• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not even the most bizarre thing from SBR.

wXOe0xY.jpg

Link Man

Banned
Wagnaria!!2 2

Oh joy, Yamada episode!

And now Takanashi has a mini-Inami. I wonder if we'll see it again.

iQyobY1jn7jVT.jpg

That expression.

Yamada is love.

Oh god, Soma is pure evil.

Dang it, almost made it one whole episode without a punch.

Yamada is...boob jokes?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPLfyPtWSxo

cajunator

Banned
Sushio's keyframes saved a lot of that show. I agree with people saying there is a distinct lack of animation in KLK, but it works around its limitations better than most studios.

I'm not big on blu rays, but figures and art/production books...... hoo boy.

yeah. I wouldnt worry much about anime so much as the figures and other stuff harder to find.

Well... Aniplex import prices is the standard I guess.

There's figures everywhere in Akihabara. I went to an electronics shop to buy an USB stick and even they had a small shelf with a couple of figures on it.

daaaaamn. I would simply go bonkers I think. I would look like a genki moeshit.

Anecdotal and not really on topic but I heard the studio allocated a large percent of its budget (something nearing 30%) to TTGL's finale and by golly, it shows. re-watched the last episode via blu ray on my friend's huge screen television a couple months ago and it was a fuckin experience.

Sounds like heaven to me. Do prices depreciate for figures at all? Thinking about older ones that aren't incredibly rare.

edit: also curious about the second-hand market for figures in Japan as well, if anyone knows.

prices for many figs depends on the quality and brand, whether its from a popular series, how many releases for the figure and if it is a particularly in demand item. You can find a lot of figures used in great condition.

Dang, somehow I forgot this thread existed. Joining!

edit: I have a feeling the figures thread is going to make me spend a lot more money than I otherwise would.

hello! Yes that thread will actively attempt to enable you to buy figures. The urge is quite extreme lol.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 9

hooooooooooooooly shit

almost a full half episode of ricchan being adorable IN PYJAMAS

my body was not ready for this

GuG70xA.gif

this level of cuteness needs to come with a government warning

loooool
im glad youre enjoying it.

Gonna introduce friend to fate zero tomorrow and the other friend of mine and myself can't wait to rewatch it.

My plan to get everybody to love it as much as I do is on to phase two. Electric boogaloo.

cajunator

Banned

looking promising thus far. Really looking forward to the movie.

DATE A KURUMI S2 - 08

As if there was a need for a confirmation , we get it anyway !
Kurumi BEST ALLY , BEST GIRL , BEST GODESS

^^^ALLLL OF MY YES^^^^

Ahem.
Kurumi Da Best.
Mana , you need some serious character develloppement to have if you want to rise in my rankings , JUST LOOK AT Origami she is doing exactly that , a superb rise in my ranking by dooing crazy things that make me cheer for her. The switch of loyalty from AST to Shido at the end of S1 is now more obvious than ever !

Rest of the episode was cool , with more kurumi than needed. But i sure aren't complaining about this..

Its Kurumis world. Some of yall are finally starting to realize it.

Atelier by Shaft:

C4XlsG2l.jpg

SV8GsLpl.jpg

Amazing!

Very impressive tilt.

Midonin

Kamisama Kazoku 05-07

So an arc that begins with peeping in on the girls' locker room ends with Samataro's best friend getting hurt badly enough that he's hospitalized, and all while he and Tenko have to raise a baby who's growing up fast enough that she goes through two voice actresses in one episode. It's not very often I can say an anime simultaneously reminds me of Happy Seven and Rick and Morty. Taro's mom freaking out about her age is a bit overdone as a gag (and aren't they gods? They're immortal, age is not even a number), but everything else is pretty enjoyable. The scene with Meme and her dad was kinda heartwarming, and, just as I thought, some Shinto mythology made its way into the show. God has an office in heaven where he fishes out Tanabata wishes. Though that freeform approach to mythology also works in the show's favor.

Tenko continues to be cute and tsundere, and with Kumiko out of the picture, all the attention is on her and Samataro. Though the guardian angel deal doesn't include any arranged marriage propositions, it may as well. Everyone in the family is egging them onto it anyhow.

Authority

Banned
Do we know if there will be a second season for Hakuoki Reimeiroku?

And I do apologize for the off-topic but any other gaming news sites like Adriasang? I mean English-language Japanese game news site that often translate Japan's Famitsu games industry magazine into English.

trejo

Dog Days is a better Nanoha than Nanoha.

Although I don't think that transformation sequence was at all necessary.

Well gee it seems I had succesfully erased that one sequence from memory. Thanks for reminding me Hito. :mad:

Once they're finished with Nanoha 3rd, I suppose.

Unless it's at least on the same level as A's I'd rather they not bother.

Wait, 3rd? Are they pretending Strikers doesn't exist or something? Good.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 09

hwlX9SNl.jpg

Fun episode, facing things only known as terror.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc V 07

Advanced summons and XYZ summons?!? It's like the show remembers there's more than the new flavor of the season.

Ginga e Kickoff!! 38

And suddenly, world class soccer players show what real fear is.

Atelier Escha & Logy 08

Hey an event that is part of the plot in the game. Will this actually advance the plot in the anime?

Another useless Wilbell focused episode instead? Should have expected as much for this bad adaptation.

Articalys

Ah, the full sales list for May 19-25 is up:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1466

New and ending shows:

- Ace of Diamond vol. 1 finally arrives with a 1,210 DVD-only sales total.
- Yozakura Quartet -Hana no Uta- finishes up a six-volume run with a 2,089 BD+DVD average.
- Walkure Romanze ends six volumes as well with a BD+DVD average that's somewhere between 1,500 and 1,700.
- Outbreak Company winds up with a BD-only average of 1,364 after six volumes as well.
- And finally, Gingitsune limps in with a mere 551 BD-only average across its six volumes.

As usual, plenty more numbers/commentary at the link.

cajunator

Banned
I am, but haven't played online yet.

Actually lost track of time playing, and ran out of battery on my GamePad for the first time ever.

I need it. Maybe tomorrow.

hmmm. I guess it works for them. I was kind of put off by the layout changes. Need to adjust my own backgrounds.

Wagnaria!!2 2

Oh joy, Yamada episode!

And now Takanashi has a mini-Inami. I wonder if we'll see it again.

iQyobY1jn7jVT.jpg

That expression.

Yamada is love.

Oh god, Soma is pure evil.

Dang it, almost made it one whole episode without a punch.

Yamada is...boob jokes?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPLfyPtWSxo

Tiny Popura is squee. This show knows how to use her height to its hnnnngvantage.

So I think I'm addicted to the No Game no Life Soundtrack. I pretty much have had This song On repeat in my head for the past couple days and I'm still not tired of it.

.. Wait a second, Shaft doesn't make Atelier. Damnit Shaft

its a good song. Not quite catchy enough for me.

I want it on record that I was on the Kurumi train from pretty much the moment she first appeared in S1.

Thats a good lad.

Time to begin a new cycle

*sore about cure diamond being web exclusive*

Careful or youll end up like me!

Jex

I realize they can't have everything look like LWA when LWA was just 26 minutes long and KLK was 9+ hours. However, I never got the feeling it looked cheep. Using fewer frames to animate something doesn't automatically equal poor animation imo if the shots are composed well. Lots of stuff can be poor with more animation like this.

Er, it generally does when you have nearly 0 frames of animation (or just a couple) like any number of terrible KLK fights. Shot composition has nothing to do with animation, it's two completely different skill sets and for the record there were plenty of rather poorly composed shots in that series as well. The fight choreography was, for the most part, bad.

Jarmel

Banned
Date A Live S2-07

I've found this whole season to be a complete step backwards from S1. This arc is beyond grating in that Miku is an awful character and none of the girls have been really that interesting. Hopefully this arc ends next episode so I can they can move on to better shit.

The drama doesn't work at all in this series.

ckohler

Er, it generally does when you have nearly 0 frames of animation (or just a couple) like any number of terrible KLK fights. Shot composition has nothing to do with animation, it's two completely different skill sets and for the record there were plenty of rather poorly composed shots in that series as well. The fight choreography was, for the most part, bad.

Fair enough. I'll concede that the animation wasn't great. I just mistook the overall look of the show as the "animation" where you guys are specifically referencing the actual motion and frames.

Regardless, I still think the show looks great and far more pleasing to the eye than the majority of shows out there, that to me, look cookie-cutter.

Thoraxes

Fair enough. I'll concede that the animation wasn't great. I just mistook the overall look of the show as the "animation" where you guys are specifically referencing the actual motion and frames.

Regardless, I still think the show looks great and far more pleasing to the eye than the majority of shows out there, that to me, all look a lot alike.

You could definitely make a good argument that they worked well with what limitations they had. They made a lot of compromises, but they did well to mask them (as much as they could) with particular stylistic choices that played to the fact that there was a lack of budget for it.

Obviously the show came out how it did and the others points still stand, but overall I at least felt they did a great job (enough to get me to buy all the blurays!).

iwiVMlifeDDSi.png

Yeah I went there.

I could forgive you for using the white theme, but not for posting the wrong amount of pages.

CorvoSol

HYOUKA--SERIES IMPRESSIONS

I really, really hate dropping anything so much so that I resumed this show for like, the third try. I'm not going to delve too deeply into spoilers. On the one hand, I will try to mark anything I judge absolutely necessary, but frankly I was under the impression that I was the only guy in the entire community who hadn't seen this show yet, and judging by its content I cannot rightly say I feel much, even regarding the ending, is the kind of stuff people would be upset about hearing spoilers for, since after the first episode or so one can quickly see where more or less everything in the show is headed, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

By way of preface, let me say I would not have voted for Hyouka for AOTY. Not even now that I've seen it do I really think it would top my list. However, I understand now, I think, why it won. There are things about this show I suppose I will never enjoy because it isn't in my nature to enjoy them and I guess that's a loss on my part, but at the same time I suppose we'll all be pleased to know that the rage I felt when last I threw down the show and walked away from it is more or less quelled at this point and replaced with a sort of respectful understanding that gives me hope that, in spite of my lack of interest in Yamato and utter disdain for its CGI, it may yet turn out to be a similarly endearing experience.

One final comment before I begin, and this I add with the uttermost care because I cannot quite find a way to truly express this without the fear of being misunderstood, but I would be remiss to not at least attempt to make it. Consider, then, my preemptive apology and know I mean no harm when I say what comes next: I think that part of what improved my experience with this show was in fact seeing it without interacting with anyone about it. At times I form very harsh opinions of things early on, and that is a failing of my own, but I also abandon and rethink these opinions given time, I feel. On the other hand, because I have a terrible habit of accentuating just about everything I dislike in anything, I give people the wrong idea and those who find something they love under attack rightly feel the need to set me straight, which, for the sake of brevity, can occasionally snarl everyone's experiences. As it was later put to me, at times it is best to experience things in a void, and to dwell on my impressions rather than voice them one at a time. This was, at several points in the series, rather difficult, but I endeavored to keep it to myself, more or less, for as long as I could.

To be honest, I had no intention of ever coming back to Hyouka, because I really had found myself utterly frustrated by it early on, but you may all thank Narag for getting me to give it a second chance. It sort of drove me mad to see someone whose tastes I pay particular heed enjoying something I had so disliked, and made me reconsider it until at last I felt that it was absolutely necessary I try it again. Compounded into this decision was that I had recently finished the vast majority of The List and I needed something more grounded in reality after the likes of Yami and if I was going to watch 50 episodes of Clannad then I figured I could man up and handle the last 11 episodes of Hyouka while I was at it. Afterward came all that business with Yamato, and for a brief moment I really did despair of ever really finding myself in tune with the community's tastes again (a moment of rather intense melodrama on my part, I confess.)

That said, I think I'll give my general "what I liked and what I didn't" and then post whatever remaining impressions of the show I had throughout its run.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE

Well, I'm not at all a fan of the character designs. They're really not my thing, but that's not really a matter of the show's actual worth, you know? They were consistent, but I never really clicked with them. Mind you this is only really about the designs and their style, and not so much their function. Functionally they were still quite expressive and of course hair and motion remained captivating even if I was not a fan of the actual designs.

Furthermore, I regret to say I'm not at all a fan of Chitanda Eru. I'm not really sold on the bubbly energy characters anyway, and Chitanda's constant disconnect from her alleged intellect continued to annoy me in one way or another for the space of the entire show. Her character never truly felt like an actual person to me, but rather a sort of fabricated automaton whose behavior was only to move the plot along a course that did not need her forcing it along as much as she did. There was also this weird childishness to Chitanda that clashed with the way she would occasionally become sexual or the object of Oreki's desire that I cannot really claim I enjoyed in any sense. To be honest the most fun I had with her was mocking her and pretending her actions were explained by a tragic bout of excessively early onset Alzheimers during the School Festival arc. I also found it strangely out of character the sudden calm, poise, and maturity she displayed in the show's final episode, and wish dearly that she had behaved thus more often in the show.

Lastly, I did not like the Murder Mystery Movie arc one bit. The entire thing feels contrived, contains far too many references to this and that kind of mystery series for the sake of name dropping them, and what I suppose some would call development I found tiresomely melodramatic. As an addition to this I feel there were far too many episodes in which I did not really feel the cast was in any way advanced by the mysteries they solved, and that the mysteries themselves were wholly underwhelming. This problem, though largely relegated to the first half of the series, still cropped up once or twice in the post school festival episodes. Arguments could be made in favor of it, and I'm certain its all things that were dreadfully apparent, but none of it felt significant, and I am not one to feel that the insubstantial and the subtle are one and the same.

So what did I like?

Mayaka. I liked Mayaka.

Going more into depth, I felt that the show was visually quite impressive, and that at times, when the classical music didn't feel lifted from some high school band director's book of classical classical music, the score could truly be impressive and combine quite well with what was going on. The last couple of episodes were absolutely breath-taking in their use of light and colors, and, Chitanda's dumb, vacant expression aside, character expressions never failed to be, well, expressive.

Most of all I love the School Festival, which is perhaps the most puzzling thing in the world to me, because there is nothing in all the world of anime less original than a school festival arc. However, what really sells this arc is that it has a lot of energy going for it. It's clear that everyone who worked on it was having fun, and that they wanted you to, too. The mystery is overarching and engaging, without the previous' arc's need for melodrama to drive it. The character development is clear, concise, and in the case of Mayaka, extremely relateable. The events are fun, and while many of Chitanda's antics are Chitanda being Chitanda, her attempt to learn how to get men to do what she wants from Iris is entertaining at the very least. The arc never dwells over much on any one of the characters, rather giving each on a chance to do what they want/need and make those interlace. Oreki getting caught up in one of those Legend of Zelda trading quests without ever getting up was itself a fairly interesting part of the arc, too.

But most of all, I really liked Mayaka. I felt her character was the most human of the four, and her reactions the most like teenagers I knew. She was perfect at putting Oreki in his place, but at the same time their interactions weren't just naggy mcnag and sirdouchealot, and I really appreciated the rare times when they betrayed how much they actually cared about one another, especially in the last two episodes. And of course, her relationship with Fukube was fun to watch, even if it was no less typical of the genre than Chitanda and Oreki's.

Although I would not vote this show AOTY, nor can I say I found it excessively original, or even particularly my own personal cup of tea, I can say that against my own dislike it ultimately did win out, and I did find myself cracking smiles and enjoying it the longer it went on, and that I would not at all be opposed to further seasons of this show. It rather surprises me, in fact, that there has not yet been one. It is certainly a well made show, and its clear that the time and care that went into its animation and writing are a large part of what endears it to so many. So if I cannot say I loved Hyouka, I can say I did find myself enjoying it by midway, and if I cannot say that I would rate it as highly as others, I can say I now understand why. If I cannot retract every negative, vile thing I ever hurled at it in a moment of short tempered heat, let me at least say now that the dislike I experienced is replaced with no small measure of good-will toward the show.

I am not certain if I have accurately articulated everything in this post I set out to articulate. I wanted to say a lot and I often thought about how I would say it, but as I'm sure this post has gone on long enough already, I suppose I will have to let this suffice and trust that if my words fail me, my intent will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom