• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Sword Art Online: 16

I dont see why everyone rats on this after the first 14 episodes. Its been pretty good so far, and the new world seems like it will be interesting considering you can actually kill in it

Always good to see people not hating Sword Art Online, there's way too little of that around these parts.

I just hope your positivity lasts to the end, since you haven't reached some of the things people complain most vocally about yet XD

Kurita

tumblr_l6eqle3O3v1qc0ublo1_500.jpg

Are you watching the same show? Because in terms of animation production, it's been really solid so far. Though all the more so compared to season 1 motion comic I guess.
Solid? The art style is nice but it's very average in everything else. I'm just bored with the show. It's as old school Shonen with still shots and long discussions about what is happening and what they'll do. It's literally like reading a manga. I don't care for any of the characters aside of old JoJo. Hopefully things pick up but that short clip of the OVA people showed me was better than anything this show has offered so far.

cnet128

Banned
Solid? The art style is nice but it's very average in everything else. I'm just bored with the show. It's as old school Shonen with still shots and long discussions about what is happening and what they'll do. It's literally like reading a manga. I don't care for any of the characters aside of old JoJo. Hopefully things pick up but that short clip of the OVA people showed me was better than anything this show has offered so far.

It's okay not to be particularly enamoured of Stardust Crusaders at this point, the early fights are pretty simplistic and I've always felt Part 3's cast of protagonists is one of the weakest in the series.

The Part definitely gets better as it goes on, though, because Araki gets progressively more creative with the enemy Stands' abilities and the nature of their confrontations. It's no Part 2 or Part 4, but there's still a lot to like in Part 3.

cajunator

Banned
Does Sailor Moon even have Blu-Rays in Japan? I wasn't able to find them when I looked.

That's also why I don't really care about Nozomi that much. Stubbornly sticking to DVDs when everyone else in the industry has moved on. I'm not buying Utena until I can buy it in HD!

I dont think they do nor will they ever have Sailor Moon blurays.

Cross post of sorts, but I've now read the first 4 vols of the Date A Live light novel (1) (2) (3) (4). Long story short, the anime did a decent job of covering everything, except for the, uh, kinda important scene where you learn what Kurumi's ultimate aim is. You see part of the scene at the end of ep1 of season 2, but it conveniently glosses over what fundamentally makes her tick (pun intentional). I can only assume the anime's saving it for some kind of dramatic reveal, because jesus christ. I didn't think it was possible for me to be any more fascinated by her, and yet.

Youre in it deeeeep man!
Not that I blame you. Kurumi is fucking wonderful. Her character design is one of the most amazing things Ive ever seen.
And then theres her voice: (NOT SAFE FOR WORK AT ALL) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gLSC_2LU9w

How do you guys keep up with all this new anime.

I'm still watching Bleach and shit...ughh

I dont really. Im so far behind again. Working all the time.
I buy a whole lot of it and watch it later.

Funimation got the Home Video rights for:

High School DxD New (early 2015 release)
Hyperdimension Neptunia (Winter release)

YES

Patema Inverted

Nice fantasy adventure movie that tries to harken back that sense of wonder that only a few classic movies and series succeed. And hey, they got that part right. There is a nice sense of wonder and adventure.
Alas, it isn't that great of a film. First, just 7-10 minutes more of character interaction at the beginning between the main character would have improved a lot their relation, established better the characters and explained the motivation for the MC to risk his life; but the movie goes in a strict schedule, running in the typical length of 95 minutes. Even if there is barely any secondary character that is more than sketched, apart from the two MCs and the bad guy, there is only 3 secondary characters, and they have a totally perfunctory role in the story. There was a "childhood friend" type of girl in the class of the guy that I thought maybe it wold play a role, but not, she has a phrase to say later and that's it.
And second, too many minutes of the movie are dominated by the bad guy. Because of course they needed a bad guy. But what a boring, flat, super evil, histrionic bad guy. Darth Vader and his stormtroopers were happy hippies in comparison.
I think they went with the idea of making an evil guy that people would "love to hate", but it's too extreme, too cartoon villain to be taken seriously. He is constantly closing his hands in menacing ways or laughing evilly, etc.

Now, a little drawing I did explaining the story to a Spanish friend (sorry for the Spanish text!).
SPOILER, DON'T CLICK!
http://i.imgur.com/LLfzJpv.png
SPOILER, DON'T CLICK!

The funny thing is, what happened was one of my pet theories when I saw the promotional OVA ("maybe the real inverted ones are.. THE OTHER GUYS!" and the real ground is the caves of the hidden ones, and the outside sky is like the Truman's Show!). Btw, another one was "they are really in a big ass space station, not in Earth! there is no real or "right" gravity!". But after seeing the first seconds of the movie, I discarded the idea, thinking that the experiment was real and stuff really fell upside to the sky and it all coincided with the first minutes of the film at straight value so no need to complicate it. Heh.

In any case, a nice twist explaining everything, that improved the whole film in the last minute.

I still need to find a way to watch this. Hopefully it gets licensed here.

Clov

I agree with you so far. I know that this helped create/popularize many aspects of shounen manga, but it's the kind of shounen I'm not very fond of right now. There's always a few amusing moments every episode though, which is nice. I guess I preferred the faster pacing that Battle Tendency had, since Stardust Crusaders just feels so slow to me. I really hope the second half picks up like everyone says it does.

cajunator

Banned
So did Hosanna have some sort of meltdown or something?

Yeah :(
I really hope hes ok. It signifies an underlying problem that goes beyond just hating the anime thread. I bet he has some very real personal issues that are affecting him negatively and it channeled through the anime thread.

cnet128

Banned
Tonari no Seki-kun 19

I think this episode may have had some of the most adorable Yokoi reactions yet.

Also, you know, megane. Can't complain about megane. And the choosing of them is a nice choice of scenario - I know from experience that can be a tense and difficult experience even without the looming spectre of Dark Yokoi judging your every move.

Clov

I dont think they do nor will they ever have Sailor Moon blurays.

I still need to find a way to watch this. Hopefully it gets licensed here.

Never? Does Toei just suck that much?

As for Patema, it was picked up for theatrical distribution over here by Gkids. That means it probably will get a DVD/Blu-Ray release by Cinedigm; the same thing happened with From Up on Poppy Hill and A Letter to Momo, I think.

On different news my steins gate blu-rays got here. Now which deity do I have to sell my soul to so I can get a cheap fate zero?

MVM in the UK. I like Aniplex's sets though, and I placed my order for the second set on Saturday. It should arrive at my place sometime this week!

Clov

I assume British film blu-rays don't work in Murican ps4s.

They don't, and they don't even work in our regular Blu-Ray players! You'll need a region-free Blu-Ray player to play them. It might seem a bit expensive, but you might save money in the long run depending on how many Blu-Rays you buy.

Personally I'm okay with my regular Blu-Ray player, but it's been awfully tempting to get a region free one at times.The UK has some titles on Blu-Ray that North America doesn't, like Perfect Blue. I'd love to own that in HD!

TheRancor

I was specifically talking about the animation and yes, it's been fairly solid, good fire effects, fights look very consistent even 6 episodes in etc. They even have specific main animators credited whenever there is an impressive looking cut. As for the rest of the show, I think Yugo Kanno's music is quite decent as well. Of course, stand of the week isn't for everyone and it seems to be pretty faithful to the manga so I guess your problem is with the source material!

I don't buy enough Blu rays to justify buying a region free player. I only want a few more anime to own then I wanna buy the breaking bad Blu Ray series.

As to JoJo I guess my eyes are not seeing what's so impressive of the animation.

TheRancor

I don't buy enough Blu rays to justify buying a region free player. I only want a few more anime to own then I wanna buy the breaking bad Blu Ray series.

As to JoJo I guess my eyes are not seeing what's so impressive of the animation.
I'm not saying it's some consistently super impressive animated looking show like say Dennou Coil or Hyouka etc. But to say the animation is "meh" which includes the fights doesn't sit well with me. :p

cajunator

Banned
Theonik said gkids is gonna release it in the US earlier in the thread:

I must have missed that little bit about the US license! thanks!

On different news my steins gate blu-rays got here. Now which deity do I have to sell my soul to so I can get a cheap fate zero?

Congrats! Awesome series.
Also there is a "cheap" Fate Zero.

Never? Does Toei just suck that much?

As for Patema, it was picked up for theatrical distribution over here by Gkids. That means it probably will get a DVD/Blu-Ray release by Cinedigm; the same thing happened with From Up on Poppy Hill and A Letter to Momo, I think.

MVM in the UK. I like Aniplex's sets though, and I placed my order for the second set on Saturday. It should arrive at my place sometime this week!

Yes Toei suuuuuucks.

Titanfall has finally gone full Shingeki. Dat forest.

My brother bought the game for PC. I dont like it.

Jex

Dammnit

I'm on episode 4 of Gundam Unicorn and Banagher is in the typical Gundam protag overly emotional phase, which would be fine if this lasted an ep or two, but these OVAs are an hour long and he's been like this for almost two.

I'm sorry that you've just discovered this :(

Even the some of the best looking mecha and fights in a Gundam show aren't enough to save Unicorn.

TheRancor

I'm sorry that you've just discovered this :(

Even the some of the best looking mecha and fights in a Gundam show aren't enough to save Unicorn.
Lets see how the final episode fares in a few days time. At the very least we should get nice looking 2D mecha lol.

Theonik

What is the "cheap" fate zero?
BDInfo for disk 1.

If you can just buy a BD Drive for your PC then region-freedom is trivial.
Passkey or AnyDVD are decent enough solutions for playing disks as region free on MPC-HC.

I kind of regret my purchase now even though it's about a third of the price.

I have a laptop. Once I build my pc when I graduate college I guess I can make a consideration. Doesn't anybody sell this in digital format then? Without much loss in audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom