• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, no fighting. Let's all get along. Here, let me bring up a topic that everyone will agree on.

Hyouka is the best anime of the last couple years.

Ya see children back then there was this thing called the NeoGAF and there was a community of anime fans. One day one of the forum members made a statement declaring a specific anime the best in years. This anime brought the worst out of people in both sides. Insults were thrown left and right. Favorite anime shows were called shit. And by the end of the night half the community was permabanned. What a horrifying yet alluring site that was

Sir this isn't your home. We've been telling you for the past hour. The cops are on their way.

YOU LISTEN TO POP POP DAMMIT

Sora no Otoshimono/Heaven's Lost Property The Movie - The Angeloid of Clockwork

Just imported all 20 volumes of the manga, seeing as the series recently ended. The anime adaptations have many things similar to the manga, but some events are switched around (
When and how Nymph was introduced
).

I am glad that a final movie is being released, and hopefully licensed for the U.S. within this year or the next. There would have been plenty of content left for a third and final anime TV-series (
Oregano, Tomoki's parents, Sugata's family, more Hiyori,
and then finishing with
some anime-original end due to Chaos being reformed at the end of Forte
). It will be interesting to see how the final anime film will pan out.

Best thing Kyoani has ever put out.

Sure....
giphy.gif

Gazoinks

Dennou Coil 7

Bonding! Exposition! Eeriness! Was it a lie, Isako? WAS IT? This episode was darker than the show had been previously, and the ending was pretty ominous. Some little tidbits dropped here and there, and some really nice development 'tween Yasako and Isako. Called it!
Isako's after a kirabug I guess.

Puchimas!! 21

A foot bath seems quite relaxing.

Mangakan-san to Assistant-san to 03

I never knew how much a series needed a Kugiloli until now.

No Game No Life 03

HOT BLOODED CHESS has never been so amazing.

Jewelpet Tinkle 48-50

Not the sealed powers of darkness.

Eusis

And it never will be.
Is there any reason it hasn't been licensed or anything? Seems sort of odd to not even have shown up for streaming stuff in this era where next to everything gets grabbed, but then I guess there's always going to be one or two exceptions that frustrate a lot of people.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hunter X Hunter 2011 Episode 125
OMFG the animation, the budget, the epic netero monologuing, the music dear lord the music fdjkbfjkfjkdbfkdsjksdjk

Articalys

Is there any reason it hasn't been licensed or anything? Seems sort of odd to not even have shown up for streaming stuff in this era where next to everything gets grabbed, but then I guess there's always going to be one or two exceptions that frustrate a lot of people.
I actually posed this question to ultimatemegax a while ago, and this was his response:
Could be licensed already, but no green light for physical release due to a BD hold from Kadokawa. I think people will buy based on the studio name alone (lemmings that the R1 fandom seem to be), so it's not lack of interest.
As for why it wasn't simulcast anywhere though, you got me. It seems to have gotten an English-subtitled run on Animax Asia last winter but I can't find many details about it.

Eusis

I actually posed this question to ultimatemegax a while ago, and this was his response:
Well, I guess it's less Macross with a legal clusterfuck ruining everything and more 99% of the releases in the 90s and early 00s that took a few years to leave Japan. Probably waiting until they feel they milked the Japanese base enough I guess.
As for why it wasn't simulcast anywhere though, you got me. It seems to have gotten an English-subtitled run on Animax Asia last winter but I can't find many details about it.
Yeah, that's what baffles me most. As that question noted it's a studio whose works are counted on to do well, so it seemed like someone should've gotten it simulcast. Maybe the forerunner in getting the license DOESN'T want that done?

Eusis

Wouldn't the reason for Hyouka be that Kadokawa just wants alot of money for it?
I imagine that's why the release of BDs matter, if they can get more off of physical sales than just streaming. So even if you have streaming you'd have BDs at the same time to encourage people to go buy those rather than stream it while they wait and go "eh don't care anymore."

Just imported all 20 volumes of the manga, seeing as the series recently ended. The anime adaptations have many things similar to the manga, but some events are switched around (
When and how Nymph was introduced
).

I am glad that a final movie is being released, and hopefully licensed for the U.S. within this year or the next. There would have been plenty of content left for a third and final anime TV-series (
Oregano, Tomoki's parents, Sugata's family, more Hiyori,
and then finishing with
some anime-original end due to Chaos being reformed at the end of Forte
). It will be interesting to see how the final anime film will pan out.

I clicked the spoilers, they all sound great. That's a shame they're forgoing a 3rd season to instead just release a final movie.

Link Man

Banned
Hanamaru Kindergarten END

Damn it, Gainax.

Cute show, BUT IT HAS NO RESOLUTION. It even teases one, then leaves the viewer with the biggest case of blue balls. But no, let's waste half of the last episode with a grown-up Anzu fantasy, complete with barely contained boobs.

Oh yes, and in the penultimate episode, TSUCHI HAD SUDDEN STIRRINGS FOR ANZU, WHO, IF YOU'VE NOT WATCHED THIS SHOW, IS A FIVE YEAR OLD AND HIS KINDERGARTEN STUDENT.

Damn it, Gainax.

Dresden

Good thing I have a JoJo shindan ready in case the thread burns to the ground with more Hyouka discussion.

...Hyouka is the peak of kyoani's output though. It's the best thing they've ever done and will likely ever do.

Gazoinks

Hanamaru Kindergarten END

Damn it, Gainax.

Cute show, BUT IT HAS NO RESOLUTION. It even teases one, then leaves the viewer with the biggest case of blue balls. But no, let's waste half of the last episode with a grown-up Anzu fantasy, complete with barely contained boobs.

Damn it, Gainax.

Gainax, man. Panty & Stocking's ending still hurts my soul.

Eusis

At a minimum that .gif highlighted animation better than you'd typically see out of a TV production. And it sounds more interesting than a typical show that goes the moe branding.

jman2050

Good thing I have a JoJo shindan ready in case the thread burns to the ground with more Hyouka discussion.

...Hyouka is the peak of kyoani's output though. It's the best thing they've ever done and will likely ever do.

Nah, Disappearance. Also Fumoffu but that's more subjective I guess.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No. Hyouka > Disappearance.

And Fumoffu, which is puerile comedy.

Hyouka is art.

Quasar

What ? No

Happy lesson is generic , has no pay-off and doesn't even have clever jokes or settings
It should be mentionned next to : "Bland & Generic harem "

It's a shame on my soul that i was someone who at a time didn't know better and watched All 3 seasons+oavs.... I WISH I COULD FORGET
Because i've watched happy lesson i can forgive many anime airing ...i always ask mayself .." is this better than happy lesson ? " the answer is always "yes"

I kind of enjoyed it myself. Probably would have liked more from the conclusion though.

cajunator

Banned
I stand by that opinion.

Wow. Hi there, I am the guy you're trying to insult.

I am not going to go into the explaination for the umpteenth time about why my name is spelt the way it is. Maybe someday you might get that answer. Or maybe someone will link you to one of my posts I made about the name. Either way I am not going to go into it here.

Regardless, it's a pretty lame retort to insult me to validate your opinion or position. You like Excel Saga. That's awesome. I found the show insufferable. The art was cheap and I don't find characters obnoxiously screaming and running around like a chicken with its head cut off very funny. Comedy is a hit or miss for every individual. Some comedies and comedians I find funny may not be the same thing you find funny. We all have different senses of humor. I just firmly believe that Excel Saga was the most mindless and obnoxious anime comedy I have ever seen. That's not a good thing in my book.

There was a movie. :O

Added to backlog.

man Excel Saga...another show I have fond memories of. Had no idea all those old shows were so despised. The club seemed to love stuff like that.

Dark theme everywhere, 50 ppp, avatars off everywhere, images/gifs off on mobile as well, arrow toggle on mobile set as "jump to first unread post".

here I use light theme mobile with 50 ppp, no avys or images or gifs and arrows toggled to go back to quoted post.

Guys, no fighting. Let's all get along. Here, let me bring up a topic that everyone will agree on.

Hyouka is the best anime of the last couple years.

That doesnt say Jinrui or Tsuritama

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu 6

That Bonta-kun outfit could very well be the greatest invention ever. Sousuke should wear it all the time. And shit, that policewoman was fucking nuts. I'd rather deal either the pony dude than her.

Chidori had some great facial expressions in this episode. Particularly when Sousuke confirmed that there was an old lady looking out the fourth floor window of the hospital yet still seemed completely unphased. Also at what she heard over the phone, while again Sousuke was being Sousuke. Who goes exploring through abandoned hospitals anyway?

sonicmj1

Just to address this point - as far as I understand, you haven't seen the TV series, correct? I think if you were more familiar with the characters of Goto and Nagumo you'd understand how important it is to the film that Nagumo and Tsuge have a relationship. It really adds a lot of 'drama' to the proceedings except that it's extremely downlpalyed because, well, Oshii! I'd argue that, even without such knowledge, it's pretty important to the proceedings but that's one aspect of the movie that really benefits from additional familiarity with the rest of the franchise.

I can definitely see how giving Nagumo that sort of history creates tension with her and Gotoh, though since I haven't seen the TV series, I may be missing the full extent of its importance. But I think it bothered me the most at the end, in particular.
Even if they had a passionate affair at one time, and even if she still cared about him for whatever reason, the storyboarding really plays up their affection for one another with the hand-holding and handcuffing. I wish they'd played that part with a little more subtlety, because it made her seem like less of a professional.

I was struck a bit more when I looked through part of the Archives booklet and saw an excerpt from an interview with Nagumo's voice actress about how her character was different in Patlabor 2.

Yoshiko Sakakibara said:
I think that the character of Shinobu has been depicted as a strong, independent woman thus far. When I played her this time around, however, I kept in mind the idea that she was by no means strong or independent when it came to romantic ties.
As you can see, she reverts completely and utterly to a little girl in the moment she make the arrest.

I don't want to say that it's inherently sexist to depict vulnerabilities in a strong, female character (certainly the events of the movie had taken an emotional toll on her to that point), but I don't feel like that was quite the time or place for it, and even though it didn't go that way, it reminded me more of things Corvo said about how women behave in Tomino shows than I would have liked.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, especially given that I might be missing some important context from earlier stories in the Patlabor franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom