• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm sure the writers of an MTV romcom don't watch crappy anime, but with all the incest shows this season, I couldn't help but laugh at the jokey incest couple in this week's episode:
1jBFIQnl.jpg

Dat twincest.

The last time I remember an incest joke on an American show was Friends, but I have to imagine that it's come up since then. lol

Man you people were still talking about BONES this whole time?

The discussion should've ended with

"Man Soul Eater Not is giving a horrible name to BONES. You could even say it's Bad to the BONES. B-B-B-B-B-B-B-AD"

Articalys

Man you people were still talking about BONES this whole time?

The discussion should've ended with

"Man Soul Eater Not is giving a horrible name to BONES. You could even say it's Bad to the BONES. B-B-B-B-B-B-B-AD"
I never watched the original Soul Eater nor read the manga, so I don't really have a stake in that fight, sorry.

Am I a bad person for thinking that Captain Earth is a bit boring, like visuals aside nothings been interesting. Action scenes have been a bit standard, the only saving grace so far is Hana but that isn't enough. I mean since this show is done by the creators of Star Driver you would think it'd be a lot more entertaining. Hope next weeks episode is entertaining though.

Am I a bad person for thinking that Captain Earth is a bit boring, like visuals aside nothings been interesting. Action scenes have been a bit standard, the only saving grace so far is Hana but that isn't enough. Hope next weeks episode is entertaining.

That seems to be the consensus, so no, you're not.
I'd add the music is pretty good though.

Quasar

I'm sure the writers of an MTV romcom don't watch crappy anime, but with all the incest shows this season, I couldn't help but laugh at the jokey incest couple in this week's episode:
1jBFIQnl.jpg

Dat twincest.

The last time I remember an incest joke on an American show was Friends, but I have to imagine that it's come up since then. lol

I don't know about jokes, but Gossip Girl had its own anime style incesty relationship.

Pocket Monsters X/Y 27

Meh filler episode about Flabebe and Eureka.

Ginga e Kickoff!! 25

Hey look, we finally have the team completed as per what the opening has been showing to us from the start.

Puchimas!! 43

Costume play

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to 07

Imouto intensifies

Majin Bone 08

Please stop repeating Dragon Bone

My problem with Captain Earth so far is that it's a show that doesn't want you to turn your brain off, but at the same time doesn't really reward you for keeping it on.

Blusby

Hellsing Ultimate 1-5: Well damn, they sure are putting that camera to work! These OVA's have been rather underwhelming so far, hopefully it picks up in the second half.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam Unicorn-3
Another really strong episode. I actually liked the Newtype communication sequence early on due to the strong storyboarding and how it was used. I didn't even know it was possible to jack someone else's piles like that, I laughed so hard at how badass that was. The mecha animation throughout the episode was stellar even if there were some CGI bits that keep creeping up. The explosions at the beginning of the assault were some next level stuff. One thing I love about the animation in this show is the visual effects such as the melting effects when a beam saber rips into someone. It all looks so 'liquid' that it really adds to the sequences.
ibeImecOOPOofY.jpg

Very good shot on an imagery level.
The music felt more Sawano-ish, for better and worse. Mainly it's that one vocal piece when the Unicorn launches a little over the half-way point in the episode. It's completely out of place in that people talking are overlaid with this vocal track and not much is going down. It would have been much better placed in a combat sequence. Up to that point, I was thinking how unSawano-ish the soundtrack was but then bam, that piece started. It's a shame as I actually like the song by itself but the placement was horrible.
ibl1qy2Jx0NPjz.jpg

Liked the scribble effect reflecting Banagher's emotional state
So yea the writing felt a little clunky in this episode mainly due to all the shit surrounding the box and the Unicorn. I was able to follow along for the most part but it still felt wonky. I love how they came up with a Newtype Anti-Newtype Weapon. An ace to counter the aces. It's sort of interesting too that it's leading towards the units being 'alive' of sorts.

Marina's background was unexpected and did a lot to flesh out not only her but the Neo Zeon side as a whole. I also liked Daguza Mackle (the hardass soldier) as the show did reflect the humanity in him but didn't veer away from depicting him as a soldier all the way to the bitter end. Mackle's comment about his feelings and if he had a son, whether he would have felt this sooner, after Banagher yells at him was pretty poignant. The show really has done a notable job of keeping the depictions of both sides on an even keel.
I'm not wild about Banagher as he whines a shit ton but then goes on killing. In short, he acts like the usual Gundam protagonist. It gets annoying hearing him complain all the goddamn time. I just wish he had more of a personality other than 'I don't want to kill people but I seemingly have to, and I'll bitch and moan the rest of the time'. I really hate how mecha shows incorporate these stupid pacifist elements into main characters as it feels so hamfisted and hypocritical so much of the time. That's something I liked about Kamille in Zeta.

fertygo

Well, I thought that was implied; I was covering the 'why'. The show has had its moments, but my expectation of the series has plummeted like a rock so far.

Yeah I'm just being snarky lol, show also disappointed me.. but like Mahouka look like I'm gonna follow it to the end.

survivor

Banned
Kaiba 2

Great episode. Loved the way some of the details about the characters or the world was told naturally throughout the writing without spelling it out clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom