• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? 3
gochuumonusagi3.jpg
gochuumonusagi3a.jpg

gochuumonusagi3b.jpg
gochuumonusagi3c.jpg

This show is like Kinmoza times infinity. Something this good has no right to exist!

Majin Bone 4

Usually the Toei budget and crappy CG would do me in but everything else just manages to hold things together, and then comes the ED that just exudes charm and washes all my doubts away~

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not even the most hilarious line in Nightshift Nurses.

See, I, along with the rest of AnimeGAF, wouldn't know because we don't watch filthy shows like that. Just good old wholesome U-PG rated anime that is suitable for the whole family.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
School Days 2

Master of Romance right here, ladies and gentlemen. I'm having Cringe Channel flashbacks.

Keep thinking with that dick, kid.

Jesus fucking Christ. I can't watch this.

How Not to Date Someone 101

You didn't earn that shit, kid.

Yami 3

Wait we're you in the last story or whatever? You should know who she is and should be coming out of the book at the same time too, right?

Get Lost in a Book at Your Local Library™

I can't tell if this some shit or top tier quality fanservice.

I, too, can recognize people by only description of their foreheads.

WHY IS THERE A ROBOT CLOWN WITH A JETPACK WHY

You only got one bird with that stone? C-, see me after class.

THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING TO THAT STATUE WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK

and why did you bandage him in the first place if you could using your Mr. Medic Mime powers to heal him?

did that girl faint faster than the
dying girl falling in slow motion?
hahahaha

Captain Earth 4

Mahou Shoujo Hacker girl: quickly building her lead as best girl.

This show as been predictable as fuck so far. Needs some twists, ASAP.

Mushishi Zoku Shou 4

Aww yeah we
guns
now.

Easily one of the creepiest Mushishi episodes ever. Just everything about it: nasty ill-green-and-black atmospheric coloring, those
creepy yellow eyes
, and a
possessed and turned psychopath
victim. Jesus christ.

Tonari no Seki-kun! 17

Pretty standard, but still good. Never seen that
Japanese Pin-the-tail-on-the-Donkey
game before, though.

cajunator

Banned
Try being gone for a month. I was an OT behind.

Now thats a catch-up job

Up to page 129 now and I just realized I didn't deliver my Anohana Series Review. I am going to get on that.

Also, #TeamOnodera. People who hate her are monsters.

I agree with this sentiment.

Love Live 4
Totally cliche as fuck, but they managed to make her -

an interesting/sympathetic character. It felt much like that idolmaster episode where the kugiloli girl meets the twenty siblings that one of the other poor girls have.

Best Love Live
Nico-Nico-Niii~

Oh my goodness! So happy!

tumblr_n44eq2UGkG1s6zmx0o1_500.gif

Best band girl

School Days 2

Master of Romance right here, ladies and gentlemen. I'm having Cringe Channel flashbacks.

Keep thinking with that dick, kid.

Jesus fucking Christ. I can't watch this.

How Not to Date Someone 101

You didn't earn that shit, kid.

Yami 3

Wait we're you in the last story or whatever? You should know who she is and should be coming out of the book at the same time too, right?

Get Lost in a Book at Your Local Library™

I can't tell if this some shit or top tier quality fanservice.

I, too, can recognize people by only description of their foreheads.

WHY IS THERE A ROBOT CLOWN WITH A JETPACK WHY

You only got one bird with that stone? C-, see me after class.

THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING TO THAT STATUE WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK

and why did you bandage him in the first place if you could using your Mr. Medic Mime powers to heal him?

did that girl faint faster than the
dying girl falling in slow motion?
hahahaha

Captain Earth 4

Mahou Shoujo Hacker girl: quickly building her lead as best girl.

This show as been predictable as fuck so far. Needs some twists, ASAP.

Mushishi Zoku Shou 4

Aww yeah we
guns
now.

Easily one of the creepiest Mushishi episodes ever. Just everything about it: nasty ill-green-and-black atmospheric coloring, those
creepy yellow eyes
, and a
possessed and turned psychopath
victim. Jesus christ.

Tonari no Seki-kun! 17

Pretty standard, but still good. Never seen that
Japanese Pin-the-tail-on-the-Donkey
game before, though.

I shall pay close attention to your near future posts :D

Maison Ikkoku END
I'm a bit divided on how I feel about this show. On one hand, the slow buildup and years of relationship development is pretty great. It depicts a relationship that has meaningful progress and a satisfying conclusion. The show pays off with some really great character moments, making the frustration worthwhile. But the length is both a blessing and curse. It allows room for some excellent character development, but just as often ends up hurting the characters because of the shenanigans involved with needing to keep things unresolved for so long. Kyoko and Godai are both spineless to the point of absurdity, at times stretching their credibility as real people. The tenants didn't work as the comedic relief they should have been because more often than not, their actions are just infuriating and they come off as simply awful people that I'd want to physically harm if I knew them in real life. The tenants have their moments, but there are simply way too many instances of selfish douchebaggery for them to be likable.

The show revolves around misunderstandings, and there are some interesting points made about the human social experience made through them, but the device is just used over and over. As the episodes wore on and on and on, my tolerance for the misunderstandings, delaying tactics, and stretched out developments wore thin, and at points it made me dislike the characters. There was a small part of the show in which each episode I watched just left me angry. But the show eventually managed to pull itself out of those dark times, and I began to enjoy it again. The last stretch of the show is executed well, and while the misunderstandings don't disappear, I found them more amusing than anything else.

I ultimately enjoyed this show despite my issues with it, but I'm not sure if it's something I'd give as a general recommendation. There is a really good show in here, but it often requires the patience of a saint to see/get to it.

There's still a movie sequel that I haven't watched, but it doesn't seem to be much more than a fleshed out version of the last episode. I watched the other specials and they weren't all that great.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Basileus777: I think that all of your criticism are fair to make, although they didn't bother me quite as much when I watched it. I would agree that the length does tend to wear on, but the shift when Godai starts student-teaching was a nice refresher for me, and the introduction of Yagami to examine the situation from a new perspective also nice to have. Despite this, and ignoring the black mark I mentioned before, the show did tend to drag a bit on me around the 3/4 mark, but as it started nearing the end things picked up and everything was just so thoroughly satisfying at the conclusion I couldn't help but love the show as a whole. Furthermore, it remains impressive how specific sensitive themes were handled in the show.

Theonik

Basileus777: I think that all of your criticism are fair to make, although they didn't bother me quite as much when I watched it. I would agree that the length does tend to wear on, but the shift when Godai starts student-teaching was a nice refresher for me, and the introduction of Yagami to examine the situation from a new perspective also nice to have. Despite this, and ignoring the black mark I mentioned before, the show did tend to drag a bit on me around the 3/4 mark, but as it started nearing the end things picked up and everything was just so thoroughly satisfying at the end I couldn't help but love the show as a whole.

I still need time to contemplate on how I feel on the show as a whole. There are the dark times you mentioned, but there was also a string of episodes when Godai first started working at the cabaret when my tolerance for the way the show was using its contrivances just broke. Thankfully the show recovered, but right now I'm not entirely sure how to juggle that against the exceptional ending, and my enjoyment for the rest of the show. A year from now I imagine that the fond moments in it will remain in my memory and not the frustration, but I just finished it an hour ago, so who knows.

I agree about the thematic elements though, it's one of the things that really stands out.

cajunator

Banned
THE iDOLM@STER 07

A Yayoi Iori episode! This was very good.
I see this is where that cucumber screenshot is from.
Some great fleshing out of both Yayoi but mostly Iori. Iori's foodgasm was pretty adorable. As was her scaring the little kids. And the tsun at the end. In Kugiyu we trust.
Also this reminded me of Senran Kagura so much.
The next episode preview looked pretty UNF. I think I might die.

It is quite possible. You havent seen Makoto at full power yet. Im not sure if you are ready.

Say "I love you" Episode 5

This series is making me feel things. It's so good.

I actually just finished up this show myself. Enjoyed it, though it does fall for that silly trope where they have to come up with dumb misunderstandings to create tension. But it was a nice show.

THE iDOLM@STER 07

A Yayoi Iori episode! This was very good.
I see this is where that cucumber screenshot is from.
Some great fleshing out of both Yayoi but mostly Iori. Iori's foodgasm was pretty adorable. As was her scaring the little kids. And the tsun at the end. In Kugiyu we trust.
Also this reminded me of Senran Kagura so much.
The next episode preview looked pretty UNF. I think I might die.
Based Iori being DA HNNNNNNNNNNNNNG. You'll UNF at Makoto because handsome but next episode is mostly an Azusa episode.

Hero Bank Episode 4

Probably the weakest episode so far since it doesnt really feel like it advanced the main plot and the second hair salon shop plot felt so minor in the entire episodes context.

At least Kaito can beat high level opponents.

The Date A Live website's been updated with some store-specific BR/DVD order bonuses. Only Kurumi one so far is a poster for WonderGOO (below), but half of them aren't finalised yet.

7982482wej3e.jpg

Oh wow. I totally forgot this was a thing. Imoutos are pretty strong. kotori has a chance. Just not in MY heart.
Of course , we don't care , kurumi will win anyway ...

Let me set -up my proxies and i'll be right back ..
DAL's actually doing really well in Int Saimoe at the moment. Kurumi, Kotori and Yoshino are all 6/6 so far. Tohka's 5/6 after losing to Rikka from Chuunibyou. Origami is Origami (2/4).

... er, not that I care about it. Honestly.

cajunator

Banned
The Date A Live website's been updated with some store-specific BR/DVD order bonuses. Only Kurumi one so far is a poster for WonderGOO (below), but half of them aren't finalised yet.

7982482wej3e.jpg

DAL's actually doing really well in Int Saimoe at the moment. Kurumi, Kotori and Yoshino are all 6/6 so far. Tohka's 5/6 after losing to Rikka from Chuunibyou. Origiami is Origami (2/4).

... er, not that I care about it. Honestly.

OH FUCK

Oreca Battle Episode 4

I thought the fight was enjoyable and though it had some predictable parts that ending to it was intense.
I didnt think Tanta would completely go to the dark side and join him.

sonicmj1

Spice and Wolf 3

Now that they have Soeren's offer to investigate, Lawrence and Holo have their first real conflict on their hands.

I enjoyed this episode more than any other so far. Our leading pair's interactions are as delightful as ever (Holo's childlike love of food is adorable), but this time things were backed up by events with some actual stakes, between the selling of Lawrence's furs and dealing with the coin rumor. And that gives a new dynamic to their interactions, with Lawrence's experience with the modern economy matched with Holo's centuries of wisdom.

iMge4qhnlcxs1.jpg

I liked this subtle little smirk during the fur negotiations.

The main draw so far has been the writing far more than the direction, but there were some nice touches in this episode. I like Lawrence's mannerisms during his negotiation at the trading house, and Holo does a nice job imitating many of them when she makes her renewed pitch. And the final scene had a nice intensity to it.

ibodvM9K7AYrjh.jpg

Holo's kinda selfish. Her reasoning during this scene struck me as self-serving, and I feel like these spilled beans reflect her attitude. As long as she's got her handful, everything will work out.

I'm curious what conclusion Lawrence reached about the
depreciating currency
. I'm having trouble developing a good theory of my own, unless
the financial markets are developed enough for futures trading.
But I like that I can think about this stuff.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
To the show's benefit, there's a lot less of them than I expected though. Kawaisou is one of my favs this season for sure, and dat art and dat cake.

Looks like I have something to check out when I get home if my cake brother approves of her.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I actually just finished up this show myself. Enjoyed it, though it does fall for that silly trope where they have to come up with dumb misunderstandings to create tension. But it was a nice show.

Stopped watching halfway myself. The constant misunderstandings were a major turnoff for me. Also, the male lead's hairstyle was absolutely atrocious. Yuck.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I bet half of you lot walk around with your trousers well below your pants line like unsophisticated folk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom