• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
How did he survive on the Internet until now without knowing something like that?

Honestly I didnt know what a gloryhole was until I asked my coworkers one night.

Madoka Magica Fin

Marathoned through to the end. I kinda feel like the dark side of it may've peaked with 3, but that was probably like ripping off a bandaid you knew had to come off anyway. I'd like to see Rebellion sometime, but Aniplex pricing, and Netflix doesn't have the disc (though they've been getting bad about stocking new DVDs/blu-rays compared to the past.)

Excellent. Its a hell of a show. The last couple episodes really put it all together. The movie Rebellion actually kinda tries to tear it apart but thats all Ill say about it. Should be a cheaper release coming I think.

jgminto

Ping Pong 4 - 8

All caught up. Still an amazing show. Kong's story is really emotional, definitely had me tearing up at times. The scenes with him, his mother and his team cooking were really heart warming.
It's so heartbreaking that he can't catch his break and get into the nationals but at least he has people that care about him in Japan now.
Peco's transformation has been amazing though. His journey to realising his dream again and bouncing back even stronger is really inspirational, though he should have kept the longer haircut. It'll be interesting to see him go up against Smile or Kazama. Kazama's developing story has been interesting too. His burden with constantly trying to honour his family's name and his ferocious dedication to ping pong really add to his character. I feel like in another show he'd just be a menacing brute. Smile's story has probably been the weakest recently. He hasn't had much going on but he does seem to slowly be developing more and more enthusiasm for things and seeing Peco
return to his status as Smile's hero is quite touching.
Definitely glad I'm caught up now.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sailor Moon 6

Yeah that was terrible even before the complete botchery of music history, with it probably the worst episode of the show by far
Google "father of music". Bach comes up.

"Beethoven described him as "Urvater der Harmonie", the "original father of harmony"." -wiki

*shrug*

Also, you let one detail ruin an episode for you like that?

Thoraxes

Google "father of music". Bach comes up.

"Beethoven described him as "Urvater der Harmonie", the "original father of harmony"." -wiki

*shrug*

Also, you let one detail ruin an episode for you like that?
The details are important because he's learning actual music history that goes back much farther than Bach, and with much more influential people as well.

cajunator

Banned
Well, that detail aside the episode was junk and it can be seen why it was skipped.

whether or not the episode was anygood, thts no reason to skip part of a work. You still arent seeing whats intended to be seen. Also DiC ROYALLY fucked up the final episodes to the point that the episodes dont really exist either.

Theonik

Dog Days 02
Seeing the second episode I'm still a bit iffy on the show. It still feels like it's going to be the dumb anime comedy that HAS to just feature the classic 'schoolboy trapped in weird world routine' because clearly this couldn't be entertaining without it.
Anyway with that being said it could have been MUCH more terrible.
So on to what everything cares about:
Eclair remains in a high position to be a good contender for best girl. How does that even work though.
Leo is putting up a very good fight however.
Also it's a me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The details are important because he's learning actual music history that goes back much farther than Bach, and with much more influential people as well.
The joke was that Usagi was bullshitting her speech to begin with.

Well, that detail aside the episode was junk and it can be seen why it was skipped.
It's the best solo Usagi episode, had a good plot progression as most of the episode was actually about the youma trying to correct a fuckup rather than the usual formula, and had a ton of interesting visuals.

cajunator

Banned
Dog Days 02

Seeing the second episode I'm still a bit iffy on the show. It still feels like it's going to be the dumb anime comedy that HAS to just feature the classic 'schoolboy trapped in weird world routine' because clearly this couldn't be entertaining without it.
Eclair remains in a high position to be a good contender for best girl. How does that even work though.
Leo is putting up a very good fight though.
Also it's a me.

just watch it for the mofuwa. Let your pants guide you. Or your lack of pants, whatever you prefer.
Also I looooove webm sooooo much.

Thoraxes

The joke was that Usagi was bullshitting her speech to begin with.

It's the best solo Usagi episode, had a good plot progression as most of the episode was actually about the youma trying to correct a fuckup rather than the usual formula, and had a ton of interesting visuals.
It's been years since I watched OG Sailor Moon :/

Maybe I should rewatch after all, heh.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's been years since I watched OG Sailor Moon :/

Maybe I should rewatch after all, heh.
Basically Usagi tries to denounce the youma's actions by invoking how a musical authority would disapprove, gets the intended reference wrong, then Luna corrects her. Usagi then turns to Luna and says "If you hadn't said anything they wouldn't have known!"

It's one of the many self-aware bits in Sailor Moon.

Thoraxes

Basically Usagi tries to denounce the youma's actions by invoking how a musical authority would disapprove, gets the intended reference wrong, then Luna corrects her. Usagi then turns to Luna and says "If you hadn't said anything they wouldn't have known!"

It's one of the many self-aware bits in Sailor Moon.
Ahhh.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akuma no Riddle Episode 9:

Holy fuck, when did this series decide to actually become good? Like the past two episodes have actually been good featuring real emotions, passion, credible threats and actual stakes. Maybe if this series had been like this from the start it would have pushed the barely tolerable mark.

trejo

Dog Days 02

Ah, yes. Nothing like color-coded animal girls. Season 3 when?

Also, you'll change your tune once yellow gets introduced. Everyone does.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Dog Days is a better Nanoha than Nanoha.

Although I don't think that transformation sequence was at all necessary.

Rightstuf sent me my Jun 02nd orders but I still have to wait for Date a Live till next week. I need Kurumi.
When it arrives, can you let me know if the box says it's region B (EU) compatible? Searching suggests not but I'd like to be sure. If it isn't then apparently Madman are doing an Australia release which I can import since it's the same region, though I'm not 100% certain whether they're doing a BR release or just a DVD one.

Incidentally, Kurumi beat Kuroyukihime in the latest round of IntSaimoe*. How does that make you feel? Where do your loyalties lie, cajun?

*Not that I care about IntSaimoe, of course.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
whether or not the episode was anygood, thts no reason to skip part of a work. You still arent seeing whats intended to be seen. Also DiC ROYALLY fucked up the final episodes to the point that the episodes dont really exist either.

After dealing with the endless shonen that is part of Toonami I am so disposed to disagree with that sentiment. At any rate, as mentioned before I could see why it was skipped and indeed if I had to maker that call, I would have skipped that episode as well.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
After dealing with the endless shonen that is part of Toonami I am so disposed to disagree with that sentiment. At any rate, as mentioned before I could see why it was skipped and indeed if I had to maker that call, I would have skipped that episode as well.
You're going to struggle through Sailor Moon if episodes have to be of consequence to not be skippable.

cajunator

Banned

That show made me squee so much. Its one of the few shows left that needs a US release.

When it arrives, can you let me know if the box says it's region B (EU) compatible? Searching suggests not but I'd like to be sure. If it isn't then apparently Madman are doing an Australia release which I can import since it's the same region, though I'm not 100% certain whether they're doing a BR release or just a DVD one.

Incidentally, Kurumi beat Kuroyukihime in the latest round of IntSaimoe*. How does that make you feel? Where do your loyalties lie, cajun?

*Not that I care about IntSaimoe, of course.

Sure thing!
As for your second question I would opt out by principle. I cannot choose between two goddesses. Its against my religion.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So Cowboy Bebop is shit? It's mostly filler, you know.

Cowboy Bebop is a different show with differing goals then Sailor Moon. I guess the best I can say is Sailor Moon's filler is better then endless shonen filler but that is hardly high praise.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Cowboy Bebop is a different show with differing goals then Sailor Moon. I guess the best I can say is Sailor Moon's filler is better then endless shonen filler but that is hardly high praise.
Actually, Sailor Moon is exactly the same kind of show as Cowboy Bebop. It's an episodic show with an overarching plot that occasionally gets touched on, not unlike some American TV shows like House MD. This is completely different from the shounen model you insist on forcing onto it.

Preconceived notions can warp your appreciation of a show. You're already setting yourself up for failure by using the "filler" mental shorthand.
Huh, I wouldn't even group those two shows together so closely.
That remark I didn't mean as seriously. They're from the same author and part two features some Nanoha style magical girl stuff, and I enjoyed it more overall.

I don' t understand.

I do. Vividred clearly has no idea what to do with its plot STORY and it's trying to distract me from that fact with its abundance of yuri and butt shots!

Dog Days 02

I remember Eclair and Leo were being the only things that I really enjoyed about this show. I was expecting something adventurous, but instead I got, well just a cute little story. Which wasn't a bad thing, really. I mean, from the start it knew what it was trying to be and kinda stuck with it.

It wasn't a bad show, it just felt kind of average to me. That reminds me, I still haven't watched the last episode of season 1 yet...

Dog Days is a better Nanoha than Nanoha.

Tsk Tsk Tsk.

Nanoha was a story about time-space, interesting villains, and magical girl Gundam fights! It was not the story of some yahoo getting thrown into a world of humanoid dogs and just going along with some friendly war going on between the two like it wasn't a big deal!

Comparing both of those shows together would practically be doing both of them a disservice.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Actually, Sailor Moon is exactly the same kind of show as Cowboy Bebop. It's an episodic show with an overarching plot that occasionally gets touched on, not unlike some American TV shows like House MD. This is completely different from the shounen model you insist on forcing onto it.

Preconceived notions can warp your appreciation of a show. You're already setting yourself up for failure by using the "filler" mental shorthand.
That remark I didn't mean as seriously. They're from the same author and part two features some Nanoha style magical girl stuff, and I enjoyed it more overall.

Yea, I get there is a formula to Sailor Moon and I have seen quite a bit of it. I don't have high standards for this show for most episodes but bad episodes that focus on forgettable one shot characters that you could not pay me to give a toss about I consider a waste of my time.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yea, I get there is a formula to Sailor Moon and I have seen quite a bit of it. I don't have high standards for this show for most episodes but bad episodes that focus on forgettable one shot characters that you could not pay me to give a toss about I consider a waste of my time.
Most of the show is that. Episodic means one-shot!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Strangely enough this is the first episode to do that since the other episodes involved Sailor Moon's regular human supporting cast as the focus of each episode.
After Jadeite the Dark Kingdom starts going after specific people as its MO, and these are all one-shot appearances with only a few exceptions. Sailor Moon S, Supers, and Stars all have one-shot appearance victims as their standard focus as well.

Only R goes the more Jadeite route.

cajunator

Banned
Indeed, and filler is filler and is thus shit. Let us not pretend that Sailor Moon could not use the Kai treatment.

Filler can be fun sometimes. Some people enjoy it. In sailor moon sometimes filler actually furthers a character a little bit so it isnt always. but the show is tried and true monster of the week fare so its to be expected.

I do. Vividred clearly has no idea what to do with its plot STORY and it's trying to distract me from that fact with its abundance of yuri and butt shots!

I remember Eclair and Leo were being the only things that I really enjoyed about this show. I was expecting something adventurous, but instead I got, well just a cute little story. Which wasn't a bad thing, really. I mean, from the start it knew what it was trying to be and kinda stuck with it.

It wasn't a bad show, it just felt kind of average to me. That reminds me, I still haven't watched the last episode of season 1 yet...

Tsk Tsk Tsk.

Nanoha was a story about time-space, interesting villains, and magical girl Gundam fights! It was not the story of some yahoo getting thrown into a world of humanoid dogs and just going along with some friendly war going on between the two like it wasn't a big deal!

Comparing both of those shows together would practically be doing both of them a disservice.

Vividred pretty much is about yuri and butts and cute girls. It never really pretended to be anything different. I dont think its meant to be taken seriously.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I do note the pros and cons of a given episode, like episode 5 actually had Usagi operate on her own and not get bailed out by Tuxedo Kamen, I rather liked that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So like episode 6?

Yes, actually, because that is actually showing some growth on the part of Sailor Moon as a superheroine. It wasn't enough to redeem the episode but the sentiment was there. Indeed any enjoyment I can get out of the early fights is welcome.

Jintor

Dusk Maiden 11

This is a nice inversion. Bit a standard climax but eh. Oh hey, did the ED change a little? Yuuko seems a little more smiley.

Dusk Maiden 12 -END-

Oh good, some relaxing comedy first-off the bat. Omg kirie casually salting herself. This is really nice after the last few episodes of radass tension.

Since we have an entire episode left, that means either this is a hilarious OVA or something still has to go down.

WHELP

NOT HILARIOUS OVA EPISODE

So that ending was kind of weird? Like, it sort of had this amazing bitter-sweet moment that nearly hit me full-scale and then immediately invalidated itself. In, well, kind of a suitable manner, but it still was weird.

Anyway, that was a really fun series. Its animation and general artstyle wasn't worth a damn but it made up for it heaps in its weird cinematography and cuts and the way it was totally prepared to go completely nuts to lend a heightened sense of madness to pretty much everything.

cajunator

Banned
Yes, actually, because that is actually showing some growth on the part of Sailor Moon as a superheroine. It wasn't enough to redeem the episode but the sentiment was there. Indeed any enjoyment I can get out of the early fights is welcome.

does not compute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom