• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppeli

Banned
The chance of losing a pilot by deploying him in a raid is significantly higher than the chance is when blowing the enemy base to kingdom come. Not only are the Gamilans more numerous than the humans, they're technically better equipped, too, since they're winning this war.

But rather than take that amazing ace and saying "HEY GET THE FUCK OUT OF OUR SOLAR SYSTEM OR WE WILL BLOW YOU THE FUCK UP" for some reason we're gonna waste what few human lives are left for a piece of rock that couldn't help mankind anyway. I'm all for preserving the environment, but this is total war. You can't afford to pull punches right now.

But it's not zero percent. In my case that's as good as 100 percent!

cajunator

Banned
Because the Madoka Rebellion movie could have ended 10 (or was it 15) minutes sooner. Literally. That would have been a perfect moment to stop it. I actually thought the movie WAS going to end at that point. And then it continued.... and did that fucking twist.

Imagine enjoying a layer cake, but the bottom layer is festering diseased shit. You still going to eat that last layer? Really?

It could have but I think how it ended fits well with the tone of the series. Its not a happy show and everything doesnt have a nice outcome. The show even hinted at such an outcome.

iG8bxPIN14lOV.jpg

Shes right..

Rebellion elevates the franchise.

its a different direction it could go. I like that they had the guts to do it.

so i shouldn't watch madoka movie 3?

confused.

atelier esha logy 3

its impressive how good looking the cg robot looks compare to how bad the 2d action is animated.

Watch the movie and make your own conclusions.

Jex

Maybe she's a shitty accountant.

Most of the best staff died in episode 1, so this is entirely possible.
But they
try to kill everyone one the Pluto base
anyway. The only difference is they
lose some of their own
and save a worthless rock.
Don't you understand that NUCLEAR WEAPONS ARE BAD?

In all seriousness, that's literally the whole point of the Wave Motion Gun. Nuclear Energy + Nuclear Bombs = Wave Motion Energy + Wave Motion Gun. It's just a metaphor!

It's not meant, necessarily, to be a realistic portrayal of a military operation in the future because it's Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and the literal Yamato is now a SPACESHIP that fights BLUE ALIENS.

CorvoSol

#gottahavefaith

#becomingthemonsteryou'retryingtofight

Frankly if I had the hilariously agile Death Star that Yamato is, I wouldn't be wasting my time on this frilly trip to magical blonde space woman paradise. I'd be finding the Gamilan homeworld, paying it a visit, and razing it to the ground without a second's thought. Because that's how you win a war. You become the bigger, scarier monster, slaughter the lesser monster, and tell your children they're lucky to be alive to hate you for doing it.

Fuck this handwringing nonsense about sparing a planet or the moral high ground. The moral high ground won't feed humanity, won't save it from living in squallor and filth underground. You know what would, though?

Burning the Gamilan homeworld to the ground. Blowing it to smithereens. Capturing the dust, milling it into toilet paper, using that to wipe my ass and then launching it into the sun.

This is war, and Lynn Minmay is not going to win this shit for us.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
CorvoSol: Uh, taking out your enemy while you die yourself when you had the chance to win AND survive is dumb.

Earth is a dead world in Yamato. Unless they get to Iscandar there is no hope.

sonicmj1

Frankly if I had the hilariously agile Death Star that Yamato is, I wouldn't be wasting my time on this frilly trip to magical blonde space woman paradise. I'd be finding the Gamilan homeworld, paying it a visit, and razing it to the ground without a second's thought. Because that's how you win a war. You become the bigger, scarier monster, slaughter the lesser monster, and tell your children they're lucky to be alive to hate you for doing it.

Fuck this handwringing nonsense about sparing a planet or the moral high ground. The moral high ground won't feed humanity, won't save it from living in squallor and filth underground. You know what would, though?

Burning the Gamilan homeworld to the ground. Blowing it to smithereens. Capturing the dust, milling it into toilet paper, using that to wipe my ass and then launching it into the sun.

That's literally sacrificing humanity to get revenge and continue the cycle of war. The Wave Motion Gun can make many things explode, but it can't restore Earth back to what it was.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Most of the best staff died in episode 1, so this is entirely possible.
Don't you understand that NUCLEAR WEAPONS ARE BAD?

In all seriousness, that's literally the whole point of the Wave Motion Gun. Nuclear Energy + Nuclear Bombs = Wave Motion Energy + Wave Motion Gun. It's just a metaphor!

It's not meant, necessarily, to be a realistic portrayal of a military operation in the future because it's Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and the literal Yamato is now a SPACESHIP that fights BLUE ALIENS.

I mean, you have alien space babes
basically saying it was a test, in all but name
. So...

CorvoSol

That's literally sacrificing humanity to get revenge and continue the cycle of war. The Wave Motion Gun can make many things explode, but it can't restore Earth back to what it was.

It isn't sacrificing humanity at all. It's winning a goddamn war. Rebuild afterward. Find a new planet. But don't ever think you're safe as long as the Gamilans live. Those bastards destroyed the entire Earth. You think they're going to stop if Iscandar or whoever else come to your aid? You think magic rejuvenation of the Earth through alien tech is gonna save your ass when the Gamilans come back?

The only safety comes when every last Gamilan is dead and dust. There are no good guys and bad guys. There are dead guys and winners. There is no continuation of the cycle of war because the Gamilans will be extinct.

Jex

Well, they have no idea where their homeworld is and even they did, it wouldn't help. The Yamato is designed to save the Earth, not commit genocide on a galactic scale.

CorvoSol

Well, they have no idea where their homeworld is and even they did, it wouldn't help. The Yamato is designed to save the Earth, not commit genocide on a galactic scale.

You sure could've fooled me, what with it having a gun designed to commit genocide on a galactic scale. And that tech for quick travel anywhere in the galaxy. And its first mission being to run right out and attack an enemy base.

It's also extremely disappointing that the Wave Motion Gun can blow up a fucking planet but the Wave Motion Shield can't repel shit.

Jex

You sure could've fooled me, what with it having a gun designed to commit genocide on a galactic scale. And that tech for quick travel anywhere in the galaxy.

It's also extremely disappointing that the Wave Motion Gun can blow up a fucking planet but the Wave Motion Shield can't repel shit.

It's explicitly stated that the gun is for self-defence (like Japan after World War II OH MY GOD THE PARALLELS). They say that numerous times, you're startling to sound a bit like Stalin over there!
It isn't sacrificing humanity at all. It's winning a goddamn war. Rebuild afterward. Find a new planet. But don't ever think you're safe as long as the Gamilans live. Those bastards destroyed the entire Earth. You think they're going to stop if Iscandar or whoever else come to your aid? You think magic rejuvenation of the Earth through alien tech is gonna save your ass when the Gamilans come back?

The only safety comes when every last Gamilan is dead and dust. There are no good guys and bad guys. There are dead guys and winners. There is no continuation of the cycle of war because the Gamilans will be extinct.
?

They're on a tight time schedule to save the millions of people who still live on Earth. I don't even understand what you're saying here.

sonicmj1

You are Flint Asuno.

You have become what you despise.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon Crystal character art:

seiyuu:

Mercury: Kanemoto Hisako
Mars: Satou Rina
Jupiter: Koshimizu Ami
Venus: Itou Shizuka
Moon: Mitsuishi Kotono

Mitsuishi's the only one reprising her original role, but the others that I'm familiar with sound like great fits.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SO it looks like a whole shitload of Sailor Moon Crystal news just broke including the premiere date of July 5th, 2014 at 7PM.

CorvoSol

It's explicitly stated that the gun is for self-defence (like Japan after World War II OH MY GOD THE PARALLELS). They say that numerous times, you're startling to sound a bit like Stalin over there!

?

They're on a tight time schedule to save the millions of people who still live on Earth. I don't even understand what you're saying here.

Oh yeah the Soviet arsenal was tooooooooooootally for self defense. Uh huh. I mean, never mind that it was so powerful they had to test it in the air for fear of permanently damaging the Earth's crust. Totally self defense.

Are you even listening to yourself? It's a gun. It blows up planets. What about that is self-defense?

And moving beyond that incredibly and unexpectedly stupid argument, if you have a weapon this powerful you use the threat of it, except they didn't. They made the stupid decision to risk all their men and leave their boat completely undefended, nearly lost this boat that was so important and did so on a mission for which there were numerous better solutions.

It's stupid, insipid, and I cannot believe how quickly Captain McCooldude's angry resolve peters out in this episode. One minute he's all "Yeah let's go punish the Gamilan!" the next minute he's like "Noooo let's lightly pepper them." And if they're in such a fucking hurry why are we stopping at Pluto to do this at all?

None of what you've said really holds up.

You are Flint Asuno.

You have become what you despise.

Eh. I see what you're trying to get at, but I'd like to point out Gunbuster as my counterpoint. Those people were willing to win at the cost of planets. They took Jupiter, turned it into a bomb, and blew up the galaxy to save the human race. You can't half ass this stuff, and that's exactly what's wrong with this episode of Yamato. Every decision made in this episode was outstandingly stupid.

I realize I'm doing that thing I do where I dare point out stupid things about shows you all love, but this entire episode was a tactical blunder of massive proportions.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
More on Sailor Moon Crystal, apparently it'll air on 1st and 3rd Saturday every month as well. 2 eps a mo? Boy, they're in it for the long haul...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mekakucity Actors 03
It took three episodes for the show to reveal its premise, but it still hasn't really laid out the direction it wants to go in. What are the characters motives? What is the goal of all of this? These essential pieces can't be missing for this long. As for the content itself I'm not sure if Shaft's ambition with this show makes up for the poor execution. Mekakucity Actors only really plays up what Shaft isn't very good at. Too many characters get crammed on stage and you wind up with none of them really shining as they all try to get a word in to remind you they exist. Overreaching on scope is one of the biggest hang ups the series faces, and the hostage situation in a mall scene just comes across as something Shaft can't handle. Seeing the events play out a second time delivers even less tension, and this new perspective doesn't reveal an interesting plan being executed on from behind the scenes. Instead we get this embarrassing scramble to pick up all of the pieces this show has laid out so far.

extra stuff I don't feel like elaborating on:
"Have you ever felt different than everyone else in a crowd" sets up the teenage masturbatory fantasy pretty hard here.
Terrible layouts. Ugly and lazy backgrounds behind bad character art. People randomly pop from one pose to another for whatever the storyboarder thinks might look cool. The complete ignorance to basic details is atrocious.

CorvoSol

JoJosona 3

So I'm confused. I thought that Ripple powers were retconned out and Stands were the new hotness? So how come Old Man JoJo used a Ripple Overdrive to kill the flesh bud?

I dunno why you guys still point this stuff out to me, I always push anime ages back by a full decade. Everything from last season clearly aired in 2003.

Started watching AnoHana cause I couldnt sleep and got up to ep 4 so far and --

Episode 4

HAHAH WHAT THE FUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKKKK

Holy shit lol What the hell

Branduil

This isn't even airing on TV. It's only streaming on Niconico Douga as far as we know. The entire thing seems to be bankrolled by Dwango, who are also producing the musicals iirc. I'm not expecting much honestly. It feels to me that someone decided they needed a new Sailor Moon anime for businesss reasons before anything actually existed, and they eventually found people to make it.

RIP Sailor Moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom