• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saint Seiya (1986) 02-03
Raging every 5 seconds at the subs being inaccurate for this aside
this was a pretty decent set of episodes. Hyouga does sort of interest, especially with his mother complex that he apparently has. I have no idea what that's about. But I guess I'll find out eventually. But next:

You know it's a shounen show when there's shirtless fighting!

jgminto

Baby Steps 6

iFh0QszxRoefN.png

That was an exciting match, if it keeps up with this pace it should be able to compete with the other sport shows this season, even if it does look like garbage.

blessedbrian

Neo Member
Samurai Flamenco (Episode 1-7)

I've never been a huge fan of the tokusatsu/sentai subgenre, but I have me a little soft spot for that blend of irreverence and tribute that carried me through a lot of Space Dandy. It's a jolly good time watching Masayoshi being a useless piece of shit throughout the first half of the arc, and develop into an actual character who resembles the heroes he idolizes - but that the show still carries that self-aware goofiness makes it a better parody than many other shows that simply go "HOHO LOOK HOW STOOPID THIS IS. HOW FAHNEE".
Also, Ishihara's mole gives me half boners. Her ice queen, psycho bitch act gives me full boners! Yikes, what is my life.

Doesn't seem to be any hint of the sakuga the OP promises but I'm okay with that. The comedy in the show feels so nicely integrated and understated - it's in Flamenco Diamond's taser-equipped magical rod (all those Flamenco Girls are a riot), in the way Joji is presented as the clueless-as-shit, classic action movie star who's never around to actually help, how Harazuka the weapons guy is always in the fucking scene without any need for introduction. He just shows up. He's just there. Goddamnit.
Nice to see Tomokazu Sugita bringing out the straight-man act again. He's got that down pat. What a guy. The show also gives the straight-man role more significance with all the genre navel-gazing, and in between all the posturing and heroism is this cop who doesn't agree with all the idealism but he gets it, at least, and we get the sense that he was also into it at some point, just not at the same level that Masayoshi was.

It's also kinda funny watching a sentai tribute spending most of his time dealing with people complaining about some random creeper going around at night disturbing the peace - or not actually fighting anything fantastical.

OH WAIT

Samurai Flamenco (Episode 8+)

Well, it's okay.

Personally I don't think it was the logical progression, but it certainly had shock and hype!
The novelty remains, but what's mostly giving it its legs is that its humour and expert composition of each scene is still holding up. Goto dealing with this fresh coat of bullshit by using his gun in the opening scenes got a chortle out of me. Unfortunately it's turned into a straighter form of parody, which (while still funny for me) doesn't have the same subtlety or gentle touch that the first arc had. Oho, he beat the shit out of that guy with stapler nunchuks and exploded! Ha ha, oh.

I was personally hoping for an even deeper dive into the Mel Brooks approach (people going about their daily business while some random-ass showdown is going on a few feet away should never get old), but I'm still fairly chuffed by the way the episodes are so nicely put together.

Also, fuck off, Konno, you slimy sack of shit.

My guilty (heh) pleasure!
Not the mom, though, she doesn't actually do jack shit through the entire show.

Jintor

Seki-kun 11

Poor guy-who-sits-in-front-of-Seki.

Seki-kun 12

Omg. I wasn't super enjoying this show initially but this show keeps topping itself week after week. I love the absurd ways Seki manages to subvert normal goofing off into S-class tier goofing off. Memories of driving tests... poor seki-kun.

Teekyu 12

this though has been funny forever.

Jintor

Watching the Constantine trailer, am I struck by how similar Noragami seems to be at least in concept.

Really? Is the Constantine TV show radically different from the comic or something? A quick google for Noragami doesn't seem that familiar

Hell, it kind of sounds more like Neil Gaiman-y or Pratchett-esque Small Gods style than anything

Defuser

Nobunaga ZA FOOL ep 18
Caesar is not a evil man? Wtf Ichihime what are you saying? The guy killed your dad, backstab kill Shingen,lied to Takeda forces, taken countless lives and force you to marry him and you say he's not evil? lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Really? Is the Constantine TV show radically different from the comic or something? A quick google for Noragami doesn't seem that familiar

Hell, it kind of sounds more like Neil Gaiman-y or Pratchett-esque Small Gods style than anything

I don't know anything about the DC property, but it seems to involve a fallen angel dude hanging out with a waifu who is suddenly able to see spirits and they both team up to fight these spirits.

I mean, it's not exactly the same, but it just struck me how similar they were. Well, barring a dude turning into a sword of course.

(I had a moment of weakness after watching Jojo)

Saint Seiya Omega (S2) 52-53

.... Hahahahahahahahahaha. I appreciate the cute little nods to the older series, but I have a big problem with this. Koga and the rest awakened their seventh sense as of last season. That was established as a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge thing, and they were able to fight on even grounds with Gold Saints after awakening to it. Now Soma is having issues against not even a class 1, but a class THREE Pallasite? Yeah no, you lost me.

Like, I don't know. The Steel Saint stuff I honestly don't care about, so Subaru doesn't annoy me, but the power difference is bugging the shit out of me.

I don't know anything about the DC property, but it seems to involve a fallen angel dude hanging out with a waifu who is suddenly able to see spirits and they both team up to fight these spirits.

I mean, it's not exactly the same, but it just struck me how similar they were. Well, barring a dude turning into a sword of course.

My minimal knowledge of Constantine allows me to say that he isn't a "fallen angel dude".

(I had a moment of weakness after watching Jojo)

Saint Seiya Omega (S2) 52-53

.... Hahahahahahahahahaha. I appreciate the cute little nods to the older series, but I have a big problem with this. Koga and the rest awakened their seventh sense as of last season. That was established as a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge thing, and they were able to fight on even grounds with Gold Saints after awakening to it. Now Soma is having issues against not even a class 1, but a class THREE Pallasite? Yeah no, you lost me.

Like, I don't know. The Steel Saint stuff I honestly don't care about, so Subaru doesn't annoy me, but the power difference is bugging the shit out of me.

The escuse is that everyone is in bad shape after the last season events ..don't worry the power difference will be better treated the more episode you watch.
It's also an escuse as of why subaru doesn't die in one hit given how weak he is.
As for subaru , well brace yourself for him and what he'll do. I can safely say that he killed my interest in omega over time

NeonZ

That was established as a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge thing, and they were able to fight on even grounds with Gold Saints after awakening to it. Now Soma is having issues against not even a class 1, but a class THREE Pallasite? Yeah no, you lost me.

Don't compare the Pallasite classes directly with the Saint classifications. The weakest Third Class Pallasite is stronger than a fairly strong Silver Saint like you'll see in a few episodes, so the power downgrade that Souma sees in that episode isn't that big.

All the main Saints in the first few episodes are dealing with problems regarding their motivation, which reduces their power until they get their heads straight again and awaken the new cloths. The main power inconsistency issue you'll see through Omega season 2 is that sometimes people seem to fight horribly bellow their usual level when their cloths are broken... or not, depending on the episode.

blessedbrian

Neo Member
Samurai Flamenco (Episode 18)

To quote a post I identified strongly with about an unrelated show a while back,

WHAT
WHAT
WHAT
WHAT

full impressions from 8-18 incoming~ also HOW ARE THERE STILL 4 EPISODES TO GO

sonicmj1

Spice and Wolf 5

Lawrence proves that he's good for things.

I had thought the initial scheme might have something to do with the country issuing it, but I hadn't quite put the pieces together. It's kind of interesting, the way all these different factions exist in balance.

i70IxucakEhEs.jpg
iAvlBlnzclRTH.jpg

Holo's facial expressions are way more interesting than anything anyone else does.

I don't have too much to say about this episode, though I like the developments so far. With
Chloe
back into the picture in a pretty unexpected way, I'm pretty interested in how things will happen going forward.

Holo really has a lot of pride.

Clov

Chances are Nozomi will be picking it up and they don't do BDs. So never.
Also Toei sucks nuts in that regard too!

Does Sailor Moon even have Blu-Rays in Japan? I wasn't able to find them when I looked.

That's also why I don't really care about Nozomi that much. Stubbornly sticking to DVDs when everyone else in the industry has moved on. I'm not buying Utena until I can buy it in HD!

Theonik

Does Sailor Moon even have Blu-Rays in Japan? I wasn't able to find them when I looked.

That's also why I don't really care about Nozomi that much. Stubbornly sticking to DVDs when everyone else in the industry has moved on. I'm not buying Utena until I can buy it in HD!
That's the Toei part of the equation. I wish they'd done BD remasters for it when they were doing anniversary stuff. Maybe they still will? I haven't a clue.

It's a bit strange that Japanese love Knights of Sidonia so much,but maybe that means there's still hope in anime industry because great show deserve great sales(it's also doing great in pre-order chart btw)

Episode 5 nico ratings,second highest of spring show
saMTjky.jpg

Clov

That's the Toei part of the equation. I wish they'd done BD remasters for it when they were doing anniversary stuff. Maybe they still will? I haven't a clue.

They ought to, if they still have the original masters.

Somewhat off-topic, but another thing that annoyed me was when the Blu-Rays for the Urusei Yatsura movies got canceled in Japan. When will I be able to have Beautiful Dreamer in HD? When?

HappinessCharge! Precure 15

This may seem coincidental, but this really feels like a "Congratulations to North America for getting Shinovi Versus localized", because not only did we get ninjas, we got BREAST FIRE from Hito. BREAST FIRE! And ninjutsu!

Moral of the story, me not eating before a mission makes the worst ninja. But really, this feels like... a Smile Precure episode in a way. Only difference is that there's actually character development. And the fact that
oh hey, we're reduced strength because we're in enemy territory! COLONY DROP FAILS

madp weeps

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ace of Diamond 31

Team is down 11-8 in the 6th inning and the assistant coach actually asks if they should sacrifice bunt a runner over to 2nd base. Head coach replies telling the assistant he's a god damn idiot. Love the new team and their head coach for not adopting the traditionally moronic strategies you sometimes see especially in Japanese high school baseball.

Also boggles my mind how a team could be considered favorite when they evidently only have one guy on the roster who can pitch at all (the "ace") and he was a total scrub too. Not only that but they burned through their other relievers just to bring him back in even though the other guys were seemingly holding the lead. They're totally fucked now when he gets shelled again.

Glad to see Seido has competition for dumbest head coach in the series.

Cross post of sorts, but I've now read the first 4 vols of the Date A Live light novel (1) (2) (3) (4). Long story short, the anime did a decent job of covering everything, except for the, uh, kinda important scene where you learn what Kurumi's ultimate aim is. You see part of the scene at the end of ep1 of season 2, but it conveniently glosses over what fundamentally makes her tick (pun intentional). I can only assume the anime's saving it for some kind of dramatic reveal, because jesus christ. I didn't think it was possible for me to be any more fascinated by her, and yet.

Cross post of sorts, but I've now read the first 4 vols of the Date A Live light novel (1) (2) (3) (4). Long story short, the anime did a decent job of covering everything, except for the, uh, kinda important scene where you learn what Kurumi's ultimate aim is. You see part of the scene at the end of ep1 of season 2, but it conveniently glosses over what fundamentally makes her tick (pun intentional). I can only assume the anime's saving it for some kind of dramatic reveal, because jesus christ. I didn't think it was possible for me to be any more fascinated by her, and yet.

No the anime just decides to ignore those points without reason.
You'll see how much the anime "adapt" especially once you'll read VOL 5 & 6

Theonik

Somewhat off-topic, but another thing that annoyed me was when the Blu-Rays for the Urusei Yatsura movies got canceled in Japan. When will I be able to have Beautiful Dreamer in HD? When?
Hopefully soon. The series should be done as of this March.
I'd imagine we'll get movie re-announcements soon.

They ought to, if they still have the original masters.
They should have it. It's more laziness on their part. Like how their Sailor Moon movie DVDs are based on 2nd/3rd gen tape masters, whereas the Italian DVD is based on first generation 35mm scans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom