• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Haikyu

I know Dresden and wonzo think this is as good as Ping Pong, but holy shit:
cIMsTFkl.jpg

The dude is literally powered by shounen haato. Are you kidding me? lol

Well, what's wrong with that?!

Nordicus

Gintama's "secret sauce"
lol
is that it balances comedy and drama so well. Once you start to get tired of jokes, it suddenly becomes serious with very basic but effective "moral" stories.
Effective is right. It doesn't dwell on the tearjerking scenes or their build-up, you get short scenes, short bits of backstory, then BOOM. When the gladiator champion got stabbed during his escape and his adopted children were oblivious, there wasn't dramatic slowdown or music or anything. He got stabbed, kept riding the cart even though he was bleeding to death, next scene.

Oh, just wait. Just wait!
I fear for my tear ducts

DiGiKerot

Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars (2001, Madhouse, English dub)
There's a lot of convoluted stuff going on in this show that kind of makes sense in the end but doesn't. Honestly the show is 26 episodes long but it probably could have been condensed to 13 if it just focused on the story. Maybe even less. But honestly while the story was kind of interesting in that you wanted to see where it lead it really wasn't the main strength of the show. That was the characters. Not he main character and his alien buddy, but the rest. Also helps that it is full of adult characters and we all know adults are better than children because they are older. That's a good life lesson for all the young viewers of NeoGAF - us adults are better because we are older. So yeah, your brain may switch off when all the political stuff comes up but when the characters are just interacting it's a lot of fun, and quite humorous too. So despite me saying the show could be shorter I never feels padded because the non story stuff feels like a welcome break from the story nonsense.

I dunno, I kind of feel that the stuff that seems entirely against the grain of the main story, as it were, is kind of the point of Shingu - that it doesn't really matter that aliens are attacking because the goddamn school festival needs to be prepared for. My overwhelming lasting impression of that show (which, honestly, I think is one of the great overlooked series of the era) is that it somewhat deliberately inverted the way it portrayed the importance of what other shows would consider the A and the B plots without necessarily drawing too much attention to it. It's rather charming in it's own way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Effective is right. It doesn't dwell on the tearjerking scenes or their build-up, you get short scenes, short bits of backstory, then BOOM. When the gladiator champion got stabbed during his escape and his adopted children were oblivious, there wasn't dramatic slowdown or music or anything. He got stabbed, kept riding the cart even though he was bleeding to death, next scene.

I fear for my tear ducts

Yeah, I never feel like shit for being manipulated into crying by a Gintama arc. The end of the Four Devas arc STILL makes it rain in my room, and I've seen it probably over 20 times now.

C'mon, bro. I know wonzo feels the same way. Ping Pong is based Matsumoto. Haikyuu is an enjoyable, very polished, Shonen Jump adaptation. Liking the latter doesn't mean it matches the former!!!
It's just that they're literally not in the same league. It's like watching a major league team playing against its farm team. :(

I fear for my tear ducts

Later on it's even more hilarious because they literally build up these emotional scenes throughout a whole arc, and you dwell in them for a bit and then LOL TROLLED. It's genius like that, you never know when you're gonna get trolled.

survivor

Banned
It's just that they're literally not in the same league. It's like watching a major league team playing against its farm team. :(

Pretty much how I feel right now after watching episode 3 of Haikyuu. High production values can only do so much when the source material is like this.

Yeah, I never feel like shit for being manipulated into crying by a Gintama arc. The end of the Four Devas arc STILL makes it rain in my room, and I've seen it probably over 20 times now

I haven't seen Gintama more than once since it still dwells pretty well in my memory. But the movie had some pretty emotional scenes throughout as well, mainly involving the ladies.

Personally for me the most emotional scene in an arc, outside of the Four Devas Arc, was either Kintama arc (which was supposed to be funny but had a lot of feels), and the Elizabeth Star Wars arc. In fact the latter's ending still for me is the most brilliant ending in the show. Just played with your emotions throughout.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty much how I feel right now after watching episode 3 of Haikyuu. High production values can only do so much when the source material is like this.
I think I would like it more if it was my first sports shounen or, alternatively, there wasn't Ping Pong to compare it to.

I haven't seen Gintama more than once since it still dwells pretty well in my memory. But the movie had some pretty emotional scenes throughout as well, mainly involving the ladies.

Personally for me the most emotional scene in an arc, outside of the Four Devas Arc, was either Kintama arc (which was supposed to be funny but had a lot of feels), and the Elizabeth Star Wars arc. In fact the latter's ending still for me is the most brilliant ending in the show. Just played with your emotions throughout.

The Elizabeth Arc is amazing because that's when they started using the music to troll you. These are guys who are aware that they are producing things on a predictable formula, but understand that the formula works and there's really no reason to fuck with it. It's like, Coke is good just as it is... why try and make New Coke?

Kurita

I think I would like it more if it was my first sports shounen or, alternatively, there wasn't Ping Pong to compare it to.

episodes 4-infinity:
They try harder, lose some games, then win some more games, before aiming for the championship.

Good description of what a sports shounen is!
I don't know why you want to compare it to Ping Pong.

cajunator

Banned
Golden Time - 1~24

If there's one thing I can say about GT it's that it brings literally all the feels. It's filled with happy moments, sad moments, funny moments, deep moments, and any type of emotion.
And it does that without feeling it's trying a lot of things, it succeeds in mixing all those different feelings in a concise package, like life itself.
The characters are all great and everyone had their share of growth. Especially Kouko who went form a kinda shallow overly attached girl to someone who can enjoy her friends and life by itself.
I liked the music as well, as it complemented a lot of scenes and was really noticeable.
The only thing I didn't like was ghost Banri. It was kinda out of place, especially that scene on the last episode.
What the hell was that? Was he hallucinating with ghost Banri? The Linda that appears, was she the real Linda or a hallucination? And like, she comes saying yes, she loves Banri, hugs the ghost (WTF) than say yes to everything, including his love for Kouko and WAT? And Kouko was right there in front of them, how could she not see/hear them? And the ring magically going back into his pocket? What. The. Hell?

Overall, really enjoyable series. It kinda feels like a more mature Toradora!, which I also love. Would recommend to everybody.

Golden time was occasionally aggravating but I dont regret watching at all.

Do it for Noa!

Pshhh as if a cute girl will lure me into watching it
im gonna watch it

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Good description of what a sports shounen is!
lol, I edited it out because I thought it was a bit harsh, but yes it is.

The thing is that you can still do interesting things within that formula, which is why there are so many iconic sports movies that are still relevant decades after they were released.

Dresden

They're not in the same league, and they don't need to be. Haikyuu doesn't have to match one of the best sport manga ever created (from one of the greatest mangaka ever) to be enjoyable on its own.

Mr.Jeff

Firehawk: white people TV
You: Still need to give me full Strike Witch rankings (and also secretly lewd)
Top Tier:
Erica, Shirley, Marseille
High Tier:
Lucchini, Perrine, Barkhorn, Elia
Mid Tier:
Sanya, Lynette, Mina, Shizuka
Low Tier:
Miyafuji, Sakamoto
Should be a casualty of the war:
Michiko

As for lewd, you know the correct answer.

lol, I edited it out because I thought it was a bit harsh, but yes it is.

The thing is that you can still do interesting things within that formula, which is why there are so many iconic sports movies that are still relevant decades after they were released.

If only Ping Pong could be as good as Space Jam

Kurita

Haikyuu!! 3

I'm falling in love with the OST. So many great tunes that perfectly fit the anime.
Pretty unenventful episode but the good production values made it worth watching.
Tanaka's song was really funny.

Grzi

What's the best order for me (and my friends) to watch the Happy Science movies? Since we're marathoning, we'll probably only watch four of them, so should we start with the oldest one and watch them in order, or skip some of them?

One Week Friends 3:
This was the best episode yet of the show. It got fairly heavy during there, but there were also some really tender moments. Shogo can be a bit of a jerk sometimes, but he also seems like a dependable guy.
Fujimiya overhearing what the other girls were saying about her and then Shogo coming in and helping her out
was a great scene, which equally mixed the serious pain (as a teenager feels it, at least) and tenderness. The ending of the episode was also really good.
I felt just as excited as Hase when Fujimiya mentioned that she remembered cooking during the previous week.

This is such a heartfelt show, both when it is dealing with the suffering as well as with the joy and tenderness, and that makes every moment that the characters experience feel like it has been earned. Coupled with the direction of the show, the visual look and the excellent music, this creates a really strong show which is the standout of the season for me right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom