• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
It's a bit early to tell, but we're already getting shows that attempt to ride off the success of using the theme of 'tragic magical girls' like Selector Infected WIXROSS or Day Break Illusion. I don't think we would have seen these particular shows pop up if Madoka hadn't ended up performing as well as it did.

Very true. I call it the Eva of Mahou shoujo for reasons stated above but nothing will be the "Madoka Magica" or something else because it hasnt made that kind of impact. Eva is itself the bar that had to be raised and comparative to everything else. Madoka Magica is just something that can be compared in ways to Eva so it can never transcend its importance (whether people like Eva or not)

Andrew J.

Non Non Biyori 03

Natsumi is my least favorite character. She's just another dime-a-dozen dumb, carefree slacker. I get enough of that character archetype from battle shounen protagonists.

Well I dont think there will ever be another show that made an impact on a whole industry like Eva, hence when I say the Eva of Mahou Shoujo in this case Im more referring to how it transcended the normal boundaries of a mahou shoujo audience and also how the story was extended into a movie that went a highly controversial direction.
Well on that perspective , you might be right ...and if i follow this train of thought i won't watch the rest of the madoka movies :p

It's a bit early to tell, but we're already getting shows that attempt to ride off the success of using the theme of 'tragic magical girls' like Selector Infected WIXROSS or Day Break Illusion. I don't think we would have seen these particular shows pop up if Madoka hadn't ended up performing as well as it did.

You're reminding me that i need to check those

And in the end, isn't that all any of us really want?

True.but the initial question was ( without fanservice ).
If you care about fanservice qwaser is clearly enjoyable on many levels.

Wait, are we talking about Ben-to?

k0P1VFy.gif

ZE WEEZAHD-O!

Fine, I'll give it one more episode. But I won't promise any more.

That's fine. It's just my own rule but it's served me well.

I was being just general about how everyone seemed to have been dropping shows recently. Honestly I forget where SNAFU picked up but hopefully it's the next episode. For your sake.

Madoka Magica Rebellion.

Ok I seriously loved this movie but I can see why it would piss people off.
The reason that
Homura turned evil
was basically, from what I gathered anyway, because
Madoka had become a "law of the universe" and the ultimate good. Homura realized that the only way to preserve her memories of Madoka forever and to truly make her hers (a very selfish love of course) was to break that law and thus become the polar opposite of Madoka, necessitating becoming ultimate evil.
I found the opening to be quite an interesting setup
taking place entirely in Homuras mind as a witch under control of Kyubey's species in a bizarre experiment of sorts
The cake song was ADORABLE. Like I had to listen to it three times watching the movie and then I found it on youtube and watched it a good dozen other times. Definitely my favorite part. Also the transformations of the girls were very creative and fitting for a movie.
Some things I did have issue with are
Bebe as Mami's pet
that was pretty fucked up. Although it did give the movie one more cutie to squee at.
Surprisingly though she had very little relevance to anything
which was disappointing.
Overall I think the movie had some weird pacing and just literally ended on a specific idea. I was left wanting to see more. I feel like I understand where the movie was trying to go though so ultimately it was an enjoyable experience. But yeah, its going to provoke a LOT of fans. In that way I guess Madoka Magica really is the Eva of magical girl shows.
One thing this movie is though, is beautiful. Shaft pulled all the weird mindfucks out of their hat with this one.

One final thing. Im not very good at spotting symbolism in cinematography and all that jazz, but
was there a prison motif going on there? So many vertical architectures like prison bars or a jail cell. I mean they were trapped in Homuras world against their will and deceived.

Well, looks like another one likes it. Not that I'm going to hold it against you or anything.

I can understand why many people like Madoka, and in context it is a pretty good movie in terms of animation, soundtrack, and overall presentation of the story. I just hate it for the reason it exists and what it does to the franchise.

What happened in that movie did not need to happen at all. It was totally uncalled for, and it
practically throws everything we learned in the original series out the window.
And all for the purpose of creating a base for more sequels.

Not really your own rule when it's pretty well known and practiced.

It's something I have practiced in my anime viewing for quite a few years now. I've never heard of anyone else doing the same when I started to do it. It may not be unique but it's not like I knowingly stole it from someone or something. It's just something I started doing because I would drop a lot of things pre-2005 after the first episode. I started to realize that I wasn't giving things a fair shake and I figured three was the magic amount. Not too much, not too little. Gave the story time to introduce concepts and character dynamics that are usually introduced in the first two episodes so they are usually slower and most of the time boring.

So yeah I consider, to myself, that this is my own rule I have imposed on myself. You may not think so. That's fine. But this is something I put into practice of my own accord and thought without the help of anyone else.

Andrew J.

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso

Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell

Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf Children
Akira

Wings of Honneamise
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
FLCL

Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Urusei Yatsura (Episodes 1 - 106) + Beautiful Dreamer
Maison Ikkoku
Legend of the Galactic Heroes*
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Ghost in Shell Stand Alone Complex (Both Seasons)

Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Sailor Moon
Kaiji
Baccano!
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil

Gintama
Honey and Clover + Season II
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

Not too bad, I think. I saw Tokyo Godfathers is on Netflix, so I'll check that out soon.

It's something I have practiced in my anime viewing for quite a few years now. I've never heard of anyone else doing the same when I started to do it. It may not be unique but it's not like I knowingly stole it from someone or something. It's just something I started doing because I would drop a lot of things pre-2005 after the first episode. I started to realize that I wasn't giving things a fair shake and I figured three was the magic amount. Not too much, not too little. Gave the story time to introduce concepts and character dynamics that are usually introduced in the first two episodes so they are usually slower and most of the time boring.

So yeah I consider, to myself, that this is my own rule I have imposed on myself. You may not think so. That's fine. But this is something I put into practice of my own accord and thought without the help of anyone else.

That's fine. I mentioned it because the way you worded it gave off the impression to the person you were quoting that it's a rule you came up with and that it's unheard of, which I pointed out that it's a common practice. Even if you did come up with it by yourself. For the same reason I wouldn't go saying "I came up with an idea that anything that can go wrong in the worst moment will go wrong" when it's already a 'law', even if I hadn't heard of it. Also similar to an extent would be things such as patents.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Unfortunately, you were long beaten in terms of being first to file for a patent, the dread of inventors everywhere.

Seriously though, it's been around in varying popularity here for years now.

That's fine. I mentioned it because the way you worded it gave off the impression to the person you were quoting that it's a rule you came up with and that it's unheard of, which I pointed out that it's a common practice. Even if you did come up with it by yourself. For the same reason I wouldn't go saying "I came up with an idea that anything that can go wrong in the worst moment will go wrong" when it's already a 'law', even if I hadn't heard of it. Also similar to an extent would be things such as patents.

Never insinuated that. With how freely people drop shows here I didn't realize it was as prevalent on here as you say.

I don't expect my methods to be unique in any way as most things have been thought of before we usually have the idea. I was just implying that it was my own rules on a rule set that I have for TV watching. I have a similar rule for video games to that I've implied that I am sure isn't new: if I am not enjoying myself or having fun within 5 hours of playtime then I drop the game.

I value my time but I also respect artists and storytellers enough to give them the benefit of doubt. Which is why I do these middle ground solutions.

cnet128

Banned
Love Live! S2 1

Holy shit at that double whammy of
suddenly Honoka is seitokaichou
and
suddenly the show is a musical out of nowhere
right at the beginning of the episode XD Way to start the new series with a bang.

Aside from those remarkable developments, though, it feels like this picked up exactly where the previous series left off. Great to see that
it looks like the girls will actually have a chance to enter the Love Live contest this time around
. I have to admit it had occurred to me during the previous series that
since there are third-years in the group, μ's might not actually get another chance at the contest again before they graduate, so it's nice to see the show directly address that and explicitly give them a final opportunity

Unfortunately, you were long beaten in terms of being first to file for a patent, the dread of inventors everywhere.

Seriously though, it's been around in varying popularity here for years now.

Oh I am positive that I was. But I came to it of my own accord.

Listen I am not taking credit about how others watch anime. If someone did it before me that's fine. But I am going use the term "my TES rule" because it is mine. It just so happens that it isn't unique. Which I think is great to be perfectly honest because that means some are giving things a try when they would've otherwise dropped something.

I didn't realize we had people working on Mahouka posting here. Welcome.

Your favorite anime is shit and my favorite anime is shit, what do you know we both have different opinions. Talking aside you may think Mahouka's bad, but for me I think it's good, I guess your taste is slightly different from mine. Yours truly "Anime's Shit".

Posting my daily "Everyone should watch Clannad and Clannad After Story" post.

I feel better.

Edit: Still keeping tabs on you Braduil and Corvo.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Your favorite anime is shit and my favorite anime is shit, what do you know we both have different opinions. Talking aside you may think Mahouka's bad, but for me I think it's good, I guess your taste is slightly different from mine. Yours truly "Anime's Shit".
You say this while taking it all very personally.

Dresden

Stop catching feels over this shit. People hating on the things you like doesn't equal them hating on you.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
We need new yuri pairs; mine left animegaf for an actual woman (◞‸◟;)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We need new yuri pairs; mine left animegaf for an actual woman (◞‸◟;)
I thought the list consisted of yaoi pairing since it was drawn up by DTL. Actually I believe SDBurton did make a list, but it wasn't a yuri pairing but rather who is who in the Dynasty Warriors universe.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I thought the list consisted of yaoi pairing since it was drawn up by DTL. Actually I believe SDBurton did make a list, but it wasn't a yuri pairing but rather who is who in the Dynasty Warriors universe.
No, there was a yaoi pairing list and a yuri pairing list.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Is this foreshadowing a new pair list?

Maybe. My issue with this is that there's so many of us now, some of which are shippable with more than one person. If I did do it again I would list each person as a specific type and write a short blurb/scenario of the two. I felt that my last list would've been better if I had a smaller pool to work with, cause at the end I was just basically pairing randomly to make sure people were included.

A thought that did cross my mind was having people pm me of who they wanted to be paired with, that way I could evaluate their chemistry and decide whether that pair would work out. Though in a sense could be considered cheating and taking the fun out of the surprise element of it all. :lol

Thinking back on it now, I think I made kayos90 a two timer. XD

Theonik

No, there was a yaoi pairing list and a yuri pairing list.
And a yaoi fanfic.. And a yuri version of said fanfic.

Maybe. My issue with this is that there's so many of us now, some of which are shippable with more than one person. If I did do it again I would list each person as a specific type and write a short blurb/scenario of the two. I felt that my last list would've been better if I had a smaller pool to work with, cause at the end I was just basically pairing randomly to make sure people were included.

A thought that did cross my mind was having people pm me of who they wanted to be paired with, that way I could evaluate their chemistry and decide whether that pair would work out. Though in a sense could be considered cheating and taking the fun out of the surprise element of it all. :lol
Just do pairs. Then you can make up drama with the rest! Or have jealous classmates etc. Osanajimi etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom