• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will live on in our hearts

It's hard for me to choose favorite characters outside of the core cast. But If I had to choose top three it'd be:

1. Katsura (he comes packaged with Elizabeth)
2. Madao (his suffering makes me laugh too much, also his heart of gold gives me feels)
3. Kondo. aka gori-chan.

If more of AnimeGAF watched the show I'd love to do a character ranking poll. In the bottom for me it'd probably be Kyuubei since her only role is to substitute Katsura as the serious face but wacky shenanigans swordmaster. Funny enough even Katsura gets pissed at her lol

Crocodile

Whether it was malicious or not isn't really relevant, because of the culture and history surrounding the idea. Ultimately, even if the person wasn't intending to push for an agenda of 'white is beautiful', there is a history surrounding that idea, and it needs to be called out.

There's also a huge difference between something like this versus making jokes amongst friends. With your friends, you understand where the lines are, and you know each other well enough that you can appreciate that it's all being done as a joke. The line for something done anonymously on the internet is a lot different.

Part of the reason why something like this needs to be called out is because there are people who don't really understand how damaging it can be. The concept of 'white beauty' and of portraying a standard movie/TV beauty look (basically skinny white girls) has damaged a lot of people in terms of causing millions of people to hate themselves, trying to change their look, etc. Not to mention the pervasiveness in causing men to view that as the only standard of beauty and look down on anyone who doesn't fit it.

I doubt anyone is going to be crying themselves to sleep because of that recolor job, but it's just another example of a very disturbing trend in contemporary western society, regardless of what the intent was on the part of the person who did it. Speaking out about it in a forum like this can at least lead to some people who had never really thought about the issue before giving it some more thought and maybe considering this in their future interactions with people, how they judge other people, etc.

YMI5d.gif

Um... should I not have posted that picture then? Now I feel terrible about doing so.

Why feel bad? It's clearly encouraged good conversation and we clearly see some people have already learned something. I know its not directly anime-related but it is certainly more simulating, interesting and beneficial than

Poster A: "How shitty/pandering is ________"
Poster B: "So shitty/pandering!"

Sorry this is pretty much an "about me" post. I asked those questions for my personal understanding, and at this point I don't feel comfortable making declarations or arguments until I've thought about it some more, but I feel that it's a post that's worth responding to.

I don't deny it at all. This is definitely a topic for which I have to do more introspection, because I know I'm guilty of seeing this part of a larger issue--racism against black people in general--which concerns other people (particularly white and black people) without thinking of how I've been socially conditioned.

I think this goes to the root of what I was curious about, and really helps me put some things together. My knee-jerk reaction to this was, "Well, people want to see characters in skin tones they like. That's why people recolored the girl in Captain Earth and why people recolored the characters in my example," but reading over your post again and sitting on it a little made me realize that I was completely missing your point and that my knee-jerk reaction is probably symptomatic of the problem.

The tough part for me to deal with is that it seems so tied to my way of thinking that I can't imagine not being a subconscious racist even though it isn't something I want to be. Thanks for the insightful post. I can't say I've completely internalized it or that I can completely empathize. Even worse, I've heard similar perspectives on NPR and other talk shows, but I've never really thought about how I was involved until now. I'll try to be more conscientious of how my socialization affects how I see things and hopefully it'll sink in eventually. :<

Yeah these sorts of issues are always super hard because if you aren't in the afflicted group you have to REALLY think outside your own perspective to even see an issue. To be 100% clear, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I just wanted to clarify how the situations presented are different and it appears I've accomplished as much so I'm glad :)

Not to stir the pot, but isn't the aim of tanning to be seen as more beautiful? Well at least in the UK it seems to be. A good tan is seen as healthy (of course being orange from overuse of the instant tan isn't) whereas in places like India it's the opposite and they have whitening cream.

I admit that I'm not entirely sure what the deal with tanning is. I know it used to be looked down upon since it was usually outdoor workers who got tans and the rich wanted no part of that association. Nowadays I think it might be (again I'm unsure) tied to affluence - i.e. you're rich enough and have enough leisure time to waste your time getting a tan or spending a lot of time at the beach (which often involves a lot of travel to reach). Some degree of exoticism may play into it as well. All that being said I feel it's disingenuous to equate that to skin bleaching. Even the tannest individual ranks no more than light skinned from the perceptive of any dark-skinned ethnicity.

@Branduil: I know this conversation isn't explicitly about anime but its still a good conversation. I REALLY hope you aren't trying to carpet bomb it or something by posting that silliness. (I'm not saying you are necessarily doing that but I have like NO IDEA why you decided now of all times was the time to post that)

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Oh, and since Nico Robin was just posted in this thread, what was the deal with her? Why the hell did they bleach her skin? Did the anime mess up originally when they introduced her around Alabasta? Was she always supposed to be so pale? Or is something more nefarious at play?

From what I heard previously she was always supposed to be light skinned but honestly she looked so much better being brown. She had this exotic appeal that complimented her cowgirl getup excellently. Now she's kinda generic and lacks the visual "pop" she had when she first joined the crew. Their "redesign" of her is one of the things I hate the most about post time skip One Piece.

From what I heard previously she was always supposed to be light skinned but honestly she looked so much better being brown. She had this exotic appeal that complimented her cowgirl getup excellently. Now she's kinda generic and lacks the visual "pop" she had when she first joined the crew. Their "redesign" of her is one of the things I hate the most about post time skip One Piece.

Yes, Oda had always drawn her as white in color pieces but the animators drew her as tanned, not sure on the specifics as to why. I can agree that she looks better tanned.

Phi Brain S3 E14

:dtl INTENSIFIES

Overall pretty great though, awesome puzzle and really gave a lot of development for quiet a few members of the cast.

cajunator

Banned
Brown girls list &#9829;
May be nsfw

[http://krazzykamaali.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/female-brown-anime-characters/

QUOTE=Crocodile;108858750]Because they are racist (be it consciously or subconsciously)? It is a bit hard to pin down her ethnicity given her very anime-esque design but this photoshop was almost certainly done because the person in question thought "hey, she would look better with lighter skin" which just plays in the larger narrative dating from colonial times that denotes lighter skin as beautiful and darker skin as ugly that still afflicts modern society :([/QUOTE]

some just dont understand. Thats ok. More brown girls for the rest of us.

Infinite Stratos CD 7

pkFcaSd.gif

Tatenashi is love. The only IS girl who can remotely compare to Charles perfection.

Narag

Wizardry

This is so strange, it's a '91 OVA that's an adaptation of the first Wizardry game: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. It's not like it's full of nods to the game but rather a adapting a playthrough with a loose story on top. What do all these spells & items do? If I'd played the game, I'd know!

Otherwise it's what's to be expected from something from this time with a straightforward fantasy approach and some nice animation, especially when it comes to the effects.

Since this is also a gaming forum, what's neat is how the monster designs are adhered to, and, apparently stay consistent in later games. I suppose it makes stuff instantly recognizable for a fan of the franchise.

Soriku

Is there a point where Ippo starts getting really good? I'm on episode 17-18, and I like the slice of life stuff, but I'm finding the matches themselves kinda boring.

Also, can anyone recommend any really good team sport animes besides Kuroko and One Outs?

It's hard for me to choose favorite characters outside of the core cast. But If I had to choose top three it'd be:

1. Katsura (he comes packaged with Elizabeth)
2. Madao (his suffering makes me laugh too much, also his heart of gold gives me feels)
3. Kondo. aka gori-chan.

If more of AnimeGAF watched the show I'd love to do a character ranking poll. In the bottom for me it'd probably be Kyuubei since her only role is to substitute Katsura as the serious face but wacky shenanigans swordmaster. Funny enough even Katsura gets pissed at her lol

Top three for me are probably Gintoki, Hijikata, then someone else. The whole cast is good though.

Kurita

Is there a point where Ippo starts getting really good? I'm on episode 17-18, and I like the slice of life stuff, but I'm finding the matches themselves kinda boring.

Also, can anyone recommend any really good team sport animes besides Kuroko and One Outs?
I'd love to recommend Eyeshield 21 but unfortunately the anime is quite bad compared to the manga (which is the best sports manga ever made).
Haikyuu!! is ongoing and so far it's been a neat adaptation of the manga so you can watch that.

Personally I think I'm about as far as you are with Ippo, and I still enjoy the fights, It's just that at least up until the point I've watched there doesn't seem to be a risk of him losing. We know he'll pull through because he has to for the sake of moving on the plot. Maybe once he starts doing competitions there's more of a chance he'll lose.

As to team anime I don't know many. If you want a sports story though, I can't recommend the Baby Steps manga enough. The currently airing anime isn't doing it justice and the manga gets really good after a certain amount of chapters, which will take forever on a week by week basis for the anime. But that's the tennis life of one guy and a group of friends who are side characters.

Eusis

I'll always find it weird how popular and influential the Wizardry series is in Japan
I think it's weirder this sort of back and forth that's happened. NA produces some hardcore RPGs that define the genre, they get adapted in Japan for console RPGs, then they think the console RPGs are too hardcore for the US and may dumb them down. It's really bizarre when you look at it that way, though maybe marketing sees things differently.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tatenashi is love. The only IS girl who can remotely compare to Charles perfection.
Russia is best. Everyone else is Crimea!

---

Mekakucity Actors
Z2IZJcWl.jpg

YES SHAFT IN MY EYE SOCKETS

I already loved the hell out of the episode, but the insert song at the end was icing on the cake. I am assuming the socalled "Actors" are being assembled, but I really have no idea what this show is about beyond that. This is just Shaft doing Monogatari in a non-monogatari story. lol

Soriku

I'd love to recommend Eyeshield 21 but unfortunately the anime is quite bad compared to the manga (which is the best sports manga ever made).
Haikyuu!! is ongoing and so far it's been a neat adaptation of the manga so you can watch that.

Personally I think I'm about as far as you are with Ippo, and I still enjoy the fights, It's just that at least up until the point I've watched there doesn't seem to be a risk of him losing. We know he'll pull through because he has to for the sake of moving on the plot. Maybe once he starts doing competitions there's more of a chance he'll lose.

As to team anime I don't know many. If you want a sports story though, I can't recommend the Baby Steps manga enough. The currently airing anime isn't doing it justice and the manga gets really good after a certain amount of chapters, which will take forever on a week by week basis for the anime. But that's the tennis life of one guy and a group of friends who are side characters.

I'll pretty much only watch sports anime, not read any manga. Haikyuu seems like it might be good but I'm waiting for more episodes to come out before trying it.

With Ippo, I don't mind that he's winning, but the matches are just PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH, duck, cover, block, punch some more. So they're not that interesting...at least not up to this point. I think I just prefer the team sport structure too.

Space Brothers 93:
Well, that's about what I was expecting for the captain after the setup in the previous episode. It was nice to have an episode mostly focused around Eddie, who has been shown a couple of times but hasn't really had a lot of screen time so far. Seeing things from his perspective and watching him grapple with a pretty big decision for his life was really moving, and I loved seeing the scene of him looking at the photos. Hopefully he can bring that team into shape.

Sharon's scenes were brief, but very effective, and she seemed to leave a great impression on Butler. It was nice to see him being inspired by that some when he had his conversation with Eddie. They've really done a great job in recent episodes of showing what a good guy Chief Butler is.

You're coming up on the point where I think the fights in Ippo start getting really good, so at least see through the end of the Rookie King Tournament. There's a lot of really great stuff ahead.

The best team sports anime is absolutely Ookiku Furikabutte, which is really, really strong both in terms of the sports technique as well as the care put into showing each game.

Haikyuu! Episode 3

This anime is really entertaining and the visuals are really good. The way they blended the music with some scenes captured the atmosphere nicely and I do love the opening. The blonde dude seems like a jerk but he'll probably redeem himself later on. I really love the expression some of the characters show it's just really entertaining especially Tanaka. Can't wait till next week.

cajunator

Banned
I see Laura, Tatenashi and Char. Sadly this will be watched. I have become as bad as firehawk. Truly I am a monster. ._.

youre watching for all the right reasons.

3qpXwDVl.jpg

Random Aria pic!

always a welcome sight.

Top Tier:
Erica, Shirley, Marseille
High Tier:
Lucchini, Perrine, Barkhorn, Elia
Mid Tier:
Sanya, Lynette, Mina, Shizuka
Low Tier:
Miyafuji, Sakamoto
Should be a casualty of the war:
Michiko

As for lewd, you know the correct answer.

Sanya too low!

Looks trippy enough to add to the queue.

Is that the right call?

Absolutely it is.

Tonari No Seki-Kun 16

Lol at the faces. It's adorable how she gets just as into the games as Seki-kun does. I especially loved the laugh this episode.
LDDbIzi.gif

Personally another Shogi episode seems a bit like beating a dead horse at this point but eh.

edit: changed for you narag

Nobunaga The Fool Episode 15

Just realized that the people in the show are correct
Everyone Ranmaru goes death follows, both before she was on the show, while shes been around Nobunaga, and now even here in the other world
. Pretty tragic.

Haikyuu! 3

I don't like the blonde guy. I hope he gets bopped next episode.

Why did you miss where Tsuki said it doesnt matter to him or Yamaguchi if they win or not. I dont understand how one can dislike Tsuki, he has the right attitude compared to everyone, he just want to play volleyball and have some fun, whats unlikeable about that?
tumblr_n4btj6OjnR1scxk8yo2_500.jpg

Nordicus

I can't blame you for having second thoughts at this point in particular, since Kobashi's boxing style is really lame and some of the animation during that part is really janky.

Hajime no Ippo had my total attention after the Ippo vs Miyata starting matches, so trying to tell a point where it gets better from that might be tricky, but umm...

I guess starting from episode 23 it should be getting better because you're going to get characters with far better lasting impressions, both in and outside the ring, starting with Mashiba. With the exception of Kobashi, who's defined by his weakness and fighting for points, my mind goes completely blank if you try to ask me about the fighting styles of pre-Mashiba fighters.

With Ippo, I don't mind that he's winning, but the matches are just PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH, duck, cover, block, punch some more. So they're not that interesting...at least not up to this point. I think I just prefer the team sport structure too.
The fights will get more technical as Ippo gets more experienced and his opponents start using more unique and defined fighting styles with strengths and weaknesses that he studies beforehand, but yeah, this is still boxing, and Ippo still isn't the most intelligent, trickiest fighter in the cast. So punchy punchy

Edit: Also, many of the fighting styles and attacks used in the show, save a few, are actually based on real life boxers but given that shonen exaggeration

Gazoinks

Giant Robo The Animation 2

What kind of power core has a giant ornate eye? And is mobile?

Good episode, although the almost 11 minute recap at the beginning was kind of a bummer. Makes sense though, since these were produced so far apart. Big difference between watching it over a week and watching it over six years.

The animation continues to be really good. Of special mention was the introduction of the two new fighters whose names I can't remember near the beginning and the ending sequence pictured above. I have to say that there's a surprising amount of hand-to-hand fighting for what's ostensibly a super robot show, which is pretty neat. Everything feels all operatic and larger than life, and all the heroes being super powered martial artists feeds into that.

It's interesting that
the villains "succeeded" already. Of course they didn't truly since they've still got to get the last Specimen, but they've already started up the core thingy and started wiping out all the power.

BluWacky

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Given that new Gonzo produced shows that looked exactly like old Gonzo, but without any of the slightly crazy ideas that made old Gonzo entertaining and occasionally brilliant, this is not a surprise.

(Also at link: Sakuracon panel reports with Hiroshi Nagahama of Mushishi fame and more info from Range Murata, designer of Last Exile.)

Thanks for the link - interesting reports. I wonder what Nagahama's original superhero show would be like?

I hope that Range Murata genuinely did say that he thought the shift in tone between Last Exile's two seasons was "unfortunate". Shame on you, Koichi Chigira!

survivor

Banned
One Week Friends 3

I think I should stop giving a shit about how the amnesia thing work and just enjoy the friendship drama. The few bits of conflict have been alright so far.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 3

As others have said, it's gonna be painful to see the MC go after the wrong girl, but that's the curse of romcoms.

Narag

Giant Robo The Animation 2

Of special mention was the introduction of the two new fighters whose names I can't remember near the beginning and the ending sequence pictured above. I have to say that there's a surprising amount of hand-to-hand fighting for what's ostensibly a super robot show, which is pretty neat. Everything feels all operatic and larger than life, and all the heroes being super powered martial artists feeds into that.

Here's an easy way to remember their names. Also Imagawa likes himself some wuxia.

Midonin

C - Control 01-04

I tried watching this one with my brother (who's majoring in economics), but we never got very far - because he was occupied, mostly, though he did find the show "a little creepy". There's also a part of me that doesn't want to leave things unfinished, so this is my second time seeing episodes 1-3.

The vibe I'm getting off the show is similar to the ongoing Wixoss, only that the cards are credit cards. Msyu is one of my main reasons for watching - a cute girl in a skimpy outfit with a Tomatsu voice, that's pretty charming. Mikuni's an interesting antagonist/rival/mentor, and Masakaki is just freaky. I like how all the battle attacks are based on real financial things, even if what most of them are is completely lost on me. Ebara losing his kids nicely introduced some real stakes into this, and so, I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Finding out that the director is the same guy who did Gatchaman Crowds explains a lot. The show's certainly got a unique visual flair to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom