• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Phi Brain S2 6

Excellent episode all around, and another puzzle that I think would be a lot of fun to play IRL. Really glad they're making it a two-parter so we can get more of each battle in detail.

These new duel puzzles, combined with the awesomeness of Orpheus Order, is making this season far, far more fun to watch than the previous one. I can't believe I was going to skip this originally after being underwhelmed by S1; so glad I decided to give it a second chance.

Branduil

Hyouka 4

igov4GmCJEgye.jpg

Eat your heart out, Accel World.

I've felt like each succeeding episode has been better than the previous, and this is no exception. I think it certainly helps that the show is now focused on a particular mystery that has personal stakes for one of the characters.

KyoAni's background artists really outdid themselves in this episode. I wasn't kidding about the Accel World comment, it's a very vivid contrast when you look at how much care and thought they put into their backgrounds. The amount of background art in this episode isn't just an accident, it's all there for the purpose of both building a believable and comprehensible world, and establishing an atmosphere that supports the narrative. There's no "crap, this scene takes place in a bathroom, just scribble something out before the deadline" in Hyouka.

It would have been very easy for KyoAni to just use the initial establishing shot to show the scale of the mansion. But consistently, throughout the episode, they continue to build up the size and scope of the home with cutaways that illustrate the various rooms and landscapes. The end result is that you don't just know that they're in a very large, and spacious mansion, but actually feel it without needing to actively think about it.

iVHqs76NU52Ks.jpg

This shot was also a very effective use of traditional perspective to create depth.

Also, some nice 2D (bicycle) mechanical animation:

ibvSCaDDonw3PY.gif

The wheel shot is actually an example of animation on ones, though most of it loops obviously.

The animation in the third Eureka Seven OP kind of gives me a headache. I guess it's because everything is slowed down a bit. Eureka's and Renton's face look kind of funky in it too.

Hayate no Gotoku: Heaven is a Place on Earth

Meant to watch this when I was marathoning the manga, but I forgot. Probably a good thing that I waited until after I was caught up since this does at least partially expect the audience to have read up to a certain point as it takes place after the status quo is destroyed and
Nagi loses all her money, being forced to live in the house Klaus was given.
There are also characters that only manga readers would know about in it.

Now since this is done by yet another studio, it has a somewhat different look that might seem off compared to the second season which already felt off compared to the first. It does take some getting used to and isn't terrible, but I personally think the shading of the hair isn't as good and makes Nishizawa even more likely to be confused with Izumi (or am I the only one that does that?)

While we're on the subject of studios and seasons, this is closer to the second in that it tries to keep the tone and consistency of the manga rather than the reference-filled screwing around of the first season. There still are references, but they're few and far between.

wRPet.jpg

The IUCN gets pissed when you hunt Totoros.

The plot is kind of... bare. I'd almost say that's some kind of meta-commentary on the setup; which is just Nagi and the rest of the house going to the countryside to literally do nothing. After that, half the movie is spent with the characters doing mundane stuff that isn't really even worth mentioning.

8PRPp.jpg

This is true. I have tested it.

Halfway through, things pick up with an actual event beyond just lying around. But then it kind of falls back into a mundane slice of life setting with little tension despite the fact it should be a frantic situation. It isn't really until the last 10 minutes when stuff starts to happen (including a very cool looking 5 second fight sequence). Even then, the whole thing was kind of vague and I'm not really seeing the purpose of
introducing Hayate's grandma
if they're just going to leave it at that.

So yeah, I guess it was alright. I was expecting more.

Eureka Seven Ep. 27

This episode wasn't quite as good as I remembered it to be. The script was far wordier than usual, for better or worse.
Charles was taken out too quickly and easily, though it was good to see Holland finally do something other than being an asshole.

sonicmj1

Hyouka 4

I feel like this episode lacked some of the urgency that was in parts of 3, but the direction was probably the strongest it has been to date. The new setting was a great excuse for the background artists to go nuts, and it lets us really feel the scale of Chitanda's house. I also like that they seem to always find a new way in each episode to illustrate the theories and conjecture the characters come up with.

This episode is kind of unique in that
it feels like the characters haven't really solved the whole story yet, even if they might be satisfied with what they've uncovered so far.

Even though it would still be fair to call this show "boring", I feel like it's growing on me.

Thoraxes

CCS: 07 - 08

Sakura's onii-chan is the best onii-chan. He's so cool, has cool friends, and protects his precious imouto.

Truly the onii-chan we all deserve. Also I don't know if this is a thing of the 90's or there's more to it, but
why do I feel like either something bad is going to happen to or come from Yukito? He's too conveniently everywhere, but I can't figure out if that's by convention or by story.

Also, I slowly come closer to death with each episode.

Will I make it alive to see next Christmas? Who knows. If she keeps wearing more catgirl and bunnygirl costumes, I may die.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What the fucking fuck is up with your fucking avatar?

Articalys

Weekly Rankings for May 7-13

Blu-ray
*1, 6,352 *6,352 Mouretsu Pirates vol.3 Limited Edition
*2, 2,503 *2,503 Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! vol.3
*3, *,768 53,939 Nisemonogatari vol.1 Limited Edition
*4, *,541 20,948 Persona 4 The Animation vol.6 Limited Edition
*5, *,367 *2,307 Kannagi Blu-ray Box
*6, *,322 *3,319 Amagami SS+ plus vol.2
*7, *,298 20,580 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon vol.5 Limited Edition
*8, *,296 *7,206 Mouretsu Pirates vol.2 Limited Edition
*9, *,263 *6,681 The iDOLM@STER vol.7 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 2,694 *,**2,694 One Piece 14th Season vol.8
*2, 1,009 *,*16,782 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 5 - Blood Prison movie Limited Edition
*3, *,959 1,136,165 My Neighbor Totoro
*4, *,824 *,***,824 Kuttsukiboshi vol.2
*5, *,476 *,651,107 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
*6, *,413 *,**3,856 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 5 - Blood Prison Standard Edition
*7, *,355 *,*10,649 Gintama' vol.10
*8, *,353 *,480,780 Kiki's Delivery Service
*9, *,351 *,***,351 Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! vol.2
10, *,341 *,750,825 Castle in the Sky
11, *,326 *,**6,579 Detective Conan Bonus File Fantasita no Hana
12, *,291 *,**7,160 New Prince of Tennis vol.1
13, *,281 *,**8,591 Nisemonogatari vol.1 Limited Edition
14, *,265 2,371,163 Spirited Away
15, *,265 *,***,265 Mouretsu Pirates vol.5
16, *,262 *,**7,247 Persona 4 The Animation vol.6 Limited Edition
17, *,260 *,339,916 Princess Mononoke

Single CD
*7, 16,990 *16,990 Accel World "Chase the world"
12, *5,740 *27,201 Sakamichi no Apollon "Sakamichi no Melody"
14, *5,115 *51,960 Detective Conan Movie 16: The Eleventh Striker "Haruuta"
23, *3,050 *12,968 Fate/Zero 2nd Season "Sora wa Takaku Kaze wa Utau"
26, *2,740 *39,806 Fate/Zero 2nd Season "to the beginning"
27, *2,482 **2,482 Kuroko no Basket "Start it right away"
29, *2,403 168,781 Doraemon: Nobita and the Miracle Island - Animal Adventure "Ikiteru Ikiteku"
37, *1,825 **5,539 Hyouka "Yasashisa no Riyuu"
42, *1,620 **1,620 New Prince of Tennis "Still"
46, *1,328 *25,194 Natsuiro Kiseki "Non stop road" "Asu e no Kaerimichi"
50, *1,201 *65,051 Mouretsu Pirates "Mugen no Ai"

Winter temporal records barely twitched from last week, not worth repeating. Nise still leads with 62,530.

duckroll

Man. Persona 4 is still an insane seller. I remember when 7th said it was going to crash and burn like the Valkyria anime. About 30k per volume on average. 10 volumes long. Who's laughing now??
Aniplex is laughing... all the way to the bank. :(

Branduil

Man. Persona 4 is still an insane seller. I remember when 7th said it was going to crash and burn like the Valkyria anime. About 30k per volume on average. 10 volumes long. Who's laughing now??

They made a smart decision. Why put any effort or money into making the show actually good when the fans will buy anything you crap out because it has the name "Persona 4" on it?

Defuser

Atlus fans are scary. Anyway P4 anime adaptation is more consistent than Valkyria anime,given a choice many would pick P4too.

Solune

http://i.imgur.com/GgoR0.jpg

Saw this posted on a certain website and . . . she doesn't look that psychopathic to me! I'm disappointed.
Well not every girl can be Yuno, even with that meme.
Saki 6

http://i.imgur.com/6XlENl.jpg

Loli-crying-smiling-flashback-scarf moe for Solune.
I'm not sure what to say here... I want to thank you but it seems like you're trying to incriminate me with part of that phrase.
Haqua post-costume change > Haqua pre-costume change
Both attires are suitable, they fill different quotas.
It's the right thing to do.

I think our Social Link reached a new level.

Theonik

AKB0048 03
Aitakatta, Aitakatta, Aitakatta YES!
More CG,
more Kalashnikov, more fake death drama, more mecha
and most importantly more idols! This show is crazy!

wonzo

Banned
Weekly Rankings for May 7-13

Blu-ray
*1, 6,352 *6,352 Mouretsu Pirates vol.3 Limited Edition
*8, *,296 *7,206 Mouretsu Pirates vol.2 Limited Edition

DVD
15, *,265 *,***,265 Mouretsu Pirates vol.5

Single CD
50, *1,201 *65,051 Mouretsu Pirates "Mugen no Ai"

Winter temporal records barely twitched from last week, not worth repeating. Nise still leads with 62,530.
gimmie dat second season!

The director's cut edition of AKB0048 episode 1 is 27 minutes long. Mmmm...
i can only begin to imagine what kawamori has instore for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom