• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even if you didn't, I'd have assumed you would find out through cultural osmosis.
Nope. This is my only source of Gundam news. lol

(The reason why I prefer Macross to Gundam is some arbitrary preference to space planes over mechas, so I never really bothered with Gundam other than some dubbed episodes of Wing back in the day).

zeroshiki

Nope. This is my only source of Gundam news. lol

(The reason why I prefer Macross to Gundam is some arbitrary preference to space planes over mechas, so I never really bothered with Gundam other than some dubbed episodes of Wing back in the day).

But Macross planes turn into... mechas...?

Just admit that you liked Minmei more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But Macross planes turn into... mechas...?

Just admit that you were liked Minmei more.
Oh, I know they turn into mechas, but I vastly prefer their f-14 forms more. lol

I also think I just prefer old fashioned WW2-in-space-carrier battles, which is something you don't really get when the mechas are basically all god tier machines with their own unique super powers.

Come for the current HxH episode reactions in spoiler tags. See the HxH spoilers for episodes coming out weeks int he future not in spoiler tags.

zeroshiki

Oh, I know they turn into mechas, but I vastly prefer their f-14 forms more. lol

I also think I just prefer old fashioned WW2-in-space-carrier battles, which is something you don't really get when the mechas are basically all god tier machines with their own unique super powers.

Older Gundams were like that *sigh*

The Gundam series covering the One Year War have got you covered (That's Mobile Suit Gundam, 8th MS Team and 0080: War in the Pocket).

wonzo

Banned
Puchimas!! 18-20
puchimasus218.jpg
puchimasus218a.jpg

puchimasus218b.jpg
puchimasus219.jpg

Man, these lil' motherfuckers are far more entertaining than any pet could be. I want one. :(

Tonari no Seki-kun 16

tonariseki16.jpg

rip seki

sonicmj1

If you were to prioritise any of these make it 0080: War in the Pocket. It's only six 30 minute episodes and is seen as one of the top tier series in Gundam.

Not only that, Backlog Season will be rolling into 0080: War in the Pocket starting Tuesday, May 6th! You'll get to be part of the zeitgeist!

Just powered through all of death note in 3 or 4 days. Light is probably one of the most morally corrupt characters I've ever seen in any medium of entertainment.

tumblr_inline_mza0n0vvmU1rkfeas.gif

kira-s-laugh-2-o.gif

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 10

Perv-chan really is the best.

But seriously,
kind of hate people who use a position of authority as a status symbol, while piling the workload onto everyone else. Then again, Yukino did pretty much brush the chairman aside and decided to take over pretty much everything, so while the chairman is at fault for slacking off, it seems as though Yukino is at fault for acting as an enabler.
I'm wondering if Yukino's being sincere here, since if this is a lesson she's trying to teach the chairman, it's a rather cruel one, and if she is being sincere, it suggests a dangerous personality defect.

I remember this episode. Dangerous is a good word for what is going on in the show.

Rebellion. NOW.
Holy shit.
Ending redeemed, that has to be one of the best anime movies I have seen.
Need Blu-ray asap.

If you were to prioritise any of these make it 0080: War in the Pocket. It's only six 30 minute episodes and is seen as one of the top tier series in Gundam.
This, you could love 0080 without even liking Gundam.
Wing was the only Gundam I ever liked, watched 0080 and it got me to binge watch every Gundam series that summer.

jgminto

Just powered through all of death note in 3 or 4 days. Light is probably one of the most morally corrupt characters I've ever seen in any medium of entertainment.

I think focusing the show on him as the villain was a great choice. I was rooting for L but I feel like the show would have been pretty standard if L was the main character.

Patlabor 2: The Movie

With all of the peace and war talk going on in this, I couldn't shake the feeling that the screenplay was attempting to evoke a Cold War scenario. Not only do I say that because of the internal/external paranoia and mostly snow drenched Winter setting, but Oshii seemed to be expanding on the bird imagery further here than he was in the first film.

Similar to the, at times literal, birdcage motif from Patlabor: The Movie, there are frequent shots of a bird or flock depicted on a surface with lines running across it as if it was, yet again, a birdcage. It can act as a form of shelter, a sense of security and protection, but it's also a suppressor to those within it. It keeps things in order very much like how the government is seen running the city in this film. But what if that order and sense of security is disrupted?

Mamoru Oshii and Kazunori Ito dove into that idea and more here rather exceptionally. The visual and audio direction were also superb. There was always this over-looming, palpable feeling of paranoia that continued to build till the end. And Oshii played with that with his use of perspective, lighting, and audio cues to create some great tension-filled scenes like the car ride with Arakawa.

This ended up being a much more satisfying, versatile work that felt at once more focused and larger in scale than its predecessor. I'd love to have had more of a background understanding of
Tsuge from the show/OVA
, but I didn't think it hurt the experience when all is said and done.

Incredible stuff. I was really blown away.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nope. All these are matched up later. That's why some are not that good a match. :p

In all the locations near Kyoto/Osaka I just took a lot of pictures without comparing. When I got to Tokyo I did try to match screenshots.
They're pretty good if you did those from memory!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It makes me wonder what will happen to the school when the fandom dies down. I assume the cost of running it will be too high at that point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's no longer used as a school. It's a tourist spot now.

I wonder how the headmaster explained to all the parents that their children will not be able to attend the school any more because it is being turned into a museum about cute girls doing cute things.

It makes me wonder what will happen to the school when the fandom dies down. I assume the cost of running it will be too high at that point.

The first floor is actually used for other stuff:
http://www.town.toyosato.shiga.jp/contents_detail.php?co=kak&frmId=277

1階には教育委員会事務局・図書館・展示室・子育て支援センター・シルバー人材センター・老人会・ネット湖東事務局が配置されています。

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder how the headmaster explained to all the parents that their children will not be able to attend the school any more because it is being turned into a museum about cute girls doing cute things.
Naw, they opened another school. IIRC This school was set for demolition before K-On aired.

The first floor is actually used for other stuff:
http://www.town.toyosato.shiga.jp/co...=kak&frmId=277

1階には教育委員会事務局・図書館・展示室・子育て支援センター・シルバー人材センター・老人会・ネット湖東事務局が配置されています。
I'm not wizard enough to read that. :(

cajunator

Banned

I dont think he comes close to that. He does have questionable morality but in a way he truly feels he is right.

Hard to explain it,
just feel unsatisfied with it.
The "rules" didn't make sense to me either

Thats ok. The movie made up for it if you didnt like how it went!

I never watched OreImo properly but someone once told me that I used to live near the monorail that was featured in the show. Just for that, I can't totally hate on the show.

Thats neat actually.

Welp, time to spend more money.

Yeah no kidding BEAR. Stupid sexy Sentai Filmworks ;_;

rAcYyty.jpg

Kakakawaiiiii

Never really watched Gundam. lol

H-hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg

Holy shit.
Ending redeemed, that has to be one of the best anime movies I have seen.
Need Blu-ray asap.

This, you could love 0080 without even liking Gundam.
Wing was the only Gundam I ever liked, watched 0080 and it got me to binge watch every Gundam series that summer.

Haha. I knew you'd like that movie.

Finally finished my blog posts about the visit to the K-On school:
http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2014/04/k-on-school-part-1.html

http://mikehattsu.blogspot.com/2014/04/k-on-school-part-2.html

Part 2 is the one with comparison shots if you're interested in those.

It wasnt at all surprising that this was based off a real school but Im amazed at how faithful K-On backgrounds are to the place.

cajunator

Banned
Thats an understatement, absolutely loved it.
Anime ending is perfectly fine when followed up with that, movie might elevate the overall series for me a little.

Its always fascinating to see some people absolutely hate it and to see some who feel like it elevated the whole work. Opinions man..

duckroll

Soul Eater Not - Episdoe 3

This continues to be unoffensively mediocre, but it's *just* entertaining enough for me not to drop it. Certainly seems like the yuri-lite show this season, with some good action animation here and there. Everything else feels really plain though. Still, I lol'd when they called Soul Eater out for having a dumb name. :(

Its always fascinating to see some people absolutely hate it and to see some who feel like it elevated the whole work. Opinions man..
For me it was just really good until
it was revealed who was actually behind it (which really kicked it up, thought it would be a satisfying conclusion right after that)
and then demon mode was where it launched into orbit.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Count me in as pro Madoka Rebellion.
The animation is great, and the fight choreography is awesome, it's like za warudo meet equilibrium.
I like ending make sense, in which the universe balance itself

So glad Yuki Kaji joins Haikyu!! as Kenma! (kuroken!!!)

Kuroo Tetsurou: Nakamura Yuuichi (中村悠一)
Kozume Kenma: Kaji Yuuki (梶裕貴)
Yaku Morisuke: Tachibana Shinnosuke (立花慎之介)

Nekoma is coming!
tumblr_n3p8tqNuGo1r1geyyo1_500.png

sonicmj1

Kino's Journey 2

In which cute bunnies are shot in the head for the sake of survival.

ibeOiad7mPjvqR.jpg

One of cajunator's favorite shows!

There are a lot of parallels one could draw between this show and Mushishi, both shows where the leads travel to different lands and encounter various melancholy problems, both shows that move slowly and trend towards melancholy over happy and satisfying. Kino's main difference is how the lead really takes center stage in each tale. Hermes is a valuable companion, because his inquisitiveness about how Kino feels (which comes across as genuine, not as an artificial device for our sake) gives us a natural path into her thought process.

iPyyWIjtpPkrT.jpg
iLQzxXaXPQPRX.jpg

The intense bloom lighting once the snow has started thawing is a very interesting choice the creators made. I wonder if the movement from dark to light is representative of ignorance and knowledge, or something like that.

So what happens in this episode is important, but what matters the most is how Kino approaches it, and what she takes from it. And I like that the episode doesn't need to spell out every part of that for us. The end is really effective as a result.

I wonder how the other people who saw the episode feel about the choices Kino made.
Even given the ultimate outcome of who those men actually were or the fact that they turned on her, I still like the logic she explained to Hermes earlier. It's nice to think that if we treat others the way we would want them to treat us if the tables were turned, they'll reciprocate down the line. I think that sort of trust is the basis of a healthy society. But maybe that kind of thinking is riskier when you're traveling and you don't understand what the expectations are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom