• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Nisekoi 18.

I am just SO done with this show. He was asleep, really?Protagonist was a bit of a jackass towards Chitoge. I finish all the shows I start, but I won't be picking up the second season of this.

What's with high schools in anime performing Romeo and Juliet anyway? Same thing popped up in Akuma no Riddle. Put on Othello or something for a change!
Romeo and juliet

Or cinderella ?

Pick your poison !!

There's a new key visual for Aldnoah Zero, and the OP/ED were announced too. Kalafina is doing the OP, while Sawano is composing the ED as part of his new vocal unit SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]. Ughhh.... :

Vs_004.jpg

(

Hopefully the ost is as quality as guilty crown and etc, not excited for Kalafina.

I hope we get another visual with Slaine.

cnet128

Banned
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 6

Oh hey, that was actually pretty good for a Mahouka episode. There was, like, actual action and emotion and stuff.

Silly Mibu-senpai.

Jex

The main problem most people seem to have is the antagonists motivations and reactions are just wildly over the top and unbelievable.
My main bugbears are Patema's lack of development and the overall plot having a few points I could pick at.

It's a good movie just not outstanding really.

The thing with Patema Inverted is that Yasuhiro Yoshiura's direction is excellent. There are numerous scenes, especially near the beginning, that just ooze cinematographic skill. It's confident, it's funny, it's exciting. He's displaying all the signs of becoming a top tier anime director.

However, he also wrote the sceenplay and all the films problems begin and end there. I almost found myself asking if Gen Urobuchi had written it because it was littered with all the hallmarks of trashy, over the top plotting and characterisation. It's really quite bad in places especially with regards to the main villain.

However, leaving him aside for a moment, the real problem with the writing is the characterisation and pacing. It feels like we've only known our leads for about 5 minutes but suddenly they've developed this bond for no apparent reason that we're supposed to care about and then it's right into the action. The script really needed to give a lot more time to fleshing out both characters and their relationship before the action kicked off. Unfortunately they ended up barrelling through what should have been the building of a solid foundation for the film so that it can get straight into the action and plot.

With regards to both the script and the films climax:
I could see the revelation coming a mile away because the main villain spent so long spouting racism against the inverted people that the only fitting end for him would be to discover that he was inverted. That's just how shitty, Urobuchi style scripts have to be! Because I knew the script was cliched I also knew that had to happen.

Best girl is someone like Holo, Spoor or one of the girls from 12 Kingdoms, probably any of them qualify.
Now that's an opinion i can get behind !
The whole 12 kingdom cast is damn fine.
Especially all the emperesses.

Damn now im sad i have nt more material to read

Link Man

Banned
I really don't understand what this comment is supposed to mean, but you just reminded me that Hyouka hasn't been picked up by anyone. Someone should get on that.

I think what he's trying to say is that this show escaped the fate the Hyouka met with (i.e. not being released at all in the west).

And speaking of shows that need a physical release in the west, still hoping (in vain, most likely) for Kyousougiga on blu-ray.

Ehh. PQ doesnt matter much. Blurays are so durable though! I *hug them

Sure Blu-rays are tough, but you should worry about picture quality just a little right? You are purchasing an item that should be produced at the best possible quality. Sure there are some minor mistakes here and there, but if something is riddled with flaws I certainly would not want to own that item.

Fair enough! I'm just a bit irked at spending an extra $20 compared to the ones just across the border. August will be tough enough with the CCS Blu-Ray set.

Even if you did go the import route, at least you would have the peace of mind of owning the best authored product despite the hundreds of dollars spent.

As much as I like to save money with anime purchases, I only purchase through Right Stuf for domestic releases. Amazon may be more affordable, but item shipments are so much longer and the packaging has been kind of iffy with my first purchases years ago.

mAcOdIn

Now that's an opinion i can get behind !
The whole 12 kingdom cast is damn fine.
Especially all the emperesses.

Damn now im sad i have nt more material to read
I know. What really amazed me about 12 Kingdoms is all the characters pretty much sucked at the end, it's one of the few series where I felt like people had actually struggled with and overcome their problems and became better people. And all these characters who I hated at the start all became great.

Narag

Sure Blu-rays are tough, but you should worry about picture quality just a little right? You are purchasing an item that should be produced at the best possible quality. Sure there are some minor mistakes here and there, but if something is riddled with flaws I certainly would not want to own that item.

IIRC he doesn't prize PQ as much as others and has said he has bad eyesight to begin with.

Midonin

Happiness Charge Precure! 15

The Blue Sky Kingdom is in better shape than the Trump Kingdom, but with all those mirrors strewn about it's basically a graveyard. That scene of Hime visiting her captured parents was one of the more touching scenes yet. Of course she'd know all the secret passageways in her home. And we got to see Olesky dance the hula, which made everything worth it. The extended ninja sequence was fun, too. And Mirage really plans ahead - putting a power dampener on the castle so that even Yuyu's "nuke the Earth" plan doesn't work against the knight-level grunts.

Cure of the Week: Sailor Jupit... Hibiki.

Next week: Miyo Masuko gets all up in everyone's business.

Clov

I think what he's trying to say is that this show escaped the fate the Hyouka met with (i.e. not being released at all in the west).

And speaking of shows that need a physical release in the west, still hoping (in vain, most likely) for Kyousougiga on blu-ray.

Yes, Kyousogiga was great! I think it will get picked up eventually, it's just a matter of when. That's just me though.

Clov

Come to think of it, is Kadokawa the one that owns Hyouka's Blu-Ray rights? If so, that might be why it hasn't come over yet. I've heard they're a very hard company to deal with.

Shergal

The thing with Patema Inverted is that Yasuhiro Yoshiura's direction is excellent. There are numerous scenes, especially near the beginning, that just ooze cinematographic skill. It's confident, it's funny, it's exciting. He's displaying all the signs of becoming a top tier anime director.

However, he also wrote the sceenplay and all the films problems begin and end there. I almost found myself asking if Gen Urobuchi had written it because it was littered with all the hallmarks of trashy, over the top plotting and characterisation. It's really quite bad in places especially with regards to the main villain.

However, leaving him aside for a moment, the real problem with the writing is the characterisation and pacing. It feels like we've only known our leads for about 5 minutes but suddenly they've developed this bond for no apparent reason that we're supposed to care about and then it's right into the action. The script really needed to give a lot more time to fleshing out both characters and their relationship before the action kicked off. Unfortunately they ended up barrelling through what should have been the building of a solid foundation for the film so that it can get straight into the action and plot.

With regards to both the script and the films climax:
I could see the revelation coming a mile away because the main villain spent so long spouting racism against the inverted people that the only fitting end for him would be to discover that he was inverted. That's just how shitty, Urobuchi style scripts have to be! Because I knew the script was cliched I also knew that had to happen.

So what you're saying is, he needs to find his own Satoko Okudera?
okay maybe someone who's better than Okudera :p

Quasar

World is Still Beautiful 6 - another nice episode of what I guess is my show of the season. Either that or One Week Friends.

Jintor

So hummingbird redesigned their dash and NOW YOU CAN'T EVEN UPDATE THE SHOWS YOU'RE FUCKING WATCHING FROM THE DEFAULT PAGE

WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

THE FUCKING FANMADE ANDROID APP IS BETTER DESIGNED THAN THIS FUCKING DREK

also this massive 'community discussions' thing is taking up the top left of the screen now. goodjob

cajunator

Banned

oooooooh. Been wanting to watch this!

That HolyBaikal's post at OT choke me so hard..

i wish people would leave Holybaikal alone :/
I seem to be one of the few who can get along with them.

I really don't understand what this comment is supposed to mean, but you just reminded me that Hyouka hasn't been picked up by anyone. Someone should get on that.

it might never happen but I would be the only one buying it amyway lol.

hyouka didnt even get streamed so a release wasnt likely.

Even if you did go the import route, at least you would have the peace of mind of owning the best authored product despite the hundreds of dollars spent.

As much as I like to save money with anime purchases, I only purchase through Right Stuf for domestic releases. Amazon may be more affordable, but item shipments are so much longer and the packaging has been kind of iffy with my first purchases years ago.

perhaps in terms of more vibrant colors I like it for anime but dvd quality isnt a big deal. Given a choice I still go with bluray.

IIRC he doesn't prize PQ as much as others and has said he has bad eyesight to begin with.

Yes correct. Ive always had the stance that the PQ isnt a big deal but started buying them because they are ideal for collectors.

DAIMIDALER: PRINCE VS. PENGUIN EMPIRE Episode 6 Arrival! Shouma And Kiriko

Shouma good lead though episode exceeded my limits for the fanservice and lewd, dont know if I'll return.
though curious of when we return to the main pilots

cnet128

Banned
So hummingbird redesigned their dash and NOW YOU CAN'T EVEN UPDATE THE SHOWS YOU'RE FUCKING WATCHING FROM THE DEFAULT PAGE

also this massive 'community discussions' thing is taking up the top left of the screen now. goodjob

...There are pages on Hummingbird that aren't the Library page?

News to me =p

Captain Earth 6

lol boomerang

Zeppeli

Banned
I wonder how hellish Nisekoi's anime is going to get when
they introduce the fifth girl. Seriously, this anime might go on for another 30 episodes at this point

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ah yes, Eureka Seven you will continue to be one of the most overrated anime I have ever watched, so much hatred, so much terribleness.

Quasar

I don't know when you could really. At least beyond a handful of shows you already recently updated. And in that respect this new update has improved it a little.

Can't say I'm very upset. Its a anime focused social network so its expect that the social parts would be front facing.

Though I think including the ability to choose a default page (be it the library or another one) would be a nice customisation option. Which I suggested in a feedback thread.

Well that depends on what you want. If you purely want a cataloging application, yeah. And certainly the android app is why I use it over all the other social anime thingies (well I still use MAL too as it also supports manga (and by stealth) novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom