• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Lisbeth - a character that told the protagonist that she loved him, roughly 15 minutes after they first met.

I hate myself for knowing that.

NEVER ENOUGH LISBEST

(Do any of yall have problems with gaf mobile not posting your comments sometimes? I have to resend stuff often.)

That's usually when I've posted within the past 60 seconds, mobile gaf doesn't have the ability to tell you "you must wait XX seconds to post again" so it just takes you back to the thread without actually posting

Narag

Hard to be the best character when outside of the OP you only appear in 2-3 episodes the entire 25 episode series... but are considered part of the harem

small business owner, leveled a proper crafting skill rather than something terrible like cooking, helped the war effort with her goods and services. Competition was what? a cousin, a loli & her dragon, a dead girl, and a damsel in distress. only real competition for best girl would be Klein which I would back if push came to shove

small business owner, leveled a proper crafting skill rather than something terrible like cooking, helped the war effort with her goods and services. Competition was what? a cousin, a loli & her dragon, a dead girl, and a damsel in distress. only real competition for best girl would be Klein which I would back if push came to shove

What good is a waifu that can craft once we're back in the real world? Cooking is top tier skill for a real waifu candidate, second only to her PLOT level

Why am I having this conversation lol

Mokoi

Banned
NEVER ENOUGH LISBEST

(Do any of yall have problems with gaf mobile not posting your comments sometimes? I have to resend stuff often.)

Nope but I wish their was a preview post option for mobile. Also all this talk about sword art, and still no post of best character.

uRwflBsl.jpg

Jintor

+1

Asuna was okay up until the point where she got damsel'd.

It would've been really cool if she legit escaped and jackass mcraperdude spent the entire time trying to find her while Kirito's charging up the tree. Would've been a nice subversion.

Narag

What good is a waifu that can craft once we're back in the real world? Cooking is top tier skill for a real waifu candidate, second only to her PLOT level

Why am I having this conversation lol

not getting back to the real world without those weapons and armor. asuna's cooking was just her believing the effort was futile and desperately grasping for what once was

Jintor

Sword Art Online: Season 1

Still love Sword Art Online. I feel like the hate I've heard for it is just completely overblown. When I finished, I just had to put it on my favourites list on Hummingbird. Its a well thought out series, the story is interesting, the action is amazing, the characters felt believable, and the series just lends itself amazingly well in bringing out almost every single emotion there is. Watching this, I've felt excited, happy, depressed, hyped and I even shed tears at a couple points. Now I have to get my friend to watch this as he was turned away from what the Internet has said about it.

I honestly can't wait for Season 2 in the summer!

Your enjoyment depresses me

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling

not getting back to the real world without those weapons and armor. asuna's cooking was just her believing the effort was futile and desperately grasping for what once was

Now to be fair in some games cooking as actually a really potent ability to not only restore health and magic, but to give stat boosts for upcoming battles... okay maybe it's just Tales series (especially Graces f/Xillia) but it's not a complete garbage skill. Of course in SAO the most important skills are ones that make gary stu more awesome so crafting and super secret skills like duel wielding

Your enjoyment depresses me

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling

No trolling. I enjoyed watching the series and I felt it wasn't all that bad. Even the cousin thing felt more tailored down that I initially expected upon seeing her character come episode 15, not that it matters considering how Kirito himself has pretty much shown that he'll be with Asuna

Better watch out you'll join the list of shunned on AnimeGAF for talk like that.
haha, I felt that would happen upon posting my impressions

Jintor

No trolling. I enjoyed watching the series and I felt it wasn't all that bad. Even the cousin thing felt more tailored down that I initially expected upon seeing her character come episode 15, not that it matters considering how Kirito himself has pretty much shown that he'll be with Asuna

Well, I can't and don't intend to detract from your enjoyment, but I legitimately think SAO is a terrible show, even moreso because it can probably be accurately described as 'not all that bad' at least relative to the truly abhorrent stuff. There's so much in it that I think is just plain bad writing/setup/execution, leaving aside the stuff that I think is inherently problematic in terms of themes or philosophy or the message it conveys to viewers.

On a separate topic, I feel like Cruel Angel's Thesis isn't sufficiently Cruel unless it's jaunty and upbeat as fuck

I can get some praise for SAO, but not that it's story is "well thought out" or that the characters felt "believable". Sorry those are both just factually wrong

Jintor

The funny thing is I'd probably be okay with the Sugu cousin-incest thing if they actually executed on it in an interesting way, but what with all the unneeded boob shots, her being 15, Kirito basically ignoring her for 80% of the arc and then dealing really weirdly with her when he realises she's Leafa, it just comes across as even creepier than you'd think. Which is an achievement.

Lurky

The funny thing is I'd probably be okay with the Sugu cousin-incest thing if they actually executed on it in an interesting way, but what with all the unneeded boob shots, her being 15, Kirito basically ignoring her for 80% of the arc and then dealing really weirdly with her when he realises she's Leafa, it just comes across as even creepier than you'd think. Which is an achievement.

Believable characters.

lol

Jintor

Though this kind of thing is why I can't knock Brandil for bemoaning the existence of Nisekoi without being a huge hypocrite, lol.

Quasar

Well that whole second arc was full of disappointment.

I don't think the show is inherently bad though, but then still genuinely like the first arc.

iavi

I can get some praise for SAO, but not that it's story is "well thought out" or that the characters felt "believable". Sorry those are both just factually wrong

For a little preface; I enjoyed SOA. I'll be the first to come up with some bullshit to defend it in some manner when these discussions come up and I'm so inclined, but, I agree, 'believable' it ain't. There's nothing grounded about it--not that there needs to be.

It's like Code Geass: Stupid fun that falls apart as soon as you get too critical with it. There's merit to that.

First arc had lovey dovey cheese that I genuinely enjoyed. Then I learned the show will pull a Monogatari with the girlfriend so now I am so uninterested. This fucking desire to keep the harem bothers me so much.

Jintor

At least one of my problems from SAO comes from the fact that it doesn't really seem very self aware of how absurdly creepy it can be, either in execution or in story.

One of the more tolerable episodes is a perfectly alright murder mystery episode where Kirito and Asuna team up and are generally okay throughout, though it's a pretty mediocre mystery since it relies on rules that are only explained the moment they become plot relevant instead of being set-up beforehand. But still, it's relatively unoffensive, until:

SAO%20butt-620x.jpg

I have no problem with fanservice shots in a premise, series or situation that either justifies it or is kind of inherently lewd so you know it's going to happen, but this is so stupid and out of place it really, really irritates me. It's not Kirito's gaze - he's focused on the mystery. There's no other characters around. There's no reason for the camera angle or the detailed buttocks other than someone decided "This is the best way for us to place the camera while bits of the plot are being labourously explained".

I thought SAO had good ideas, but the amount of extra material and backtracking he did post writing it does suggest that the story, in the SAO arc had areas that could have used some work, oh well, progressive does fill some areas and give a bit more.

ALfheim Online was well thought out due to how to devise a great game system to make it differ from SAO, as well as the various different races and traits there, and their territorial struggle, as well as making its tower difficult to traverse, in addition to making the story still as suspenseful as a death game of sorts. Character interactions felt more believable with teary moments being that way and just imagining the pain of not being able to win the heart of one so near due to relationship developing outside of an area you had control over, it was painful.

cajunator

Banned
That's usually when I've posted within the past 60 seconds, mobile gaf doesn't have the ability to tell you "you must wait XX seconds to post again" so it just takes you back to the thread without actually posting

ohhhhh shit I never thought of that!

You got great taste mr Narag-san.

Kazzy

Got to admit though, that the first Opening of SAO was great.

That's sort of the problem with the entirety of SAO, truth be told. It'd be easy for people to simply dismiss it, had it not attracted intrigue on its premise alone.

Cool concepts - executed badly. Oh so badly.

For a little preface; I enjoyed SOA. I'll be the first to come up with some bullshit to defend it in some manner when these discussions come up and I'm so inclined, but, I agree, 'believable' it ain't. There's nothing grounded about it--not that there needs to be.

It's like Code Geass: Stupid fun that falls apart as soon as you get too critical with it. There's merit to that.

Code Geass in particular S2 is pretty terrible in terms of how poorly written and thought out the plot is and how characters start acting completely out of character to create drama and twist, but yeah it's an incredibly entertaining train wreck.

I've said before I think the second half of SAO is better then the first half simply because it seems like the team was in on how much of a joke the series was and just attempted to make it more and more ridiculous each week. Yes the first game had a way better set up and concept, but that clearly wasn't important as the series instead chose to focus on waifu and playing house with your new wife and daughter which made it far less interesting to watch.

For a little preface; I enjoyed SOA. I'll be the first to come up with some bullshit to defend it in some manner when these discussions come up and I'm so inclined, but 'believable' it ain't. There's nothing grounded about it--not that there needs to be.

I guess I should be more clear there. when I said believable, I meant that the characters felt like they behaved correctly for the universe they were in. This was done exceptionally well for the first 14 episodes when there was a real risk and I felt like the characters (background characters too) acted like any person would when put in that situation.

For the second half of the show, we weren't really introduced to nearly as many characters, and for the ones that did, they played their roll of being people who were just out to have a good time. I will agree that the first half is much, much better; but I feel like its weird to shame the entire show for the second half which was not only shorter than the first half, but was still good in its own ways.

At least one of my problems from SAO comes from the fact that it doesn't really seem very self aware of how absurdly creepy it can be, either in execution or in story.

One of the more tolerable episodes is a perfectly alright murder mystery episode where Kirito and Asuna team up and are generally okay throughout, though it's a pretty mediocre mystery since it relies on rules that are only explained the moment they become plot relevant instead of being set-up beforehand. But still, it's relatively unoffensive, until:

[IM]http://www.japanator.com/ul/_japanator/25874-annotated-anime-summer-2012-week-6/SAO%20butt-620x.jpg[/IMG]

I have no problem with fanservice shots in a premise, series or situation that either justifies it or is kind of inherently lewd so you know it's going to happen, but this is so stupid and out of place it really, really irritates me. It's not Kirito's gaze - he's focused on the mystery. There's no other characters around. There's no reason for the camera angle or the detailed buttocks other than someone decided "This is the best way for us to place the camera while bits of the plot are being labourously explained".

Out of place fan service brings down good shows as well. Like yozakura quartet. Also no game no life would be a better show if it didn't have any fan service.

Tenumi

Banned
The only good things about SAO were pre-character destruction Asuna, and the OST.

So many story issues, so many character issues, and so many... mental issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom