• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter X Hunter 128

Fucking Pouf.
I think we got two episodes left until Gon and Pitou fight, and probably 2 or three more episodes after that to wrap this all up.

Stop making me get hyped for the fight between Gon and Pitou, because from what I heard it's pretty amazing. So I'm really getting impatient.

cnet128

Banned
Since some people seem to be making rankings again, I figured I would as well. Shows in order of bestness even within tiers.

Excellent Tier
Isshuukan Friends (This show owns my heart)
Jojo: Stardust Crusaders (Fabulous already and I know it only gets better.
Part 4 when
)
Mushishi Zoku-shou (It’s Mushishi.)
Hunter x Hunter (MeruemxKomugi OTP)

Great Tier
selector infected WIXOSS (Okada does Madoka. What could possibly go wrong?!)
No Game No Life (CUTE IS JUSTICE)
Mekakucity Actors (Shaft, I am your bitch)
Baby Steps (Takasaki-san so angel. Tennis best sport. Hang on, when did the MC’s hair stop bothering me?)
Nisekoi (Anyone who can’t see the bestgirlness of Onodera needs an eye/brain/soul transplant)
The Ace of Diamonds (Wait, how did that get there?!
Tonari no Seki-kun
)

Good Tier
Gokukoku no Brynhildr (This show is consistently entertaining)
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou (Featuring the second-best Ricchan in all of anime!)
Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin (Tensai best. Dark still a crime against humanity.)
Hitsugi no Chaika (Chaika is a strong contender for most precious character of the season, and that’s with a lot of competition)
Ping Pong (I still have trouble figuring out how I feel about this show, but it’s definitely cool as fuck)
Love Live! S2 (Nico-nico-nii~~)
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka? (brb shipping everyone with everyone else)

Decent Tier
Black Bullet (Depending on how things progress with Tina, this may move up the ranks)
Date A Live II (Twins are pretty great. Needs more Kurumi tho.)
Captain Earth (If it weren’t for episode 5 which was actually pretty good, this show would be even lower. It has potential, but I’d like it to start actually engaging me with its plot soon.)
Akuma no Riddle (Prediction of how the next episode will go: An assassin tries to kill Haru. Tokaku stops her. Assassin leaves the school.)
Soul Eater Not! (This show isn’t exactly exciting, but it’s pleasant enough to watch, and I appreciate the yuri undertones.)

All Right I Guess Tier
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (SERIOUSLY. STOP BEING SO BORING ALREADY.)
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara (I don’t think this show is particularly good, but it has so many quirky waifus that I still enjoy it)
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san (If these episodes were full-length, this show might be right up the other end of the rankings. As it is, it’s just a tiny injection of lovely yuri each week.)
Yowamushi Pedal (Still pretty intense, but starting to get rather repetitive and drag a little.)

Not Good Yet But Has Potential Tier
M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane (aka: Okada Proves Through Imitation That Madoka Is Better Than Evangelion)

If It Weren’t For The Occasional Lolis I Wouldn’t Be Watching This Shit Tier
Seikoku no Dragonar (WHY ARE THERE SO MANY GIANT BREASTS)

Comparing to the last ranking post I made, the main differences seem to be that my opinions of Mahouka and Captain Earth have significantly lowered, while I've ended up liking Wixoss and Brynhildr a lot more than I initially thought.

Hattori

Banned
Gonna have to go with #teamshorthair
09rU6dI.jpg

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 01

Heyyyy looook it's that thing I should've watched while it was airing
Already in like the first five minutes this show looks like it will have a Gundam tier body count, woohoo for EVE Online space battles with lasers and explosions everywhere
Show looks really pretty, probably the least ugly CG I've seen since SAC so props to that

HxH 128

Well this was animated..uhhh well? It was weird as hell in the manga, even weirder in the anime.

It's the stuff that animations brings in: the voices of the charactesr shouting from ecstasy for example, as it isn't the same reading it than hearing it, the colors were also pretty wild to express pure bliss.

Mature

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 01

Heyyyy looook it's that thing I should've watched while it was airing
Already in like the first five minutes this show looks like it will have a Gundam tier body count, woohoo for EVE Online space battles with lasers and explosions everywhere
Show looks really pretty, probably the least ugly CG I've seen since SAC so props to that
I believe the CG gets better as the show goes on, too. That or I just got more used to it.

cnet128

Banned
Heartcatch Precure! 48

Holy shit, I think they may have finally done it. This penultimate-episode battle might have actually been more gorgeous in action than Splash Star's.

lol @ Moonlight
needing a lecture from Blossom on how to be a real Precure
. Does it speak volumes that that was probably my favourite moment of hers in the whole series? I mean, okay, her attitude was fairly understandable in context considering
she just watched her father asplode
, but still. Worst Heartcatch Cure is worst.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 61

Sora is now the best DreAca idol, mole notwithstanding.

I didn't expect one of the CG dance sequences in the show to be so psychedelic. Was good stuff.

Articalys

No stamina anymore to scan through the whole thread I missed, just the most recent page from now on. Sorry to anything interesting in the middle that I end up missing this way.

Also, did I step back to Sunday somehow? The hair argument started up again? It works like this:

- depending on the person, both short or long hair can be cute.
- however, long hair when tied up is nearly always inferior to long hair when let down.

Stulaw

HxH 128
Moe Pouf.

Half an episode of N(exactly)SFW:

Loved it, and it's why I love the anime, it just really brings the manga to life.

Crocodile

Jormungand is made by a different manga author, different anime studio, and even different director. It's much worse than BL, I wouldn't say it's worth it unless you are really craving for a show in that genre.

I just looked up more info on the show. Seems like I was lied to :/

I think I'll check out the 1st episode to see how it sits with me.

How should Fate/Zero be seen, through English sub or English dub Animegaf.

Dub

Articalys

Hmm... You on twitter then?
Yes and no. Yes in that I have an account, but no in that I never tweet anything from it and just use it to manage following news/company accounts and such.

I found your tweet literally by just searching twitter for any mention of "neogaf" while the problems were going on.
Was just glancing over at the Right Stuf Funimation "Sale" (sometimes it seems like a sale is just regular price over there) going on right now, and noticed that you can get Serial Experiments Lain on Blu-Ray as part of the Anime Classics line for $23.99. This should be a really easy purchase for anyone with the means. The only acceptable excuse being that you already own the amazing collectors set.
Or, that I found the show OK but have no real desire to own it.

Though, if I were going to Anime Central, I would totally buy this and get ABe to sign it.

You forgot GTO!

I watched GTO sub. Would love to see it dubbed one day, but I watched and loved it too recently. One of my favorite OP's

As everybody should know, Black Lagoon is the GOD DAMN. If you disagree, you're wrong. I just heard a series called Jourmand (sp?) is set in the same universe and written by the same author. I've heard the show mentioned before but I don't know too much about it. It doesn't seem to be spoken with as much praise as BL but even if it isn't AS good as BL, is it still good? Worth my time?

I love BL (own all the blu-rays). But Jormungand is meh. The first season is worth a watch. It's decent enough where you won't leave disappointed. The second season though was pure shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I dropped it because it was so boring. It tried to do serious seinen a bit too much to the point it became boring.

Midonin

Shuffle! 22-24

No final thoughts just yet. I know there's Memories' 12th episode, which I am considering episode 25 for the purposes of this forum. But the show itself wrapped up, and overall, while it certainly got melodramatic (the Kaede arc was the highlight of the show), I see plenty of stuff here that's both consistent with Navel's style and what I'd expect from a visual novel based anime. As a romcom/harem, perhaps it's not one of the greats, but it's pretty good at what it does. The devils/gods stuff always felt more like a background element than a central thrust of the plot, but that has its appeal, too. There's something to be said for a world where magic is just normal and not part of some conspiracy. There was more than the show's share of those in everyone's backstory, but it never overtook the plot.

I was surprised that
Asa was half-demon in her parentage, and that Rin had to cut his own wrist just to get her to heal herself. It's like a reverse Myself;Yourself and a wee bit extreme, but it's not like the boxcutter wasn't foreshadowed.
My reactions aren't as extreme as they were to School Days, but then, the show itself isn't as extreme. As far as favorite characters, Asa was pretty fun, and having her route be chosen was different, but it was also built up to. As far as the other girls go, I like Sia the best, but I felt the Lycoris/Primula plot was the one that was the most fun to watch. Also, the animation looked a little off in places in the finale.

Not the worst thing I've seen - I like OreTsuba a little better just because that went even more over the top in its theatrics, but Shuffle!, being Navel's first work, is a good indication of what they would later do.

Hunter x Hunter Episode 128

Really slow episode offering really less than a second of a good scene, while everything else was hard to focus on. I don't think there is really interest in seeing Youpi for the umpteenth time nor Pouf again and again do nothing to write home about. Perhaps he will get a second fight this arc to somehow give a memorable moment, but otherwise, performing just like all the other nonhumans in this arc, just really terribly.
Also was disappointed that Togashi couldn't actually do something unique for a series in JUMP and go all the way with having the major antagonist off'd in the arc by a non major character. It sad that even he is trapped by the laws of the genre exhibiting this here with the unsurprising reveal that the King did survive the powerful bomb in a way that made him capable enough to breathe on his own.

At least Killua saved the episode.
Bm_UFD-CAAECDgY.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom