• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has to, otherwise the series is just masturbatory like every other one of these LNs/animes.

I agree. I am hopeful. It didn't seem like one of those shows when I was watching it.

Black Bullet 2

The tone of this is all over the place, I can't say it's great but it's certainly entertaining. The villain alone is enough to keep me watching. I feel like this show is going to be very hit or miss for most people

I am getting that feeling too. I only watched the first episode but I can already tell this is gonna be one of those anime that splits the community.

If you'd like to bitch about lists other than mine, please go here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803253

It's your own personal list. What's there to complain about? I don't think I've seen anyone really complain about it other than a few who have made an off comment about a few anime they would personally put in.

cajunator

Banned
Oh, one other thing. I didn't create my test a means of surveying what people had and hadn't watched just as a tool to consider when choosing what to watch. Therefore I've been very surprised to see how many people in this thread haven't seen Millennium Actress, which is one of the best films ever made, period. Out of all the titles I, wrongly, assumed that it would be equivalent to a Ghibli film and everyone would already have seen it.

If you're one of the many people who haven't seen that movie I strongly urge you to check it out as soon as possible.

I fully agree with this. Maybe it seems I hype this movie too much but I truly believe it to be one of the best films in existence. It hit me on a level I never expected, and Im not even a person very much interested in romance.

The director and his cameraman really dragged the quality of the movie down imo.

Highly disagree. For one thing,
they were the ones making a documentary and the method of jump-starting Chiyoko's memories of her past
. Their inclusion only furthered the immersion into Chiyokos story as seen by both the viewer and through their eyes. In particular
Genya, who developed a romantic interest in Chiyoko and recalled his feelings for her as he self-inserted in various movie roles as the hero to her. All the time she was chasing her love in the shadows, someone who truly loved her for all she was was never discovered until it was too late.
Its actually a pretty tragic story, but
still bittersweet that Chiyoko finally died able to remember her love for someone who drove her very meaning to live and Genya demonstrated a little of how much he cared for her
This movie is so fucking good. Its not only Kon's best movie that truly reflected utilized his blurring of fantasy with reality seamlessly, its probably one of the best anime movies and Id even put it up there with the best movies period. Its that well made. I simply cannot praise this movie highly enough for what it is to me. I just cant.

Xs1YKBg.png

Nope

3r2mbf.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Captain Earth 2

Way better then the first episode, that shot of defiance made the MC way more enjoyable then I ever expected him to be. I am getting an impression this is going to turn into Bones version of Evangelion though

They already did that with Eureka Seven.

Can't wait for the next character poll arc!

No Game No Life 2

While this show is still disgusting, I have to admit I was entertained by that episode. Any episode with a Jojo reference can't be that bad, even if it is used in totally the wrong context. Also...

Even the main character admits it!

It's weird because the show has these perverted shots, yet it keeps making these self-aware comments and jokes that it's almost charming. Almost. Like I'll still watch, but seriously make that sister speak like a normal human being. Stop sighing.

cnet128

Banned
No Game No Life 2

Large quantities of lewdness in this episode. Sadly it was mostly not of a kind that particularly appeals to me, but eh, I'm not complaining. Steph is definitely a fun character though, and the results of Sora's "request" were abso-fucking-lutely golden.

And as people have already mentioned, dat WRYYYYYYYY xp

Still definitely one of my favourite shows of the season so far.

cajunator

Banned
Madoka Magica Rebellion.

Ok I seriously loved this movie but I can see why it would piss people off.
The reason that
Homura turned evil
was basically, from what I gathered anyway, because
Madoka had become a "law of the universe" and the ultimate good. Homura realized that the only way to preserve her memories of Madoka forever and to truly make her hers (a very selfish love of course) was to break that law and thus become the polar opposite of Madoka, necessitating becoming ultimate evil.
I found the opening to be quite an interesting setup
taking place entirely in Homuras mind as a witch under control of Kyubey's species in a bizarre experiment of sorts
The cake song was ADORABLE. Like I had to listen to it three times watching the movie and then I found it on youtube and watched it a good dozen other times. Definitely my favorite part. Also the transformations of the girls were very creative and fitting for a movie.
Some things I did have issue with are
Bebe as Mami's pet
that was pretty fucked up. Although it did give the movie one more cutie to squee at.
Surprisingly though she had very little relevance to anything
which was disappointing.
Overall I think the movie had some weird pacing and just literally ended on a specific idea. I was left wanting to see more. I feel like I understand where the movie was trying to go though so ultimately it was an enjoyable experience. But yeah, its going to provoke a LOT of fans. In that way I guess Madoka Magica really is the Eva of magical girl shows.
One thing this movie is though, is beautiful. Shaft pulled all the weird mindfucks out of their hat with this one.

One final thing. Im not very good at spotting symbolism in cinematography and all that jazz, but
was there a prison motif going on there? So many vertical architectures like prison bars or a jail cell. I mean they were trapped in Homuras world against their will and deceived.

Jex

It's your own personal list. What's there to complain about? I don't think I've seen anyone really complain about it other than a few who have made an off comment about a few anime they would personally put in.

Just my little joke.

If I'm going to be completely honest I've never seen Millenium Actress. Or Tokyo Godfathers. Two movies the anime community seems to not shut up about. But then again it took me pretty long to give Wolf Children a try. And I'm glad I did

so I could say it was a bit overrated

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If I'm going to be completely honest I've never seen Millenium Actress. Or Tokyo Godfathers. Two movies the anime community seems to not shut up about. But then again it took me pretty long to give Wolf Children a try. And I'm glad I did

so I could say it was a bit overrated

But it was about your people! Or wait, unless dogs have a beef with wolves.

ignoring fanservice, is Seikon no Qwaser worth watching?
If you removefanservice from Qwaser , what remains is .......

Well

i have no idea.

Qwaser without fanservice = " "

A void.... Pure nothingness.

Madoka Magica Rebellion.

Ok I seriously loved this movie but I can see why it would piss people off.
The reason that
Homura turned evil
was basically, from what I gathered anyway, because
Madoka had become a "law of the universe" and the ultimate good. Homura realized that the only way to preserve her memories of Madoka forever and to truly make her hers (a very selfish love of course) was to break that law and thus become the polar opposite of Madoka, necessitating becoming ultimate evil.
I found the opening to be quite an interesting setup
taking place entirely in Homuras mind as a witch under control of Kyubey's species in a bizarre experiment of sorts
The cake song was ADORABLE. Like I had to listen to it three times watching the movie and then I found it on youtube and watched it a good dozen other times. Definitely my favorite part. Also the transformations of the girls were very creative and fitting for a movie.
Some things I did have issue with are
Bebe as Mami's pet
that was pretty fucked up. Although it did give the movie one more cutie to squee at.
Surprisingly though she had very little relevance to anything
which was disappointing.
Overall I think the movie had some weird pacing and just literally ended on a specific idea. I was left wanting to see more. I feel like I understand where the movie was trying to go though so ultimately it was an enjoyable experience. But yeah, its going to provoke a LOT of fans. In that way I guess Madoka Magica really is the Eva of magical girl shows.
One thing this movie is though, is beautiful. Shaft pulled all the weird mindfucks out of their hat with this one.

One final thing. Im not very good at spotting symbolism in cinematography and all that jazz, but
was there a prison motif going on there? So many vertical architectures like prison bars or a jail cell. I mean they were trapped in Homuras world against their will and deceived.

Cake song was pretty cool.
I agree with your reaction but i disagree with the "Eva of magical girl show".Unless i've missed something , Madoka puella didn't influence other show the way eva influenced some mecha show at the time.
I think puella magica is a very well done franchise , just not as revolutionnary as most people think.

Bebe
was a perfect exemple of a character that was there only to confuse the viewers.They knew perfectly the impact of this design would have on anyone who has seen the Tv show. Same thing for her real form. I recall some crazy theories when her human design was revealed and some people thought it was a human form kyubei , and other thought that it was madoka+homura daughter... I feel like her entire existence was made only to throw people off because if you pay attention , most of the important talk was made by sayaka and she could have performed that duty by herself no big deal.

The writters , such trolls.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Her is that film about Hollywood taking the concept of waifus and trying to make it serious right?

Well

i have no idea.

You still have Hana!

Kyuur

Captain Earth 2

Way better then the first episode, that shot of defiance made the MC way more enjoyable then I ever expected him to be. I am getting an impression this is going to turn into Bones version of Evangelion though

This is literally what I thought. And I'm hyped for it.

cajunator

Banned

Well

i have no idea.

I agree with your reaction but i disagree with the "Eva of magical girl show".Unless i've missed something , Madoka puella didn't influence other show the way eva influenced some mecha show at the time.
I think puella magica is a very well done franchise , just not as revolutionnary as most people think.

Bebe
was a perfect exemple of a character that was there only to confuse the viewers.They knew perfectly the impact of this design would have on anyone who has seen the Tv show. Same thing for her real form. I recall some crazy theories when her human design was revealed and some people thought it was a human form kyubei , and other thought that it was madoka+homura daughter... I feel like her entire existence was made only to throw people off because if you pay attention , most of the important talk was made by sayaka and she could have performed that duty by herself no big deal.

The writters , such trolls.

Well I dont think there will ever be another show that made an impact on a whole industry like Eva, hence when I say the Eva of Mahou Shoujo in this case Im more referring to how it transcended the normal boundaries of a mahou shoujo audience and also how the story was extended into a movie that went a highly controversial direction.

It's a bit early to tell, but we're already getting shows that attempt to ride off the success of using the theme of 'tragic magical girls' like Selector Infected WIXOSS or Day Break Illusion. I don't think we would have seen these particular shows pop up if Madoka hadn't ended up performing as well as it did.

Edit: Man I hate how they spell that word. "we-cross" =? WIXOSS

cnet128

Banned
Hitsugi no Chaika 2

Wow, I really like the way the main character fights in this. Always on his toes and keeping his enemies on theirs, using anything he has to hand to lay sneaky traps the second he gets a free moment, while also not being afraid to charge in and mount a direct offensive when the situation calls for it.

This show continues to be much better than it feels like it has any right to be.

Her is that film about Hollywood taking the concept of waifus and trying to make it serious right?

You still have Hana!

Hana ? her entire role is to be a soma emergency walking battery for her "queen".
I don't count that as something meaningfull.( if you don't care about fanservice )

I liked qwaser , it was fun to turn off your brain and enjoy : Huge boobs sucking, finger sucking and that "part licking" + yuri + shota rebel main character in a world that isn't a battle shonen nor a straight mystery , aventure nor action .
I honnestly don't even know if the qwaser writter knew what it wanted to do except draw the characters type he wanted to and be as perverted as he could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom