• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I guess people could return to Haikyuu!! once all the team is there and they play their first game. Otherwise to quit before it takes off is a bit saddening.

Part of the problem is that it's already 4 episodes in and they aren't even in the team yet.

Ping Pong goes through a single match per episode, sometimes multiples, and all of them progress the characters in some way.

Ping Pong 1: Peco vs Smile, Peco vs Wenge
Ping Pong 2: Smile vs Teacher
Ping Pong 3: Smile vs "I should go to the sea", Smile vs Wenge

Meanwhile, in Haikyuu, I don't even know what the stakes are yet. It might take half this season to establish what conflict will be driving the story, if not all of it.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Haikyuu just grossly violates the "3 episode rule" of anime watching. If the question of "why should I care about the plot/characters" isn't established by then, it's sure to have pacing issues, and no one really wants to waste time investing in a series that never promises to take off.

Theonik

ITS A TRAP
imQPfywGMLghr.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Part of the problem is that it's already 4 episodes in and they aren't even in the team yet.

Ping Pong goes through a single match per episode, sometimes multiples, and all of them progress the characters in some way.

Meanwhile, in Haikyuu, I don't even know what the stakes are yet. It might take half this season to establish what conflict will be driving the story, if not all of it.

Haikyuu just grossly violates the "3 episode rule" of anime watching. If the question of "why should I care about the plot/characters" isn't established by then, it'll sure to have pacing issues, and no one really wants to waste time investing in a series that never promises to take off.

They need to get together as a team and go to the koshien borreybarru championships. SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS.

The real problem is that even the underdog main character isn't an underdog because he has haxor Matrix powers. The only interesting thing about the character was montaged away in the first episode when they just show his middle school years compressed into 5 minutes, Chihayafuru-style.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Haikyuu just grossly violates the "3 episode rule" of anime watching. If the question of "why should I care about the plot/characters" isn't established by then, it's sure to have pacing issues, and no one really wants to waste time investing in a series that never promises to take off.

Switch over to Baby Steps.

Kurita

They need to get together as a team and go to the koshien borreybarru championships. SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS.

Well yeah, it's as simple as that. What more do you want in a sports series?

Go read a manga for adults like REAL if you want a different experience closer to what you'd enjoy. I'm sure it's right up your alley, it's a fantastic series.

fertygo

I wish Haikyuu was like Oofuri. Other than Hinata and Kageyama's dynamic, I don't think they really are right now.
How the cast look and interacting is similar, with how touchy the boys are.. almost quite feminine at time, its where the comparison come from. Its different to such like Eyeshield where almost half of team is punk and playing yankee gag quite often, with the interaction is quite rash and macho.

cajunator

Banned
Some Sailor Moon Art.

Its pretty good really. I cant complain about it.

Leggy, but needs to be updated with zettai ryouiki.

Dont mess with a good thing. The leggy look is classic!
ZR has its time and place and thats every other time and every other place.

She's the best part of Angel Beats.

237AD234532E307D2E15DB

Yui da best. Its simply true.

I bet half of you lot walk around with your trousers well below your pants line like unsophisticated folk.

I probably need suspenders but I use safety pins sometimes.

YOOOOOOOO that was my shit.

Kenzen Robo Daimidaler - 4

Only Daimidaler is willing to tackle such a challenging predicament as to whether penguin love can bloom on the battlefield, while giving insight into the hardships of working as a disguised hairdresser. They even managed to squeeze in some innuendos for good measure!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Belly Button Forte!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Crepe-serving belly button>>>Laying on a scannar showing your belly button

ITS A TRAP

Seriously stop now while you can it isn't worth it for you
only for our twisted enjoyment

I CAN'T STOP NOW. THAT'S WHAT YOU'D WANT, ISN'T IT? ISN'T IT?!
I'll level though, like I did when I watched the first episode a week or so back: As a denizen of the interwebs, I know the ending. It was spoiled to me internet eons ago, but I've never watched the show proper.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How the cast look and interacting is similar, with how touchy the boys are.. almost quite feminine at time, its where the comparison come from. Its different to such like Eyeshield where almost half of team is punk and playing yankee gag quite often, with the interaction is quite rash and macho.
Well, you need the self-insert big breasted female manager!

Well yeah, it's as simple as that. What more do you want in a sports series?

Go read an manga for adults like REAL if you want a different experience closer to what you'd enjoy.
It really seems that the only way Japan knows how to change up the formula is to add girls to the mix. It's why Ginga e Kickoff was more than just a boring soccer anime with a hacked out shounen bro.

Theonik

Belly Button Forte!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Crepe-serving belly button>>>Laying on a scannar showing your belly button
Heso Forte! Sounds like a sequel to Umetsu's Mezzo Forte though. And Umetsu is shit.
So some points docked for that. Also that was catch-up for last week in the first place.
Logical Logical
Not that I don't consider Akari best. She is pretty best.

I CAN'T STOP NOW. THAT'S WHAT YOU'D WANT, ISN'T IT? ISN'T IT?!
I'll level though, like I did when I watched the first episode a week or so back: As a denizen of the interwebs, I know the ending. It was spoiled to me internet eons ago, but I've never watched the show proper.
The first 2 episodes of School Days are pretty damn boring.

survivor

Banned
It really seems that the only way Japan knows how to change up the formula is to add girls to the mix. It's why Ginga e Kickoff was more than just a boring soccer anime with a hacked out shounen bro.

There are quite a few series that change the sports formula nicely and play around with it, it's just that they don't get made into anime :(

Man, this show is really goddamn weird. And pretty bad. But I can't drop it. This is going to be like Nobunaga the Fool were I wait way too long to drop.
Lollipop dude is so obviously a bad guy. The "Research and Development over human lives" kind of person.
CG still looking not great.

Kurita

Well, you need the self-insert big breasted female manager!

I don't really know how you can change the formula of a sports series tbh
I mean, what can you do aside from SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS? There are not a lot of alternatives.
The "high school kids chasing their dreams with cool super skills" formula seems to work for the majority of people who enjoy this kind of stuff so there's not much point in doing something different. Especially when the target is middle-school/high-school kids who can easily identify with the characters (super skills aside) and their objectives.

Maybe you're just "too old for this shit!" firehawk-kun!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are quite a few series that change the sports formula nicely and play around with it, it's just that they don't get made into anime :(
What are they?

Honestly, I don't even mind the cliches per se. It's just that the only literal difference between these shows is the absurdity of the premise (ghost brother hearts, super hacker basketball skills, tennis shots from orbit, etc) and the sport that they play. The characters are almost exactly the same, the arcs are almost exactly the same, the general motivations are almost exactly the same.

They're not human beings, they're sports playing robots with the same five character traits that Japanese sports mangaka have come together and decided that all Japanese sports manga must have.

fertygo

I don't really seeing how Ping Pong being that unorthodox anyway, for me its also simple sport manga with superior legendary author in handle.

Something like REAL or Boys on the Run is more fitting to what firehawk desire.

Narag

I don't really seeing how Ping Pong being that unorthodox anyway, for me its also simple sport manga with superior legendary author in handle.

Something like REAL or Boys on the Run is more fitting to what firehawk desire.

For me it's because the sport is driving the characterization, it's more interesting to see the how and why rather than the result of the sport event that's the ultimate goal. Experience is limited for me in this genre admittedly though!

What are they?

Honestly, I don't even mind the cliches per se. It's just that the only literal difference between these shows is the absurdity of the premise (ghost brother hearts, super hacker basketball skills, tennis shots from orbit, etc) and the sport that they play. The characters are almost exactly the same, the arcs are almost exactly the same, the general motivations are almost exactly the same.

One Outs
Giant Killing

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't really know how you can change the formula of a sports series tbh
I mean, what can you do aside from SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS? There are not a lot of alternatives.
The "high school kids chasing their dreams" formula seems to work for the majority of people who enjoy this kind of stuff so there's not much point in doing something different. Especially when the target is middle-school/high-school kids who can easily identify with the characters and their objectives.

Maybe you're just "too old for this shit!" firehawk-kun!
The problem is that Japan doesn't acknowledge class, race, or homophobia, so sexism is the only thing that they can use. Hence Ginga e Kickoff dealing with a girl who feels "bad" because she can't keep up with the boys and finding inspiration in Nadeshiko Japan.

I mean, imagine being a Brazilian Japanese returney. The kid comes from the biggest soccer nation in the world and wants to play soccer in Japan, but is treated like shit because he speaks Portugese or speaks Japanese with an accent. Being unable to communicate with other Japanese players, he does what he was born to do - play soccer. The Japanese kids realize that he's like them, just a boy who loves the sport, so they stop making fun of how he speaks and decide to let him join the team.

It's not rocket science.

One Outs
Giant Killing
I stopped following GK once the anime ended. :(

----

Look, here's a recent sports film that I quite enjoyed - it even won an Oscar:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undefeated_(2011_film)

The story it covers is cliche as fuck, but you root for these kids because they are compelling human beings (well, they are actually human beings since it is a documentary).

Japan anime/manga, at least, just doesn't seem to be interested in covering the more complicated aspects of society.

Heck, you could spin off the Silver Spoon story with the baseball kid and have him go through a "Hoop Dreams"-esque story about trying to overcome poverty through sport. That's a classic story that is immediately identifiable to millions of kids around the world - whether it's a kid in Harlem practicing his free throw, a kid living in a Rio favela kicking a ball around, a kid on a rice patty picking up a ping pong paddle.

Kurita

Kokou no Hito is a good example, too.

So basically, everything we're mentionning is targetting an older audience than Haikyuu and the countless sports shounen.

Hidamari Sketch × ☆☆☆ 01-06

Yeah this remains great and the best girl pics remain unchanged.
New girls are also a great addition to the cast.
I also must say that it seems like the production values took another small bump for this. While × 365 had more of an oomph.
Miya-chan sure is charming~
Hidamari remains super for the rest of its run, but I've already told you that! Let's all admire Nazuna's hair for it is the greatest.

cajunator

Banned
Brynhildr 4

This really makes it clear how much more TV anime could get away with back in the days of Elfen Lied. This censorship is getting damn intrusive.

I dont recall elfen Lied getting away with anything either censorship wise. censoring wasnt as ridiculous looking though.

Hidamari remains super for the rest of its run, but I've already told you that! Let's all admire Nazuna's hair for it is the greatest.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*clings to Nazuna

fertygo

The problem is that Japan doesn't acknowledge class, race, or homophobia, so sexism is the only thing that they can use. Hence Ginga e Kickoff dealing with a girl who feels "bad" because she can't keep up with the boys and finding inspiration in Nadeshiko Japan.

I mean, imagine being a Brazilian Japanese returney. The kid comes from the biggest soccer nation in the world and wants to play soccer in Japan, but is treated like shit because he speaks Portugese or speaks Japanese with an accent. Being unable to communicate with other Japanese players, he does what he was born to do - play soccer. The Japanese kids realize that he's like them, just a boy who loves the sport, so they stop making fun of how he speaks and decide to let him join the team.

It's not rocket science.
Pretty sure Captain Tsubasa have this shit, and no one sane will call it revolutionary.

Originality is overrated, someone will always make better pizza than others with same ingredient. Like Adachi Mitsuru making a living recycling his own manga.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty sure Captain Tsubasa have this shit, and no one sane will call it revolutionary.

Originality is overrated, someone will always make better pizza than others with same ingredient. Like Adachi Mitsuru making a living recycling his own manga.
Thing is, Adachi's recycled stories are still more interesting than the sports anime that I've seen since Cross Game ended.

Gundam 00 S1 - 2

Okay, so these guys are just gonna show up and blast everybody every time there's an armed conflict somewhere? Wow, Suzaku from Code Geass would at least give both sides a chance to surrender before wiping them out.

Seriously, all they need to do is announce "WE ARE CELESTIAL BEING. STOP THE CONFLICT NOW OR WE'LL RESPOND WITH FORCE."

It's like these guys are deliberately trying to antagonize themselves to stop wars by inducing fear. That's only going to get you more enemies than friends guys.

But even so, the action in the intervention scene was cool I guess. The Gundams in this show are pretty dang awesome looking.

Narag

Gundam 00 S1 - 2

Okay, so these guys are just gonna show up and blast everybody every time there's an armed conflict somewhere? Wow, Suzaku from Code Geass would at least give both sides a chance to surrender before wiping them out.

Seriously, all they need to do is announce "WE ARE CELESTIAL BEING. STOP THE CONFLICT NOW OR WE'LL RESPOND WITH FORCE."

It's like these guys are deliberately trying to antagonize themselves to stop wars by inducing fear. That's only going to get you more enemies than friends guys.

But even so, the action in the intervention scene was cool I guess. The Gundams in this show are pretty dang awesome looking.

It's a non-sustainable show of force meant to make people think twice about future engagements iirc. god, i remember when the good days before that show turned to shit :(

survivor

Banned
What are they?

They're not human beings, they're sports playing robots with the same five character traits that Japanese sports mangaka have come together and decided that all Japanese sports manga must have.

Read Zero from Taiyo Matsumoto. None of the regular sports arcs you are familiar with will be there. There is also 1/11 which has an interesting way of its telling its story but not sure if you might like it. There are stuff like REAL, Boys on the Run and Tetsugaku Letra. There is also RRR which sorta started out promising, but sorta fizzled out near the end.

Also you might like Sayonara Football, short shounen sport series but follows your idea of these type of stories being good if they have a girl.

It's a non-sustainable show of force meant to make people think twice about future engagements iirc. god, i remember when the good days before that show turned to shit :(

But if Celestial Being's goal is to bring peace to the world, you'd think they'd try to resolve the conflict peacefully BEFORE wiping everybody out.

Suzaku would hate the hell out of these guys.

Narag

But if Celestial Being's goal is to bring peace to the world, you'd think they'd try to resolve the conflict peacefully BEFORE wiping everybody out.

All these nations are heavily militarized. A show of force before extending the olive branch helps to deter them from testing their boundaries!

fertygo

Thing is, Adachi's recycled stories are still more interesting than the sports anime that I've seen since Cross Game ended.

Then the story not following with what you seeking that troubling you, not the lack of invention.
Gundam 00 S1 - 2

But you're not wrong.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Read Zero from Taiyo Matsumoto. None of the regular sports arcs you are familiar with will be there. There is also 1/11 which has an interesting way of its telling its story but not sure if you might like it. There are stuff like REAL, Boys on the Run and Tetsugaku Letra. There is also RRR which sorta started out promising, but sorta fizzled out near the end.

Also you might like Sayonara Football, short shounen sport series but follows your idea of these type of stories being good if they have a girl.
Go read a manga for adults like REAL if you want a different experience closer to what you'd enjoy. I'm sure it's right up your alley, it's a fantastic series.
Oh yeah, I forgot about wheelchair basketball manga. I always meant to read it but... manga and all that. Maybe I'll get to it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom