• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

ALfheim Online was well thought out due to how to devise a great game system to make it differ from SAO, as well as the various different races and traits there, and their territorial struggle, as well as making its tower difficult to traverse, in addition to making the story still as suspenseful as a death game of sorts. Character interactions felt more believable with teary moments being that way and just imagining the pain of not being able to win the heart of one so near due to relationship developing outside of an area you had control over, it was painful.

I agree with you re: Sugu's feelings, at least (though not Kirito because he's a dunce), but I got none of that stuff out of the setting of Alfheim, at least as portrayed in the show. In-show how seriously characters take the game and its internal fiction is heavily undermined by the fact that it's far more apparent that it is just a game to the majority of players. Alfheim being a game to most of its inhabitants should've been played up more, but instead it was treated as serious business (the make-believe racism and politics was so stiflingly moronic it was hard to be invested in any of it) and the show suffered for it.

Tuck

Swort Art Online had a ton of problems. The concept was interesting enough, had a nice art style and some solid action. But then it gets into some weird waifu shit and everything goes downhill. And even before that, it seemed like every girl in the game wanted Kirito's dick really badly, though I wasn't too bothered by it when I watched the show.

My big issue with SAO is that Alfheim and everything after should not exist. Its stupid in both concept and execution. Why on Earth should I give a fuck about Alfheim? They have this subplot about different factions and Kirito gets involved but why the fuck should I care? We barely get to see any of that world, Kirito honestly doesn't give a fuck about it and is only there to same his girlfriend, magic is lame, all of the characters from season 1 got the boot - its just awful.

At least with Aincrad, had they developed it fully and given it time, it could have been amazing. We could have spent the entire show there, and we should have. That whole Sachi nonsense could have been done over an entire season so we actually have reason to care about her. They could have built up to a proper climax rather than just throwing an ending out of the blue just to end it faster.

So in short: Alfheim is unforgivingly stupid, the fanservice was awful (Tentacle scene was shameful), waifu shit was horrible and Aincrad was rushed.

Jintor

I was actually kind of enjoying the bits early in Aincrad where Kirito was basically being Batman and showing up in other people's short stories. It's a good narrative device I rarely see used in anime.

iavi

I need to get in touch with Masayuki Ishikawa, somehow. Tell him more culo more sales. I need dat third season of Moyashimon.

Narag

At least with Aincrad, had they developed it fully and given it time, it could have been amazing. We could have spent the entire show there, and we should have. That whole Sachi nonsense could have been done over an entire season so we actually have reason to care about her. They could have built up to a proper climax rather than just throwing an ending out of the blue just to end it faster.

This is the peril of adaptation, I think. Aincrad is pretty straightforward adaptation-wise aside from inserting some short story stuff early on to better help develop the world. Wholesale rewrites would be nice to make things flow better but I figure there's all sorts of issues there, be it artistic integrity of the original work or failing to give the fans what they want and move discs/manga/LNs.

Quasar

I agree with you re: Sugu's feelings, at least (though not Kirito because he's a dunce), but I got none of that stuff out of the setting of Alfheim, at least as portrayed in the show. In-show how seriously characters take the game and its internal fiction is heavily undermined by the fact that it's far more apparent that it is just a game to the majority of players. Alfheim being a game to most of its inhabitants should've been played up more, but instead it was treated as serious business (the make-believe racism and politics was so stiflingly moronic it was hard to be invested in any of it) and the show suffered for it.

Yeah. I found Alfheim as a setting boring as anything.

As for Kirito/Sugu...I think the idea of a characters having feelings for each other in the avatar relationship, could be an interesting if tragic story. In fact Tolkien did such a thing in the Silmarillion though in that case one of the siblings was an amnesiac and the siblings hadn't met.

Yozakura Quartet HNU pandered to me in almost every way possible and therefore maintained its exellence throughout. Ryo-timo please save us for another season!

cajunator

Banned
Yeah. I found Alfheim as a setting boring as anything.

As for Kirito/Sugu...I think the idea of a characters having feelings for each other in the avatar relationship, could be an interesting if tragic story. In fact Tolkien did such a thing in the Silmarillion though in that case one of the siblings was an amnesiac and the siblings hadn't met.

The whole setting in the show was boring and terrible. Maybe Im just not an mmorpg fan but such lack of imagination. Accel World was more creative.

Mature

Urusei Yatsura - 12-17
Loved the Mendou introduction episode. I feel like he'll mesh with the rest of the cast well. He's also exceedingly Rumic. I'm starting to see a few episodes that feel a little bit less inspired and produced than others— which I'm guessing belong in the pot of episodes madp was warning about— though they're still great on average. I really dig the dead pan, sort of non-punchline endings they sometimes throw out. Notably the episode involving Lum seeing if Mendou or Ataru were more compatible that concluded with their entire class turning into star constellations. Good stuff. Still feels like the show has great momentum.

I guess I should be more clear there. when I said believable, I meant that the characters felt like they behaved correctly for the universe they were in. This was done exceptionally well for the first 14 episodes when there was a real risk and I felt like the characters (background characters too) acted like any person would when put in that situation.

Damn those beat testers, yeah they share information with us and are stuck in the same boat as we are but they're dirty rotten cheaters

I've already accept I'm going to die in the game and attempt to commit suicide, so instead of just being happy to be alive and living it town I continue to go on adventures with my friends and pre-record christmas cards because I know I'm going to die sooner or later

Oh hey I know that's a trap, better not let them know it'll probably get them killed or else it'll reveal that I'm a higher leveled beater, oh wait they activated the trap and died... there was nothing I could do

Some random guy walks into my shop, breaks my best sword, and takes me on an adventure with him. Despite the fact I do jobs for people all the time I KNOW he's special and I love him... oh wait my BFF is seeing him better make him an EXCLUSIVE client while crying behind a bridge that the guy I've known for a day is in love with someone else

My wife was getting more confident in this video game and stopped being my perfect trophy wife so I paid people to kill her so she can live in my memories forever

A women isn't something you own *4 episodes later is a thing characters fight over... and 4 episodes after that is literally a trophy wife in a cage*

I made a death game which killed almost 4000 people because... I don't remember lolol

Jintor

I can't believe the villain from part 1 got his crimes basically glossed over, and then came back in part 2 as the macguffin that gave kirito superpowers

I can't believe the villain from part 1 got his crimes basically glossed over, and then came back in part 2 as the macguffin that gave kirito superpowers

And was basically glorified for what he did, not by the new antagonist but by the main protagonist.............................................

If there was one good thing that watching SAO did to me, it was that it made me appreciate Log Horizon so much more.

Yeah while the series didn't have that many action scenes like SAO.It used world building and character development to make you feel for the world there in and the characters. Which is why I feel Log Horizon was executed much properly than SAO, and it blended comedy, action, and politics so much better. In the long run it was better.

You just don't comprehend how anti heroes work. He had to Kiritsugu everyone because the blood of the innocent was enough to save the world by bathing Kirito in sweet child blood that gave him the strength to win.

Quasar

The whole setting in the show was boring and terrible. Maybe Im just not an mmorpg fan but such lack of imagination. Accel World was more creative.

Well I thought that whole show was crap. The only positive was that it allowed a short fat kid to be the protagonist.

Wow this place turned into a warzone.

We should talk about less divide-y and or bad shows, like Valvrave or Attack on Titan.

Nah better to light the fire with more of the same things anime fans always argue round and round about, like that FMA 03 is garbage compared to FMA:B or that Kill La Kill and Space Dandy are two of the best anime in recent years that are saving anime

:p

Clov

I need to get in touch with Masayuki Ishikawa, somehow. Tell him more culo more sales. I need dat third season of Moyashimon.

You have no idea how happy I am to discover that I'm not the only fan of Moyashimon. I love that show so much.

Damn those beat testers, yeah they share information with us and are stuck in the same boat as we are but they're dirty rotten cheaters

I've already accept I'm going to die in the game and attempt to commit suicide, so instead of just being happy to be alive and living it town I continue to go on adventures with my friends and pre-record christmas cards because I know I'm going to die sooner or later

Oh hey I know that's a trap, better not let them know it'll probably get them killed or else it'll reveal that I'm a higher leveled beater, oh wait they activated the trap and died... there was nothing I could do

Some random guy walks into my shop, breaks my best sword, and takes me on an adventure with him. Despite the fact I do jobs for people all the time I KNOW he's special and I love him... oh wait my BFF is seeing him better make him an EXCLUSIVE client while crying behind a bridge that the guy I've known for a day is in love with someone else

My wife was getting more confident in this video game and stopped being my perfect trophy wife so I paid people to kill her so she can live in my memories forever

A women isn't something you own *4 episodes later is a thing characters fight over... and 4 episodes after that is literally a trophy wife in a cage*

I made a death game which killed almost 4000 people because... I don't remember lolol

The best part is when kirito says Hitler did nothing wrong.

cajunator

Banned
Well I thought that whole show was crap. The only positive was that it allowed a short fat kid to be the protagonist.

Accel World is happysquee awesome. Kuroyukihime is one of the greatest characters ever.

Yozakura Quartet HNU pandered to me in almost every way possible and therefore maintained its exellence throughout. Ryo-timo please save us for another season!

It was pretty good. Mostly cause of Ao and how very much I love her but it was quite fun to watch!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nah better to light the fire with more of the same things anime fans always argue round and round about, like that FMA 03 is garbage compared to FMA:B or that Kill La Kill and Space Dandy are two of the best anime in recent years that are saving anime

:p

This season seems to be Ping Pong that is making people lose their minds.

That's sort of the problem with the entirety of SAO, truth be told. It'd be easy for people to simply dismiss it, had it not attracted intrigue on its premise alone.

Cool concepts - executed badly. Oh so badly.

All the more reason to dislike it, it has incredible potential which is wasted or ruind episode by episode.

Quasar

I saw a few pictures and wondered where the back grounds were and why the characters looked unfinished and decided it was clearly not a show for me

That's pretty much why I barely made it through episode one. Meanwhile I'm fine with how Baby Steps looks, which everyone else seems to rage about.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

This isn't even taking into account the pacing problems, which are numerous and glaring. Like the fact literally half of the first episode is exposition that has no relevance to literally anything. It's 15 minutes of exposition on a topic that doesn't matter in the slightest.

This isn't even taking into account the pacing problems, which are numerous and glaring. Like the fact literally half of the first episode is exposition that has no relevance to literally anything. It's 15 minutes of exposition on a topic that doesn't matter in the slightest.

But if you didn't have the 15 minutes of exposition then you'd have no idea how the characters were able to pull off such amazing attacks in a VRMMORPG!

Not really about plot, Ping Pong is about the characters, also the animation is better.

I mean either way Ping Pong is still a sports anime about ping pong which is one of those fun for 5 minute things you do in the basement then get bored and go do something else.

But if you didn't have the 15 minutes of exposition then you'd have no idea how the characters were able to pull off such amazing attacks in a VRMMORPG!

I mean either way Ping Pong is still a sports anime about ping pong which is one of those fun for 5 minute things you do in the basement then get bored and go do something else.

This misconception again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom