• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
K still gets great arts. Wish it becomes a poster.
Bl5hWQQCAAAxwZO.jpg:large

Soul Eater Not 3
The cast is still fairly cute. Kim never really seemed that bad.And now the big bad from the opening is getting teased

Detective Conan 307:
It's time for important Black Organization setup to happen, with the introduction of Itakura and everything he was involved with. It's nice for Conan that this just happened to fall into his lap, but then that was the main reason he spent so much time building up Kogorou's reputation as a detective. The murder case going on is also pretty weird. This is really a pretty great run of episodes the anime is on right now. I'm glad that I'm starting to get closer to the climax of the arc.

Midonin

No Game No Life 03

This is a rather... different take on chess compared to the Seki Chess vs Shogi matchup earlier in the week. But that was a pretty enjoyable episode, because Sora struck the right balance between being cool while at the same time being cool because he was doing the most embarrassing things possible, embracing his gaming otaku side and using it to his advantage. Confessing to a chess piece isn't something you'll see in any game, and the central strategy of "fight for Shiro's cuteness!" is one I can rally behind. God save Queen Shiro!

Link Man

Banned
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 11

I think I'm starting to understand Yukino a bit better. She wants to shoulder the burden so that others can have an easier time of things, a sentiment that I can relate to. However, when you do that, you need to be careful that others won't take advantage of that kindness.

Another interesting solution by Hachiman, and it's nice to see Yukino open up a little (and actually laugh for once).

No Game No Life 03

This is a rather... different take on chess compared to the Seki Chess vs Shogi matchup earlier in the week. But that was a pretty enjoyable episode, because Sora struck the right balance between being cool while at the same time being cool because he was doing the most embarrassing things possible, embracing his gaming otaku side and using it to his advantage. Confessing to a chess piece isn't something you'll see in any game, and the central strategy of "fight for Shiro's cuteness!" is one I can rally behind. God save Queen Shiro!
BUT WAS THERE MOFUKICHI?!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
DTL and Cajun are the reason we have anime.

But, like war veterans, their contributions and sacrifices are so easily forgotten and they are shunned by the society they laid their lives down to protect.

Defuser

But, like war veterans, their contributions and sacrifices are so easily forgotten and they are shunned by the society they laid their lives down to protect.

Either you die as a hero and live long enough to see yourself as a villain.

Oreimo S1

Review:While it isn't the absolute trash a lot of people make it out to be and actually does a half-decent job on expressing the hardships of otaku subculture, the latter parts of Oreimo show the unmistakable onset of the author's mental breakdown after all those death letters and fans threatening him; he is forced to pander to their desires.Poor soul.

Let's see how far down the rabbit hole Season 2 goes.

Acosta

Hunter X Hunter 126

That was frigging amazing, I had doubts about they could animate that fight given how weird is Netero's power but that was amazing. And the end of the episode, holy shit. I salute you HxH, once again.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 2

In which cute bunnies are shot in the head for the sake of survival.

There are a lot of parallels one could draw between this show and Mushishi, both shows where the leads travel to different lands and encounter various melancholy problems, both shows that move slowly and trend towards melancholy over happy and satisfying. Kino's main difference is how the lead really takes center stage in each tale. Hermes is a valuable companion, because his inquisitiveness about how Kino feels (which comes across as genuine, not as an artificial device for our sake) gives us a natural path into her thought process.

So what happens in this episode is important, but what matters the most is how Kino approaches it, and what she takes from it. And I like that the episode doesn't need to spell out every part of that for us. The end is really effective as a result.

I wonder how the other people who saw the episode feel about the choices Kino made.
Even given the ultimate outcome of who those men actually were or the fact that they turned on her, I still like the logic she explained to Hermes earlier. It's nice to think that if we treat others the way we would want them to treat us if the tables were turned, they'll reciprocate down the line. I think that sort of trust is the basis of a healthy society. But maybe that kind of thinking is riskier when you're traveling and you don't understand what the expectations are.

I look forward to more episode impressions soon. Youre watching one of the greatest.
I recommend this series to absolutely everyone.
I honestly think it has elements that can appeal to anyone, on a personal level and not just as an anime fan.

I keep buying Hidamari Sketch. Im doing gods work.

Midonin

Chaika 03

Chaika's got some skills in more than just guns. She also knows how to drive the set of wheels they just picked up. Seeing her enjoying herself in town was adorable, and the discussion in the middle was kind of interesting. There are fake Chaikas running around? What's going on in this world? The real Chaika's living a tough enough life as it is, so I don't know why anyone would want to claim to be her. Unless it's just a case of mistaken identity.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
M3 1
It's okay, i guess? There's mecha, and there's mistery bit that remind me of Shiki or HIgurashi. Though, it all feel a bit flat...

Midonin

Dai Shogun 03

Lewd isn't a monolithic concept. Mangaka's lewdness is more situation-based, and the tamest this season. As for the two robot shows, I think I've figured it out. Daimidaler is about harnessing the power of female beauty against the male libido. The "front tails" and the way that Koichi gets motivated from Kyoko's breasts are signs enough that this is the direction it's going. Dai Shogun, in contrast, is about male sexuality against a... I don't want to say harlot, so I'll just use the title of the episode, sex witch. The phallic terms that Houkouin keeps talking about Susanoo in mean that the power is more directly about Keiichiro's wang than it is the girls.

I'm saying this because this distinction dawned on me after this episode. I like it when a robot transforms into multiple modes, and while the animation is still cheap and the show still lewd, finally realizing this distinction is what makes me appreciate both of them, and appreciate mostly Daimidaler even more. But I have Dai Shogun as a foil for it, and that gives it some worth. Plus, again, fox girl Yukarin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom