• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medaka Box 03:

zzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz

I really want to drop this, but I feel like I should continue on the off chance that it's more than 12 episodes. Marathoning this excruciatingly dull episodic shit all at once is more painful than a once-a-week dose, so I'm going to do what's ultimately easier and just stick with it week by week. If it ends at twelve episodes, I accept that the gamble failed and move on.

At least we should be getting to the semi-good part in 3 or 4 episodes.

Accel World 03
Br1bf.gif

Exposition oh boy! Lots and lots of exposition. Still can't get over how the MC looks, so this show is definitely going to have an uphill battle in me caring about it.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 12

Wow. That was a shocking place for something like this to go, and it was pulled off quite well. There was a surprising amount of emotional depth (played straight!) and it brought together the town in which Hotori lives to create a satisfying and meaningful conclusion.
Hotori may have been annoying and dumb, but in the end she was an irreplaceable part of her community, touching so many lives in an unforgettable way.

Overall, I was impressed with the amount of variety on display. So many comedies get bogged down in one place or rely on the repetitive quirks of a couple characters, but not so here. The show had no problem shifting between wildly different scenarios: the maid cafe this is ostensibly about appeared much less than I thought it would, and there was an overabundance of charming characters. I had no time to get bored.

Certain Shaft budget-saving measures were noticeable, such as a lack of background pedestrians on the streets and unimpressive backgrounds, but the animation was incredibly consistent for the studio. The trademark weird camera angles, quick edits, and slow-motion pans were put to great use in enhancing the visual humor, especially in how it distorted the characters. Despite the "poko"s, this show is perhaps the best example of how successful Shaft style can be when the studio doesn't get too lazy. It did end up settling down a bit from the manic pace of the first episode, but I didn't mind. There wasn't a single episode I didn't enjoy.

I'd have to say this ranks among the all-time best anime comedies, right alongside something like Fumoffu.

Envelope, congratulations on finishing Cowboy Bebop!

Now go watch Samurai Champloo and/or Outlaw Star.

Samurai Champloo is good, but Outlaw Star was pretty underwhelming.

Well, based just on those pictures, they are obviously going for a flat style. Nothing wrong with that.

It makes it look somewhat boring. Also I'm generally not much of a fan of modern art. Still, it is possible for anime to use stuff inspired by that and look interesting -- Madoka Magica, most notably -- but this is most certainly not that.

I fail to see how this is any kind of problem or flaw whatsoever.
See above.

Angel Beats! Ep. 2

iolF9kdlWBkXT.jpg

Is this show for real?

So you go into a show probably trying to dislike it, and then do? How shocking!

Seriously, why even watch, if that's the attitude you start with?

I am actually trying to give this show a fair shot, but it is not doing itself any favors. So far it has only demonstrated itself as being emotionally manipulative and tonally bipolar.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think nostalgia is a powerful deciding factor in how much people enjoy Bebop and why they love it so much. Seeing it with fresh eyes probably wont have the same impact, especially since a lot of modern anime has taken a lot from the show and expanded on those ideas.
The problem that I have with this analysis is that it implies that modern anime is "superior" because of the regurgitation of ideas established previously by more successful titles. Which is debatable since I don't believe Bebop had any particular influence on the medium beyond very few examples.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

I watch the show because it was super hyped and like by the Chinese anime community. I watch the whole thing thinking it was good, Angel Beats have awesome moments, good set of comedy each episode, it was a fun watch.

I just felt so cheated on the ending, another show that set a good premise and story background, but have no creativity to conclude the story properly. It had "buy more drama CD, manga, and sequel" written all over it at the last episode.

Uchip

Banned
I would be lying if I said that the general consensus for Angel Beats hadnt stopped me from watching any of it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jormungand 02:

sXSYJ.jpg

The jelly filter has invaded anime. Get to cover, your health is low!

I think that the show has been pretty competent so far. It has solid production values, is reasonably interesting, and scratches the military otaku itch without getting too bogged down in terminology. I still think that a lot of the characters have personalities that are fairly incompatible with their line of work, but I can live with it.

Koko is extraordinarily cute for a merchant of death. She also has an oddly serpentine look to her, but considering the title of the show I'm sure that this is intentional. Posters familiar with the manga seem to think that a really great story arc is imminent, so I have high expectations going forward.

cajunator

Banned
I may have to watch some Yami.

Actually, yes.
Its honestly so bad its entertaining. Shit is so random and ridiculous you'll love it.

(Thankfully) I'm not in Edmonton! Not that I would watch a Dragon Age animu anyway. lol

Also, more pointless comparisons: Tsuritama 2 > Apollon 2.

This is a correct ranking.

Is it really moe? I think there should be a distinction between kawaiishit and moeshit. Acchi Kocchi's more of a lighter Nichijou than anything else.

There's absolutely no fanservice in Acchi Kocchi, for starters.

Oh but there is. For one thing, CAT EARS.

Honestly I think I was the only Kanna fan who WASN'T bitter about how it all ended. Mainly because while I like Kanna as a character, she brought about her own misery.

I've always been friendzoned too, I know the feels.

Honestly yeah she did set herself up for failure.

I got my PS3 Flex media server working, but wireless is too slow to watch ANYTHING. :T

Gonna get a line splitter and plug it right into the wired network...

It seems to work better if you let it buffer an episode for five minutes first.

Stop this.

Seriously.
Stop what, talking about Angel Beats? Why should I, when there's still more to respond to?

Beyond that, I didn't mention that there, but part of why I responded like that is because I don't like "reviews" which are a single, often-insulting image... it says so little. Actually say what your problems are if you dislike something.

Like, in that case, it's obvious Femmeworth doesn't like the show, but there's no hint of why in those images. Only now is there finally part of a reason given, after I responded with that.

trejo

MGX 2

I think I'd have a slightly less off-putting feeling when watching this if they didn't make the drool look like some thick gunk-like substance. I'm pretty sure saliva doesn't have the same consistency as industrial glue or something.

Other than the gross misrepresentation of the properties of saliva I'm still enjoying this a fair bit even though Tsubaki's character felt weaker than in the previous episode.

How's that any different from "OMG IT ROCKS!! FUCK YEAH."

I generally prefer detail, sure, either way, as my reviews show... I will admit, though, it is often easier to criticize than to praise. That's too bad, praise is great and good shows should be praised, but it does often seem to be true.

Stop what, talking about Angel Beats? Why should I, when there's still more to respond to?

Beyond that, I didn't mention that there, but part of why I responded like that is because I don't like "reviews" which are a single, often-insulting image... it says so little. Actually say what your problems are if you dislike something.

Like, in that case, it's obvious Femmeworth doesn't like the show, but there's no hint of why in those images. Only now is there finally part of a reason given, after I responded with that.
You could have just asked me to elaborate. Post like that are not meant to be reviews, they're (knee-jerk) reactions. Still, point taken.

I am actually trying to give this show a fair shot, but it is not doing itself any favors. So far it has only demonstrated itself as being emotionally manipulative and tonally bipolar.
So you actually do have reasons that you dislike it? Images like that don't explain anything...
Anyway, though, "emotionally manipulative" is the pejorative way to explain Key's style of drama, I think. I'd call it more emotional than manipulative... the goal is to make a tragic story you'll feel something about, but "manipulation" in specific? While perhaps true, it's no more true than for most other things on film -- the goal is always to manipulate the watcher in some way, after all, in any medium. Key's only differences are that their stories are all centered on tragedy, and that they're pretty good at coming up with sad situations. But everything is trying to manipulate the audience somehow, of course.

I would be lying if I said that the general consensus for Angel Beats hadnt stopped me from watching any of it.
You do know that this consensus against Angel Beats only exists on animeGAF, right?

I watch the show because it was super hyped and like by the Chinese anime community. I watch the whole thing thinking it was good, Angel Beats have awesome moments, good set of comedy each episode, it was a fun watch.

I just felt so cheated on the ending, another show that set a good premise and story background, but have no creativity to conclude the story properly. It had "buy more drama CD, manga, and sequel" written all over it at the last episode.
I thought that the ending was one of the best things about the show, myself...
it's so much better than if it'd had a depressing ending, they really deserved a happy end after all that sadness. :)

You could have just asked me to elaborate. Post like that are not meant to be reviews, they're reactions. Still, point taken.
I don't expect people to all write as much as I do, of course, just say something about their reasoning.

But yeah, sorry, those single-image responses kind of annoy me. (This is the one good thing about there being no smilies on GAF, no single-smilie post response chains...)

Critique is critique. One sentence saying something was good is no different from one sentence saying something is bad. Life isn't a circle jerk.
You're kind of right, but I do think cajun has a point if he means that people are more likely to react more strongly to the criticism than to the praise.

Makoto

Haiyoru! Nyaruani: Remember My Mr. Lovecraft 1-11 (FINAL) + Special?

:/

I don't think this is that Nyarko-san show you guys have been watching.

Haiyoru! Nyaruani (ONA) 1-8 (FINAL)

:/

I don't think this is it either.

Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos 1

This is it!

Oh. Um. Okay. Well. At least that wasn't Medaka Box.

trejo

You do know that this consensus against Angel Beats only exists on animeGAF, right?

You always seem to fall back on this excuse for some reason. Who the fuck cares about that?

"Oh some other people somewhere on the internet like it so clearly anyone who disagrees is either lying or fails to conform to the larger consensus". It's a shit argument and it will always be a shit argument.

Now can we please stop bringing up Angel Beats for the umpteenth goddamned time?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Knight in the Area 16

HAHAHAHA oh god this is so stupid. Heart transplants should be banned from the game.

I'm still liking the show despite all the awfulness, but it is not a football show I would recommend to anyone.
I think he was referencing this one, maybe.
Ok that one was cool.

So you actually do have reasons that you dislike it? Images like that don't explain anything...
Anyway, though, "emotionally manipulative" is the pejorative way to explain Key's style of drama, I think. I'd call it more emotional than manipulative... the goal is to make a tragic story you'll feel something about, but "manipulation" in specific? While perhaps true, it's no more true than for most other things on film -- the goal is always to manipulate the watcher in some way, after all, in any medium. Key's only differences are that their stories are all centered on tragedy, and that they're pretty good at coming up with sad situations. But everything is trying to manipulate the audience somehow, of course.
It's emotionally manipulative because I can fully see that it's trying to push my buttons. That is not a good way to foster a suspension of disbelief.
I don't expect people to all write as much as I do, of course, just say something about their reasoning.

But yeah, sorry, those single-image responses kind of annoy me. (This is the one good thing about there being no smilies on GAF, no single-smilie post response chains...)
That's perfectly acceptable, especially if it is in regards to a series that you like.

You always seem to fall back on this excuse for some reason. Who the fuck cares about that?
That's not a fallback position, just a fact.

"Oh some other people somewhere on the internet like it so clearly anyone who disagrees is either lying or fails to conform to the larger consensus". It's a shit argument and it will always be a shit argument.
Somewhere else on the internet? Not too far, given that AB finished high in GAF's 2010 best anime of the year thread. That's why I specify animeGAF and not GAF in general.

Now can we please stop bringing up Angel Beats for the umpteenth goddamned time?
I wouldn't mind moving on, once this discussion is done, but given how it seems to be a lot of people's favorite whipping boys, I doubt it'll go away for good...

Nobody cares, we're on AnimeGAF. I'm not interested in seeing you compare one very small contingent of nerds to another very small contingent of nerds.
I would be interested to know what else animeGAF has a strongly different position on versus general consensus, apart from Key hate... I think there are some things, but what are they?

(And yes, I know that obviously there isn't a consensus for everything. Of course there couldn't be, people are going to have different opinions on different things.)

It's emotionally manipulative because I can fully see that it's trying to push my buttons. That is not a good way to foster a suspension of disbelief.
But as I said, when is a story not trying to do something like that? I guess your issue is because of how it's all borderline-overdone tragedy for every character? That is kind of true, but they do it so well it works out fine overall.

I really want to know the consensus on Angel Beats from a community that holds Code Geass R2 as one of the all time greatest anime
What community would that be (I of course quite dislike Geass, as much because of my great dislike for evil main characters as for anything -- it's a similar reason to why I dislike Death Note)?

Outlaw Star has not aged well :(
Worth watching for whatever that awesome gun is called, though.

That's pretty bad then, seeing as Outlaw Star wasn't even good to begin with. It's a mediocre anime that only had some degree of popularity because it aired on TV at the right time.

But as I said, when is a story not trying to do something like that? I guess your issue is because of how it's all borderline-overdone tragedy for every character? That is kind of true, but they do it so well it works out fine overall.
Yes. The issue isn't whether or not a work is trying to evoke an emotion from me, it's how. The quick changes in tone don't help.

You guys are really going to make me watch Angel Beats. I haven't actually watched a Key anime (only read Clannad, Little Busters VNs), so maybe I should just bite the bullet.

Branduil

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 12

Wow. That was a shocking place for something like this to go, and it was pulled off quite well. There was a surprising amount of emotional depth (played straight!) and it brought together the town in which Hotori lives to create a satisfying and meaningful conclusion.
Hotori may have been annoying and dumb, but in the end she was an irreplaceable part of her community, touching so many lives in an unforgettable way.

Overall, I was impressed with the amount of variety on display. So many comedies get bogged down in one place or rely on the repetitive quirks of a couple characters, but not so here. The show had no problem shifting between wildly different scenarios: the maid cafe this is ostensibly about appeared much less than I thought it would, and there was an overabundance of charming characters. I had no time to get bored.

Certain Shaft budget-saving measures were noticeable, such as a lack of background pedestrians on the streets and unimpressive backgrounds, but the animation was incredibly consistent for the studio. The trademark weird camera angles, quick edits, and slow-motion pans were put to great use in enhancing the visual humor, especially in how it distorted the characters. Despite the "poko"s, this show is perhaps the best example of how successful Shaft style can be when the studio doesn't get too lazy. It did end up settling down a bit from the manic pace of the first episode, but I didn't mind. There wasn't a single episode I didn't enjoy.

I'd have to say this ranks among the all-time best anime comedies, right alongside something like Fumoffu.

Well, if you'd listened to us you'd have known not to expect a lot of maids in this maid anime!

The show certainly wasn't afraid to test its boundaries, with things like
Hotori's little brother's date, aliens, time travel, and the afterlife.
It's really amazing how well it worked, and that just makes its bomba all the more sad. It was too good for the otaku.

cajunator

Banned
You guys are really going to make me watch Angel Beats. I haven't actually watched a Key anime (only read Clannad, Little Busters VNs), so maybe I should just bite the bullet.

Honestly, you should at least give it a try. Some people do actually enjoy it, so who knows?

Accel World 3

This game sure does have a lot of rules. I still find them pretty interesting though. Another exposition-heavy episode, yet I find myself immersed; what the hell is going on!?

So just like Evangelion, we have the 15 year rule. At least the justification for it isn't so bad.

I really liked the scene at the end. Was pretty heavy. It is nice to know more about Haru's insecurities, though it didn't really seem like he displayed them to this extent before. Not so out of the ordinary I suppose. It also clarifies the meaning of Direct Linking a bit more (as in it's for people with deep relationships that aren't necessarily romantic). Will be interesting to see where this goes next week.

Also, Haru x Taku is best pairing.

Branduil

The idea that you can't judge an anime properly if you're going into it with low expectations is silly. I certainly wasn't expecting much from Sankarea but that didn't make me incapable of recognizing its quality.

jman2050

I went into Haganai expecting generic harem comedy hijinx garbage. What I got was generic harem comedy hijinx garbage that I ended up liking.

Sometimes, you just don't know what you'll end up liking or hating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom