• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 3 [Endless Eight 2]
haruhisuzumiya3.jpg
Thoughts during episode:

- Here we go.
- This is a little different then what I was expecting.
- They are really accentuating Haruhi's..... "features".
- Different swimsuits then the last episode.
- They are saying the same lines with a slight variation. That's a little annoying.
- Getting Tatami Galaxy vibes from this and I don't like it.
- Hahahaha. Okay that was new and funny.
- Nagato is giving me the impression she knows what's happening.
- Oh oh I can guess what will happen next!
- Lines are certainly recycled but the animation isn't.
Haruhi: 1
Tatamy Galaxy: 0
- Nagato seems depressed.
- Them working in those costumes is funny no matter how many times they do it.
- This is different. Mikuru crying is funny and adorable no matter the circumstance. I am a horrible person.
- 15,498 times. Lol. This must suck for Nagato.
- This should be fun.
- Awww. Haruhi and Mikuru sleeping together is cute.
- Lol Koi is funny.
- Snap. This makes things seem pretty dire.
- Kyon your such a quitter. This is basically all Kyon's fault because he doesn't want to do what is necessary.

Summary:

I foretell of Endless Eight being exactly structured like Tatami Galaxy except the reused animation. There's enough new here to make me chuckle but I can see this getting on my nerves after a while. Let's see how far I can go before I break.

cnet128

Banned
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3

There's something very appealing about watching Tatsuya just dominate everyone. He's just so goddamn cool and slick about it the whole time. Never bats an eyelash, he just steps in without the slightest hesitation and incapacitates whoever the fuck he likes. Power fantasy? Perhaps. But it's a well-realised one.

Something feels a little incongruous about the way the discrimination issue was handled when he was introduced to the other Discipline Committee members, though. The president explained that she specifically selects members who are more accepting than the norm, but for all that, the other members were perfectly ready to look down on him for being a Weed until they heard he had bested an elite guy in a fight. It's like the message being given is "it's not okay to discriminate against the less gifted...as long as they're actually incredibly gifted". So, uh, yeah.

Oh, and what the hell at that
backup restoration
scene.

Syrinx

And Yet The Town Moves 10

2deep4me

Time travel, aliens and alien technology, spirits wandering in limbo...these last two episodes have been pretty...adventurous. I did like the segment with the spirit of Granny's deceased husband though. Especially when Granny had Toshiko put the coffee at the booth he was sitting in only to drink it herself.

Eusis

I foretell of Endless Eight being exactly structured like Tatami Galaxy except the reused animation. There's enough new here to make me chuckle but I can see this getting on my nerves after a while. Let's see how far I can go before I break.
At least you don't need to wait two months for more Haruhi like those watching in real time.

But then there's the angle of SHARED SUFFERING then whereas today I imagine for most people they're healed over scars.

789shadow

Banned
The Irregular at Magic High School 1

Yeah, I would be watching this if it didn't have the unbearable sort-of romance between the main siblings. Lost all taste for that shit after SAO. Might pick it back up next year if it makes some noise in AOTY voting, but I doubt it.

Oh, and what the hell at that
backup restoration
scene.

His sister did enough damage to technically kill him and apparently that's how they "joke" around cause she knows she can't really hurt him.
One of his powers is to revert back to a "copy" of his healthy state when he gets injured enough automatically

cnet128

Banned
His sister did enough damage to technically kill him and apparently that's how they "joke" around cause she knows she can't really hurt him.
One of his powers is to revert back to a "copy" of his healthy state when he gets injured enough automatically

Yeah, that's what I thought happened, but I wasn't entirely sure because...what the hell >.>

Phi Brain S3 E16

Well I was guessing it would be Pythagoras, didn't expect it to be
Orpheus the creator of the rings who had taken over Jin's mind

Pretty incredible puzzle looking forward to seeing how this finale plays out

fertygo

I can't make this shit up even if I tried, wow..

cnet128

Banned
Seikoku no Dragonar 3

Another episode, another set of excuses to get Eco completely naked. This time she spends some time in an inner-psyche type realm (where clothing is presumably unnecessary)...and yes, we also have the good old trope of lewd tentacles that secrete clothing-dissolving fluids. Shame? What's that? I'm pretty sure this show has never heard of it.

On the slightly more tasteful side of things, the MC has a cool scarf now.

Mature

Patlabor TV Series Final Thoughts
ibcPMzYQv63Ni.png

I finished the Patlabor "New OVA Series" which concludes the TV Series' continuity. The OVA Series acts like less of a collection of bonus episodes and more like an actual fifteen episode addition to the normal TV series, but with the typical added benefits of being an OVA, like being a bit more lax on censorship and having the time to be more consistent in production. Even though it just felt like an addition, these episodes were home to some of the absolute best that Patlabor had to offer, so these episodes are certainly not to be missed.

My expectation coming into the show was excited, but tempered. I know lately we've had a few people in here who have done backlog watches of Patlabor: The Movie and Patlabor 2: The Movie. They're a great entry way into the fiction, in that they're extremely solid movies in their own right, but they leave enough of the characters unexplained to get you excited for more. The above movies have incredible releases that are dirt cheap on Amazon. Seriously, if you're even slightly interested, putting down the $14.99 for the DVD is a really easy decision. They're beautifully breathtaking films and a highlight of a great creator's career. Though, to say that the movies are a snippet of what you'll find in the TV series would be false advertising. The movies are very muted and introspective, where as the TV Series is more about the quirky antics of SV2.

The production quality of the TV Series is plenty serviceable. Character art is generally on point and Akemi Takada's character designs are attractive and charming. When the show wants to put on a spectacle for it's Labor fights, it succeeds well enough. It's never too extravagant, but it keeps you in the show, and is certainly a sight for sore eyes after seeing all the garish mechanical CG of modern anime. Kenji Kawai's soundtrack is good. It's not in the same playing field as his excellent compositions for the movies, but it still works— if sounding a bit dated. You can kind of see it from the above shots, but the show has a great character palette. It really helps emphasize the colorful personalities of all of the officers. A lot of the shots in the show look as though tender care was put into them.

Patlabor becomes something really special when it turns itself into a play ground for the writers of Headgear; Mamoru Oshii being principal among them. The one-shot nature of the show allows them to go from an episode rife with political commentary, to a goofball parody episode without feeling disjointed. The experience is cathartic; the charming camaraderie of SV2 coupled with the extravagant and varying plot lines of "Near Future" Tokyo 1998-2002 make Patlabor The TV Series one that's not to be overlooked. And with Maiden Japan putting the whole series (sans the 2nd OVA series) out in BD, now's as good a time as any to dive in. And while I heavily suggest seeing it on Blu-Ray, the whole series is also streaming over at Hulu. Go check it out!

sonicmj1

This is further evidence of the intentional parallels between Tatsuya and Miyuki and certain characters in Hindu mythology that I mentioned in an earlier post.

EDIT: dresden found a blog post that explores this topic more thoroughly with more specific examples from the LN. Thanks, dresden!

Brynhildr 3

Damn, ARMS squandered a perfect opportunity to do more with that little skirmish. Oh well, there will be more action coming up. At least girl with the Elfen Lied powers finally showed up.

Aquarion EVOL - 14

W...Whoa.

Okay, first of all, I applaud the studio who made this for not playing the really exhilarating and OP after what happened in the last episode.

Second, this was a really well done
"meaning of life"
episode.

So it turns out that Jin wasn't the only one who had died in that battle, but a bunch of other students too, so everyone is scared out of their minds.

So Fudo suggests that everybody will learn to appreciate life better if they bury themselves along with the dead (with airholes to breath of course).

From that point on, we're given a really solemn look upon life and death as the characters come to terms that this is what they'll eventually become. Nothing but rotting corpses deep beneath the Earth. Then Mikono's power activates and we're given a "appreciate the now rather than despair about the future" speech. What really sells this scene is how enchanting it becomes. When everyone is buried, it was all dark and quiet, and just felt like nothing. But when everyone is learning to appreciate life more, the more lights show up on screen and it becomes much more pleasant for everybody, as it doesn't feel like nothing anymore and all sense of despair is washed away. Seriously, the music, the animation, and just about everything about that scene was beautiful.

Seriously, this is the best the show has been so far. I never would have imagined seeing a scene like this when it started, and I applaud it for that.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Tonari no Seki-kun! 16

I'll be honest, when I saw the black Western chess pieces going to do battle with the shogi pieces I was expecting commentary on this:

PerryBlackShips.jpg

But that would be too much of a history lesson! We're supposed to be screwing off in class, you know?

Quasar

The fact that there's so many answers to that question is hilarious.

And a little sad.

Thats probably more indicative of what people watch here. After all there's probably ten billion anime so of course we can rattle off plenty. I could do the same with US movies and TV shows.

Syrinx

Mgical Girl Pretty Sammy 22

Ayeka shows up to give Ramia one last go at taking down Tsunami in her inauguration. She said she was gonna make the annoying girl with a crush on Hiroto the next magical girl, but instead representative with a pole up her ass became it instead, and she's called Love Me Eimi. Okay. she's immune to Pretty Coquettish Bomber so that's kinda a problem for Sammy. But Misao's gonna do something. Pixy Misa bout to make an apperance for good motherfucker.

Eusis

what animes that sell well that aren't unabashedly straightforward about its own fanservice/lewdness?
Pokemon presumably. Though that's a different kind of fanservice.

Probably also Doraemon.

EDIT: Actually I missed the implication of those that are just SUBTLE about fanservice/lewdness, rather than it being absent altogether. Well, Pokemon might still count with some of those Pokemon designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom