• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Fresh Pretty Cure! 01 - 13

Once I got caught up on HapCha, I've started working my way through Fresh. It's p. good. So far my two favorite episodes are Tarte and Buki bodyswapping and the "LOL Everybody Gets a Wig" episode.

w6CmlOf.jpg
ECrlIqe.jpg

TYqz9Kw.jpg
vySPbQK.png

Superflat

There is a disturbing lack of Isshuukan Friends and Jojo in this list. The former especially, since your assessment of GochiUsa would seem to indicate that you have a strong appreciation for adorable things.

Shit, totally forgot to mention Isshukan Friends! It was a premise that was destined to be repetitive and emotionally manipulative, but it turned into one of the most diverse and interesting collection of episodes this season. Gotta edit this into my post, thanks!

As for Jojo, it's a show I never got started on, sadly. I heard great things about the last season from a few friends but I never got around to it. Is the currently running Jojo an okay place to start?

Shit, totally forgot to mention Isshukan Friends! It was a premise that was destined to be repetitive and emotionally manipulative, but it turned into one of the most diverse and interesting collection of episodes this season. Gotta edit this into my post, thanks!

As for Jojo, it's a show I never got started on, sadly. I heard great things about the last season from a few friends but I never got around to it. Is the currently running Jojo an okay place to start?

You could start there if you really wanted to, but I'd suggest starting from the beginning. You don't want to miss Battle Tendency anyway.

Midonin

No Game No Life 06

Haven't seen a shiritori game that intense since Kitakubu. Jibirl is a lot of fun. Yukarin abandoned the weird speaking pattern pretty quickly, but she still looks like a fun foil to Sora and Shiro. Though a lot of the episode had nudity, it never felt lewd, exactly. Probably because with the threat of death hanging over everyone's head via the magic of vocabulary, there's no time for that. Steph being teased is still funny, and Western memes have somehow made their way into anime once again. At this rate it won't be too long before Doge shows up in an anime.

cnet128

Banned

It's certainly possible to start with the latest series, since the show is divided into very distinct arcs each with an almost entirely new cast, but I'd say a significant part of the fun of Jojo is in watching how it progresses from generation to generation, so I wouldn't recommend it.

At any rate, the first season is tons of fun and really easy to blaze through, so I'd recommend checking it out from the beginning.

Gbraga

I really need to catch up, I finished D-Frag last sunday, but I haven't been watching anything other than Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san, Mangaka-san and Nisekoi because of Dark Souls II, I wanna watch more stuff >_>

The fact that Nobunaga the Fool is next probably doesn't help a lot.

iDOLM@STER games are more important. Why Namco?

I just saw the thread on gaming side and now I weep. ;__;

Which thread?

Superflat

You could start there if you really wanted to, but I'd suggest starting from the beginning. You don't want to miss Battle Tendency anyway.

It's certainly possible to start with the latest series, since the show is divided into very distinct arcs each with an almost entirely new cast, but I'd say a significant part of the fun of Jojo is in watching how it progresses from generation to generation, so I wouldn't recommend it.

At any rate, the first season is tons of fun and really easy to blaze through, so I'd recommend checking it out from the beginning.

Ah I see, thanks! It's one of those shows where I don't have any expectations/see the appeal because I have no idea what it is. Sounds like it'll be a fun ride.

This cover art is dope
pnfzqWR.png

I was going to be disappointed by anything less than a lavish box set :U
It would be one of the few complete blu ray sets out there I would actually buy.

Man, Aku no Hana deserved more :[

cajunator

Banned
It's a reference to the first Sukeban Deka Kurita

In fact, the heading there says "CSI: Sukeban"

The OVA is one of the first anime I ever watched way back when.

Ah I see, thanks! It's one of those shows where I don't have any expectations/see the appeal because I have no idea what it is. Sounds like it'll be a fun ride.

It would be one of the few complete blu ray sets out there I would actually buy.

Be happy that its even coming at all. Did you actually expect this show of all things to even get licensed? I didnt.

Clov

I see what you mean, but at the same time I can't imagine any other North American anime company even bringing it over. Box set or not, it's a small miracle we're even getting it.

The cover looks very nice, at least.

Gbraga

[thread=705598]iM@S One For All thread just reminding me it'll never come out here.[/thread] Guess I'll just have to give up and play it with a guide.

I wonder why they don't even bother with products such as this. If Akiba's Trip and Conception II are worth being localized, I can't imagine that something like this or Oreimo would be a big failure.

Is it a problem with licenses?

Theonik

I wonder why they don't even bother with products such as this. If Akiba's Trip and Conception II are worth being localized, I can't imagine that something like this or Oreimo would be a big failure.

My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute for the US Market.

Clov

In Idolmaster's case, it might have to do with licensing the songs, or the huge amount of DLC.

In OreImo's case it's likely that the cost of the license itself is expensive, and there's too little demand to justify it.

Gbraga

My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute for the US Market.

:C

If only I got the chance to play those games, I can assure you I wouldn't make the same terrible mistakes Kyousuke made. He's a terrible person.

In Idolmaster's case, it might have to do with licensing the songs, or the huge amount of DLC.

In OreImo's case it's likely that the cost of the license itself is expensive, and there's too little demand to justify it.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the answer.

OceanBlue

[thread=705598]iM@S One For All thread just reminding me it'll never come out here.[/thread] Guess I'll just have to give up and play it with a guide.

Oh shit, there are thread tags?

I feel your pain. I wish iM@S 2 didn't auto-scroll through the text, because at least then I could kanji dictionary my way through lol.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Fresh Pretty Cure! 01 - 13

Once I got caught up on HapCha, I've started working my way through Fresh. It's p. good. So far my two favorite episodes are Tarte and Buki bodyswapping and the "LOL Everybody Gets a Wig" episode.

wig ep is one of the all time precure GOATs

Soriku

I'm up to episode 21 of Ippo Rising now. I still think most matches are merely decent (I like the comedy episodes better!), but the Takamura vs. Eagle fight is really good. I even like it more than Takamura vs. Hawk, despite that battle having much more buildup. This was the first time I wanted the "enemy" to win, save maybe Aoki vs. Imae. I really like Eagle's character, and while Takamura is awesome too, he can be the devil sometimes lol.

I laughed hard at Takamura's barrage with his voice actor growling and Eagle's "Jesus!" in episode 20. I felt bad for him at that point.

Clov

I just finished watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's probably one of the best OVA series I've ever seen. I had put it off for so long since I was intimidated by its length, but in the end it only took me two weeks to finish.

I'll admit, even though my favorite characters were already dead by the end, the last episode still made me cry. It was quite an emotional experience. The way Felix reaches up trying to grasp the stars at the end really sums up the series for me, and was a perfect place to end on.

Next I'll probably watch Nana, since I watched Paradise Kiss a few weeks ago and loved it.

Jex

alright, im not gonna attempt to get everything, but here's the main stuff:

Last thought: Beyond any other, if there is one reason that explains why AO is so, so, so much worse of a show, I think it falls down to one thing: It's a show about nothing, it has hints of being about something but it never follows up on them. Eureka on the other hand is about so much and is full of meaning and comes off as genuine regarding all of it.
Thanks for your time.

Regarding your last point, far too many shows are essentially "about nothing" and that fact, more often than not, completely robs them of any weight or gravitas.

Jex

Yeah thats where I remembered that from.

The OP itself is good, and the sense of movement is incredible, especially the part where they are falling and move out of the way of gunfire, but yeesh, they last image is just an eyesore that I can't believe they never replaced.

Utsunomiya also did that one episode of Aquarion that was pretty awesome.

Right, it's a pretty great OP (although I don't like the music for that particular opening as much as I do the other openings) but that image is a slap on the face. As it's not animation I really do feel like they should have corrected it eventually.

Link Man

Banned
Thanks for your time.

Regarding your last point, far too many shows are essentially "about nothing" and that fact, more often than not, completely robs them of any weight or gravitas.

I think this is one of the main reasons I'm a bit lukewarm in regards to Bunny Cafe. Sure, it's cute, but nothing really happens. I do enjoy Slice of Life, but the characters are a big draw in those shows, and I don't really feel like the characters in that show are really memorable.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So one week after I had to drop Chaika, it's basically confirmed that it'll be one of the few LNs to get a full adaptation.

Fantastic.
Chaika is one of the better shows of the season. This is your chance to drop whatever other dumb stuff you're watching instead.

Jex

I think this is one of the main reasons I'm a bit lukewarm in regards to Bunny Cafe. Sure, it's cute, but nothing really happens. I do enjoy Slice of Life, but the characters are a big draw in those shows, and I don't really feel like the characters in that show are really memorable.

That's a slightly different topic from what I was talking about.

You're talking about a fairly wide variety of shows, often dubbed "Slice of Life", that don't really feature plots with dramatic arcs, that don't feature conflict or any of the stuff associated with traditional storytelling. As you say, how invested you can be in such works depends upon your attachment to the characters and setting and whether or not you're happy to just experience the mundanity of their lives without anything traditionally "interesting" happening.

What I'm talking about stories which are "about nothing" in a thematic level. In other words, they feature all the elements of a normal dramatic story (character development, conflict, etc) but lack any substance or message. They aren't interested in exploring any interesting ideas, they're vapid and empty. Eureka Seven is ostensibly a mecha action series with a strong relationship/romance element but it's also interested in discussion other topics namely humanities relationship with the environment, with each other, the consequences of violence, the nature of war etc etc. It may not explore all those ideas equally but they're all present within the text to a degree where you can easily identify them and recognise that the show is bringing something to the table, it actually wants to discuss important stuff. It's not just another mecha show where the chosen protagonist has to fight the bad guys in his sweet robot.

There's nothing wrong with simple, shallow shows. When they're done well I enjoy them immensely. But the problem with shows that attempt to very dense and full of ideas but are essentially completely empty from a thematic standpoint is that they aren't very interesting and it's hard to care about them. The case in point was AO, a series brimming with ideas and concepts and story but which was essentially a mess with nothing to support it.

Trickster

No Game No Life - 6

"Hydrogen Bomb"
well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Love this show. Each episode is just highly entertaining thanks to the characters and things that happen

Link Man

Banned
That's a slightly different topic from what I was talking about.

You're talking about a fairly wide variety of shows, often dubbed "Slice of Life", that don't really feature plots with dramatic arcs, that don't feature conflict or any of the stuff associated with traditional storytelling. As you say, how invested you can be in such works depends upon your attachment to the characters and setting and whether or not you're happy to just experience the mundanity of their lives without anything traditionally "interesting" happening.

What I'm talking about stories which are "about nothing" in a thematic level. In other words, they feature all the elements of a normal dramatic story (character development, conflict, etc) but lack any substance or message. They aren't interested in exploring any interesting ideas, they're vapid and empty. Eureka Seven is ostensibly a mecha action series with a strong relationship/romance element but it's also interested in discussion other topics namely humanities relationship with the environment, with each other, the consequences of violence, the nature of war etc etc. It may not explore all those ideas equally but they're all present within the text to a degree where you can easily identify them and recognise that the show is bringing something to the table, it actually wants to discuss important stuff. It's not just another mecha show where the chosen protagonist has to fight the bad guys in his sweet robot.

There's nothing wrong with simple, shallow shows. When they're done well I enjoy them immensely. But the problem with shows that attempt to very dense and full of ideas but are essentially completely empty from a thematic standpoint is that they aren't very interesting and it's hard to care about them. The case in point was AO, a series brimming with ideas and concepts and story but which was essentially a mess with nothing to support it.

Oh, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

I'm starting to wonder if Captain Earth is falling into the trap that you've outlined above. But that show does have some fun characters.

Articalys

If I could have confidence that having the twist last week spoiled for me WON'T ruin the premise of the rest of the show, then I'd be able to pick it back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom