• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
I'll watch anything with that tagline.
Unlike MD Geist, Genocyber is actually kinda good. Good at what it tries to achieve, at least. Genocyber wants to be as disturbing, bleak and nihilistic as possible, and does a pretty good job at that. Though at the end of the day, MD Geist is far more enjoyable to me.

sonicmj1

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

iHurkGFzsvT3D.jpg

War has changed.

Kind of a weird first episode.

The opening action sequence is solid, leading us into a Zeon commando assault on an arctic base. There's some great destruction, and the designs on the main suits are pretty cool. I like how it opens, with them booting up their suits and getting ready to launch. You can see that they all have their own vices that keep them steady on the battlefield. And I like how it lingers just long enough on the aftermath to give you pause.

iRM0ujv1uKOt5.jpg

He knew a good bar...

Then we're off to a space colony following the little boy adventures of fifth-grader Al. He's got lots of little-kid problems, and that introduction is all well and good until the war between Federation and Zeon hits home, with mobile suits suddenly duking it out in the streets.

ibxborTya3qSyx.jpg

How many typos can you spot in this picture?

There's something thrilling about seeing a giant robot fight from the ground, and they build a lot of cute gags in of people trying to avoid the chaos. But (at least at the moment) there was a kind of jarring dissonance about how the whole thing was presented. Given that they had thought the war had nothing to do with them earlier in the episode, Al and his friends seem remarkably unperturbed by seeing parts of their home blow up.

iETAeoINtpfNl.jpg

"Yeah, our school has turned into a war zone, but that's no reason to miss out on the joy of learning!"

I suspect Al's present blindness to the consequences of the fighting is part of his development, but it's still kind of odd how the framing and music, cleanly from his perspective, match up with a few of the things that show up on screen.

I hope it all gets handled well in the end. Kids and robot anime are a notoriously toxic combination.

Vito

Banned
Gonna be watching S2 just for her VA & character design (source)

There's also a garupan text heavy spread again and a quality lewd mahouka one (that's uh sarcasm), more spreads if you check the poster in the source.

Theonik

The opening action sequence is solid, leading us into a Zeon commando assault on an arctic base
Mitsuo Iso did some of the cuts for this.

I honestly think in the case of this show youre exaggerating reactions. Elfen Lied was not that terrible. It wasnt great but youre reacting like one of the List shows and its not that good (or bad)
That's a fair point. Though it's definitely appalling. It lacks ANY redeeming characteristics that would really give it a place on the list.

Still the best Gundam OVA for me.
Struck right in the feels.

Knights Of Sidonia - 01-04

Best anime of 2014? Best anime of 2014.
"Attack on Titan" in space with mecha.

Too bad the TV adaptation will be too short to include the moment the manga series switched to slice-of-life comedy + love triangle. With a walking tentacle.

;p

Dragoshi1

Decided to go on a small Precure spree with my siblings, after enjoying the hell out of Happiness Charge.

Smile Precure 1-4

Good so far, my brother thinks it's boring a bit, but I like the budding dynamic between the group, also Peace>Sunny>March>Beauty>Happy.

Heartcatch Precure 1-6

THIS ONE IS AWESOME, lovin' it. My brother, sister, and I definitely find this as our favorite so far, on par with Happiness Charge(of which I noticed many little similarities between the two). Erika/Marine is the best character hands down, the super chibi style of the show is both fun and hilarious, and the battles are much more personal compared to the minions and generals of other shows.

Precure All Stars New Stage 1

This was great, a good 8/10 from me. I started with this one as it seemed "newer", and I didn't realize its actually the 5th movie or so. Either way, that chorus filled OP song is blood pumping, and watching all of the different Cures work together and fight is off the chain amazing. I recognize the first few Cures, like Black and White, the Fresh Cures, and the musical based ones, and this movie introduced me to the delight that is Cure Marine and Heartcatch Precure.

Precure All Stars New Stage 2

Not as great as the first movie I saw, but the last 20 minutes of the movie was amazing, especially when the cures caught that sun thing and threw it back. Not a fan of a movie focused on the mascots, though.

Gonna watch the crossover movie where Heartcatch is centerfold soon. I know I'm watching the movies more or less out of order, but it doesn't bother me.

Majin Bone Episode 6

Like the sparring moments a bit more than the actual fight as Gilbert really made interesting points for the whole team.

Fighting in the world though was the best yet, felt action packed, fast paced, and just really good with the Line, almost videogamey even.

Decided to go on a small Precure spree with my siblings, after enjoying the hell out of Happiness Charge.

Smile Precure 1-4

Good so far, my brother thinks it's boring a bit, but I like the budding dynamic between the group, also Peace>Sunny>March>Beauty>Happy.

Heartcatch Precure 1-6

THIS ONE IS AWESOME, lovin' it. My brother, sister, and I definitely find this as our favorite so far, on par with Happiness Charge(of which I noticed many little similarities between the two). Erika/Marine is the best character hands down, the super chibi style of the show is both fun and hilarious, and the battles are much more personal compared to the minions and generals of other shows.

Precure All Stars New Stage 1

This was great, a good 8/10 from me. I started with this one as it seemed "newer", and I didn't realize its actually the 5th movie or so. Either way, that chorus filled OP song is blood pumping, and watching all of the different Cures work together and fight is off the chain amazing. I recognize the first few Cures, like Black and White, the Fresh Cures, and the musical based ones, and this movie introduced me to the delight that is Cure Marine and Heartcatch Precure.

Precure All Stars New Stage 2

Not as great as the first movie I saw, but the last 20 minutes of the movie was amazing, especially when the cures caught that sun thing and threw it back. Not a fan of a movie focused on the mascots, though.

Gonna watch the crossover movie where Heartcatch is centerfold soon. I know I'm watching the movies more or less out of order, but it doesn't bother me.

*sees Peace > Sunny as the top two*

5mEFifBl.jpg

Acosta

There's also a garupan text heavy spread again and a quality lewd mahouka one (that's uh sarcasm), more spreads if you check the poster in the source.

We'll suffer together...

Let's be optimistic and think it can't possible be as bad as the second part of S1.

Midonin

Magica Wars 05

Yoshino Nanjou enthusing about robots brings back some good memories. Too bad the transform is next week, but I'm liking this mini-story. Magical girls and robots need to be together more often. (Like Happy Robo).

cnet128

Banned
We'll suffer together...

Let's be optimistic and think it can't possible be as bad as the second part of S1.

Oh god we're gonna die.

Have I ever mentioned how much it pisses me off when people hate on Fairy Dance without even watching it? =/

The sheer volume of SAO hate around here is kind of overwhelming. And this is before the new season has even started, I don't know how I'm going to survive once it actually starts airing. -.-

cajunator

Banned
Have I ever mentioned how much it pisses me off when people hate on Fairy Dance without even watching it? =/

The sheer volume of SAO hate around here is kind of overwhelming. And this is before the new season has even started, I don't know how I'm going to survive once it actually starts airing. -.-

Im not stopping you from liking it or going to judge you if you enjoyed it. I just dont want anything to do with part 2 myself.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

I think I'll start my rewatch of this. Need something to wash the taste of Kiss Dum from my mouth.

I look forward to what SAO S2 will bring. As much as I disliked the first series (especially Episodes 21 and 24), I want to give this a shot and see what ends up happening. I hear in good faith that the GunGale Arc is pretty good so I have some hope that it might be good.

Joe Molotov

Even SAO fans have to suffer. The circle of suffering will be unbroken.

Cross post, but the DAL II website's been updated with cover art for the OP (left) and ED (right) music releases. From what I can tell using google translate, the CDs also include the OP/ED themes from the upcoming Ars Install PS3 game.

It'd be super swell if they'd stop putting Tohka on everything.

Midonin

Black Bullet 05

There are things like the possible destruction of all of Japan that was averted thanks to using only that railgun, but I knew coming off the end of an arc that there would be at least some levity to the proceedings. Miori's not bad, but I want to see more of her in order to come to a decision - her rivalry with Kisara has potential for comedy, at least. I know from looking around various sources that the new girl, Tina, is supposed to be popular (and she gets to cover the Tenchu Girls theme with Enju on a future CD release), so there must be more to her than what we've seen. So far, she mostly seems sleepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom