• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Gundam SEED - 2

I like this OP.

I hope Princess Euphemia shows up soon as she keeps appearing in the eyecatch.

One thing I didn't like about this show the first time around was the fact that there is a lot of technobabble being tossed around, and it didn't exactly do good as I was half asleep at the time.

Watching it now, I guess it's a bit more tolerable. But still...

Lacus looks like shit in the first half of the series.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 18

The fact that the Captain
decided against going around the fleet of 10,000 enemy ships, and instead drove straight through them, shooting them all the way, drove into a planet then out the other side and then blew up the planet and half the enemy fleet with their big death ray gun
just shows why he's in charge.

Strategy? Bitch please i'mma charging my laser!

Jarmel

Banned
They're probably not doing any other TV projects this year or we would have heard about it. But I do know that they also had unannounced videogame work going on, so there's that. BONES is one of the leakiest studios out there.

Funny story about that, I was at the Otakon announcement for SD. They had a Q&A before the announcement and I asked, "Excuse me, is Dai Sato working on SD?" essentially. They had no clue how to respond to that, so they gave a sort of non-answer. One of the Japanese staffers came up to me later irritated and asked how I knew about Space Dandy and Dai Sato as it was supposed to be secret. I laughed and said Twitter. They couldn't believe it.

I thought all of it was common knowledge but she was pissed. I ruined all of the surprise for the Otakon audience.

Gundam SEED - 2

I like this OP.

I hope Princess Euphemia shows up soon as she keeps appearing in the eyecatch.

One thing I didn't like about this show the first time around was the fact that there is a lot of technobabble being tossed around, and it didn't exactly do good as I was half asleep at the time.

Watching it now, I guess it's a bit more tolerable. But still...

Are you not watching the HD Remaster?

Worst character designer in the business.

I love reading the comments on his MAL page that say that they love his character designs because they all look the same and then from that, they can know that he's involved with a show.

I didn't think that designing all of your characters to look the same could've been turned into a positive but now, I stand corrected.

Stage On

Sailor moon episode one

Man it's so weird watching this in Japanese for the first time. The voices are nice but the soundtrack just feels all wrong, especially when she transforms and preforms her special attack, it's nowhere near as catchy as the old dub version was.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sailor moon episode one

Man it's so weird watching this in Japanese for the first time. The voices are nice but the soundtrack just feels all wrong, especially when she transforms and preforms her special attack, it's nowhere near as catchy as the old dub version was.
If you're not thrilled at the stock music in s1, wait till R.

I seriously can't tell if you guys are joking or not.
Well i'm not joking , i'm 100% serious
I like yuri .... a lot

Gotta do better?
Viz has committed many atrocities.

Well a full moon wo sagashite blu-ray release is not enough for me to forgive This "viz" company.

Well, they've narrowed the Sword Art Online Award votes down to the finalists for each category, so you've got a month to make your final selections.

http://www.swordart-online.net/SAOA/en/

ah ahah ah

BEST LINE:

Oberon

"Ahh! Yummy! How sweet!"
If you guys don't vote for this one something is wrong.

-----------------
Puchimas!! - 43
How does iori send a post card if she is stuck on a deserted island ?

Just saying ....

Articalys

is this satire?
It's just something fun for the fans of the show while waiting for season two.

If it makes any of you feel at all better, I should tell you that Klein is still in the running for best male character, his outfit for best costume, and his "You have to stay alive until the end" speech from episode 3 for best dialogue.

Well, they've narrowed the Sword Art Online Award votes down to the finalists for each category, so you've got a month to make your final selections.

http://www.swordart-online.net/SAOA/en/

Surprised there were a sizeable crowd to choose Sakuya's SLyph costume, or even put up the Teleport Crystal as a best designed equipment.

I hope Luminous Sword goes for best song, and Elucidator for best weapon, The Corridor scene for best battle, , gleam eyes for best monster, and the imouto confession scene for best line.

Hattori

Banned
He really is. There is zero imagination to his work.
YSsRJj7.jpg

SEED's got nothing on the FAB Five
:)

From the looks of things, it appears I should have gone with Wing first, lol.

But I'll stick with SEED for now though, because from what I've heard, Wing is more of a team of five guys wrecking shit while SEED seems to focuses more on romance later on in the story from what I've heard, and I guess I was in the mood for that kind of story instead.

I'll be sure to get to Wing after that though, depending on whether or not I get really bored of SEED.

Hattori

Banned
From the looks of things, it appears I should have gone with Wing first, lol.

But I'll stick with SEED for now though, because from what I've heard, Wing is more of a team of five guys wrecking shit while SEED seems to focuses more on romance later on in the story from what I've heard, and I guess I was in the mood for that kind of story instead.

I'll be sure to get to Wing after that though, depending on whether or not I get really bored of SEED.

Gundam Wing is a must see, definitely check it out when you get a chance!

G-Reco already confirmed to have the best character designs in the history of the Gundam franchise.

lyCgLO4.png

you may have a point there... slight hint of :madp
I didn't even this show existed until now

So 131 is the real deal for HxH folks?

No fucking around this time?

And all I gathered from the time I was gone, is that... we should stop using loli for every little girl character. Leave it to the sexualized ones.

One Week HNGGGHHHSSSS 7

Another solid episode. Saki is amazing. I love how she tells Hase to be careful when he gets on the chair but then shes the one wobbling it and trying to make him fall. Shes just so freakin adorable. I laughed at her new record for jumping.

Shogo has so much patience putting up with Hase. Its like every time I think "Hase youre being a punk ass", Shogo calls him a wimp or something of the sort and pushes him to get over his wimpiness. Hase doesnt realize how much Shobro does for him (especially that little bit post credits).

I love how Sakis friends are also HNNGGGHHHing over Fujimiyas pureness. Its great that her memory thing get better and things are becoming more romantic between Hase and her. Yay beach episode next week too.

Here's Fujimiyas adorable journal entry translation for the week:

Today on the way home from school, I went to go buy a present.

Kiryuu-kun let me know that tomorrow, July 14th, is Hase-kun's birthday. He was the usual blunt Kiryuu-kun, but for him to properly remember birthdays was something that made me think to myself, 'He's such a good person that is mindful of his friends!'

Deciding on a present took me such a long time. 'What colors did Hase-kun like again?', 'I wonder what he would want the most?'. I kept thinking about all the things I reread in my diary, and before I realized it, it was already time to close shop. I felt like I was being too indecisive. But it was a moment of happiness for me; that I was able to overdo thinking about my friends.

In the end, I bought some ingredients for sweets, went home, and baked cookies that were just a little bit sweeter than usual. It's not much, but I hope that Hase-kun will be happy!

Soul Eater Not! - 07
First half of the episode : Magnificent

Second Half of the episode : Good on paper if you look at the story , but SO DISAPOINTING , when all the detail on the faces and animation wasn't there.
What a missed opportunity.

THIS BETTER BE CORRECTED ON THE DVD/BLU-RAYS

cajunator

Banned
They're probably not doing any other TV projects this year or we would have heard about it. But I do know that they also had unannounced videogame work going on, so there's that. BONES is one of the leakiest studios out there.

Leakiest? What is meant by that?

I am. I'm watching it on Gundaminfo's YouTube channel.

The designs don't bother me that much. Nothing in SEED so far had made me go "Wow that looks terrible!" But then again, it hasn't made me go "Wow that looks amazing!" either.

thats the main problem. Its pretty much just described as completely average. Theres so much creative potential but Hirai just plays it super safe.

I love reading the comments on his MAL page that say that they love his character designs because they all look the same and then from that, they can know that he's involved with a show.

I didn't think that designing all of your characters to look the same could've been turned into a positive but now, I stand corrected.

A lot of designers have a distinct style. Hirai has only one design that he never deviates from. But even if he does deviate, his style is just bland.

Well i'm not joking , i'm 100% serious
I like yuri .... a lot

Well a full moon wo sagashite blu-ray release is not enough for me to forgive This "viz" company.

true. Forgiving Viz is likely impossible.

Those even look better

Looks like we are going to get Kill La Kill release details very soon

They have to do a bluray release right?

of course they will. At the low low price of 600$

One Week HNGGGHHHSSSS 7

Another solid episode. Saki is amazing. I love how she tells Hase to be careful when he gets on the chair but then shes the one wobbling it and trying to make him fall. Shes just so freakin adorable. I laughed at her new record for jumping.

Shogo has so much patience putting up with Hase. Its like every time I think "Hase youre being a punk ass", Shogo calls him a wimp or something of the sort and pushes him to get over his wimpiness. Hase doesnt realize how much Shobro does for him (especially that little bit post credits).

I love how Sakis friends are also HNNGGGHHHing over Fujimiyas pureness. Its great that her memory thing get better and things are becoming more romantic between Hase and her. Yay beach episode next week too.

Here's Fujimiyas adorable journal entry translation for the week:

THIS SHOW

Hunter x Hunter 130

NEXT WEEK FOR SURE

As for the second half of the episode, it just reminds me how Madhouse fucked up the whole Kite thing for the sake of pacing in the earlier episodes.

Clov

Looks like we are going to get Kill La Kill release details very soon

They have to do a bluray release right?

With how popular Kill la Kill is, it's practically a guarantee they'll give it a Blu-Ray release. Doubly so since they're dubbing it; the only dubbed release they have that's DVD only is Magi. Right now the only thing from Aniplex that I think is worth worrying about is Mushishi S2; that is something that needs a Blu-Ray release, but it will be a while before we find out their plans.

cajunator

Banned
With how popular Kill la Kill is, it's practically a guarantee they'll give it a Blu-Ray release. Doubly so since they're dubbing it; the only dubbed release they have that's DVD only is Magi. Right now the only thing from Aniplex that I think is worth worrying about is Mushishi S2; that is something that needs a Blu-Ray release, but it will be a while before we find out their plans.

Something as popular as KLK will get a bluray release for sure. Aniplex knows the marketing goldmine it is.

Toad.T

Banned
Ghost Stories 1 (Dubbed): Takes a bit of time to get to the funny bits that everybody loves. It's not as if it isn't funny (I laughed a bunch at the consistent attempts by Momoko to convert everybody to Jesus.), it's just I imagined it would be like Pizza Cats in which every line is a joke. OK art. Want to see where it goes.

Soul Eater 1 (Dubbed): LoveloveloveloveLOVE the art in some scenes (The shadow work is great when it wants to be) and the action is decently done. The voice acting sputters some times, though. Do like the relationship between Maka and her deadbeat dad. Nice soundtrack at parts. Probably will continue.

Kill La Kill 1 (Subbed): It definitely feels like a 90's anime in aesthetics and tone. That's not a bad thing at all, though! Hell, it basically encapsulates why I like the medium: Madness when it doesn't try, Motherfucking eye exploding brain wrecking insanity when it does try. Love the series so far, and will continue ASAP. (Mako is the best.)

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Most recent) 1 (Subbed) Love it. That's really all I have to say. The art's nice, the sound's great, it's fast paced while still giving character development, it's all great.

Midonin

Sailor Moon 03-04

Episode 3 was pretty nice. The disguise pen is definitely an element inherited from the magical girls that came before Sailor Moon, but that's not to say it's completely extinct today. HaCha is almost bringing it back to a lesser extent with all the outfits the girls are going through that aren't alternate battle forms. Usagi was at her most assertive this week once she figured out what was going on. (Also, Jadeite's not really one for aliases. J. Daito. Come on, you can do better than that.)

For episode 4, though I heard a lot about it, the worst of it really came from Luna. She was going a bit overboard with her jokes, but otherwise, the rest of the episode was, in terms of what it showed and what it didn't, structurally similar to this week's Love Live!, complete with the "working hard that the weight is lost without even noticing", though Luna had to tell Usagi because Honoka's a little more on the ball than she is. Not as bad as I heard, but still the weakest of the four episodes.

And with that, I'm all caught up on my classic Moon until Viz uploads the rest. It's gonna be a long, long road.

iavi

Noragami - OVA 1

Hilarious. The manga was funny, and the show actually took it and made it funnier with its additions.

The reason why BONES shows tend to look really good is because their scheduling and production management is generally top notch. It's not some magic trick or just about budget. The greatest enemy to traditional animation is time. Drawing each frame takes time, and if you want consistent results you can't just divide all the frames of a single scene and ask lots of different people to draw each frame.

Space Dandy might have started broadcasting in January, but it was in production since early last year. Lots of time to accommodate the schedules of the animators you specifically want on the project. Lots of time for them to finish their work. Noragami, Chaika, and Captain Earth were also in production from last year, even though they're only broadcasting now. We heard "rumors" about this year's entire BONES line-up from around mid-2013. So they've been cooking stuff for a while now.

The problem with Soul Eater Not is that it's a show which seems to have gone into production very recently. Seems probable that it's a last minute deal, and the sponsors really wanted a Soul Eater Not anime right now even though no one really planned for it earlier. The production staff working on Soul Eater Not are mostly the same crew which made Noragami, which means they likely moved over the Soul Eater Not right after finishing up Noragami. Doesn't leave much room for planning, and the results sort of speak for themselves.

Just want to say this was really informative and easy to understand, thanks.

Articalys

Chaika 5-6

The fact aside that I still think some of you need to better utilize spoiler tags, this show is okay. I figure if I could enjoy the likes of Evangelion and AoT despite knowing most of the twists and turns before even watching them the first times through, I can manage this.

CE is still the better Bones show of the season for me though.

cajunator

Banned
Chaika 5-6

The fact aside that I still think some of you need to better utilize spoiler tags, this show is okay. I figure if I could enjoy the likes of Evangelion and AoT despite knowing most of the twists and turns before even watching them the first times through, I can manage this.

CE is still the better Bones show of the season for me though.

How bout dat
dragoon loli

Soul Eater not 7
Very good first half with Kim and Jackie. Especially the part with Kim about to put on the Maid dress. The second part was kind of obvious but it is nice to see some action even if it was only decent at best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom