• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soul Eater NOT 3

Bones why? That action scene was so good all it does is make me thirsty for a full adaptation of Soul Eater. You're way too good for this go nowhere moe crap.

The rest of the episode was just a whole lot of nothing happening, the show is most interesting when it's not focusing on our three female love triangle.

Branduil

Hey if you believe something vague like that, I have a palace on Mars I want to sell you. :)

Depends on the show ultimately. And even with good schedules, it's rare that an entire show will be completed before it airs. The first few episodes of most BONES show probably don't require any noticeable corrections at all for home video release. The later episodes could run into issues anyway when things start to catch up on them. Eureka 7 is a good example where even with a solid schedule, they blew it with episode 26 which took months to complete. Since it was a 50 episode series, the quality started to suffer. The final few episodes of the show got a ton of corrections on DVD. They completely redrew several scenes in the final episode.

Looking at this year's slate... Noragami and Space Dandy seem to be shows which were completed before they went on air. Chaika and Captain Earth have been in production since last year, so they're probably pretty far along too. Soul Eater Not looks pretty unpolished for a BONES series, since they put the Noragami team on it right after they wrapped up that series.

Do you think BONES would do Eureka 7 as a split-cour show if they were making it today?

duckroll

Do you think BONES would do Eureka 7 as a split-cour show if they were making it today?

I don't think that's up to BONES really. It's not worth playing the what if scenario in this instance because the only reason E7 was greenlit in the first place was because Bandai and various partners thought they could create a brand new kids to teens franchise spanning games, toys, anime, etc. It aired at 7am in the morning too. So those factors indicate that how it aired was linked to the funding and the nature of the show.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Heso Forte! Sounds like a sequel to Umetsu's Mezzo Forte though. And Umetsu is shit.
So some points docked for that. Also that was catch-up for last week in the first place.
Logical Logical
Not that I don't consider Akari best. She is pretty best.

The first 2 episodes of School Days are pretty damn boring.

Yeah, she pretty best so far.

Oh so it's gonna pick up? *rubs hands*

If you show off your belly button all the time, it won't become magical.

That feel when you'll never become a hacker mahou shoujo even with a covered belly button:

1337399759794.png

Now Yamato seems reasonable!

Branduil

I don't think that's up to BONES really. It's not worth playing the what if scenario in this instance because the only reason E7 was greenlit in the first place was because Bandai and various partners thought they could create a brand new kids to teens franchise spanning games, toys, anime, etc. It aired at 7am in the morning too. So those factors indicate that how it aired was linked to the funding and the nature of the show.

That makes sense, it seems unlikely someone would greenlight that today given how well BONES has managed franchises, LOL.

Jarmel

Banned
I can't imagine BONES trying to do E7 for the first time now. Mostly because I don't know if Kyoda doing the original was a fluke or not.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think very few studios are able to produce 50 episode original anime content in one go anymore. That ship sailed around 2007-2008. I think the split cour system theoretically could help with production schedule, but I find that most of the time it is a detriment to the storytelling (ex: almost any split cour show in the past 6 years)

E7 especially would be pretty much impossible to make today as it was made in 05, in terms of content, etc.

duckroll

Even Yamato with its weird schedule wasn't finished in time! And it was basically 1-2 episodes a month for a while, until the TV airings anyway.

Funniest part about it is how AIC was announced as a co-production partner, and then dropped out after ep10. Either they got fired, or they couldn't afford the resources for whatever reason, since the entire studio is collapsing on itself. I think they might be dead today, considering how the Persona 3 movies have moved on from AIC ASTA to A-1 Pictures completely now. Lol.

Dead

well not really...yet
Funniest part about it is how AIC was announced as a co-production partner, and then dropped out after ep10. Either they got fired, or they couldn't afford the resources for whatever reason, since the entire studio is collapsing on itself. I think they might be dead today, considering how the Persona 3 movies have moved on from AIC ASTA to A-1 Pictures completely now. Lol.
isnt that what happened to Hellsing ultimate lol

fertygo

What? really? lol

Jarmel

Banned
I think the split cour system theoretically could help with production schedule, but I find that most of the time it is a detriment to the storytelling (ex: almost any split cour show in the past 6 years)

Honestly the only successful one I can think of is Fate/Zero.

duckroll

isnt that what happened to Hellsing ultimate lol

No. Hellsing Ultimate was much, much worse. It went through 3 different production studios (Satelight -> Madhouse -> Graphinica+Kelmadick) each with different directors and supporting staff. The only staff which stayed on throughout the entire production were the designers, composer, and some animators. It was fucking crazy. Even with all the studio changes and stuff, most of the series was almost completely outsourced to South Korea for animation, with the animation director(s) doing a shitload of corrections.

:anime

No blu ray set should cost that much , unless it comes with multiples figs

Move over Saki Cinematic Universe, there's a new PA Works Cinematic Universe in town:
8FnxWDSl.jpg

CbxSU61l.jpg
I see a bunch of maidens... I ...like it.
Narag has something going with r_thanatos, damned if I know what though.

Might have to update this classic at some point:

Proof that animegaf has enough delusions to make anything a reality .
Kato_marika.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't think there's anything wrong with Space Dandy's split cour, but that's an extremely episodic show to begin with.
Yeah, that should be okay due to the content, but other stuff has mostly resulted in terrible story telling. Way too much room to allow audience reaction to play a part in altering the story in order to pander to their preferences.

Jarmel

Banned
No. Hellsing Ultimate was much, much worse. It went through 3 different production studios (Satelight -> Madhouse -> Graphinica+Kelmadick) each with different directors and supporting staff. The only staff which stayed on throughout the entire production were the designers, composer, and some animators. It was fucking crazy. Even with all the studio changes and stuff, most of the series was almost completely outsourced to South Korea for animation, with the animation director(s) doing a shitload of corrections.

and it shows

I haven't seen 9 and 10, but 1-8 of Ultimate were pretty awesome and consistent where if you hadn't told me it had production issues I would have never known

Also isn't Phi Brain anime original? It's been pretty enjoyable and just finished up it's 3rd season of 25 episodes.

Edit2: Also the new YGO anime isn't an adaptation of anything and will probably run for awhile

Dead

well not really...yet

:kissdum

M3: That Dark Metal Episode 2: Embrace the Reaper
BmWJM8aCUAEmDkT.png

Heito with the darkest past yet with the second best voice was a bit shocking. Enjoyed his scenes and personality for the bunch.
I imagine being saved by Akashi will help to integrate him into the group now and that he wont be a loner anymore
. Hadnt realized beforehand tha Minashi had my favorite VA as of late so every moment with him on screen was pleasant. Its hard not to feel happy seeing him just living life to the fullest, kidding around, or lounging, and teasing everywhere. Wonder what assistance he'll give in battle or if he'll remain the one they lean on to be comforted.

Blusby

Fate/Stay Night's site is apparently gonna have another update on May 3rd as Ufotable mentioned for English speakers that a clean PV will be shown, also the Rin/Archer bio will probably be up as well.
Also kinda unrelated but still hilarious (This is from a theatrical film's BD release mind you):

duckroll

I haven't seen 9 and 10, but 1-8 of Ultimate were pretty awesome and consistent where if you hadn't told me it had production issues I would have never known

8 was a fucking mess. I bought all the Japanese DVDs (and later the BDs as they started coming out) for 1-8. But after watching 8 and finishing the manga, I stopped buying the series. Haven't seen them either, because really, who cares. Totally went down the toilet in a single volume. Awful direction, awful scene composition, some of the worst editing I've seen in an hour long OVA. It was totally phoned in and patched together like they made five mini-episodes separately and then connected them into one volume later. Actually, 5 was kinda similar too, where it felt like a really lackluster bridging entry where nothing really happened and the direction took a huge dive.

Jarmel

Banned
Fate/Stay Night's site is apparently gonna have another update on May 3rd as Ufotable mentioned for English speakers that a clean PV will be shown, also the Rin/Archer bio will probably be up as well.
Also kinda unrelated but still hilarious (This is from a film's BD release mind you):

For English speakers? Why? Aniplex USA getting ready for the raid?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Gundam Build Fighters should've been 50 episodes. It was too good to end so soon.
The only way it should have been 50 episodes is if the original 25 were left pretty much alone maybe only expanding by an episode or two, and then fill the rest of the space with material with the same pacing.

8 was a fucking mess. I bought all the Japanese DVDs (and later the BDs as they started coming out) for 1-8. But after watching 8 and finishing the manga, I stopped buying the series. Haven't seen them either, because really, who cares. Totally went down the toilet in a single volume. Awful direction, awful scene composition, some of the worst editing I've seen in an hour long OVA. It was totally phoned in and patched together like they made five mini-episodes separately and then connected them into one volume later. Actually, 5 was kinda similar too, where it felt like a really lackluster bridging entry where nothing really happened and the direction took a huge dive.

I haven't read the manga but I don't remember 8 being that much of a mess, at least the story made sense for it to look really messed up at times due to Alucard's powers being unleashed. Didn't hurt that Crispin Freeman's sweet voice was licking my ear the whole time

duckroll

For English speakers? Why? Aniplex USA getting ready for the raid?

No it's a just tweet directed towards English speakers, because they know that there are English speaking fans who are interested in the show. The actual screening of the sneak peek into F/SN's production along with the refined PV is at the Ufotable Cinema as part of this week's Machi Asobi festival. It's the same anime festival thing Ufotable organizes several times a year in Tokushima.

Jarmel

Banned
No it's a just tweet directed towards English speakers, because they know that there are English speaking fans who are interested in the show. The actual screening of the sneak peek into F/SN's production along with the refined PV is at the Ufotable Cinema as part of this week's Machi Asobi festival. It's the same anime festival thing Ufotable organizes several times a year in Tokushima.
Ah okay, thanks. No PV upload online though?

duckroll

I haven't read the manga but I don't remember 8 being that much of a mess, at least the story made sense for it to look really messed up at times due to Alucard's powers being unleashed. Didn't hurt that Crispin Freeman's sweet voice was licking my ear the whole time

Well, if you ever watch it again, watch for how the scenes flow and how transitions are edited. It's super distracting. There are multiple moments where there are lazy ass blank transitions with a black screen instead of scenes actually flowing. It's like watching something which was designed to go on an ad break every 5-10 minutes, except without those breaks happening. The rhythm was also really bad for what was supposed to be a "shit getting real" episode. It would build momentum in one scene, and then it would just transit and dissipate as they insert some other scene which feels totally different. It simply doesn't flow, makes everything feel weighted down badly, and kept annoying me throughout the episode.

Ah okay, thanks. No PV upload online though?

Dunno. I think we're at the mercy of Aniplex for that. Hopefully they feel the new PV is up to their standards to put online.... lol. :(

I still haven't gotten a proper HD PV2. Give me that first Ufotable plx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom