• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

eureka seven ao - 04

In
Bones
I
Trust

I love this show so much, warts and all. Americans are evil.
It's going to hurt when the show turns to shit.

Makoto

Sankarea 5

jacknicholsonheadnod.gif

To. The. Max.

This episode made Bodacious Space Pirates 17 look like amateur hour.

Jex

Next step?

Well, rather than have audience-insert characters be all pretty and attractive (and in Araragai's case, oddly ripped) they seem to be literally inserting the audience into the show without even bothering to make them thin! You might as well not make them attractive either!

Well, rather than have audience-insert characters be all pretty and attractive (and in Araragai's case, oddly ripped) they seem to be literally inserting the audience into the show without even bothering to make them thin! You might as well not make them attractive either!

I would hardly call Accel World's protagonist "attractive", but that's just me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Medaka Box 05?
j1Y20.jpg

I am going to miss the art arc just because it ends with serious Shiranu trolling. Every other character is kind of a non-entity, but she was still pretty awesome even in this episode. Voice actress for her is pretty amazing too, who I looked up to find was also Kyubey among other things.

Jarmel

Banned
I stole my girlfriend's first kiss back when I was fifteen. How many years does that warrant?
While I agree that such a theme should be as dramatic and jarring as possible, my problem is that there's no status quo for which to compare Ao's sudden change of environment from his compatriots. He is just thrown into the fire with no meaningful exploration of his character and life before all this shit happens. It's a parallel to the beginning of the original show in a way, but the focus of the show (this mystery you speak of) does not jive with it as well as the story of a boy falling in love with a Rei-clone-til-otherwise-stated girl.

That and the fact that we keep getting sidetracked into Infodump Country.

Well I think the next arc should be interesting to see what format they use in regards to the structure of the show. The past four episodes have been structured as an overly long prologue and I think you'll see them trying to establish something 'normal' on the show in the next couple of episode. The pacing has been leaning towards the side of fast and furious in regards to getting Ao off that island so now that is accomplished, the show should be slowing down a bit. Also I'm all for infodumps after Xam'd assuming they can limit themselves. The infodumps should be decreasing in episode 6 I would say as I would bet money the next one is going to be full of them.

Dresden

While I agree that such a theme should be as dramatic and jarring as possible, my problem is that there's no status quo for which to compare Ao's sudden change of environment from his compatriots. He is just thrown into the fire with no meaningful exploration of his character and life before all this shit happens. It's a parallel to the beginning of the original show in a way, but the focus of the show (this mystery you speak of) does not jive with it as well as the story of a boy falling in love with a Rei-clone-til-otherwise-stated girl.

That and the fact that we keep getting sidetracked into Infodump Country.

I think the show is too eager to flaunt its geopolitical confusion to the detriment of the viewer, but in the end, what matters--Ao's ostracization--comes across quite clear. And because that part is clear, his willingness to move on doesn't come out of the blue.

They've kept the jargon count low, and the terms themselves rather simple and functional. Infodump hasn't been too big of a concern so far. It's never dragged out from what I remember.

Polar Bear Cafe 2 - I'm not sure if this was quite as good as the first episode, but still, it was of course ridiculously cute, and the idea of all of them thinking of their own cafes was entertaining. Oh Panda, bamboo is the only food worth mentioning, huh? Of course a panda would think so. :)

Bodacious Space Pirates 17 - Gah! I want episode 18, now... that cliffhanger ending is cruel. I want to know what happens next!

Apart from that, though, yeah, this was a great episode as always. So Jenny and Lynn are in a real relationship, huh... it's kind of too bad Marika never gets one, apparently, but eh, at least someone does. :) This villain guy doesn't look like he's going to give up very easily, though... they're sure got a tough challenge on their hands, if they want to beat him and escape to Space U.

Why would her uncle have so much power that he could force her to get married against her will, though, in order to remove her from the line for the company? I guess he runs the company, but still... I assume either her parents agree, or are under his control or something? And at least some people in the family sort of supported her, right? I thought that was suggested. I guess this guy is more powerful than them. :(

Mysterious Girlfriend X 4 - Another episode about on par for the series, overall, this was a solid, but certainly fanservicey, episode. In this episode, the girlfriend gets a female friend... the MC's best friend's girlfriend. Their relationship's getting closer too, to the point where she's even getting fed some by the other girl (and they trade drool, too). That this other girl actually senses stuff from her drool was enough for her to decide to befriend her... but yeah, the series is obviously trying to suggest at yuri NTR, while not actually having enough there for that to really be happening, yet at least (though the two guys might be thinking that by now, I'd guess).

So yeah, good stuff, I guess. I wonder where this will go.

I thought the drunken sailor was still very polite. I mean a real drunken and racist sailor would use different words than "black jazz" - especially in the 60s.

I don't think honey and lemon actually sounds that appealing, though I've never actually tried it.

"honey"

It's drool

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 011
You can tell she's up to no good because she's wearing black.
Down with the old, on with the new (pussy)!
Well, they don't really answer that question, but she seemed to be fairly young. They don't really dwell on that subject in the series.
So not a pedo, just an ephebophile. Still a twat.
I think you mean Reinhard von Müsel.
I told you, I need a fucking anthology.

Soma

I Don't Practice Sankarea 05

hN5Wz.jpg

oh, hi there

Bit of a boring episode this week. Not much going on for the first 15 minutes or so.

Then suddenly
zombie rape?

Also good to see Mero getting more screen time. I like her character.

Sket Dance 56

Huh, well that's an interesting pairing. Kind of implied in the OP, but still not something you'd see coming prior to then.

This ep really shows how much Switch relies on his laptop. I kind of think Bossun and Himeko badgering him to talk is insensitive, especially if they know why he's like that in the first place. It still wasn't really played for laughs for the most part beyond his own fooling around with the notebook, so that's good at least.

wonzo

Banned
Tsuritama 4

It's been pretty enjoyable to watch Yuki's character development unfold over the last few episodes. It seems they made some minor changes to the OP to make it even better!
Hopefully Tamocchan can make up with Natsuki as I'm feelin kinda sorry for the little sister. :(

Branduil

AKB0048 01:

No words. Just massive self-loathing for putting myself through this. It's anime puke; a triple Meriken Burger cooked by Kawamori himself served with a side of hideous aesthetic, garish color palette and self-serious Okada drama slathered in every dumbshit animu trope imaginable left to digest a while in the bile of the Japanese idol industry before getting projectile vomited straight into otakus' mouths like a mother bird feeding its babies.

Of course, I'm watching it all.

Sankarea 05
WpYaK.jpg

That was a relaxing episode or at least a major chunk of it. It was nice to just see stuff happen, ponder life's mysteries, look at that adorable Babu. Oh, that adorable Babu.

Someone already took care of it about a month ago.

Oh cool. I meant more like them interacting and stuff, but this is good too.

She looks awful as hell, don't know what you guys see in her.

Only good loli in Medaka Box is Zen's middle aged mom.

Zenkichi's mom is also pretty great.

I think people like Shiranui because she's a troll character both on the surface and behind on the scenes. She's definitely one of the more entertaining pre-Kumagawa characters (as little as that says about the rest of the cast), but just showing how little she gives a fuck regarding anything that isn't food gives us a much needed break from Medaka's boring perfection. That and the "she knows more than she's letting on" feeling you get from here, at least for me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mine Fujiko: A Man Named Lupin III 05:

Better than the previous episode, but not by much. I'm sure that this Scooby Doo-esque
gauntlet of fanciful traps in a "haunted" locale
is in line with content from the original 70s/80s Lupin series, but it felt a bit too slapstick for a series that tries to present itself as a more mature take on the Lupin concept.

Furthermore, the theme that the episode had established for itself vaporized halfway through. There wasn't a satisfying resolution to
Jigen's contemplation of the weight of his sins
, unless, of course,
his run-in with Lupin caused him to consciously abandon further consideration of his own sinfulness entirely. There was the conversation about living in the present versus gambling on being reincarnated into a better life, however this dialogue between the two abruptly ended when the sarcophagus trap mechanism was sprung and wasn't revisited

Overall a passable episode, but I still feel like the series isn't nearly living up to its full potential. At least the much-hyped
girls school
episode is next.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Sankarea 05
WpYaK.jpg

That was a relaxing episode or at least a major chunk of it. It was nice to just see stuff happen, ponder life's mysteries, look at that adorable Babu. Oh, that adorable Babu.

someone needs to gif. that wanko shirt rip. do it anime-gaf.

Instro

Sankarea 5

Significantly better than the previous episode, visually and otherwise. There's a high amount of quality scenery this week, and I particularly enjoyed the direction during the scenes where Ranko was wandering around the town. The visuals during that bit were top notch, and the music to go along with it was very good. It was a very relaxing sequence overall, yet was interesting to watch even though what was actually happening was a mundane activity. This episode is pretty upbeat, I genuinely enjoyed it unlike much of the antics from last week.

The ending is...amazing. Although I suspect not everyone will feel the same!

Dresden

sengoku collection - 05

That was certainly . . . unique.

Others have talked about the parody stuff, so I'll just post about how fucking awful these designs are. Jesus fucking christ.

eVY0zl.jpg

I think this particular pic makes her look like an upright pony.

Zhnr1l.jpg

Good lawd.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
sengoku collection - 05

That was certainly . . . unique.

Others have talked about the parody stuff, so I'll just post about how fucking awful these designs are. Jesus fucking christ.
Between Sengoku Collection and AKB there sure are a lot of bad character designs this season.

I still can't believe they went for the fat otaku hero, that makes the whole wish-fufillment aspect so transparent. I feel the next step is to make him unpleasant to look at as well.
To be fair, the MC does act the part of an insecure piece of shit. His constant self-loathing and failure help balance out some of the wish-fulfillment. I mean, his winning strategy for the first battle was to hit the other dude and then wait for the timer to run out.

Also, the Magicalish Girlfriend is fucking bonkers. It probably wasn't the author's intent, but it makes her attraction to Cartman much more believable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom