• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

JoJo's Stardust Adventures 5

Oh, so is Avdol the origin of that "You're 10 years too early to defeat me" thing or does that go even further back?

TheRancor

Here's a real head scartcher. Most anime OP's end on a single image that lingers for a couple of additional beats. This image tends to be a pretty cool image of some kind which usually looks to encapsulate the series. It's often a high quality still e.g. the end of Eureka Seven's first OP:

http://abload.de/img/e1qqat6.png

So why in god's name does OP3 end with this:

http://abload.de/img/e2jbb0i.png
It's truly an abomination. It looks like some Korean :wonzo filler art, not something you'd use as a header image for your series. If it was just a temporary rush job with terrible faces, why didn't they fix it later. WTF, BONES?

Also, that 3rd OP header...That IS the fixed pic. LOL, it was worse before. The real reason is that the 3rd OP was pretty much single handedly made by a single animator who is very well regarded and I think out of respect they didn't alter it after it was competed. Or something. But yeah, that pic should have been redrawn by Yoshida.
Ben wrote a bit about it when it was first released http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/utsunomiya_eureka

CorvoSol

How long have you been gone?

It's more that I've been off and on like, the entire thread. I think I was near 1k posts last time. I haven't even broken 100 this time.

Getter Robo G 26

There really shouldn't be anything impressive about yet another episode of "the Dinosaur/Demon Empire turns someone close/uses someone close to the Getter Team to hurt them emotionally" episodes, but somehow when these come along they never fail to disappoint. Where once I considered the possibility that the theme was that the world and its wars corrupted and destroyed women (considering for basically the whole of Getter Robo the victims of these arcs WERE just women) I think now that it's more just humans in general, since you cannot deny the blatancy of it in this episode.

I mean, Demonic Hitler of the Armed Forces of Hell finds a young man who is already afflicted with the love of money due to his intense poverty and seduces him into becoming a demon, turning him against his good friend Hayato in the process. That's not really very subtle, now, is it?

But I don't think that subtlety is really the success nor the point of these episodes. The point is that war is a terrible thing, whether hot or cold, and that it finds every way possible to hurt and kill the ones you love. I've probably said this before, but Getter Robo is a much, much better anti-war mecha anime than Mobile Suit Gundam because it really does portray the horrors of it. Which is ironic, since the setup of Mobile Suit Gundam really should give it the advantage over Getter Robo in that regard.

The success of these kinds of episodes is in demonstrating the emotional toll it takes on our heroes. For starters, Musashi is just plain gone. That's what war does. It takes people who are good and kind and brave and it kills them in moments of fear and desperation. Ryouma was so messed up during one of these episodes that he couldn't actually fight. The death of Gora was enough to break the spirits of Emperor Gore himself, and now Hayato is at bat for the second time. As you may or may not recall, the Demon Empire took his sister's fiance away, and his death was enough of a shock that she fled Japan for good. Now Hayato has lost his childhood friend to this war, and for once cool, stoic, quiet Hayato runs crying into the night, shouting at the top of his lungs in rage and sorrow. Indeed, the depths of Hayato's sadness over the entire affair are mirrored only by the fury he feels at how deeply his friend has betrayed him.

As a side note, this episode sort of accidentally does an excellent job of portraying the time in which it took place because of the outlandish appearances of civilians (bell bottoms everywhere, fros and disco jackets and sunglasses, too) and the episode's score, which included this weird kinda Iron Butterfly sort of feeling song in it, too. I want to say it was all very 70s, but knowing my luck I'm off by when the show took place by a decade like always.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ben wrote a bit about it when it was first released http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/utsunomiya_eureka
Yeah thats where I remembered that from.

The OP itself is good, and the sense of movement is incredible, especially the part where they are falling and move out of the way of gunfire, but yeesh, they last image is just an eyesore that I can't believe they never replaced.

Utsunomiya also did that one episode of Aquarion that was pretty awesome.

I always pictured KirbPine as someone who gets a girl's name tattooed on their arm but then gets it removed in place of another one after they break his heart, except in this case Precure. Poor KirbLemonade.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The mod pass it up the chain to Evil or whatever supermods we have now.

IT'S ALL A SHAM.

cnet128

Banned
If it's in the OP, is it really a spoiler?

Ah, well, I never notice OP spoilers. (Unless they're really blatant like One Piece OP3, the worst OP spoiler of all time.) Looking at the OP again now, I can see the shot you mean, but it's not exactly obvious.

On a related note, I've been considering buying Project Diva f for Vita.

Doooo iiiiiiit

I would've bought the Vita version of Project Diva f until I found out it had touch controls.

Ruined muh day

Yeah, it's definitely the worst thing about the game, but I'd say the game is still worth it.

Thankfully, Diva F 2nd makes it optional! I switched to analog-stick mode as soon as I started the game and never looked back.

Eusis

Finally, wrapped up Jojo Battle Tendency. Even knowing what happens it's really easy to get caught up in the energy of the series. I'll get started on Stardust Crusaders later today and finally tackle some of the other current or recent anime.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
These All the Anime kickstarters suffer from one massive drawback.

They are never the shows I want and they are never £5.

Theonik

It's pretty damn obvious since like episode 2 though.

The second best girl, Hoshiiwa, who has multiple hair styles to boot (which gained her many fans)
I don't remember this!

Space Buttleship Yamato 7

How did Theonik survive this show? So much booty. Even the creepy robot skeleton has dat ass. Mopey fat guy is best, though, because he is the one ugly crew member and that is a pain like no other.
It was HARD.

Santa Claus does exist! And he doesn't just give the disappointing gift of melon pan!
iheviL6bgDnh7.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow that looks ugly. Unfortunately I don't currently have access to my personal computer so I can't look up the name of the script I use, but it looks far more elegant than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom