• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

whynotboth.gif

It's cheapness disguised as style

TTGL is (well can be) style that just happens to be cheap, but KLK seems way closer to 'we don't have any budget left, make do plz'

jgminto

Boring giant mech fights and a second half that didn't need to happen.

ibtRCzGKiHlINZ.png

I respect your opinion but "poor animation" doesn't even make sense to me. There are so many other shows out there with boring, cookie-cutter, lifeless animation by comparison. KLK, like TTGL, oozes style with dynamic camera moves, slick cross stitch shading, crazy squash-and-stretch, and emotive characters. The animation is one of its strongest traits.

KLK had nice style but the animation was stiff and terrible. Much of the background work had about as much animation as Inferno Cop, which isn't necessarily a bad thing and can add a lot of charm to normally static backgrounds but when the "big" fights near the end were basically the same couple frames being repeated and still images being moved across a frame to simulate a sword fight, it just looks cheap. If you compare that to TTGL's animation and vibrant style it doesn't look great. Of course, that's not really fair. Trigger is a new studio so they're not going to have the budget for a well animated 2-cour show. But after seeing what the could do animation-wise with LWA, it's hard not to be disappointed with what they did with KLK.

I'd love for Trigger to have a David Productions style increase in budget and quality for their next big thing. Though if this whole LN thing works out for them maybe they'll just stick with that like everyone else...

ckohler

KLK had nice style but the animation was stiff and terrible. Much of the background work had about as much animation as Inferno Cop, which isn't necessarily a bad thing and can add a lot of charm to normally static backgrounds but when the "big" fights near the end were basically the same couple frames being repeated and still images being moved across a frame to simulate a sword fight, it just looks cheap. If you compare that to TTGL's animation and vibrant style it doesn't look great. Of course, that's not really fair. Trigger is a new studio so they're not going to have the budget for a well animated 2-cour show. But after seeing what the could do animation-wise with LWA, it's hard not to be disappointed with what they did with KLK.

I realize they can't have everything look like LWA when LWA was just 26 minutes long and KLK was 9+ hours. However, I never got the feeling it looked cheep. Using fewer frames to animate something doesn't automatically equal poor animation imo if the shots are composed well. Lots of stuff can be poor with more animation like this:

fa11460obkrk.gif

Look at all those frames of terrible motion and off-model characters. The only moment in KLK that looked cheap to me was when Satsuki walked up the building. That was bad. It was pretty much the only time.

fertygo

whynotboth.gif

It's cheapness disguised as style

TTGL is (well can be) style that just happens to be cheap, but KLK seems way closer to 'we don't have any budget left, make do plz'

TTGL wasn't cheap at all, IIRC someone here said that eps 15 have crazy amount of frame count or something like that, I doubt KLK ever pull something like that.

Superflat

I realize they can't have everything look like LWA when LWA was just 26 minutes long and KLK was 9+ hours. However, I never got the feeling it looked cheep. Using fewer frames to animate something doesn't automatically equal poor animation imo if the shots are composed well.

Sushio's keyframes saved a lot of that show. I agree with people saying there is a distinct lack of animation in KLK, but it works around its limitations better than most studios.

Bring lots of money if you want to buy any anime ;P

I'm not big on blu rays, but figures and art/production books...... hoo boy.

Jintor

TTGL wasn't cheap at all, IIRC someone here said that eps 15 have crazy amount of frame count or something like that, I doubt KLK ever pull something like that.

TTGL had moments of cheap animation but they were generally pretty appropriate comedic moments or whatevver. When they had action scenes they poured money into them. KLK, even the finale of that was just "FLOAT IN SPACE SPARK SPARK SPARK SWING SWORDS"

cnet128

Banned
Akuma no Riddle 9

A giant fuck-off hammer that smashes through anything and everything is not really what I'd call an assassination tool. Isn't assassination supposed to be, you know, subtle? Not to mention precise and deadly (when you're hitting everything except your intended target, I'm pretty sure you're doing something wrong). Despite these blatant flaws, it does make for some pretty cool scenes, though =p

Good episode.

Superflat

Anecdotal and not really on topic but I heard the studio allocated a large percent of its budget (something nearing 30%) to TTGL's finale and by golly, it shows. re-watched the last episode via blu ray on my friend's huge screen television a couple months ago and it was a fuckin experience.

There's figures everywhere in Akihabara. I went to an electronics shop to buy an USB stick and even they had a small shelf with a couple of figures on it.

Sounds like heaven to me. Do prices depreciate for figures at all? Thinking about older ones that aren't incredibly rare.

edit: also curious about the second-hand market for figures in Japan as well, if anyone knows.

fertygo

Anecdotal and not really on topic but I heard the studio allocated a large percent of its budget (something nearing 30%) to TTGL's finale and by golly, it shows. re-watched the last episode via blu ray on my friend's huge screen television a couple months ago and it was a fuckin experience.

That fight is far more glorious in the 2nd movie though :)
Goddamn, Gainax truly going all in for the series.

Future Card Buddyfight Episode 22 (engDub)
tumblr_n6ewtoUpWi1qbxqfpo2_500.png
tumblr_n6ewtoUpWi1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Great Spell Saturday Night Devil Fever led to one of the funniest Asmodai and TatsuYO moments. His dancing posing and etc is just amazing.

I dont think the anime is ending anytime soon with the plot introduced here
Drum leaving for his training bit and Tatsuku Ryuuenji still barred from buddyfight, as well as the Disaster Force plot

Articalys

Why am I wasting my time actually reading through the whole thread...
Ah, yes. Nothing like color-coded animal girls. Season 3 when?
Once they're finished with Nanoha 3rd, I suppose.
Dusk Maiden 12 -END-

[...]

So that ending was kind of weird? Like, it sort of had this amazing bitter-sweet moment that nearly hit me full-scale and then immediately invalidated itself. In, well, kind of a suitable manner, but it still was weird.
Yeah, if she hadn't come back it would have been a really depressing ending, so I can understand why they did it that way, but that entire farewell sequence was definitely executed nearly flawlessly.

Jintor

Why am I wasting my time actually reading through the whole thread...

Once they're finished with Nanoha 3rd, I suppose.

Yeah, if she hadn't come back it would have been a really depressing ending, so I can understand why they did it that way, but that entire farewell sequence was definitely executed nearly flawlessly.

I might read the manga, see if it diverged or not

Akuma no Riddle 9

A giant fuck-off hammer that smashes through anything and everything is not really what I'd call an assassination tool. Isn't assassination supposed to be, you know, subtle? Not to mention precise and deadly (when you're hitting everything except your intended target, I'm pretty sure you're doing something wrong). Despite these blatant flaws, it does make for some pretty cool scenes, though =p

Good episode.

Not sure where the subtle comes from ?
For example , the zoldick familly in hxh , a familly of assasin ranged from all rounders, subtle assasins , crazy manicas , torturers to the big fat guy that killed using explosives.
Subtle was the least of their problem. what matter is that your target is dead, be it with a hammer , a bomb ,a nail , a piece of paper , a heart removed , or even a kamehameha.

It's a matter of style , but you can , you know , just choose to be effective.

Articalys

Okay, fine, sheesh. Pretend I never asked.

I'm not sure why but that response somehow just left me fearful I was about to get banned again.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I realize they can't have everything look like LWA when LWA was just 26 minutes long and KLK was 9+ hours. However, I never got the feeling it looked cheep. Using fewer frames to animate something doesn't automatically equal poor animation imo if the shots are composed well. Lots of stuff can be poor with more animation like this:

Look at all those frames of terrible motion and off-model characters. The only moment in KLK that looked cheap to me was when Satsuki walked up the building. That was bad. It was pretty much the only time.
It's easy to scrape up dreck from the bottom of the barrel to find a comparison that favors Kill la Kill, but Trigger's TV debut doesn't really stack up well against the more technically accomplished shows that ran in and around the same time period as Kill la Kill.

wonzo

Banned
KLK has some truly awful fight choreography. BONES they ain't. (soul eater not doesnt count!)

Man, people complaining that the Hannibal 'finale' really dragged it's heals in terms of pacing really need to sit down with some Hunter x Hunter. Their minds would be blown.
I can see people complaining about the pacing and dumbness of the lead up to the finale but the actual last episode itself? smh

Jarmel

Banned
Trigger has the animators, that's not even up for debate. The problem is that they need to work on their production schedule and getting a decent budget.

Also a better script wouldn't hurt either.

Gochuumon wa usagi desu ka ? - 08
Gochuumon%20wa%20Usagi%20Desu%20ka%20-%2008_01.jpg

Coffee power !!!
Excellent Onsen episode . My yuri sense was tingling and it felt good.

Second part was quite great too.
The movie dialog doesn't make sense even if it's probably what happenned IRL.
How the heck can they justify this setting ?
Each girl reaction to the movie was excellent .

Gochuumon%20wa%20Usagi%20Desu%20ka%20-%2008_02.jpg

Breaking the boundaries of what is possible and what isn't.
The whole package was pretty good.

But how the heck does a rabbit carry an umbrella ?

cnet128

Banned
Date A Live II 8

There's no turning back now, Miku. No matter how you try to pretend otherwise, anyone can see
your dere switch has been flipped. It's no longer a question of if you'll decide to go to Shidou's aid, but of when.

The scene with
Shidou's friends affirming their faith in him even while brainwashed into loyalty to Miku
was super sweet. Now, it's time to rescue that captive spirit!

Articalys

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?26295#post246995
Facebook said:
Hi GKIDS! The UK Kickstarter prompted me to ask: any word on how Patema Inverted is coming along?

It's coming along nicely, and we're working with the UK team to make sure our release in the US is great too. We're working on bringing it to theaters later this summer. Keep an eye out for announcements on this page!
Hopefully this bodes well for the R1 release.

DATE A KURUMI S2 - 08

As if there was a need for a confirmation , we get it anyway !
Kurumi BEST ALLY , BEST GIRL , BEST GODESS

Date%20A%20Live%20S2%20-%2008.jpg

Yes!!! Yes !!!!

YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS
^^^ALLLL OF MY YES^^^^

Ahem.
Kurumi Da Best.
Mana , you need some serious character develloppement to have if you want to rise in my rankings , JUST LOOK AT Origami she is doing exactly that , a superb rise in my ranking by dooing crazy things that make me cheer for her. The switch of loyalty from AST to Shido at the end of S1 is now more obvious than ever !

Rest of the episode was cool , with more kurumi than needed. But i sure aren't complaining about this..

sonicmj1

Stardust Crusaders and Mushishi answer the call and say yes.

Those are the three shows I'm 'watching from this season, so I can't say I disagree that heavily. But even in that field, I feel like Ping Pong stands out.

Stardust Crusaders is a fine and worthy adaptation of a fun action-adventure, but (and I don't mean this to sound dismissive) that's all it is. Ping Pong's take on sports tropes is really different from anything else I've seen in the genre, and it's done incredibly well. I value shows that deliver something unusual, and Ping Pong is delivering that in a way that Jojo can't.

Mushishi is also excellent, but I'm bitter that they've delayed things twice in three weeks.

jgminto

It's hard to say what I'm enjoying the most out of JoJo, Ping Pong and Mushishi this season. Not Mushishi because those delays are so painful. As a fan of JoJo I love how faithful it is and seeing it finally getting the adaptation it deserves is wonderful. And Ping Pong is just so fresh and amazing, even with the production problems it has it is still so captivating. Might be a tie for me between the two, can't really compare them anyway. Hopefully Mushishi can deal with these delays so I can enjoy it again.

duckroll

Is this a remake of the original Gundam but with some extra backstory made into four films? That's what I'm getting from the Wikipedia page, and to be honest I wish they'd put more effort into something so seemingly significant.

No, it's not a remake of Gundam. It's a 4 episode theatrical project (like Unicorn and Akito, so basically OVAs) covering a specific segment of the Gundam Origin manga - the origin of Char and Sayla from the point they were children until they grow up and the One Year War begins.

It's a pretty significant project for Sunrise, but it's only the first step. How they plan on eventually animating the rest of Gundam Origin (which is a remake and expansion of the original series in manga form) is not known. They might do it in more parts like this, maybe they could make a TV series, or they could do actual films, no one knows. If this is not successful maybe they won't even do the rest at all.

Articalys

Captain Earth and Haikyuu are at the top of the list right now, with Gochiusa just below them and everything else kind of milling around together below that.

Except Mushishi, which is also great but I took it out of the rankings due to its purely episodic nature, and Mekaku, which is still too goddamn confusing to properly give it a place.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 184

Right to the end, Sabertooth is playing dirty. And this universe already has parallel dimensions and a time freeze, but now
a time traveling Lucy from a bad future is entering into things?
The battle with Kagura never really got started - another one of those in-between episodes - but it certainly set up things. I'm glad that the action is taking place majorly above ground now.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 9

Do you understaaannnnd?

A somewhat bizarre episode, that will be made tame in comparison as we dig deeper into Jojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom