• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yes, actually, because that is actually showing some growth on the part of Sailor Moon as a superheroine. It wasn't enough to redeem the episode but the sentiment was there. Indeed any enjoyment I can get out of the early fights is welcome.
The fights are actually the weakest part of Sailor Moon. They're an easy hook to the viewer, but while a lot of the fights twist and play with formula to be entertaining in their own right, the show primarily shines elsewhere.

cajunator

Banned
The fights are actually the weakest part of Sailor Moon. They're an easy hook to the viewer, but while a lot of the fights twist and play with formula to be entertaining in their own right, the show primarily shines elsewhere.

it does have a lot of cuties in it.

Vividred pretty much is about yuri and butts and cute girls. It never really pretended to be anything different. I dont think its meant to be taken seriously.

Well, it sure seemed like it could be something different from the start. The show sets up this premise of the world having this perfect engine that solves the energy crisis and these Alone things don't like that for some reason. The show barely spends any time on what the Alone actually are and just what their problem is with this machine.

And I remember there was an earlier flashback that showed the main character and her mother hovering over a pit of lava or something. Hell, IIRC her father died in that accident! That's pretty serious!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Oh ye gods these early fights are really bad mainly because Sailor Moon has like one move right now.

No, he means fights don't actually get better for the most part. It's the weakest part of the entire series.

Even PGSM has better fighting, which in turns, has better coreography than the Nolan Batman Trilogy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
What I am saying is this is the low point of the fights because it involves Usagi running around for 5 minutes and then Moon Tiaraing the monster into dust.

Theonik

I do. Vividred clearly has no idea what to do with its plot STORY and it's trying to distract me from that fact with its abundance of yuri and butt shots!
Isn't that the whole point. :kayos.

I remember Eclair and Leo were being the only things that I really enjoyed about this show. I was expecting something adventurous, but instead I got, well just a cute little story. Which wasn't a bad thing, really. I mean, from the start it knew what it was trying to be and kinda stuck with it.
I am only watching for the mofu. I see little other reason why you'd bother.

Clov

I've only watched the first season of Sailor Moon. It was repetitive, but I think I really enjoyed it. The highlight of the season was the episode where Norio Wakamoto voices a priest. I seriously didn't expect that.

I'll probably start R after I finish Nana and watch all of Hunter X Hunter (2011), since my friends have been bugging me to watch it.

cajunator

Banned
What I am saying is this is the low point of the fights because it involves Usagi running around for 5 minutes and then Moon Tiaraing the monster into dust.

Get used to that because youll see it alooooooooot

Isn't that the whole point. :kayos.

I am only watching for the mofu. I see little other reason why you'd bother.

Vividred and Dog Days are pretty much cutie fanservice shows and little else. But thats ok!

sonicmj1

I rewatched the first episode of Hataraku Maou-sama today just because, and once again I was struck by the amount of production on display in the first four minutes of the show, for a scene just to set up the premise. There's lots of exciting action, splashy effects, and dynamic movement, on a scale that the show never matches again.

Besides Yuushibu, I wonder what other notable examples of this kind of thing there are.

Jintor

I rewatched the first episode of Hataraku Maou-sama today just because, and once again I was struck by the amount of production on display in the first four minutes of the show, for a scene just to set up the premise. There's lots of exciting action, splashy effects, and dynamic movement, on a scale that the show never matches again.

Besides Yuushibu, I wonder what other notable examples of this kind of thing there are.

I love that 'anime through the ages' picture that is entirely made out of scenes from just the first episode of maou-sama

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Usagi's power is the killshot. That never changes. It's all a matter of other people setting up the chance to do so.

In other words, what you see is largely what you get.

Wanted to do well in my final Uni exams so I hadn't watched any Anime this season. I was even thinking of giving it up totally, most of it is shit and separating the wheat from the chaff was becoming tiring. After a while you've kinda seen everything and the constant tropes and the terrible concepts were really wearing me down. But I figured I'd at least watch Ping Pong.....

PING PONG THE ANIMATION 01-08

HOLY SHIT THIS IS SOOOOO GOOOOOOOD. The art style is incredible, the characters are something that can actually be identified as human, the comedy is done with extreme consideration and the entire thing is directed and composed ridiculously well. Every person has their own story and each individual's goals and aspirations are strained and tested against the overwhelming harshness of reality, of talent and effort.

Maybe because I don't really watch sports anime but I just binged 8 episodes and can't wait for the next.

Welcome back hero.

It really was like... the one part that didn't sit well with me on Sailor Moon, given what Precure season I was watching at the time I was going through Sailor Moon at a fast pace

Defuser

2014-05-3022.58.49hgs0t.jpg

Time for me to face the terrible english translation which I hear so much about.

It's also interesting that White Fox basicaly animated two different versions of the second part of episode 1 for whatever reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw704mr-jZY

sonicmj1

It's also interesting that White Fox basicaly animated two different versions of the second part of episode 1 for whatever reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw704mr-jZY

I don't think I ever saw that before I started watching. None of that was reused, and some of the layouts and stuff (the outside of MgRonald's in particular) are really different.

I'm not sure why they did all of that over again. Some of the choices might make more sense for the PV format, but still... it might explain how they wound up so behind on finishing the OP and ED animations.

That said, it keeps up with my rarely-tested theory that shows with unique PV animations tend to turn out well, like Working!!' or Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun/My Little Monster. If the staff care enough to make extra drawings just for promotion, they probably care enough to make sure the show's quality is up to snuff.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 9:

Wel, this fight was a step down from last week,
mainly because Rubber Soul was really fucking obnoxious and would not shut the hell up, good riddance to bad stand users.

789shadow

Banned
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 9

"The Blob! The Blob is coming!"

"My stand will be the judge. ORAORAORAORAORAORAORA!"

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
How did he survive on the Internet until now without knowing something like that?

I never really interacted on forums/chats that much. Also, the subject matters that I was exposed to wasn't really about the things I didn't know about.

kayos is a pure and innocent soul.

I guess? I'd say I'm naive. And ignorant. About some things. Blah blah blah. T_T

Does he also think sadpanda involves a panda being sad?

I just said this at work today! Does it actually not mean a panda that is sad.... Uh oh.....

A panda who doesn't have enough bambo. :(

That would be a sad panda

Because that's the character he's playing.

I'm insulted.... =/

So you think he is an idiot for real? How rude.

Definitely not an idiot.

He'll believe the Loch Ness monster is real before he believe otherwise. Haha.

Whoa now. Loch Ness is not real.

There is no shitposting. Just shit posters.

Thank you? Idk who that was directed at...

jman2050

I'm not saying Kotomi's arc is the worst part of the whole show, but...it's the worst part of the whole show.

No it's still Fuuko. She's the worst everything in Clannad.

Wait sorry scratch that Ryou is the worst but at least her sister props her up kinda.

jgminto

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 9
I posted some of the small problems I had with this episode as a fan in the show OT if anyone is interested. It was minor stuff but it did stick out to me. Overall though the episode was fantastic fun, as the YT fight should be. Now I have nothing more to say. Nothing more to say except...RERORERORERO!
Love Stage!! (new pv)
tumblr_n6e7qiW9Lp1rnbh24o2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_n6e7qiW9Lp1rnbh24o1_500.gif

Too good.

I'll watch this but I wish the black haired guy didn't look so gross. The rest of the cast doesn't fare much better but he's got a serious case of old school yaoi going on. I don't even know why people liked that art style, the characters look like aliens.

Eusis

Excellent. Its a hell of a show. The last couple episodes really put it all together. The movie Rebellion actually kinda tries to tear it apart but thats all Ill say about it. Should be a cheaper release coming I think.
Yeah, I'd been seeing the bad impressions and how even if the rest of the movie is great the last 5 or so minutes just trash it all. Still, there's morbid fascination, and I would want to argue that the journey matters more than the end though in this case we ARE talking a story that was building up to a point rather than something purely/primarily episodic or a fun video game.
I guess the point is that I'm not sure if that's a girl or a boy.
With DTL I figure it's better to just assume boy unless it's very explicit that's a girl.

Even if I think girl before looking at who made the post and go "oh right."

cnet128

Banned
No it's still Fuuko. She's the worst everything in Clannad.

Wait sorry scratch that Ryou is the worst but at least her sister props her up kinda.

Fuuko's arc is the best part of the first series. It's then categorically outdone by pretty much everything in After Story, but it's still the best part of the first series. It's the one arc in the first series that actually succeeds in inspiring emotional investment. The next best is Nagisa's, but that feels almost more like a lead-in to After Story than an arc in its own right.

Also Ryou is better than Kyou. Basically your opinions are awful.

Midonin

Date A Live II 08

One of those really action-heavy episodes. There's been enough buildup to it that I found it exciting. Kurumi's spamming of her multiple selves is on par with Miku's attacks, and Mana's return is small, but welcome. I'd almost forgotten about her between the seasons. Shido's mysterious ability returns. I'm not expecting to get a concrete answer about what his deal is this season, but moving along the overplot like that is always good. And those DEM guys are evil. Not quite cartoonishly evil, but that scene with them threatening to torture Tohka was uncomfortable.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 09

HAHAHAHAHA HE DID THE THING
HAHAHAHA HE ALSO SAID THE THING
0a50390fdc.jpg

Interesting to note is they gave the previously unnamed Runaway Girl a name, Anne. And they seemed to have changed J. Geil's name to "Centerfold" in CR subs, but interestingly enough they did not change "Rubber Soul". All the scenes with
Yellow Temperance faking Kakyoin and being a dickhead were great. They nailed all that. Dat reroring
Jotaro using
THE JOESTAR BLOODLINES SECRET TECHNIQUE
is as hilarious as ever. I liked this fight a lot in the animation, and Jotaro is getting to be more likable around this point.
Can't wait for the next episode with the India scenes and Hol Horse.

IxmwJU8.jpg

FOUR RHINOCEROS BEETLES? 「PUCCI INTENSIFIES」

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom