  • Smile still failing at basic human interaction I see :/
  • The music in this show is ON POINT
  • The panel approach was cool at first but they way abused it this episode
  • I continue to really enjoy the matches. They are always about the players and not the game which makes them engaging to those not super invested in Ping Pong. Its always a battle of wits and the show does a great job of stressing that.
  • "There are even some Africans who can't dance" - I can't do anything but LOL at this
  • I'm not sure I totally understand the significance of Smile's humming during his match with Kong. Is it just supposed to mean "I'm cool, I got this"?
  • For the sake of the narrative I know Kong had to win here but his reversal at the tail end of the match felt super quick and unearned :/

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders 4

• I know normal folks can't see/hear Stands but I refuse to believe a crowded plane full of passengers wouldn't notice if a bunch of people were punching at air or doing wacky poses or if a row of people just had their tongues removed :/
  • So Magician's Red and Star Platinum are too dangerous to use on a plane (which actually makes sense) but Heipheront Green gets to Emerald Splash all over the place? How does THAT make sense?
  • This Stand naming system still makes no sense. I get why Magician's Red & Star Platinum have their names but all the other just seem super forced onto the Tarot cards :/
  • Everybody gets the ladies except Avdol :(
  • That sure is some censorship O_O
  • How the fuck is the old man alive to deliver a parting message?
  • What exactly is stopping the crew from renting a small charter plane with only a pilot and them on it? Seems like an easy way to get to Egypt quickly and avoid the deaths of innocents. Plus unless they are traveling on a small sail boat with only them on it, there is no way to use transcontinental travel without anyone else around. Like I understand the author wanted to stretch this out for 50 days rather than a week or whatever but you gotta make it at least believable :/
  • Kakoyin is very well mannered and traveled. A great guy to have around :)
  • I like how EVERYBODY knew what JPP was getting at with the star before he even finished his sentence :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
LOL i never saw that before nice job Togashi bravo.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 4:

Ah yes, a golden rule of thumb is if a Jojo gets into a plane, bad things will typically follow. Anyway, welcome to one of the reasons why Walk Like An Egyptian was a dump choice for the ED.
Indeed no direct route to Cairo here and moreover only the last third or so of Stardust Crusaders takes place in Egypt.
The path has gotten longer and no less fraught with danger. It is going to be interesting to see if the proper treatment continues because we have a long journey ahead of us.

jbug617

Banned
Bokura Wa Minna Kawaisou 4

The MC got on my nerves this episode.

Dude is straight up stalker. I know he got setup but he should have some common sense about that

JoJo Starburst Solid but Juicy 4

MASSACRE. THAT MEANS KILLING A BUNCH OF PEOPLE.

Good episode. I appreciate JoJo as one of the few anime that doesn't pretend Japan is the center of the world and has all of these characters come from and travel all over the world. Though Joestar in a plane? That's just plane stupid!

Also right after No Game No Life we already get a "Menacing~~~~~~~~"

Super late, I don't care, it was a slow sales week anyway, SALES TIME

Full weekly sales for April 14 - 20:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1277

Updated Winter Vol.1 Rankings (not necessarily representative of long-term series sales due to possible ticket effects, other bonuses/factors, etc.)

New entries bolde... ahahaha who the hell cares, they both cratered into the ground.

Notes:

So I can have some hope that Nourin breaks the 4k line?

Neat.

With Tamako Love Story debuting in theaters tomorrow, time for KyoAni to get rolling again on the hype machine for Amagi Brilliant Park, finally officially confirmed for Fall 2014.

http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/amaburi/

KyoAni taking up Triggers sword and saving anime~

They start fighting Polnareff at the end of this episode, and in the ED right after you can see him walking with them.
It seems they really aren't skipping anything, and it's good BEST MEMBER POLNAREFF will be joining soon
Also that censorship is really bothersome.

Midonin

Date A Live II 03

The twins are a lot of fun to watch, and knowing that they really do care for each other deep down is kinda touching, even if they immediately broke out the transformation sequence and started fighting again immediately after. So many lewd moments in this episode, with the sunscreen scene standing out most of all.

Can't wait,look at this plot

Will watch.

Get to the hype train guys

RAIL WARS! first PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XgK0QGrT7c

I saw two cute girls, two wonderful sensei, and at least one main male character who might actually be decent.

Will watch.

How do they go from making something so definitive to something so generic like brilliant park. Thankfully Free2 is on the horizon...
BmDPFacCAAAr9C8.jpg:large

Can't wait.

Hope to see more Rei.

Gankutsuou 11-15
Well things are really shaking up. And Paris apparently raises the biggest assholes. Valetine's family is destroyed while she was unconscious. The Gankutosuou is apparently a state secret. Albert's family's secret are slowly getting revealed and Albert is going crazy from all these changes. I don't why he's so trusting of the Count when everyone else lied to him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom