• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Kiniro no Corda could be the best anime of the season and none of us would ever know because the only person watching it is only sampling disjointed bits and pieces. Can firehawk live with that kind of potential guilt?

He's well aware that he just needs one other to acknowledge it such that the rest of us watch it in December so he doesn't actually have to.

Nisekoi - 15

Great new opening

Ok new ending

Marie is clearly marking her territory and is a nice challenge in this whle mess , meanwhile onodera just disintegrate because she does nothing AND EVEN misses a perfect opportunity to score , not only she refuses to fight , but she EVEN doesn't defend.
Chitose manage to prevent more damage done to her terirtory but couldn't prevent a massive loss of momentum because marie is very agressive.

Next episode will be intresting
Marie dad seems like a excellent Mid-season boss.

Tenumi

Banned
Frank's RedHot sauce on scrambled eggs is great. Don't know how it is on other cooks of eggs, though.

Also...

ATTENTION: I have borrowed Golden Boy from one of my friends, finally. Expect me to watch that this week.

Quasar

Nisekoi - 15

Great new opening

Ok new ending

Marie is clearly marking her territory and is a nice challenge in this whle mess , meanwhile onodera just disintegrate because she does nothing AND EVEN misses a perfect opportunity to score , not only she refuses to fight , but she EVEN doesn't defend..

Given she's Rakus true love she has no need to get in the mud with those others.

Midonin

Kawaisou 03

I'm okay with Sayaka. She reminds me of a female version of Souma from WORKING!!, with all the same trickery going on. Yes, Ritsu is adorable, but I find myself interested in Mayumi a little more. It's the kind of role that you think would be filled by Hitomi Nabatame, but Rina Satou is doing an admirable job at it. The show always slips through my memory since I catch it so late in the week, but it's a pleasant diversion to end the week on. Solid all around.

wonzo

Banned
Thanks but I can't help but get the feeling you snuck in at least a couple of :wonzo shows in there. ;)
Man, I recommend some legit stuff and this is the thanks I get?
pacspit.gif

Given she's Rakus true love she has no need to get in the mud with those others.

*Haven't read the manga*

As it stands :
- She loves raku
- She tells raku she has a key while knowing that they key person is important to raku
- She is aware of chitose situation and understand the misunderstandings it caused

And when asked " are you in love with raku" she answers ( in front of him ) " he is just a good friend"

?

WHAT

WHY ?

This is stupidity if Ruri was nearby , she would have hit onodera and she would have deserved that hit

Frank's RedHot sauce on scrambled eggs is great. Don't know how it is on other cooks of eggs, though.

Also...

ATTENTION: I have borrowed Golden Boy from one of my friends, finally. Expect me to watch that this week.

You're gonna have a fun time haha. Full of hilarious moments.

Syrinx

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV 21

2yHMNno.png

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGS OF MY HEART

Misao finally gets to see her dad. Sasami is such a bro.

So the balance is finally restored, and Tsunami wins. There has to be something to happen in the last 5 episodes, so Ramia is probably going to try and stir shit one more time even though she's already lost. Hopefully Rumiya won't be such a bitch this time though.

Branduil

Knights of Sidonia 1

ibrLzJrO44IYNA.jpg

Mecha NTR is now a thing

This episode is kind of all over the place, but the underlying story seems a little interesting. It's shame they decided to use such terrible looking characters though. The art direction and mecha look alright, and some of the drawn backgrounds look especially nice, but nothing can done to save those stiff, robotic, and lifeless CG characters. So ugly.

So, I think watching Saki gives me diarrhea. I remember when I watched the first season I spent much of the time watching it on my tablet from the bathroom. I just started Episode of Side A and was having some digestive issues as well. But as for the show itself, two episodes in it feels more upbeat and bubblegummy than the original. OG Saki had at least some balance between the humor and seriousness. Hopefully some of that comes back, if not here then during The Nationals.

B8uBvIa.jpg

Gintama The Final Chapter: Be Forever Yorozuya Movie Review

Imagine with me for a second that throughout your childhood and college years you had a group of friends. You were inseparable. Your best memories are with these people and they hold a special place in your heart that nobody else will ever be able to replace. Sure you've met other people that have made an impression in your life. New friends, more family, even lovers and spouses. But they have their own memories, and while they are pretty dear, you can't help but miss those childhood days. Those days playing with your buddies, drinking together, laughing, doing absolutely nothing, getting scared, pulling pranks on each other, crying with each other, sharing your happiness, sharing your pains, supporting each other, cheering for one another, and eventually... saying goodbye with a promise to meet again.

You're now older and you look at the calendar on your phone. Today's day you all promised to meet again. You hear some steps behind you. When you turn around, you see those friends you were once inseparable from walking towards you. A wave of ecstatic happiness surges throughout your body as you walk towards them, to get reacquainted with them, learn how they've been doing after so long. But more importantly to just be together once more, experience that pure childlike joy once more if only for a fleeting moment. That is what it felt like to watch Gintama: Be Forever Yorozuya.

Unfortunately talking about the movie itself is a huge spoilers since the movie itself is so out there that just giving away even the smallest of hints could be considered a spoiler. Which is why I'll only discuss what was given to fans when the film was coming out: the movie deals with time travel. Gintoki travels into a future timeline where everything is different. The city is destroyed, the streets are empty and filled with debris, and the colors are all a shade of brown and grey. Basically it turned into Fist of the North Star.

Having said that, I genuinely feel it'd be unfair to give those of you who hope to eventually watch the movie much information about it. The sheer joy I experienced while watching this without knowing anything outside of the basic premise and information was outstanding. If you've seen Gintama in the past, or are still watching it I want to give you this advice: do not watch this film until enough time to the point you fondly remember the franchise has passed. It will lose its emotional impact if you watch it having just seen the series. It'd be like any other story arc in Gintama. Which would mean it'd be fantastic. But it wouldn't give you the joy of seeing these characters again, all having changed very little sine you last remember them. We have the entire gang of regulars come back for this film. Even with the smallest scene, they're there and you will smile or laugh or cry when you see them.

Everything was perfect in the film. And I mean that. Nothing was off. The humor? Amazing. The plot? Incredible. The feels? As good as Gintama has ever brought. The fan service? And I mean fan service as in 'you are a fan, here are the things you love about the property' and not the lewd and despicable ecchi kind? AMAZING. I was laughing, I was crying, I was glued to my screen. The correct words are eluding me to describe just how amazing this is. This whole movie was just a giant present for fans bringing the best of the best of Gintama. I promised no spoilers so I'll tell you this: The final battle scene in the movie is as great as you get. It's the ultimate fan service seeing everybody like that. They literally take the time to separate all of the characters into little groups to have interactions as the battle goes on. And it's just. Oomph.

When you finish the film you'll be left a sense of loss. The same sense of loss similar to when you finished all 200+ episodes of Gintama. This movie was made for the fans after all. But with this sense of loss and tears on your face, there will also be a grin. A grin that you were able to experience this series, one of the greatest in anime. Period.

As you say goodbye to these characters, to this world you know it'll be painful. But knowing you even got to meet them in the first place was a blessing. You won't forget them and you'll introduce them to as many fans as possible. But is this goodbye forever? Who knows. Sunrise and the author have trolled fans plenty of times before with 'the end of Gintama' even though the series is pretty popular. In fact it's getting Shonen Jump recognition due to its age with the magazine. They're probably waiting until there are enough manga chapters to make another mini Gintama season. But even if not this'd be a fitting end to the series. It brought everything you love about it and more. Thank you Gintoki, Kagura, Shinpachi and gang. You've made a grown man experience joy not unlike my childhood years. Even if we do have to say goodbye forever

We will always be Forever Yorozuya.

Gintama The Final Arc: Be Forever Yorozuya gets a 10/10. Woofdawg Seal of Approval.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV 21

Misao finally gets to see her dad. Sasami is such a bro.

So the balance is finally restored, and Tsunami wins. There has to be something to happen in the last 5 episodes, so Ramia is probably going to try and stir shit one more time even though she's already lost. Hopefully Rumiya won't be such a bitch this time though.
Oh, it fits together.

Shit is about to get REAL.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Captain Earth 3

This really is just Star Driver minus Star Driver's redeeming qualities. Still drowning in jargon.

Andrew J.

Tokyo Godfathers

Watching this because it was on Jexhius's essential anime list. The system works!

I don't think I've ever seen an actual Christmas mass in an anime before.

Hana feels problematic on a number of levels, but this movie's 11 years old and Japanese, so you can't really fault it too much on that score.

Faces are excellent: Both distinct and highly expressive.

There are a lot of extremely fortuitous coincidences in this movie, but it's inspired by the Nativity story so you just have to roll with it, I suppose.

Huh, didn't expect to see any
dark-skinned cross-dressers
until I started on Nanana's Buried Treasure.

That
door falling over
was a great gag, just perfectly timed.

I wrote that line about coincidences a half hour in. Christ on a crutch, was I right about that!

This has gotta be the weirdest chase scene ever.

People say this is the most conventional thing Satoshi Kon ever made, but it's still pretty strange. Which isn't to say that it's not great, chock full to the gills with feels and comedy. I don't know that the film needed an action-packed climax, but it was fun anyway.

Highest recommendation.

Really? Almost a page has gone by and nobody has responded?

I figured that a show where the protagonists power-up their mecha by essentially orgasming inside it would warrant some discussion, but no.

Apparently almost none of you have seen it.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

I figured that a show where the protagonists power-up their mecha by essentially orgasming inside it would warrant some discussion, but no.

I saw the first episode but it left a really bad impression on me.

Hajime no Ippo: Rising 16:
This episode was a great mix of comedy and the setup for the upcoming fight. The reactions everyone had to Aoki and Kimura's opponents were really funny. I also really like Eagle's voice; he sounds mostly like I imagined him when reading the manga. There's not a whole lot to really talk about with this episode, but I found it to be pretty enjoyable overall, particularly with every scene Yagi was in. Takamura's pain also looked pretty real. The animators did a great job at showing how dried out he was from all of his frantic weight loss. That face was kind of terrifying.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Need AnimeGAF's help.

Some asshole on Steam says ketchup on eggs is a weaboo thing because they only see it in anime. That sounds like a load of crap to me.

Which is it?
The people who truly love ketchup put it on EVERYTHING, and the less crazy combinations filter out to others. It's not new in the least and has nothing to do with anything Japanese.

As for hot sauce, try Cholula!

So, what exactly is the general consensus of Aquarion EVOL here on AnimeGAF?

I'm 10 episodes into this show and the only thing really strikingly bad about it is the CG mecha. But as I've said in my impressions of episode 7 I really like the show's spirit, so basically I'm kinda neutral on the whole thing.

But it's weird. Cajun basically said it's "not list worthy" and Zach says it's worth it for this Fudo guy (who I've kept calling Dunban). And that's pretty much all that's been said. Nobody else has commented on the thing aside from that one gif from the show being posted that showed Mikono being dragged away by someone.

So, does anybody here like this show? Does anybody outright hate it? Anybody?
If I had to lean anywhere it'd be on the "I like it" side since the show is ridiculous and hard to take seriously pretty much all the time, which I found much more entertaining than it rightfully should have been. Plus delicious Zessica and Tange Sakura commander whatever.

Also Fudo Zen is the greatest something of all time, I'm just not sure what.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Look at who directed it. The show has not escaped our notice, but for the most part it just has the Happy Birthday scene going for it, from what I understand. You can get better Kawamori elsewhere.

And Devasady also did the mech powered by libido bit.

Look at who directed it. The show has not escaped our notice, but for the most part it just has the Happy Birthday scene going for it, from what I understand. You can get better Kawamori elsewhere.

It has more than just the Happy Birthday scene, there is a bunch of ridiculousness in it that I enjoyed. But yeah, you can definitely get better Kawamori elsewhere. And the show can get pretty frustrating if you don't learn to laugh at how bad the romance angle is.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Need AnimeGAF's help.

Some asshole on Steam says ketchup on eggs is a weaboo thing because they only see it in anime. That sounds like a load of crap to me.

Which is it?

Had salsa with my eggs since I was a kid, not really ketchup I know but close. :lol

Didn't try ketchup until college because I ran out of salsa, no anime influence.

Articalys

Haikyuu!! ep.2

Still enjoyable enough, though not really anything special. That speech from Kageyama talking about the virtues of being a setter was neat. They're doing a nice job with the soundtrack too.

Atelier Escha & Logy ep.2

I want to like this since it's a bit calming, but the barebones production values really aren't helping. Probably not going to bother with the rest of it unless I start to hear realy good things about it.
I'd say I'd just play the game instead, but I really don't like time limits in RPGs. That and it probably relies heavily on stuff from Ayesha.

I saw the first episode but it left a really bad impression on me.

The first episode has got to be one of the biggest WTF moments I've ever experienced going into an anime. The CG mecha came right the hell out of nowhere and there was all this technobabble being screamed at me from every direction.

It has more than just the Happy Birthday scene, there is a bunch of ridiculousness in it that I enjoyed. But yeah, you can definitely get better Kawamori elsewhere. And the show can get pretty frustrating if you don't learn to laugh at how bad the romance angle is.

Well, for what I'm getting I can't say that I'm not entertained. It's not exactly the greatest thing I've seen in my life, but I at least want to keep going. I do like some of the characters, and I really love the OP. Seriously, dat tune.

I'm not exactly taking this show seriously, but despite it's flaws, I'm definetly enjoying this show to some extent.

Peaks early on with the strip-speed and THERE WAS A HOLE HERE episodes. Mediocre otherwise.

That was episode 9 right? The dub almost killed me with that line from the loli commander going
"Don't they say bros before holes?"

Atelier Escha & Logy ep.2

I want to like this since it's a bit calming, but the barebones production values really aren't helping. Probably not going to bother with the rest of it unless I start to hear realy good things about it.
I'd say I'd just play the game instead, but I really don't like time limits in RPGs. That and it probably relies heavily on stuff from Ayesha.

It actually doesn't really rely heavy on stuff from Ayesha. Small call backs but it's not really like it'll hinder your understand of the main plot.

The time limit is extremely lax in the game as well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

There's such a thing as good Kawamori? Not just "good", but good?

So, what exactly is the general consensus of Aquarion EVOL here on AnimeGAF?

I'm 10 episodes into this show and the only thing really strikingly bad about it is the CG mecha. But as I've said in my impressions of episode 7 I really like the show's spirit, so basically I'm kinda neutral on the whole thing.

But it's weird. Cajun basically said it's "not list worthy" and Zach says it's worth it for this Fudo guy (who I've kept calling Dunban). And that's pretty much all that's been said. Nobody else has commented on the thing aside from that one gif from the show being posted that showed Mikono being dragged away by someone.

So, does anybody here like this show? Does anybody outright hate it? Anybody?

Original Aquarion is better.

Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl 187:
They're really dedicating a lot of time to this battle, with it now going onto its third episode. I had figured it would be a two episode fight like most other big fights in the series, but I guess this really helps it stand out. In general, this episode had some amazing music which really gave it an extra pop. Pretty much ever piece was great, but I would really like to highlight the music playing during the Dodaitoise vs Dorapion fight, which was simply incredible. That was just a small part of the episode, but it was executed on perfectly. I also liked how they had the music fade into the eyecatcher really well.

If last episode was showing how Satoshi and Shinji had grown and taken on traits of the other, this episode was about showing Shinji's capacities as a master strategist. He really got one over on Satoshi and forced him to fight in his own pace. It was a really good plan, but Satoshi is a bit too experienced to simply lose because of that, so he manages to come up with something crazy and off the wall to even the odds. Every part of this fight has been a joy to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom