• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Future Card Buddyfight! Episode 17: ABC Cup Final! Exploring the Underground Maze! (engDub)

Fun episode with the party at Gao Mikado's house and then the Zanya Kisaragi v Gao duel.
though the outcome, I just want to know who won. Why couldnt they give us a definitive outcome that Gao would have won or that Zanya had him trapped

Nafe

Gravity (A.K.A. firehawk12's AotY 2013)

jbJmQ2kb1XabH.jpg

Your blue eyes are pretty moe moe kyun.
My eyes are brown. ...Baka.

firehawk says it's anime, so it counts! Haha.
No, since firehawk is such a big fan of this movie, I just wanted to say I got around to watching it. I saw a commercial for it and only really knew the premise was "something bad happens in space" basically. Being in space though I figured they could have some nice shots.

The cinematography and sound design was really good. That shot where the camera slowly zooms in on her face to go to first person P.O.V. and back for example was indeed nice. Some shots like when they're using the tether would have felt more natural for the use of 3D but other shots, such as right at the beginning where she loses hold of the screw, really felt like they were just saying "Hey, it's in 3D!".

You have to suspend your disbelief for some moments but its still got good themes and ideas to it. Some of the symbolism, such as
where she gets in the airlock and goes into a fetal position with the cables
felt a bit too try hard maybe. Just the way the shot lingers anyway. I found myself thinking "Okay, I get it."

Anyway, I thought it was a good movie and liked it. I don't like it enough to watch it every weekend for the next two months or so like firehawk though,haha. I'd like to watch it again sometime and see how I feel on a re-watch knowing what's going to happen and things like that.

Baby Steps 2

So far so good, we get to see Ei progressing in tennis through notes which is quite a unique approach in sports anime. I'm enjoying it so far.

Nafe

Millennium Actress

Another more actual anime movie I just watched recently was Millennium Actress. I really liked the movie and can now see why it's so highly regarded.

Personally I liked the art and designs of the film. I also liked its method of storytelling with Chiyoko and the interviewer/cameraman duo. The use of and implementation of the scene transitions were maybe my favorite part of the film. The way they seemed so seamless in transitioning familiar items in a scene but also changing up to a different location carrying maybe similar feelings or ideas.

It's a film that has a nice amount of layers to it that I have a bit to mull over and would like to watch it again to catch more things. Some of the scene transitions were so seamless I initially wasn't sure if she was talking more about her personal life or one of the stories in the films she was in. There are tells though, that after a brief bit of uncertainty I was aware of what was happening.

A major theme of the movie is the passage of time and you notice different forms of symbolism to help reinforce this, such as seeing grains of wood. The idea of seeing more rings in a tree representing age and at Chiyoko's home in the present time (of the film anyway) there are a lot of wooden structures. There's also
the elderly spirit and her weaving thread around the wheel.
It actually represents both the linear and cyclical nature that can happen with time. I liked how the film kind of came back full circle, almost twice even, with its themes.

Earthquakes also seem to be a focal bit of symbolism showing the "shakeup" of Chiyoko's life. Just like how an earthquake can destroy, new things can be rebuilt after. This idea also carries over in the film where a part of her might change or be lost and she goes in a different direction with her life.

As mentioned, there's actually a lot to this film that I'm still thinking about it and no doubt have missed lots that I could have mentioned. On that note though, of the different blogs that people maybe follow or know of, is there any interesting articles regarding Millennium Actress that you think are worth reading or taking a look at?

Articalys

Jojo Stardust Crusaders ep.4

They're really going to cover everything, aren't they.

Mushishi Zoku Shou ep.4

Lots of tension in this episode.

----------------------------------------

Time to go catch up.

Articalys

Shinya Ohira is an animator who is well known for his "ultra fluid" animation; rather than animating limited frames like most animators, he instead animates absolutely everything. He also likes to stretch proportions massively for the sake of entertaining movement. His style is immediately recognisable (if you've seen it before!) - you may recognise some of the sequences from this video, for instance.

Should have just link to this really. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BosH9d56SsM&hd=1

Edit: Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ohira still uses in-betweeners, very talented ones quite likely or else the animation will be ruined. So in that sense he personally doesn't animate absolutely everything. Unless you meant his work has a lot of frames in which he animates on ones or whatever then nevermind. On a related note, animator Mitsuo Iso draws all his own frames, in that he animates/controls everything in the cut but the work is limited animation.
Thanks to you both for the info. Still need to get around to watching that sakuga lecture series someday.

Ping Pong 3[*]For the sake of the narrative I know Kong had to win here but his reversal at the tail end of the match felt super quick and unearned :/

Well of course it felt unearned. It probably was unearned. It is heavily implied that Smile threw the game. We had a whole speech up to that point talking about how he considers the feelings of the other player too much.

Articalys

Rail Wars PV: looks kind of fun, interesting premise, then I read the plot summary again:
Also in his group is Aoi Sakurai, a female troublemaker who hates men
Aaaaand my interest in the show is fading.

cajunator

Banned
Yes. It's on Crunchyroll.

It feels weird for me to be recommending a show to you, lol.

Itll happen. A lot of times shows fall through the cracks due to lack of time.

Oh gosh, going from watching Jojo's to Sakura Trick is one of the greatest things ever.

it is a whiplash but a great one. Sakura trick was yuri fun.

Could I really do something so vulgar to the goddess Miyukichi?

nah you couldnt defile Miyukichi any more than you would Yuno.

Date a Live S2 3

I have no shame in admitting that I want to be that bear.

Bless the twins.

They made this episode so enjoyable.

Tohka confirmed to be most caring waifu.

Nice to see her back as her regular self instead of that portrayal of hers in the filler episode.

Reine ♥♥♥♥♥♥

Millennium Actress

Another more actual anime movie I just watched recently was Millennium Actress. I really liked the movie and can now see why it's so highly regarded.

Personally I liked the art and designs of the film. I also liked its method of storytelling with Chiyoko and the interviewer/cameraman duo. The use of and implementation of the scene transitions were maybe my favorite part of the film. The way they seemed so seamless in transitioning familiar items in a scene but also changing up to a different location carrying maybe similar feelings or ideas.

It's a film that has a nice amount of layers to it that I have a bit to mull over and would like to watch it again to catch more things. Some of the scene transitions were so seamless I initially wasn't sure if she was talking more about her personal life or one of the stories in the films she was in. There are tells though, that after a brief bit of uncertainty I was aware of what was happening.

A major theme of the movie is the passage of time and you notice different forms of symbolism to help reinforce this, such as seeing grains of wood. The idea of seeing more rings in a tree representing age and at Chiyoko's home in the present time (of the film anyway) there are a lot of wooden structures. There's also
the elderly spirit and her weaving thread around the wheel.
It actually represents both the linear and cyclical nature that can happen with time. I liked how the film kind of came back full circle, almost twice even, with its themes.

Earthquakes also seem to be a focal bit of symbolism showing the "shakeup" of Chiyoko's life. Just like how an earthquake can destroy, new things can be rebuilt after. This idea also carries over in the film where a part of her might change or be lost and she goes in a different direction with her life.

As mentioned, there's actually a lot to this film that I'm still thinking about it and no doubt have missed lots that I could have mentioned. On that note though, of the different blogs that people maybe follow or know of, is there any interesting articles regarding Millennium Actress that you think are worth reading or taking a look at?

I could discuss this movie quite a bit. I love it so much. Im not great at that depth of analysis but Im happy to talk about my favorite anime movie!

Repost from here, because why not ?

DATE A LIVE S2 - 03
Date%20A%20Live%20S2%20-%2003.jpg

Whiz , whoosh , splash , boom ... anyway it's much better than a game fo pretend , ladies.
Well this was great ....

The yamai sisters are nearly perfect in their roles ( kudos to the voice actresses ) and while they adapted everything to the letter , it's almost too fast.

Regardless that was a good episode that had a good amount of swimsuit fanservice and you can't really go wrong with that.

--------------------------
I also read volume 6 of the books., little did i know that Sdburton once again managed to enter an anime.
Also as someone who doesn't like origami, she clearly scored some points in this book , she finally reached the "great" status ..Should be very intresting to see that arc animated.

Oh shit, I'm now KirbYuuYuu! ....And officially 23!

Happy birthday ..

here ! have a candy !

Tenumi

Banned
Oh shit, I'm now KirbYuuYuu! ....And officially 23!

That's name change number two, right? Good thing I'm so uncreative. I'll be staying as Tenumi forever!

Also, Happy Birthday! ...Somehow I expected you'd be older than me, seeing as I turn 24 in August.

Nah that would be me. Ill be 32 in May.

Yet somehow, I completely believe and expect Cajunator's age.

Only 2 years older than me!

I wonder if that could be a reason our tastes overlap so much.

...Can't say I expected yours, though.

Zeppeli

Banned
Happy Birthday to KirbYuuYuu!

Yeesh, I should get a name change too. "Nintendoman58" is starting to feel too generic for me.

Do what I did - create an entirely new online persona for yourself and start using it on all your services like PSN, Steam, XBL, NNID, etc. It's nice to have a fresh start every now and then. I had my old PSN id/Steam id/etc for years and years and it linked back to shit from when I was like, 12. I decided to use Sorairo because I just finished TTGL for the first time and was signing up for a GAF account since I finally got a paid e-mail.

Do what I did - create an entirely new online persona for yourself and start using it on all your services like PSN, Steam, XBL, NNID, etc. It's nice to have a fresh start every now and then. I had my old PSN id/Steam id/etc for years and years and it linked back to shit from when I was like, 12. I decided to use Sorairo because I just finished TTGL for the first time and was signing up for a GAF account since I finally got a paid e-mail.

All of my other accounts that require a name are StarkWinterLager. This and another forum I frequent are the only two accounts I heavily use nowadays that don't use this name. So much easier to remember. As a kid I used to have like 10 different names for a bunch of websites.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 179

Given the title of the episode, I was expecting a fair amount of manservice (and it was there - Gray can't go a fight without stripping), but it had a surprising amount of fanservice from the girls, too. Lucy and Mirajane did some swimsuit posing, and the last line of the episode was "I was getting tired from squishing them together." It was mostly a way to fill time, but when it comes to ways to fill time, fanservice is a pretty good way to go about it. I am starting to see why people may not have liked the rescue mission, since I don't know how long the gang's going to be stuck in this dungeon full of dead Mira fanboys, but I'll see how things go.

Fairy Tail Episode 179 Gray vs Rufus
BmHUIbUCMAEHJnw.png

Gray and Rufus fight was even better than I remember it in the manga with his great lines, while the underground stuff just felt like it was here to help the episode reach enough content for 23 minutes, so slow and pointless.

Yeesh, I should get a name change too. "Nintendoman58" is starting to feel too generic for me.

OK let's try
***Capcom method :
-Super Nintendoman58
-Hyper Nintendoman58
-Ultra Nintendoman58

***S-E method
- Legend of Nintendoman58
- Final Nintendoman58
- Nintendoman58 : internationnal edition director cut
- Nintendoman58 returns !

****Compile heart method
-Nintendoman58 : reBirth

**** Gust method
-Nintendoman58 : qoga
- Atelier Nintendoman58 : Alchemist of Arland

****Other methods
-Nintendoman58 : Awakening
-Nintendoman58 : Trilogy
-Nintendoman58 Ultimate !
-Chronicles of Nintendoman58 !
-Nintendoman58 : The best !
-Nintendoman58 Arena : Battle in #Animegaf
-Nintendoman58 : reloaded.
-Nintendoman58 : Unleashed

I know you'll be able to choose the right username from this list !

Happy birthday, KirbYuuYuu!

Just finished rewatching Kill Bill vol. 1. Man, what an awesome film.

Happy birthday to Kirbyguy also!

Yaaaay thanks

Nearly Christmas cake.

Still not quite there though! (I can get the wine at least)

Happy birthday ..

here ! have a candy !

But where's the candy?

That's name change number two, right? Good thing I'm so uncreative. I'll be staying as Tenumi forever!

Also, Happy Birthday! ...Somehow I expected you'd be older than me, seeing as I turn 24 in August.

Yet somehow, I completely believe and expect Cajunator's age.

...Can't say I expected yours, though.

Well the secret is that I'm a little girl at heart

Happy Birthday, dude.

It's also very riffable!

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 4

FUCKING POLNAREFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom