• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are really going to make me watch Angel Beats. I haven't actually watched a Key anime (only read Clannad, Little Busters VNs), so maybe I should just bite the bullet.

I enjoyed it and loved it, if I recall it was like the second non long running anime I watched. Really great characters, Otonashi, Naoi, Hinata. Try it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Accel World 03
IEnhF.jpg
Very, very boring, although it had some cool-looking sequences during the info-dump. Basically eighteen minutes of exposition and three of self-insertion childhood-friend fantasy.
Those three minutes were fun! HOVER HAND

Jex

Yami and the Hat and the Book Traveler 7

after a few lines of exposition to give the Loli and Tiger something vaguely resembling an ending, we get yuri flashbacks! Bed-kun! Hazuki sure gets off on pretty much anything having to do with Hatsumi, that's for sure! Also there was a random star wars scene for 2 seconds, but I wasn't able to figure out what it was supposed to mean.

I think Hatsumi's wig has slowly been slipping down the back of her head because more and more of her forehead keeps getting exposed.

Hazuki is a pure and innocent girl, I dont know what you're talking about.

MGX 2

I think I'd have a slightly less off-putting feeling when watching this if they didn't make the drool look like some thick gunk-like substance. I'm pretty sure saliva doesn't have the same consistency as industrial glue or something.
The idea is that her drool is sweet, like nectar, hence the thick consistency. The flower/insect imagery in the first episode and the honey toast in the beginning of the ep express it clearly.

Jex

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabitito 07:

This ended up being an episode about Hazuki's sexual deviancy. I'm not referring to the yuri, but to the fact that Hazuki apparently gets off to some pretty weird stuff. In the course of a single episode, she
experiences NTR, gets horny watching Hatsumi comb her hair, schlicks to a picture of Hatsumi as a child........twice, and blushes furiously while listening through the wall while Hatsumi takes a shit

Yeah...

Why are you so vanilla?

Jex

This is how it starts.

First people post reviews, then they make in-jokes you don't understand, and in a final desperate attempt to fit in, you decide to watch the shows everyone's freaking out over all the time.

Next thing you know you're reccing School Days and Angel Beats to every newcomer in AnimeGAF.

That sounds like a sick, twisted cycle of abuse.

Full Sankarea ED song is out. I like it a lot; it's pleasantly relaxing. This and the Another ED have made me pay attention to Annabel.

The show certainly wasn't afraid to test its boundaries, with things like
Hotori's little brother's date, aliens, time travel, and the afterlife.
It's really amazing how well it worked, and that just makes its bomba all the more sad. It was too good for the otaku.

Episode 10 was really amazing in that regard, after staying relatively realistic for so long I wasn't expecting it to pull that. It makes me want to read the manga to see what more things the author can pull out of his hat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Waka Waka was an awful song.

I think he was referencing this one, maybe.

The Knight in the Area 16

HAHAHAHA oh god this is so stupid. Heart transplants should be banned from the game.

I'm still liking the show despite all the awfulness, but it is not a football show I would recommend to anyone.
Ok that one was cool.

Yeah, that's the song I'm talking about.

And what the fuck did they do with Kakeru's heart NOW?

Jex

You know, there's something I realized about Watanabe. Somehow he has never had a title distributed by the same US license holder twice, and he has only worked with the same animation studio twice once in his entire directorial career.

Macross Plus - Triangle Staff - Manga USA
Cowboy Bebop TV - Sunrise - Bandai Entertainment
Cowboy Bebop Movie - BONES - Sony Pictures
Animatrix - Studio 4C - Warner Brothers
Samurai Champloo - Manglobe - Geneon USA
Genius Party - Studio 4C - No US release
Kids on the Slope - MAPPA/Tezuka Productions - Sentai

He sure gets around. :p

Talent can afford to travel when everyone knows your name!

Jex

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 12

Certain Shaft budget-saving measures were noticeable, such as a lack of background pedestrians on the streets and unimpressive backgrounds, but the animation was incredibly consistent for the studio. The trademark weird camera angles, quick edits, and slow-motion pans were put to great use in enhancing the visual humor, especially in how it distorted the characters. Despite the "poko"s, this show is perhaps the best example of how successful Shaft style can be when the studio doesn't get too lazy.

I think it's interesting how the average production quality for an episode of Soredemo is far higher than an average episode of Nisemonogatari, even though Nise is the sequel to their most successful show over. They have some strange priorities.

cajunator

Banned
I think it's interesting how the average production quality for an episode of Soredemo is far higher than an average episode of Nisemonogatari, even though Nise is the sequel to their most successful show over. They have some strange priorities.

Because soredemo required quality to stand out. The premise of Nise sold itself.

It is bizarre that they chose Soredemo of all things to focus their resources on, but I'm glad they did choose it over less deserving material.

cajunator

Banned
It is bizarre that they chose Soredemo of all things to focus their resources on, but I'm glad they did choose it over less deserving material.

As said before, more resources were probably required for soredemo to gain attention.
It still ended up failing because otaku apparently dont give a damn about quality.

Jex

Critique is critique. One sentence saying something was good is no different from one sentence saying something is bad. Life isn't a circle jerk.

I think one of the worst features of any fandom, whether it be of a series or a books or a game, is not just the inability to engage in any kind of criticism of a work but to actively complain about those who do chose to bring up any kind of complaint.

I can understand why someone, personally, might not want to engage in that kind of conversation but attempting to stifle any kind of discussion in that vein is wrong. These shows don't need to be protected from criticism. It's good to reflect on what you're consuming from time to time.

cajunator

Banned
I think one of the worst features of any fandom, whether it be of a series or a books or a game, is not just the inability to engage in any kind of criticism of a work but to actively complain about those who do chose to bring up any kind of complaint.

I can understand why someone, personally, might not want to engage in that kind of conversation but attempting to stifle any kind of discussion in that vein is wrong. These shows don't need to be protected from criticism. It's good to reflect on what you're consuming from time to
time.

Its not that people critique a show. Its when they try to attach an absolute judgement to the subjective portions of it, such as a chosen artstyle.
Thats when i have a problem with it. If you want to pan the characters or story go right ahead.

Jex

You guys are really going to make me watch Angel Beats. I haven't actually watched a Key anime (only read Clannad, Little Busters VNs), so maybe I should just bite the bullet.

The important thing that you'll see from this conversation is that no-one thought it was boring. You might like it, or really hate it, either way you'll have a memorable experience and that's what it's all about, right?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

At least watch Kanon 06 or Clannad/AS (which is the best of the Key stuff by far). Intentionally watching the worst of something is only a good idea if you enjoy posting crappy reaction gif memes for your episode write ups without actually writing something.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Its not that people critique a show. Its when they try to attach an absolute judgement to the subjective portions of it, such as a chosen artstyle.
Thats when i have a problem with it. If you want to pan the characters or story go right ahead.
Some shit is simply off-putting or outright annoying.

Also, perspective is not subjective.

cajunator

Banned
The important thing that you'll see from this conversation is that no-one thought it was boring. You might like it, or really hate it, either way you'll have a memorable experience and that's what it's all about, right?

I recommend watching it.
Theres no way to know what camp a person is in until they have experienced it.

At least watch Kanon 06 or Clannad/AS (which is the best of the Key stuff by far). Intentionally watching the worst of something is only a good idea if you enjoy posting crappy reaction gif memes for your episode write ups without actually writing something.
Do we have a problem?
iLhoS8THCYCW7.gif

There are subjective portions?
two twilight sparkles in a row
is a sign of the apocalypse
We already know the Hosodapocalypse is coming.

Sankarea 3
tumblr_m2r8l8tFEx1r621gdo1_500.gif

So many panty shots.... Anyway pretty fun episode, turnout went completely against what I was expecting
though the dad would get bit and become a zombie by Babu, or at least be pushed off the cliff, not Sanka Rea

I hope the mom gets some development at least. Babu sounds kind of charming.

cajunator

Banned
Some shit is simply off-putting or outright annoying.

Also, perspective is not subjective.

This wasnt about perspective shots it was about a specific style for Angel Beats. It looks bad to some and ok to others. Im just saying its not an absolute that it looks bad.

Angel Beats 1-2

The show's visual problems have been discussed here ad naseum, especially the garish looking art and the digital compositing issues. It was hard to watch the scenes from Branduil's favorite image without laughing. I'm already seeing weird tonal shifts and odd placement of humor. Slapstick comedy followed by tragic story followed by more comedy doesn't work well, though Yuri's flashback was unintentional funny. It's still mostly in the comedy phase, so I haven't gone deep into the inevitable Key melodrama yet. Speaking of which, I'm not sure how they are going to cover everyone's tragic past in 11 episodes.

cajunator

Banned
Angel Beats 1-2

The show's visual problems have been discussed here ad naseum, especially the garish looking art and the digital compositing issues. It was hard to watch the scenes from Branduil's favorite image without laughing. I'm already seeing weird tonal shifts and odd placement of humor. Slapstick comedy followed by tragic story followed by more comedy doesn't work well, though Yuri's flashback was unintentional funny. It's still mostly in the comedy phase, so I haven't gone deep into the inevitable Key melodrama yet. Speaking of which, I'm not sure how they are going to cover everyone's tragic past in 11 episodes.

People need to just enjoy it for the stupid show it is, like they do with glass fleet or Yami.

Angel Beats 1-2

It's thirteen episodes long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom