• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
I actually hate how us companies replace the Japanese text on op/eds with English. More often then not they degrade the presentation with ugly fonts and terrible placement.

cnet128

Banned
Hitsugi no Chaika 6

Satisfying resolution to the Great Chaika Exchange Conundrum. Reinforced that White Chaika is clearly the superior Chaika. I feel extra invested in this show now that we know its story is going to actually reach its ending point within the foreseeable future instead of leaving us hanging indefinitely like so many of its ilk.

Hope we meet more Chaikas soon.

I actually hate how us companies replace the Japanese text on op/eds with English. More often then not they degrade the presentation with ugly fonts and terrible placement.

Funimation makes the font way too large, and then they keep the lyrics of the op and ed on it, making it even worst of an experience :(

Chaika 6

As awesome as red Chaika is, white Chaika is still the best. Dragoon cat loli is also cool too but I hope she starts wrecking shit like I thought she would be since she joined the party.

Great news about this getting a second season as well. Hopefully the first season isn't too crazy of a cliffhanger.

Black Bullet 6

Kisara wants the D real bad. Loled at "Ayn Rand" though.

duckroll

Chaika 6

As awesome as red Chaika is, white Chaika is still the best. Dragoon cat loli is also cool too but I hope she starts wrecking shit like I thought she would be since she joined the party.

Great news about this getting a second season as well. Hopefully the first season isn't too crazy of a cliffhanger.

You need to be patient. This will likely be paced exactly like Scrapped Princess. The writer didn't put a dragoon in the party for nothing, but for now I guess she's mostly for comic relief. We'll almost certainly get some real dragoon action by the end of this season though. :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
HeartCatch Precure 17

Daifuku is serious business.
Also nice to see Yuri get involved in the fighting a bit more. Can't wait to see her become Cure Moonlight again.

You need to be patient. This will likely be paced exactly like Scrapped Princess. The writer didn't put a dragoon in the party for nothing, but for now I guess she's mostly for comic relief. We'll almost certainly get some real dragoon action by the end of this season though. :)
If it's like scrapped princess she'll be largely absent until some big epic battle where she'll stop being uncaring.

Jex

Disagree strongly with this. Credit text is part of what makes an opening and ending work as part of an episode. Clean OP/EDs are just music videos and have no place being part of an episode. It's just something you watch on its own. Also, some OP/EDs have really clever typography! :p

Credit text is just an overlay over a music video anyway. I already know who worked on the show, thanks.
I agree with this though. It's disgusting.

Chaika 6

Toru's harem grows apparently. Now it includes sister, dragoon, and dual chaikas. Admittedly i liked red Chaika I wish she had joined the party, since she's the one who has made her desires for toru the Most obvious. Hopefully she appears in the show often. Without those two backing her up. Toru should ve killed them.

Link Man

Banned
Chaika 6

ibiJGMIYmIFrST.jpg

I fucking lost it. So lol.

Man, the action in this show is so great.

Theonik

Speaking of clean openings and endings I really wish that there would be a way to just set them to actually play as the actual opening and endings of the show that I'm watching. I really don't need text all over my pretty pictures!
That's relatively easy.

Gross. I probably wasn't going to buy it anyway, but that's hardly a good indication.
The release itself isn't too bad. Bitrates could be higher, seems reasonable though.
BDInfo for disk 1

But I want it nooowwwwwwwwwww :(

Ah well, I'll just settle with shapeshifting for now. She does a great Akari.

Jex

[Cowboy Bebop - 13]

Well, watching this in Japanese has been informative. There seems to be a pretty important script change for no apparent reason. In the English version of this episode Gren says:

"When I came home from the war they put me in prison. They thought I was a spy. I heard it was Vicious that testified against me, I started to go crazy. So they gave me some new drug they were testing on prisoners. It was highly addictive, and the side effects? Well, my hormones went out of balance and this is what happened."

But in the Japanese he says:

"In prison I went insane from insomnia. As a result I became a drug addict. There were side effects..."

Now this change is weird for a couple of reasons. Obviously it changes the characterisation of Gren somewhat because he talks about becoming a drug addict through choice. Moreover though, it completely misses the important thematic conception of dreaming vs waking. It seems pretty important that Gren would go crazy from insomnia when you consider that Spike is a character who feels like he's never woken up from a nightmare. What an odd change.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 4
And now we know the story behind Mr. Stick-in-the-mud. I wonder if that student-turned-teacher will become a relevant character

Joe Molotov

HeartCatch Precure 16

Cobraja just keeps getting more and more fabulous. Also I noticed they changed the whole "The Heart Seed is coming out!" fairy thing to look slightly less gross. Interesting change.

Fairies are just fucking disgusting, man. In HapCha they have to rub their noses to make them sneeze out a card, in Fresh, Buki has to go all rubber glove on Chiffon to clear up her constipation. They're worse than animals.

No Game No Life 6

Apparently the show runners thought they hadn't done enough lewd do they condensed it all this episode. Honestly this show would be all the greater if it wasn't for the lewd. I can't recommend it to friends as is.

The game itself was very well done. I enjoyed the scale at the end. I also just took geology so I saw where he was going after a bit.

Also the final line in the preview gave me a smile. There's no way in hell a Japanese anime would do an arrow to the knee joke right? That must've been translators having fun.

Narag

[Cowboy Bebop - 13]

Well, watching this in Japanese has been informative. There seems to be a pretty important script change for no apparent reason. In the English version of this episode Gren says:

"When I came home from the war they put me in prison. They thought I was a spy. I heard it was Vicious that testified against me, I started to go crazy. So they gave me some new drug they were testing on prisoners. It was highly addictive, and the side effects? Well, my hormones went out of balance and this is what happened."

"In prison I went insane from insomnia. As a result I became a drug addict. There were side effects..."

Now this change is weird for a couple of reasons. Obviously it changes the characterisation of Gren somewhat because he talks about becoming a drug addict through choice. Moreover though, it completely misses the important thematic conception of dreaming vs waking. It seems pretty important that Gren would go crazy from insomnia when you consider that Spike is a character who feels like he's never woken up from a nightmare. What an odd change.

... i recall thinking Gren as something of a victim. Well that explains why.

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - 2
I think they're playing up the children's naivete a little too thick with how detached they are from the outside world. I get that it's what drives Al into a lot of the situations that he's getting himself into, but the execution of it makes it seem hard to believe that a group of kids could be totally unfazed by the hysteria of car crashes and destroyed buildings around them.

I can see the seeds of where the story wants to go with his character and why it would need to do this too. It's just that Al's side of these parallel story lines feels weirdly careless. On the flip side, that cargo ship check-in scene was tense and very well-handled.

Clov

Yeah, I hate that too. However, with a good portion of the older US anime companies gone (Central Park, Geneon, Bandai, ADV) there are less companies that bother doing this. From the releases I have from them, Sentai, Aniplex, and NISA leave the Japanese credits intact.

cnet128

Banned
No Game No Life 6

Also the final line in the preview gave me a smile. There's no way in hell a Japanese anime would do an arrow to the knee joke right? That must've been translators having fun.

I can confirm that this was a 100% literal translation and the original Japanese was indeed making a Skyrim joke.

SpASS BUTTleship Yamato 2199 12

YOU TWO MORONS STOP ARGUING, NOW GO SCRUB THE GIANT DEATH CANNON
This episode had a very nice look into the enemy planet. I really enjoy things like that.
I find it weird how the Garmillans refer to space objects as things like "Large Magellanic Cloud" and "Milky Way" when those are the INFERIOR RACE names. Did they have a Magellan too? Minor gripe.

Also:

n3bzIcK.jpg

THANK YOU XEBEC

Link Man

Banned
Black Bullet 6

Someone got Batman in my Black Bullet!

Miori vs. Kisara is more fun than it has any right to be.

Oh, you have got to be kidding me.
Having Tina miss Rentaro's name in the phone call?
That was a bit contrived.

injr58vVpcmwd.jpg

...Kamina?

I don't know, the stupid's starting to leak out of the show.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SpASS BUTTleship Yamato 2199 12

YOU TWO MORONS STOP ARGUING, NOW GO SCRUB THE GIANT DEATH CANNON
This episode had a very nice look into the enemy planet. I really enjoy things like that.
I find it weird how the Garmillans refer to space objects as things like "Large Magellanic Cloud" and "Milky Way" when those are the INFERIOR RACE names. Did they have a Magellan too? Minor gripe.

70s bro, SEVEN TEES.

Mature

Exit through the duck shop

[Cowboy Bebop - 13]

Whoa! That's a pretty big change. And the sleeping motif is indeed a big one to skip out on. I wonder if there are any other script changes like this?

jbug617

Banned
No Game No Life 6

Awesome build up through out the game. Hopefully all the games will be like this. Also I never expected a to hear a Skyrim joke in a anime I was watching.

Ryuuroden

Good things:
Ping Pong
Mushishi
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?

Decent:
Chaika
Jojo

Below Average:
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
Haikyuu!!
Mahouka Koukou
No Game No Life

Actually Bad:
Akuma no Riddle
Baby Steps
Blade & Soul
Captain Earth
Brynhildr
One Week Friends
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
Love Live
Soul Eater Not
The World is Still Beautiful

A Box Filled With Poop:
Mekaku City Actors
Nanana

Just to check how logical your likes and dislikes are. You arn't one of the people here who loves G Gundam right? Cause if you are
I'll have to disregard your ratings, lol, never listening to gaf when it comes to gundam ever again. I swear you guys just say it's good to troll people. That show was atrocious, it made me wish my eyes were bleeding from watching "bathtub rape" in victory gundam again. Anything but Golden Kancho Oven Mitt please.

Just to check how logical your likes and dislikes are. You arn't one of the people here who loves G Gundam right? Cause if you are
I'll have to disregard your ratings, lol, never listening to gaf when it comes to gundam ever again. I swear you guys just say it's good to troll people. That show was atrocious, it made me wish my eyes were bleeding from watching "bathtub rape" in victory gundam again. Anything but Golden Kancho Oven Mitt please.

ibmaWZ71fUzpyY.gif

I can confirm that this was a 100% literal translation and the original Japanese was indeed making a Skyrim joke.
Can somebody give me the showrunner's email so I can send him/her a very heartfelt response to this joke? I never thought I'd see the day an anime would make a video game joke that is so western. I have tears of happiness because "hey. I got that reference"
Black Bullet 6

Someone got Batman in my Black Bullet!

Miori vs. Kisara is more fun than it has any right to be.

Oh, you have got to be kidding me.
Having Tina miss Rentaro's name in the phone call?
That was a bit contrived.

[im]http://i.minus.com/injr58vVpcmwd.jpg[/img]
...Kamina?

I don't know, the stupid's starting to leak out of the show.
Yeah but it's so well done in everything else I can't help but keep watching. I can't quit you cletus!

Narag

FbCjPlZ.gif

But...G Gundam is the best.

Can somebody give me the showrunner'show runner's email so I can send him/her a very heartfelt response to this joke? I never thought I'd see the day an anime would make a video game joke that is so western. I have tears of happiness because "hey. I got that reference"

Yeah but it's so well done in everything else I can't help but keep watching. I can't quit you cletus!

I think Skyrim is very popular in Japan, atleast for a Western game. It's also the first Western game to get a 40/40 from Famitsu.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

My man.

G Gundam is shiiiiiiiiiitttttttt.

You should watch GBF though. Legit AOTY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom