• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

The Vision of Escaflowne 25-26 END

dork45j1p.png

Well that was that. I have to say I'm not quite sure what exactly
happened as far as Dornkirk or his machine goes. Well other then that apparently love trumps all. The various countries suddenly attacking each other and then stopping, even more out of a blue, was jarring especially given that we've barely heard about them before.
Other than that I quite liked it. While it felt rushed, the ultimate resolution to the romance subplot was a nice hit in the feels and one that, after all the previous corniness and melodrama, I didn't think the show was capable of producing.

General impressions:

Hitomi Kanzaki your ordinary highschooler with a predilection for Tarot reading, misses her chance for a first kiss thwarted when along with the stranger named Van, she is transported to the world of Gaea, where dragons, Gymelefs (aka mechas) and flying ships abound. Van quickly turns out a soon-to-be-king of the land of Fanelia and promises Hitomi he will finda a way to send her back to Earth. Things quickly get more complicated when they're attacked by the empire of Zaibach, which seems quite bend on acquiring Van's special Gymelef - the titular Escaflowne. Hitomi, Van and the third addition to main cast- Allen Schezar escape and proceed to involve a number of other Kingdoms in their plight, all the while trying to solve the mystery of Hitomi's powers and Van's ancestry. While the story does not break many new grounds, it moves quickly with no filler episodes, is well told and directed. If there is single thing I disliked about it, it was the romance subplot. The whole Merle, Van, Hitomi, Allen, Millerna, Dryden love conundrum was an unholy amount of cheese to suffer through. Though, like I said earlier I quite
liked its ultimate sad conclusion.

As for the characters it was quite the gamble to make the main protagonist, of what is in large part a mecha show, devoid of any substantial combat abilities. One that unfortunately didn't pan very well. Yes Hitomi has her own powers that stop her from being completely useless but too often she was relegated either to cheering from the sidelines or to play the damsel in distress waiting to be rescued. That along with her angst ind love issues made me want to strangle her quite a few times. Though I will say she managed to redeem herself a bit in the final episodes. Allen and Van, the two Gymelef pilots are both likable and get a solid dose of character development. The real star of the show however is Dilandau, one of shows main three adversaries and easily the most demented of them all. His craziness, mannerism and facial expressions, combined with some magnificent VA work make for a truly memorable (if one dimensional) villain. It's a shame that as the series progresses he presents less and less threat up until the moment where the writers
neutered him completely.

downloader.phpfiledilf4aot.gif

Gif from the movie but you get the idea.

I don't really feel technically knowledgeable enough to comment on the visual side of the show at length. I don't think the animation of battles stands up to today standards but other that the show holds up well. I liked the art style and character design, the much maligned pointy noses didn't bother me at all. The music was composed by Hajime Mizoguchi and Yoko Kanno and,being a sucker for Gregorian choirs and chants, I utterly loved it. Some standout tracks:

Chains
Dance of Curse
Shadow of Doubt

All in all very enjoyable show if you can only survive through romance bits.

The Dornkirk=Isaac Newton stuff flew completely above my head

Link Man

Banned
Moon Phase 3

So they turned a vampire's aversion to sunlight into something moe. Meanwhile MC has abandonment issues and Hazuki's mom is only able to contact her in spirit form? I was fighting off sleep towards the end of the episode, so I'm not sure I followed that part very well. Still, the relationship is entertaining.

Midonin

Riddle Story of Devil 04

So we go from a serial killer in the complete other direction to an assassin who can't assassinate. Her backstory was alright, and I'm glad that Haru got to have some sort of happy ending this time around. The various EDs are also pretty nice. The twists on the seven legends of the school was an amusing gag. It's not my favorite show of the season, but it's consistently entertaining, and that's fine enough.

fertygo

The Vision of Escaflowne 25-26 END

I don't really feel technically knowledgeable enough to comment on the visual side of the show at length. I don't think the animation of battles stands up to today standards but other that the show holds up well. I liked the art style and character design, the much maligned pointy noses didn't bother me at all. The music was composed by Hajime Mizoguchi and Yoko Kanno and,being a sucker for Gregorian choirs and chants, I utterly loved it. Some standout tracks:

What?

There's only few mech show that can hold up to Escaflowne's standard in animation direction even now.

There's isn't much flashy animation but the mech always looked Gorgeous and the direction always making sure the giant knight have great sense of weight, in general Escaflowne still one of anime that have the best production value.

Mushishi S2 - 4

They nailed the putrid imagery and descriptions of the animal smells with the grimy color palette this week. It's the kind of subject matter and visuals that would make you want to take a shower after watching it.

Mushishi S2 4

A dark, moody episode, about decay, hunt, power and fear. The atmosphere was incredible, with a gloomy forest in yellow, beige and green, where day and night can't be distinguished well, and the creatures of the wild watch you with eerie eyes.
The tale of the father losing solidity, the shadow and finally his body and soul and being lost forever in the first gave me goosebumps and the crows moment was also well done.
Second time a character loses some body parts, lol.

JoJo S2 4
Those passengers are really calm people, man. Nothing to comment about the beetle stand user, it seemed very unimportant enemy of the week.

Ping Pong 3
Still cool as hell. The mix of dynamic panels, closeup shots, and general shots with more character animation is making the matches work well, while also putting in between small character scenes and dialogs make it really solid.
Smile felt pity of Kong and let him win. It seems he still doesn't have drive to win. Maybe he is just too good and gentle, for him ping pong is a game, a hobby, while for Kong it could ruin his life to lose the match.

Zeppeli

Banned
Because of my earlier slander of tea in this thread, I'm going to pick some up to brew and drink tonight after work while I catch up with today's shows and start a new show. What kind should I get guys?

Link Man

Banned
Senyu 3

:cnet

So the world's most adorable demon king accidentally summoned a hoard of monsters... while making popcorn.

This show is brilliant!

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

Anyone watching this? The first 2 Episodes were fun I thought.

I am. It's nice. So far it's nothing special but if you're looking for a rom-com this season, I don't think you'll dislike it, but it won't necessarily stand out either. I like the two supporting girls and the main girl being a shy loner type is pretty different.

Link Man

Banned
Senyu 7

And we're in jail again. Well, they can't all be great.

I do like how the opening has been changing things up every episode, though.

In this episode, the MC has lunch with like 6 girls including his sister who he just flat out says "I WOULD NOT MIND BEING LOVERS WITH HER, TOO BAD WE ARE RELATED AHAHAHA"
LOL KIDDING
MC's magnetic dickwaves are in full force, making every woman blush and sploosh all over the place for reasons unknown.
He gets invited to the Hogwarts student council with his sister,
but since he's some scrub who can't into magic his sister starts throwing a fit that he needs a position, and he lands disciplinary officer but OH NO the VP is a dickhead for no reason and they get into a fight were the MC wins by doing some Bleach shit.
So far nothing super offensively bad has happened to make me drop this but I can say that about a bunch of shows two episodes in
OST is seems good. OP is alright. ED is pretty good.

JoeFu

Banned
Natsu No Arashi Ep 3

wut

wasn't expecting something like this from the first two episodes.

also took me a while to get used to the art style. Liking the show though, but sometimes it doesn't seem SHAFT enough.

cajunator

Banned
Yes they released an OVA to promote the game.
Also an update

After iM@S. I have a craving for Makomakorin that can't simply be sated.

I know that feeling. But Im definitely going to check out that OVA :D

Will watch.

I saw two cute girls, two wonderful sensei, and at least one main male character who might actually be decent.

Will watch.

Can't wait.

Hope to see more Rei.

That red head. Loved her design since I first saw that joyous artwork a couple years ago. Its finally real!
New waifu tier.

One Week Friends 1

No. Stop. My heart.

Your heart is a goner Im afraid. Make peace with your God.

Moon Phase 3

So they turned a vampire's aversion to sunlight into something moe. Meanwhile MC has abandonment issues and Hazuki's mom is only able to contact her in spirit form? I was fighting off sleep towards the end of the episode, so I'm not sure I followed that part very well. Still, the relationship is entertaining.

Watashi no Shimobe!

Sentai picked up Black Bullet for home release.

-

Which at least for me has all my series picked up for release
Mahouka (aniplex)
Mekakucity Actors (aniplex)
Haikyuu!! (sentai)
No Game No Life (Sentai)
Kamiaso (sentai)
Black Bullet (sentai)

Good season.

Im just curious. what kind of work do you do?

Because of my earlier slander of tea in this thread, I'm going to pick some up to brew and drink tonight after work while I catch up with today's shows and start a new show. What kind should I get guys?

somethingl ike cinnamon apple spice is a very tasty tea brew. Maybe Earl Grey if you like bergamot.

It would also make a neat triple bill of military based anime: KanColle's Ships, Strike Wtiches' "Planes" and the GuP OVA's tanks.

It now occurs to me that Kancolle will likely be licensed too so I can actually own ALL of these cutie military girls shows and that thought makes me a super happy squee thing of great bouncing joy. Anime is Great. I love everything.

Jojo Stardust Crusaders-4

Yet another great episode, combat was short lived but entertaining enough, really looking forward to the next week's fight.

PD: God damnit Joseph, stop crashing planes!

fertygo

Ping-Pong - 03

The whole scene above are so good, and I can take few more screenshot from there.. that said after the OP ended I can't said I'm satisfied with the rest of episode :(

The sense of cinematography/framing felt shot down after they entering the stadium, this episode definitely weren't tightly storyboarded as first two episode, and tbh I think its rather ugly :(

I'm so spoiled with first two eps, hopefully there's still more episode like those.. and I can't say I'm happy with the plot point in the end as obvious that was.

The music still goddamn amazing though, I need it.

Ping-Pong - 03

The sense of cinematography/framing felt shot down after they entering the stadium, this episode definitely weren't tightly storyboarded as first two episode, and tbh I think its rather ugly :(

The music still goddamn amazing though, I need it.

Really? I thought this episode had the best cinematography and framing yet.
And yes the OST for this series is much needed.

Jex

Hunter x Hunter - 58

And that wraps up that arc, which is actually slightly better than I remembered. One thing that I keep forgetting about this series is that Hisoka, as an antagonist, is sometimes equivalent to the protagonist in how much screen time he gets. Quite the hard working villain.

Midonin

School Days 10-Nice Boat + Valentine Days

That escalated quickly. Not only did the basketball team film all the sex going on, they showed it to everyone. That's... underhanded, even by the standards of these girl cliques. You'd never see that happen in a Mari Okada series, as dramatic as they can get. And Makoto. Damn. I knew he had trouble keeping it in his pants in general, but the string of girls in the last few episodes happened almost too quickly. And when he did let Kotonoha down, it was obviously too late to change her mind.

I wasn't sure which one of the main two girls initiated the nice boat, and it looks like
they're both responsible.
The pregnancy subplot also felt like a sudden shock move. The last few episodes were definitely designed to be provocative, and the final episode delivered on that. There was enough hints in the episodes before with the camera lingering on knives and the
head
bag before they came into play, but about 16 minutes into the final episode, the sudden shift in tone was almost too much.
So Kotonoha kills a pregnant girl and rests on the nice boat with her boyfriend's severed head. That's... pretty shocking.
I'm sure it had more impact when it aired, but this was my first time seeing it, even knowing of it beforehand, and it didn't feel like it was dulled by knowing about it.

For the show itself overall, it's hard to divorce the boat from the rest of the show, since it was building to that point, but I was surprised by how typical the show was. It had elements of distrust planted as early as the first episode, but then you have moments like the war of the school festival cafes that felt oddly out of place with where the series was going. Up until episode 8 or so felt almost like another romcom. And I like romcoms, so I don't mean that as an insult. For the ethical side of things, there's a lot of shades of gray, but if Makoto had found a way to say "no" and let Kotonoha down gently early on, maybe it could've been avoided, though the series itself suggests the root of the problem lies in before the show even started. Kotonoha's not the most stable herself - her life really kind of sucks - and Sekai can't be honest, but that's the definition of drama. An imperfect group of people we still sympathize with. I wonder if the show would hold up to a repeat viewing.

It's certainly unique, and I don't mind melodrama, so overall I found it average, with a bit of shock value. I'm also glad I watched the Valentine Days OVA shortly after, since a bit of self-parody helps alleviate the gruesomeness of the boating. School Days is not the kind of visual novel I'd play, but I can certainly understand how it got its infamy now.

And from what I remember of Magical Heart, that was fun.

My visual novel/List journey continues with Shuffle.

fertygo

Really? I thought this episode had the best cinematography and framing yet.
And yes the OST for this series is much needed.

Prove it with screenshot, lets shoubu!
I feel they abusing way too much comic panel approach, and the close-up shot isn't using that much of different angle.
Hunter x Hunter - 58

And that wraps up that arc, which is actually slightly better than I remembered. One thing that I keep forgetting about this series is that Hisoka, as an antagonist, is sometimes equivalent to the protagonist in how much screen time he gets. Quite the hard working villain.
Keep going :nicholsonyes.gif:

Hunter x Hunter - 58

We all would watch the fun (and sometimes violent) adventures of Hisoka, almost with more interest than the ones lived by Gon. He knows how to live a life worth to follow!

The first scene after the opening of Ping Pong 3, with the camera following the ball looking at each character was great, it isn't getting enough recognition.

The first scene after the opening of Ping Pong 3, with the camera following the ball looking at each character was great, it isn't getting enough recognition.

I also thought that all the shots of the ball hitting the paddle in lots of detail were great too.

Oh gosh, going from watching Jojo's to Sakura Trick is one of the greatest things ever.

That's two complete opposite sides of the spectrum.

No Game No Life 3

All those references were awesome, it definitely makes this anime more enjoyable. I got to say I really like Sora as the MC, he definitely makes moments funny.

Also if theirs one thing I learned from this episode it would be that as long as there is cuteness in the world, the world shall not fall.

I chose the right day to play Dark Souls for 5 hours nonstop, no animu I care about besides JoJo Fridays ftw.

And yes I want to watch Mushishi but I gotta rewatch the first season first, no rush

Baby Steps 1

I got to say I'm really liking this anime especially since Ei is not your every day prodigy of sports. It also seems like romance is about to bloom which is a plus for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom