• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Shuffle! 04-06

Cooking, underwear and Kaede - still in that initial batch of getting to know the girls, but that's the sort of thing that can be appreciated. Rain was also a plot point during two of the episodes. Now that I've got a better idea of the girls, Sia's still making a pretty strong impression, but I like everyone. For two worlds that you think should be in opposition, Sia and Nerine's dads are pretty chummy, and also unconcerned with things like destruction of school property.

Music and voice acting are always important, but I like it when a show is able to use silence effectively too. That montage of Primula at home in episode 6 was nicely done, and also confirmed that there's not that much on Japanese TV in the middle of the day. Maybe that shogun show would've been interesting - though Sia's already shown that people from the neighboring worlds don't know that much about the history of ours. Or about plenty of other things.

Jintor

Soul Eater NOT 3

Bones why? That action scene was so good all it does is make me thirsty for a full adaptation of Soul Eater. You're way too good for this go nowhere moe crap.

The rest of the episode was just a whole lot of nothing happening, the show is most interesting when it's not focusing on our three female love triangle.

From what I've read so far of the manga, the whole structure of this show is weird. It's like the author wanted to do another Soul Eater, but just wanted to fill the bits in between plot with the moe fluff.

Nafe

Banner of the Stars III (Seikai no Senki III)

ji5Q60oL9ipuh.jpg

It was nice to see some familiar faces get some more screen time.

It's over. :(
There was conversation about shows people would like to see such as a Spice and Wolf III and, I think, Mr. Jeff commented how he would like more Banner but on the other hand wouldn't because of the use of CG and such.

Releasing in 2005 and Banner III already had a lot of CG on its ships. Some of it looked almost as good as modern stuff anyway,haha. Probably not a good sign I guess. It looked more like a more modern work though in the use of the colouring on the characters and you can just see the changing of the character art going back and looking at Crest to now.

Personally, despite its shorter length, I still really like Banner III. Ekuryua seems much more...playful this series,haha. As mentioned above it was nice to see some characters such as Atosryac pictured above. I also recognized the girl,Seelnay, who worked under her brother from Crest. The guy Samson was talking to I couldn't remember though if he was in the show previously.

It turns out that I was watching the directors cut which is about 74 or 75 minutes long, with the original apparently being just under an hour. I had actually seen the brawl mentioned and apparently more scenes with Empress Ramaj are also part of the director's cut.

I'd have to agree though in that before watching this I had seen comments that it was a good stopping point. It comes back full circle to some plot points that happen in Crest. It was nice to see
Jinto meet up with Dorin Ku again. You get to see Teal and while he seems to still care for Jinto there's still those mixed feelings with what his father did and the result of their treaty. It's too bad then that Jinto never does get to set foot on his home planet again.

It's one of those stories then that wraps up a lot of the plot points in introduced but still keeps some things open to make a more natural world in that these characters lives go on and its not just "the end". It does feel somewhat final though in terms of wrapping up any adaptations with how it gives a brief little description of what happens to some of the characters after the events of the OVA. Even mentioning the cat, Diaho, and that he spends his days lounging around and his kittens are being taken care of, complete with "his wife has been acting cold to him lately", was pretty funny how they added that in there,haha.

Personally Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars became a favorite anime series of mine and I enjoyed my visit in the Stars universe and meeting the characters within. :)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gintama 140-147 Yoshiwara Shangrila Arc

Probably my favorite arc of the show so far. The Yato culture and fight scenes were pretty fun to watch. I love how the show can just switch between super serious shonen mode to lewd jokes and comedy so quickly.

M3 Episode 2

A much more solid second episode after the really lackluster first episode. I'm starting to like, even if he's just a 'negative always serious' protagonist. Mainly because, unlike SamFlam, he doesn't take the shit from the annoying female and tells her to fuck off. What a man. I would follow him to hell and back I would.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 8

Omg. I can't believe they wrapped up this plotline this way. Amazing.
Always nice to see more folks enjoying this show, I loved it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gravity (A.K.A. firehawk12's AotY 2013)

firehawk says it's anime, so it counts! Haha.
No, since firehawk is such a big fan of this movie, I just wanted to say I got around to watching it. I saw a commercial for it and only really knew the premise was "something bad happens in space" basically. Being in space though I figured they could have some nice shots.

The cinematography and sound design was really good. That shot where the camera slowly zooms in on her face to go to first person P.O.V. and back for example was indeed nice. Some shots like when they're using the tether would have felt more natural for the use of 3D but other shots, such as right at the beginning where she loses hold of the screw, really felt like they were just saying "Hey, it's in 3D!".

You have to suspend your disbelief for some moments but its still got good themes and ideas to it. Some of the symbolism, such as
where she gets in the airlock and goes into a fetal position with the cables
felt a bit too try hard maybe. Just the way the shot lingers anyway. I found myself thinking "Okay, I get it."

Anyway, I thought it was a good movie and liked it. I don't like it enough to watch it every weekend for the next two months or so like firehawk though,haha. I'd like to watch it again sometime and see how I feel on a re-watch knowing what's going to happen and things like that.
Late reply to Nafe!

You have to embrace the power of the filmmaking and watch it in a giant screen in order to appreciate it 12 times. lol

I think for me the film is as close as I'll ever really get to appreciating "sakuga", since it does what animation *could* do, but in a manner that I can just grock much easier since we're still talking about camera and physical space. Even if every single shot that the camera made was preprogrammed and they shot the movie against a green screen.

That said, watching it at home is just not the same. I just don't find it as immersive as it was in theatres. I really wish it was something I could see in theaters again.

Articalys

Akuma no Riddle: so I vaguely had my eye on this show before the season started but kind of set it aside to prioritize others in the first few weeks. Now that it has a handful of episodes under its belt, I'd like to get several opinions from those who are watching it on if it's okay, bad, or just maddeningly average.

Well, this was probably a bad time to ask. Guess I'll try again later.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Akuma no Riddle: so I vaguely had my eye on this show before the season started but kind of set it aside to prioritize others in the first few weeks. Now that it has a handful of episodes under its belt, I'd like to get several opinions from those who are watching it on if it's okay, bad, or just maddeningly average.
Danganronpa x 12 Little Indians x Lesbians. That the first episode ends by telling you to buy the manga kind of says it all, really.

Midonin

Not my favorite show of the season, but the combining of yuri and assassins certainly makes for something unique. I'd put it as slightly above average.

Quasar

One Week Friends 4 - That was a pretty scary episode. I half expected the diary to be destroyed by rain or something. Someone really needs to make a backup copy.

What the actual hell? From what I've seen it just says who their waifu is and nothing else! At least allow them to post why they chose that girl as their waifu so they can say how beautiful she is and how she's the best at everything and no girl in real life could possibly...

Actually you know what? No. Forget I said anything.

Gundam 00 S1 - 5

My enjoyment of this show went up a lot with this episode. Good to see these guys showing how awesome they can be when they're actually helping people as opposed to taking out armies.

Hmm, a young couple that's SO innocent and they act nice and cute together! Certain expectations I have had for this show have now been set.

Quasar

What the actual hell? From what I've seen it just says who their waifu is and nothing else! At least allow them to post why they chose that girl as their waifu so they can say how beautiful she is and how she's the best at everything and no girl in real life could possibly...

Actually you know what? No. Forget I said anything.

Well there is a text field below.

Good to see they have finally modernised the profile page a bit.

Syrinx

Happiness Charge Precure 13

You shouldn't go into a mirror that could take you anywhere in the world without knowing where you're going, Megumi. You could end up in Detroit.

Infodump episode where Fortune shows up for the first time in a while. We learn that she got her Precure powers from her sister, Cure Tender. Who's dead. Probably. Either that or she's Mirage. Who Blue was once in love with or something. Also we meet Phantom, the so-called Precure Hunter. The guy is legit and nothin' to fuck with like all those other guys. He's not fucking around. Lovely and Fortune teaming up still couldn't get him. We'll see him again at some point.

So Fortune is fighting for her (probably) dead sister, she hates Hime and remains distrustful of Megumi. And Blue knows who her sister was and recoils. So this girl has probably put up with a lot of crap. Hime is the piece where I don't quite see where she fits in when it comes to her.

Jintor

It still irritates me how the Hummingbird android app is way better functionality wise than the PC version just cos all the titles you're watching show up in the mainpage in these nice little squares

Happiness Charge Precure 13

You shouldn't go into a mirror that could take you anywhere in the world without knowing where you're going, Megumi. You could end up in Detroit.

Infodump episode where Fortune shows up for the first time in a while. We learn that she got her Precure powers from her sister, Cure Tender. Who's dead. Probably. Either that or she's Mirage. Who Blue was once in love with or something. Also we meet Phantom, the so-called Precure Hunter. The guy is legit and nothin' to fuck with like all those other guys. He's not fucking around. Lovely and Fortune teaming up still couldn't get him. We'll see him again at some point.

So Fortune is fighting for her (probably) dead sister, she hates Hime and remains distrustful of Megumi. And Blue knows who her sister was and recoils. So this girl has probably put up with a lot of crap. Hime is the piece where I don't quite see where she fits in when it comes to her.

This feels like it's telling me that Honey hasn't pissed off Fortune.

*Still a boss*

I found that it has significant problems lurking beneath the surface that undermine the enjoyment of the anime. It suggested that there were severe issues at the conceptual level that were ignored in the execution of the first episode. Sadly it left me with the impression that it just cant improve. With limited, and essentially no ability to even relate to the characters due to the problematic writing and character design, or even get into the spirit of the anime through its dull musical selections, and just uninteresting character interactions it is certainly one of the worst shows of the season.

Syrinx

This feels like it's telling me that Honey hasn't pissed off Fortune.

*Still a boss*

She just hasn't been that involved with Fortune yet iirc, though I think Fortune saw her from a distance? But yeah, she probably doesn't trust her simply because of her connection to Princess.

Black Hat

My feelings on the Spring season so far (new shows only not continuing)

Great:
Black Bullet
No Game No Life
Nanana's Buried Treasure
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?

Good:
Mekakucity Actors
Hitsugi no Chaika
Gokukoku no Brynhildr

Average:
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Soul Eater NOT!

Poor:
Seikoku no Dragonar

Dropped:
Akuma no Riddle

Futari wa Pretty Cure RE: Splash Star 10

So resuming this, because yes. Quite frankly, we see more parents. Kenta's parents to be exact, in where I remember that Kenta inherited the worst aspect of Splash Star from his father. I mean, the dude's dependable, and Kenta is no slouch, but this was definitely something I'm not fond of when it comes to Splash Star especially.

Manzai. It just... doesn't work for me here.

That being said, it sort of establishes both the fact that Kenta likes Saki, and that Yuuko likes Kenta, although it wasn't outright stated, both the power of hindsight, and subtle blushing cues show what's up with the characters.

But yeah, so far, not exactly my favorite episode here.

Link Man

Banned
Anohana 4

Yukiatsu is a dick.

Armpit fetish? Is this seriously a thing in Japan? This is the 3rd anime I've encountered that mentions it.

8O

WHAT THE HELL?!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Not gonna lie it started off a little rough, but when the ball finally got rolling it became rather enjoyable to watch.

Baby Steps seems underrated, I mean so far it's progressively getting better. With the MC not having amazing abilities in the beginning for tennis but instead he's developing at a slow pace. Thank god I watched it because it's been really enjoyable for me so far. And that people should try it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

I know the answer but your passive aggressive attitude is super annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom