• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Any good rabbit-themed anime that might be worth checking out for Easter today?

ib1n4YU5sG2jmV.jpg

Oh gods please don't.

Eusis

Eusis: Depending on wether Inaba shows up in movie 4(I honestly forget), it should go:

UY TV -> UY OVAs -> UY movie 4 -> UY movie 5

Movie 1 was released around the time they interjected the run of Hoshizora Cycling as an ED and put in an edit of the movie open of "I, I, I, You and Ai".

Movie 2 is about the time Oshii quit at ep 106.

Movie 3 is sometime before the TV show ends.
I personally watched first UY TV with the movies (sans 2) interspersed when they were released in theaters contrasted with air date of TV episodes, then 4 (no Inaba there) then the OVAs, then 6 (just to get the dumb thing out of the way) then closing it all off with 5.

Technically I guess 6 would be after 5 with the cameos it had, but I wanted to end my anime viewing on a GOOD note while still being a completionist, nevermind 5 being the proper manga ending and 6 being one of the worst regarded UY animations made.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rabbit themed anime?

Sailor Moon.

I personally watched first UY TV with the movies (sans 2) interspersed when they were released in theaters contrasted with air date of TV episodes, then 4 (no Inaba there) then the OVAs, then 6 (just to get the dumb thing out of the way) then closing it all off with 5.

Technically I guess 6 would be after 5 with the cameos it had, but I wanted to end my anime viewing on a GOOD note while still being a completionist, nevermind 5 being the proper manga ending.
Why sans 2? Watch it later?

And yeah, movie 6 isn't worth it.

Articalys

Also, I thought the exact style of Nisekoi OP2 seemed familiar, and sure enough it's the same director who did both the Nekomongatari Black and Nekomonogatari White OPs. So if you like it... better hope SHAFT puts this "URA" fellow in charge of more in the future.

I'm probably late on the news, but holy moly I'm happy that Ben-To is finally getting an English dub! I've been waiting for this for a long time. This will be the first anime DVD I buy in a very long time. Like Shin Chan being released on DVD, long time.

Gazoinks

Giant Robo The Animation 1

Hnng, that retro character design. This OVA looks really, really good. The characters designs are a great throwback to 60s anime & manga, and there are a lot of great moments of strong direction and good backgrounds, the opening chase scene being especially standout. The power of OVA budget! Good music also.

The story feels fittingly old-school in setup, but I mean that in a good way. The shadowy organization with their pointy hoods, the exagerratedly evil scientist, the mysterious science artifacts, the dude with GIANT HAIR SPIKES. As someone whose first manga was Astro Boy, this kind of feel makes me happy.

The characters also seems pretty charming. Daisaku played a surprisingly minor role in this episode, but I assume he'll shift into focus going forwards.
Ginrei is waifu.

I guess if you're gonna have a giant robo you might as well just call it giant robo. Is there any particular reason why he has an Egyptian headdress?

For a serious recommendation of rabbit-themed anime, watch Kyousougiga. It's awesome.

That's a good one! Also Bunny Drop if it counts. Not actually about rabbits, but it's right there in the title. :p

Captain America: the Winter Soldier

For a movie called the Winter Soldier, he's not around quite a lot. Dude was just a doof.

Really feels like its been a while since I watched a movie that wasn't anime, because man, shaky cams everywhere for action. I'd be nauseous if I was watching this in 3D.

That being said, it didn't feel like it was overstaying its welcome like Sacred Star of Milos did (and that movie is shorter!), not to mention, it wasn't stupid and nonsensical (because it wasn't written by BONES. Not that it gives Marvel in general much leg room...). Although, it's a bit weird when you consider areas tied from different universes (well, series wise...)and no one chips in to help. I mean, Iron Man got name dropped in the movie. So it's like,yo Iron Man, check this funky shit out. Then again, shared universes are a bit weird like that. A good chunk of this is rambling on my end.
Also Falcon was the shit.

Good movie. And one I didn't pay for (because I was being treated by a friend at the theater)!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, there is "Usagi-chan de Cue!" but the ending is lame as hell.

You might be better off with Miyuki-chan in Wonderland. ;)

wonzo

Banned
zvezda 9-12 END

I wasn't expecting this to make it past the first few episodes before collapsing in on itself so I was pleasantly surprised when it not only managed to keep things together for all of it's run, but the fact they
even tied the incredible smoking episode together with the BIG BAD in the finale
was simply the sweetest cherry on top of this excellent show. Can't wait for the OVA!

Eusis

Why sans 2? Watch it later?

And yeah, movie 6 isn't worth it.
Technically, but more I saw that on Sci-Fi the one time they aired it and it was the one UY movie Netflix didn't have in stock when I binged through the series. If I had to buy them all I certainly would've skipped 6.

2's one I want to revisit sometime, especially now that I have series experience, but it was technically covered while everything else wasn't.

Quasar

Just like Love Lab. Love Lab is awesome. Maki is awesome.

Too bad there won't be a season 2 :(

That's really disappointing. I would have loved a S2, where they actually get a bit closer to actual boys.

And what...its based on a 4 koma. I guess that won't give me what I want.

cajunator

Banned
Did anyone watch Broken Blade? There's a brown cutie there. The synopsis is awful.

Ok, I'm interested.

a brown cutie? Thats usually good but occasionally not what it seems..

Need AnimeGAF's help.

Some asshole on Steam says ketchup on eggs is a weaboo thing because they only see it in anime. That sounds like a load of crap to me.

Which is it?

Ketchup on eggs is gross but alot of people do it.
Personally I like eggs with crawfish and a bit of tabasco on it.

cajunator

Banned
Frank's RedHot sauce on scrambled eggs is great. Don't know how it is on other cooks of eggs, though.

Also...

ATTENTION: I have borrowed Golden Boy from one of my friends, finally. Expect me to watch that this week.

Congratulations, youve just acquired a classic. Be sure to watch it dubbed.

Tokyo Godfathers

Watching this because it was on Jexhius's essential anime list. The system works!

I don't think I've ever seen an actual Christmas mass in an anime before.

Hana feels problematic on a number of levels, but this movie's 11 years old and Japanese, so you can't really fault it too much on that score.

Faces are excellent: Both distinct and highly expressive.

There are a lot of extremely fortuitous coincidences in this movie, but it's inspired by the Nativity story so you just have to roll with it, I suppose.

Huh, didn't expect to see any
dark-skinned cross-dressers
until I started on Nanana's Buried Treasure.

That
door falling over
was a great gag, just perfectly timed.

I wrote that line about coincidences a half hour in. Christ on a crutch, was I right about that!

This has gotta be the weirdest chase scene ever.

People say this is the most conventional thing Satoshi Kon ever made, but it's still pretty strange. Which isn't to say that it's great, chock full to the gills with feels and comedy. I don't know that the film needed an action-packed climax, but it was fun anyway.

Highest recommendation.

Agreed. Another Satoshi Kon treat. This was his least characteristic movie though. It didnt blur fantasy and reality as much. Still a very good movie.

sonicmj1

Wasimo

It's a goofy cartoon for six-year-olds about an old lady robot.

It's not terrible, but I hope Imagawa does better stuff in the future.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
zvezda 9-12 END

I wasn't expecting this to make it past the first few episodes before collapsing in on itself so I was pleasantly surprised when it not only managed to keep things together for all of it's run, but the fact they
even tied the incredible smoking episode together with the BIG BAD in the finale
was simply the sweetest cherry on top of this excellent show. Can't wait for the OVA!

Welcome to team zvezda, best anime of the winter season.

cajunator

Banned
Rin Tohsaka.

I have to agree, BEAR

Speaking of east asian condiments, Tabasco Soy Sauce is too good.

I live about 20 minutes from the Tabasco factory but Ive never heard of tabasco soy sauce. Id like to try it. I have tried tabasco ice cream though.

Holy shit I got to say the ending for Mekakucity Actors is so damn good, the feels that it's emitting is phenomenal. I may sound biased but I don't care it's freakin amazing the best one this season.

http://youtu.be/PiwTUGQA7nI

yeah its one of the better EDs so far.

Agreed.

Rabu Rabo is pure.

endorsed by the master

I guess shaft does something right every now and again

Shaft does everything right.

Any good rabbit-themed anime that might be worth checking out for Easter today?

Getsumen To Heiki Mina!!
Techno magical space bunny girls :D

cajunator

Banned
ib1n4YU5sG2jmV.jpg

Oh gods please don't.

whaaaaat? Fruits Basket is an adorable show. I definitely recommend that.

I'm probably late on the news, but holy moly I'm happy that Ben-To is finally getting an English dub! I've been waiting for this for a long time. This will be the first anime DVD I buy in a very long time. Like Shin Chan being released on DVD, long time.

damn thats quite the break in purchases! What is it you love so much about Ben-To?

Onodera is a sweetheart. How can you hate her?

It's Chitoge and her gorilla hands and strength that needs to drop dead.

She is a sweetheart. Onodera hate makes me cry.

Grzi

zvezda 9-12 END

Would you say this is a good show to marathon in a single night?

Me and a few friends do these anime marathons every few months where we watch a 12 or 13 episode series in one sitting, but I try to find shows that will entertain us, good for group viewings.
We watched Blood-C, School Days (had a ton of fun with them), Eden of the East and Ano Natsu de Matteru (not quite as good, but still ok, although I fell asleep midway through Ano Natsu), so yeah, you can see the stuff that gets a pass.

If anyone else has a suggestion, I'm all for it, but it has to be 1 cour show, and none of us should have seen it, so here's my MAL, for those of you that might not have me on your friend list.

fertygo

Me and a few friends do these anime marathons every few months where we watch a 12 or 13 episode series in one sitting, but I try to find shows that will entertain us, good for group viewings.
We watched Blood-C, School Days (had a ton of fun with them), Eden of the East and Ano Natsu de Matteru (not quite as good, but still ok, although I fell asleep midway through Ano Natsu), so yeah, you can see the stuff that gets a pass.

If anyone else has a suggestion, I'm all for it, but it has to be 1 cour show, and none of us should have seen it, so here's my MAL, for those of you that might not have me on your friend list.

I had blast marathon with Kokoro Connect last night, I can't say its a objectively good show, but its a great ride lol

wonzo

Banned
Haikyuu!! 3

haikyuu3.jpg

This may have just been a "training" episode but the way it was handled, especially with the fantastic animation at the end, made the end results feel very well earned. Hopefully that blond shitheel will get annihilated next episode.

I don't see why not.

Still world is Beautiful 3
sleeping together=ok, kissing? taboo.

Mahouka 3
Today is fanservice day, next episode,
ERADICATE EM

Captain Earth 3
That was an OP rainbow.....

Mekakucity 2
Run Forest Run.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You sir have yet to see, according to MAL:

Tenchi Muyo OVA
El Hazard OVA
Mermaid Forest TV
Crest of the Stars (Really depends on the crowd.)
Maou Dante
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito
The Happy Science films

Kurita

Haikyuu!! 3

haikyuu3.jpg

This may have just been a "training" episode but the way it was handled, especially with the fantastic animation at the end, made the end results feel very well earned. Hopefully that blond shitheel will get annihilated next episode.

I don't see why not.
DTL am cry

Dynedom

Captain EarthWind&Fire - 3

Yes, I'm totally stealing that shtick from whoever started it (was it you, Woofington?)

More technobabble. Bones gon' Bones. Characters make it worthwhile. Akari is good. Hana still best girl. There is a simplicity underneath all the plot threads that I can appreciate.

Cautiously...cautious.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kawaisou 03

I'm okay with Sayaka. She reminds me of a female version of Souma from WORKING!!, with all the same trickery going on. Yes, Ritsu is adorable, but I find myself interested in Mayumi a little more. It's the kind of role that you think would be filled by Hitomi Nabatame, but Rina Satou is doing an admirable job at it. The show always slips through my memory since I catch it so late in the week, but it's a pleasant diversion to end the week on. Solid all around.

The worst part about her is that cleft lip. That shit is never kawaii, its kowai. Kawai is a pretty good show though, best waifu's ice queen persona is starting to show some cracks.

3 weeks in and its my favorite show of the season (caveat I am intentionally not watching any Mushishi until the series is over so I can marathon that greatness).

jgminto

Baby Steps 3

While I was watching this I couldn't help but wonder who Ei-chan's indepth explanations of the basics of tennis are for? Now maybe it's just because I live in Aus, but I don't think I know anyone who doesn't know the basics of tennis. It's quite a simple sport. It didn't seem like an explanation for young kids, it was far too wordy. They're just annoying really. If you need to explain the rules of tennis, show it with play instead.

Soredemo Sekai wa utsukushi - 01

Well, that was better than i hoped.

Main character is cool , you can tell that the sun king has a lot of secrets and a clash of personalities is unavoidable not to mention the military that will make things complicated.
Soredemo%20Sekai%20wa%20Utsukushii%20-%2001.jpg

The story of a third - rate vilain that wanted to be big but was brought down by a gust of wind :)
Pretty cool episode.

Grzi

I had blast marathon with Kokoro Connect last night, I can't say its a objectively good show, but its a great ride lol

You sir have yet to see, according to MAL:

Tenchi Muyo OVA
El Hazard OVA
Mermaid Forest TV
Crest of the Stars (Really depends on the crowd.)
Maou Dante
The Happy Science films

Thanks for the recommendations.

I kind of made a list of stuff that we'd enjoy in that setting (so I don't think Crest of the Stars would fit, although I do plan on watching it by myself lol), I added some other stuff (mostly noitamina shows that I missed), so if someone could help me pick? At least narrow it down to shows that will keep us entertained through the night.
So, here's the list of the things I'm considering:

Kokoro Connect
The Happy Science films (I think this would do well, we could probably finish four films)
Black Lagoon (first season, obviously)
Silver Spoon (also the first season)
Hakaba Kitaro
Library Wars
Mermaid Forest TV
Zvezda

I'm also kind of interested in Fractale, No. 6 and Antique Bakery, but they don't seem quite as good.

Thanks guys.

BluWacky

I'm also kind of interested in Fractale, No. 6 and Antique Bakery, but they don't seem quite as good.

Thanks guys.

Antique Bakery is a pretty good show, but it is super gay and definitely not "so bad it's good" so may not be the best fit for an evening's showing (I don't know what your friendship group is like).

No. 6 is fairly mediocre, and Fractale is disappointingly poor (and not funny because of it, unfortunately).

So basically I don't think any of them are good for a "group watch" setting unless you have a lot of bishounen fans in the group, in which case you should watch Antique Bakery.

IMO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom