• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Fairy Musketeers 28-30

28 was the least impressive episode thus far. While I do like seeing the dwarf culture - and am glad that the elves and dwarves don't have a rivalry, they're perfectly okay with Rose being in their cave - the episode was a lot of footage recapping past events and people standing around talking. The latter isn't bad in itself, but this is a kids' anime, so it's not made terribly dynamic. The Grim Tailor repair subplot was alright, but it could be done better. Also, Souta's VA changed to Yuko Sanpei a few episodes ago and I only really noticed it now.

29 and 30 were a lot better. 29 for starting Gretel on her final path towards becoming a hero, and 30 for its somewhat more somber tone and plot revelations.
Val is actually Kain, Red's childhood friend and younger brother of Jed, who's also the one who murdered everyone she cared about, because of Val/Kain.
Rose's family and kingdom had no problems, and hers was a matter of self-confidence. Snow White recovered her hometown and, while she didn't get her dad back, metaphorically restored her hope. Riding Hood has no chance of recourse. This can't be undone. The stakes have been raised significantly.

This also draws some interesting comparisons between Val and Hansel. Though next episode will elaborate on this backstory, so I'll give more thoughts then, but I am curious about seeing how the endgame goes. Riding Hood and a wolf having a backstory isn't unexpected, but because it's this particular Riding Hood, it has my interest. Even Princess Mode was filled with anger.

Chariot

They look like they are dancing.
In a bad way. Good fight scenes are like dances. In fact, Soul Eater used that as a metapher more than once. This is just... Bones shouldn't do three shows a season.
Captain Earth looks very nice, but is kinda confusing, Chaika is nice, but looks just ok and Soul Eater Not has no redeeming features *gets muffled by Yurifans*

Dresden

More Akame Ga Kill voice cast.

Souma Saitou = Tatsumi
Yuu Asakawa = Leone
Yoshitsugu Matsuoka = Rabac
Katsuyuki Konishi = Braht
Yukari Tamura = Mein
Risa Mizuno = Najenda
Mamiko Noto = Schere
Satomi Akesaka = Esdese

Taku Iwasaki is the music composer for the series. Man Taku Iwasaki has been damn busy with jobs which I'm glad he is.

Katsuyuki Konishi is a perfect for Braht because of reasons. I don't like Yukari Tamura as Mein.

Should've been Yuki Kaji.

cajunator

Banned
In a bad way. Good fight scenes are like dances. In fact, Soul Eater used that as a metapher more than once. This is just... Bones shouldn't do three shows a season.
Captain Earth looks very nice, but is kinda confusing, Chaika is nice, but looks just ok and Soul Eater Not has no redeeming features *gets muffled by Yurifans*

true its a lot to work on but didnt Shaft recently take on 3-4 projects at a time too?

Chariot

All of their budget went to Chaika and animating little kid short shorts and lewd shit. I mean both shows have prepubescent looking girls in WAY too revealing clothing. Won't somebody please think of the children?!
Contrary, I think some people should think less about children.
true its a lot to work on but didnt Shaft recently take on 3-4 projects at a time too?
Only two as far as I see. Mekaku and Nisekoi.

u'r b0ring

I wasn't expecting much, but it managed to be worse than I expected. A show about every day lives of average college students is just not strong material but can work to some extent like Nodame Cantabile. But then again, "slice of life" anime is not my cup of tea because it's oftentimes filled with angst and melodramatic crap. The only episodes I liked and to which I could relate to
was when one of the dudes took off with his bike to get away as far as possible.

Jarmel

Banned
All of their budget went to Chaika and animating little kid short shorts and lewd shit. I mean both shows have prepubescent looking girls in WAY too revealing clothing. Won't somebody please think of the children?!

All of their budget went to Captain Earth and Space Dandy. Chaika is B-tier animation at best. It's a shame but BONES is overloaded this year.

All of their budget went to Captain Earth and Space Dandy. Chaika is B-tier animation at best. It's a shame but BONES is overloaded this year.

Shit forgot Dandy was also BONES. Nevermind then. Still yes, it isn't exactly A-class animation. BONES should focus on giving me a real Soul Eater sequel another season with little to no other shows, instead of the current pandering garbage.

Jarmel

Banned

They could do it but the problem isn't so much that they have 3 shows airing at once but that they had at least 5 separate shows airing in the span of a year.

They are going to have over 100 episodes airing this year.

SD-26
Captain Earth-25/26?
Chaika-25/26?
Noragami-13(can't remember if 12 or 13)
SEN-12?

Dresden

They did have that one year with Star Driver (although it began in the year prior), Gosick, Un-Go, and No. 6... god, what a terrible year.

I just want pretty action sequences. Either Soul Eater or anything that has me invested in the sweet battles. I'll also take Sword of the Stranger 2: Sword of the Friend

Just wait for Darker Than Black: Blacker Than Ever.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
They could do it but the problem isn't so much that they have 3 shows airing at once but that they had at least 5 separate shows airing in the span of a year.

So? Not all studios are the same size.

Jarmel

Banned
The A tier animators are going to Space Dandy and Captain Earth. If BONES does a show in the Fall, I would expect it to look significantly better than Chaika and SEN.

So? Not all studios are the same size.

They do have separate studios which allows them to even do this in the first place but they have limits. SEN was the one they put on the chopping block as I think it's being done mostly by non-BONES regulars.

Superflat

Noragami and Space Dandy are excellently produced shows by Bones that aired at the same time. Best season for Bones in years.

And now they're doing Chaika, Captain Earth and Soul Eater Not, and none of them are particularly good :[

Right after I started getting uber excited for Bones again, they pull this. At least there's Space Dandy part 2 coming up.

Chariot

Noragami and Space Dandy are excellently produced shows by Bones that aired at the same time. Best season for Bones in years.

And now they're doing Chaika, Captain Earth and Soul Eater Not, and none of them are particularly good :[

Right after I started getting uber excited for Bones again, they pull this. At least there's Space Dandy part 2 coming up.
huh, by all means, even if not everything is right with captaim earth, it sure does look good.

duckroll

SD-26
Captain Earth-25/26?
Chaika-25/26?
Noragami-13(can't remember if 12 or 13)
SEN-12?

Dandy - 13 x2
CE - 25
Chaika - 12 x2
Noragami - 12
SE Not - 12
Tenkai - ~50 (ep1-39ish in Japan, ep17-50ish in the US)

There'll be about 150ish episodes of BONES content airing worldwide in 2014.

Jarmel

Banned
Dandy - 13 x2
CE - 25
Chaika - 12 x2
Noragami - 12
SE Not - 12
Tenkai - ~50 (ep1-39ish in Japan, ep17-50ish in the US)

There'll be about 150ish episodes of BONES content airing worldwide in 2014.

That's not even assuming they're insane enough to do something else other than Chaika in the Fall.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Chaika's 2nd Season looks a lot better than the 1st.

I'm gonna have to give AKB0048 another shot. I watched one episode when I first made the horrible, horrible decision to watch anime and at the time is was just too "out there" for my sensibilities.
i might just do that too.
Watched 3 eps , it wasn't bad , but it didn't click.
Might give it a chance for more eps.

according to WTK these are the September releases for Sentai.

BoGg46FCYAEP3dO.jpg
Fate Kaleid GETTTO
I kinda want majestic prince too.

If they bring this back I will quit my silly Viz-hate forever.
C5DjkFE.jpg

I love this show , but you've gotta do better than that.

Clov

Watching the new Soul Eater Not episode, that full fight is even worse than the gif. It's somewhat incredible that the studio that just recently did the well animated Space Dandy is also doing this.

I hope they're just saving the budget for Space Dandy season 2.

cnet128

Banned
Suite Sweet Precure 4

"Let's make the Cures fall out with each other! If they can't work together, they won't be able to stand in our way!"

Yeah, okay, that's a reasonable plan. Possibly the least original plan in the history of Precure, but I'll give you a pass on that front since I don't believe it's been seen for a while (I don't think it got used in Heartcatch or Fresh, though I'm pretty sure every team prior to that has been subjected to it). And the choice of methodology this time wasn't too bad either - posing as Kanade's greatest idol and playing on the worries she was already feeling (that Hibiki's opinions on her cakes are worthless) proved fairly effective.

But, uh, villains? Aren't you forgetting something here? These Cures don't need your help to have a falling-out. They have had one in literally every episode of this series so far. The one thing they're getting really good at is making up with each other. (Hang on, let me just change that "up" into an "out"...)

And so, as expected, the plan falls through completely. Well, wasn't that a surprise.

(By the way, I think not recognising the trio of flamboyant singing cronies because they were wearing chef's hats may be the most ridiculous case of paper-thin disguises Precure has ever pulled XD At least Kanade did show some sign of almost-recognition...)

Butyeah. I'm really kind of starting to enjoy the feel of this series now - it's still early days yet, and I know the team is going to grow eventually, but at the moment this feels a lot like a throwback to the old two-Cure series like Splash Star, and that's actually pretty neat. I know Heartcatch also started out with a lone pair of Cures for quite a long time, but there was nothing traditional about the way that series played out, so this is the closest to the actual feel of the classic seasons the series has got for a long time. Hell, even Seyrein's disguise trick in this episode felt like something straight out of Poisony's book. (Incidentally I have no clue how I'm meant to spell Seyrein's name, but I'm too scared to look it up because, as a female humanoid with animal form who was even formerly aligned with the mascot kingdom, she seems to be begging for a heel-face-turn of some sort and is therefore liable to be a spoiler minefield.)

The show even seems to have the long-abandoned trope of two Cures who only transform/use finishers as a pair and draw a good portion of their strength from holding hands with each other. I wouldn't be surprised if they developed individual abilities eventually, but right now they seem pretty joined at the hip. The complaining, I will do none of it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Noragami looked great, sounded great, but I didn't particularly care for it. Yukine was a little shit and the story overall was pretty bland with a pretty disappointing final arc. Really wish they actually did some more with Bishamon, a lot of the plot points in general had really unsatisfying conclusions.

I guess its pretty good for Bones standards but wasn't really my cup of tea.

duckroll

That's not even assuming they're insane enough to do something else other than Chaika in the Fall.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Chaika's 2nd Season looks a lot better than the 1st.

They're probably not doing any other TV projects this year or we would have heard about it. But I do know that they also had unannounced videogame work going on, so there's that. BONES is one of the leakiest studios out there.

Noragami looked great, sounded great, but I didn't particularly care for it. Yukine was a little shit and the story overall was pretty bland with a pretty disappointing final arc. Really wish they actually did some more with Bishamon, a lot of the plot points in general had really unsatisfying conclusions.

Thats because they only adapted the first arc of the manga. And the final arc is an anime original, you could call it filler if you wanted.

iavi

The anime cuts into original content right before the (really. fucking. good.) Bishamon arc kicks off. It's a damn shame.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
To be fair Chaika is their best show since like 2009. Quite the redemption story.

Bones is still shit though.

Sacrifice? This is common sense. 100% of the budget should go towards Yuri. Everything else is a waste of resources

i just watch Black Bullet 7, and it seem the scene where the 3 girls hugging is better animated than the action scene, so i guess BONES not the only one who abide by this principle.

duckroll

Watching the new Soul Eater Not episode, that full fight is even worse than the gif. It's somewhat incredible that the studio that just recently did the well animated Space Dandy is also doing this.

I hope they're just saving the budget for Space Dandy season 2.

The reason why BONES shows tend to look really good is because their scheduling and production management is generally top notch. It's not some magic trick or just about budget. The greatest enemy to traditional animation is time. Drawing each frame takes time, and if you want consistent results you can't just divide all the frames of a single scene and ask lots of different people to draw each frame.

Space Dandy might have started broadcasting in January, but it was in production since early last year. Lots of time to accommodate the schedules of the animators you specifically want on the project. Lots of time for them to finish their work. Noragami, Chaika, and Captain Earth were also in production from last year, even though they're only broadcasting now. We heard "rumors" about this year's entire BONES line-up from around mid-2013. So they've been cooking stuff for a while now.

The problem with Soul Eater Not is that it's a show which seems to have gone into production very recently. Seems probable that it's a last minute deal, and the sponsors really wanted a Soul Eater Not anime right now even though no one really planned for it earlier. The production staff working on Soul Eater Not are mostly the same crew which made Noragami, which means they likely moved over the Soul Eater Not right after finishing up Noragami. Doesn't leave much room for planning, and the results sort of speak for themselves.

iavi

Sounds like I should check out the manga. Guessing they don't have any plans for a S2 if they did so much original stuff?

There's no rumoring of an S2 yet, but they could easily segway right back into the manga canon if they wanted to, the way the left things with Bishamon in the anime.

And, yeah, Noragami may be the most entertaining manga I'm currently keeping up with. It's so much more than the 'Yato, the struggling god taking on a case of the week' type deal the beginning of it could have you thinking it'd be. It's really well written.

Sounds like I should check out the manga. Guessing they don't have any plans for a S2 if they did so much original stuff?

Maybe they are letting the manga get more chapters so that they dont catch up. Its on chapter 42 currently.

There is also an OVA that came with volume 10 of the manga. Another OVA will come in volume 11 scheduled for July.

And yeah the manga is worth checking.

Gundam SEED - 2

I like this OP.

I hope Princess Euphemia shows up soon as she keeps appearing in the eyecatch.

One thing I didn't like about this show the first time around was the fact that there is a lot of technobabble being tossed around, and it didn't exactly do good as I was half asleep at the time.

Watching it now, I guess it's a bit more tolerable. But still...

Clov

The reason why BONES shows tend to look really good is because their scheduling and production management is generally top notch. It's not some magic trick or just about budget. The greatest enemy to traditional animation is time. Drawing each frame takes time, and if you want consistent results you can't just divide all the frames of a single scene and ask lots of different people to draw each frame.

Space Dandy might have started broadcasting in January, but it was in production since early last year. Lots of time to accommodate the schedules of the animators you specifically want on the project. Lots of time for them to finish their work. Noragami, Chaika, and Captain Earth were also in production from last year, even though they're only broadcasting now. We heard "rumors" about this year's entire BONES line-up from around mid-2013. So they've been cooking stuff for a while now.

The problem with Soul Eater Not is that it's a show which seems to have gone into production very recently. Seems probable that it's a last minute deal, and the sponsors really wanted a Soul Eater Not anime right now even though no one really planned for it earlier. The production staff working on Soul Eater Not are mostly the same crew which made Noragami, which means they likely moved over the Soul Eater Not right after finishing up Noragami. Doesn't leave much room for planning, and the results sort of speak for themselves.

Makes sense; if they do things that far ahead of time, it's only natural that the results will be better. KyoAni's work probably looks as good as it does for similar reasons (that and they don't tend to take on many projects at once). On the opposite end of the spectrum you have Shaft; some companies touch up their animation for the Blu-Ray release, whereas Shaft finishes theirs. :p

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 18

The fact that the Captain
decided against going around the fleet of 10,000 enemy ships, and instead drove straight through them, shooting them all the way, drove into a planet then out the other side and then blew up the planet and half the enemy fleet with their big death ray gun
just shows why he's in charge.

cajunator

Banned
i might just do that too.
Watched 3 eps , it wasn't bad , but it didn't click.
Might give it a chance for more eps.

Fate Kaleid GETTTO
I kinda want majestic prince too.

I love this show , but you've gotta do better than that.

Gotta do better?
Viz has committed many atrocities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom