• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

The Tatami Galaxy 1-11

owMXu.jpg

That was sure something.

During my first attempt to go through this series a while ago, I was really caught off guard by the nature of the show. The art style, the protagonist's mile a minute monologues, and the structure was something I wasn't expecting. And for some reason I just never finished it around that time.

Fast forward a few years, and I'm really happy I completed this show. It's still definitely a very unique anime to me and I've come to really appreciate its take on the 'groundhog day' concept. I really loved how little details that popped up every now and then appeared in later episodes that ended up having a profound impact on the plot when looking back on it all. The middle section of episodes felt a bit dull but I really enjoyed the last several episodes and loved how everything came together. The interwoven yet episodic structure was really interesting to me and I liked the execution of it, for the most part.

The college setting was definitely a welcome change as apposed to the usual "high school" setting. You could definitely see Yuasa's experiences with University life help paint a picture of campus life. I wish more anime would adopt a college setting, if nothing else just for a change of pace at least. The themes presented here were very interesting and oddly enough hit kinda close to home from my past experience with college life. The depressive state of mind of the MC more or less aided to that, but that's another story.

But yeah, great show. There was a lot to take in at first but I enjoyed it by the end. It was a strange unique (if not slightly exhaustive) little journey but an enjoyable one nonetheless.

Now time to start Dennou Coil... tomorrow!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Jex

Wasurenagumo spoilers.

The way it seemed to me is that
to most people the twist at the end was more enjoyable because the director had done a good job of making them let their guard down at that point so it was all the more surprising when it happened but, in my case, I couldn't do that since while I didn't know any specifics I was on my guard waiting for something to happen all the while so when it finally did I simply said "oh I guess that's what it was" and all sense of surprise intended was lost.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not really blaming it on any one but myself in this case.
That completely encapsulates the kinds of problem caused by spoilers. They literally worked against the mood the text was trying to create. Which is why I don't really buy the 'science' argument.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Ginga e Kickoff!] 06

Somebody needs to gif that play from first pass to goal. It's precisely what I love about this cartoon despite the very slow pace.

Poor Reika. You can do it girl. :(

Yeah, well, I don't necessarily buy that, at all.
It's not a particularly-universal position to take, no. But I'm usually okay and, if the way the plot's executed does something contrary to the general vibe and consistency of a premise commonly-told, then I'll be more interested to see how it turned out that way. Starting a story out in media res can work pretty well if it's interesting enough to begin with.

Jex

That's been my main complaint with Poyopoyo from the beginning. There are quite a number of episodes which bounce back and forth between different gags without much connection, which feels rather awkward. Of course, there are other episodes which are well organized and have a clear theme.

Right, there seems to be even less connection between the gags than in your standard 4-koma. It's weird.

My Neighbors the Yamadas
Sounds fun. I just watched Chie the Brat! for the first time quite recently, which I found to be real-good slice-of-life. If you'll do the Yamadas, I'll do my take on Chie, and then we can do the same for Night on the Galactic Railroad. Sounds real-fun.

Chie is the anti-moe, and the most adorable anime girl I've ever seen. She and Antonio Jr. made that film.

Sounds fun. I just watched Chie the Brat! for the first time quite recently, which I found to be real-good slice-of-life. If you'll do the Yamadas, I'll do my take on Chie, and then we can do the same for Night on the Galactic Railroad. Sounds real-fun.

Yep, Chie the Brat's real good, and similar to Yamadas in many ways. Takahata is the master of this kind of stuff.

Chie is the anti-moe, and the most adorable anime girl I've ever seen. She and Antonio Jr. made that film.

Now, now, we all know the real anti-moe is Kaiji.

Branduil

Yeah, I don't know about that either. I really don't think trejo's enjoyment of Wasurenagumo was hampered because of the fact
"he knew something was up with the ending"
, but when you know specific spoilers, they fuck things up. Tension is good.

notsureifserious.gif Correlation != causation.

Sounds like confirmation bias to me.

Yeah, well, I don't necessarily buy that, at all.

So many anti-science troglodytes in this thread.

Jex

Oreki, with a puzzled look on his face, staring straight ahead.

Chitanda, nervous and concerned, looking down and to the side.

As the ticking of a clock fades in, we see the clock itself, establishing the presence of time, which seems to slow to a crawl as Oreki waits for Chitanda to gather up her nerve to ask her question.

It quickly goes through a sequence of shots, first focusing on Chitanda's mouth as she attempts to speak, then on Oreki bracing himself for what will come out of her mouth, then back to the distance shot as Chitanda fails to get the words out. Suddenly the ticking stops, and the motion of the clock pendulum itself stops, and Bach's Air on the G String begins. This theme has been established as symbolizing the irresistible fascination Chitanda holds for Oreki back in the first episode, where it appeared when Oreki found himself handing over his club application to her. Its appearance now indicates that Oreki would like to tear himself away from the table and refuse to listen to Chitanda, but cannot bring himself to do so.

Again, a quick sequence of cuts to illustrate Chitanda gathering courage to speak and Oreki gathering courage to listen. This time, as Chitanda actually manages to get a few words out, we have a tight closeup on her mouth. Her hands are shown for the first time, clenched into fists, the sign of resolve.

We move being increasingly tighter closeups of Oreki's eye and the clock pendulum, as the tension he feels, enhanced by the inexorable ticking, grows ever more. (As a side note, the heart shape of the pendulum could be a sly reference to budding love.)

Note that up to now, everything has been seen through a slightly washed-out, pastel shade, which establishes a unique atmosphere. Now, as Chitanda finally asks Oreki for her favor, the coloration returns to the ordinary look of the show. The "spell" has been broken; we are back to the real world.
I can't tell if just haven't mentioned this because it's so obvious or because it isn't your own interpretation of the scene, but I feel like this analysis is side-stepping the whole point of that sequence.

I mean, this series of images:

Seem to indicate that this is a scene where Chitanda will confess her love to Oreki. The secluded location, the pastel pink shade indicating romance, the uncomfortable but expectant tone, the music, the heart shaped pendulum and Chitanda's bodies language all point towards this being a romantic scene.

We are actually viewing the world through a subjective lens in this sequence, but whose lens is it? Not Chitanda, obviously because she knows that she's actually going to ask Oreki to solve a mystery. This makes it pretty clear that Oreki actually thinks that Chitanda might be 'confessing' to him. We are seeing the world through his lens, and the reality of the scene is altered by his perception of what is happening. Note how expectant he looks when Chitanda starts to talk:

What is he seeing? The visuals link up his eyes with the clocks heart-shaped pendulum, twice:

You mention above that the 'spell is broken' once Chitanda makes her request. But why is it broken? Why does all the colour suddenly return to normal?

It is because Oreki now knows that Chitanda isn't confessing to him at all. He was quite wrong on that front, which is why everything changes when she talks to him.

In case that wasn't clear enough, we return to the heart shaped pendulum as the opening title appears:

Ah ha, the pendulum was never heart shaped at all. It's was only heart shaped when Oreki believed that Chitanda might be confessing to him.

Branduil

I can't tell if just haven't mentioned this because it's so obvious or because it isn't your own interpretation of the scene, but I feel like this analysis is side-stepping the whole point of that sequence.

Seem to indicate that this is a scene where Chitanda will confess her love to Oreki. The secluded location, the pastel pink shade indicating romance, the uncomfortable but expectant tone, the music, the heart shaped pendulum and Chitanda's bodies language all point towards this being a romantic scene.

We are actually viewing the world through a subjective lens in this sequence, but whose lens is it? Not Chitanda, obviously because she knows that she's actually going to ask Oreki to solve a mystery. This makes it pretty clear that Oreki actually thinks that Chitanda might be 'confessing' to him. We are seeing the world through his lens, and the reality of the scene is altered by his perception of what is happening. Note how expectant he looks when Chitanda starts to talk:

What is he seeing? The visuals link up his eyes with the clocks heart-shaped pendulum, twice:

You mention above that the 'spell is broken' once Chitanda makes her request. But why is it broken? Why does all the colour suddenly return to normal?

It is because Oreki now knows that Chitanda isn't confessing to him at all. He was quite wrong on that front, which is why everything changes when she talks to him.

In case that wasn't clear enough, we return to the heart shaped pendulum as the opening title appears:

Ah ha, the pendulum was never heart shaped at all. It's was only heart shaped when Oreki believed that Chitanda might be confessing to him.

If only Oreki wasn't such a tsundere for a Eru/mysteries.

Jex

If only Oreki wasn't such a tsundere for a Eru/mysteries.

That whole scene also debunks the theory that Oreki isn't interested in Chitanda at all, because he's so reluctant to help her out. In actuality, it's pretty that he's attracted to her as the sequence I explained above demonstrates. He just doesn't show it.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice this angle until now. You beat me on this one!

Probably would have seen it if I had carried on my cut-by-cut analysis a little farther.

That whole scene also debunks the theory that Oreki isn't interested in Chitanda at all, because he's so reluctant to help her out. In actuality, it's pretty that he's attracted to her as the sequence I explained above demonstrates. He just doesn't show it.

That theory was already debunked by the hair growth fantasy scene in the first episode.

This is another scene viewed through Oreki's subjective lens, and you don't view a woman like that if you're not attracted to her. He's literally caught in her web!

Joule

Acchi Kocchi 1: That was enjoyable. Really enjoyable actually. It tingles that cute and amusing nerve well. The gag timing and general pacing flowed well (it doesn't just feel blatantly like a 4panel comic). It looks quite good too. The show overall feels really familiar somehow. From the colours, designs, backgrounds and even the dot patterned filter on top of the crowd characters (probably one of my more preferred filters). I feel like I've seen bits and pieces of this show in other shows but I can't exactly pinpoint where. The dot pattern in the crowds and some of the patterned backgrounds (particularly those crowds)... I can recall Shaft's works using that a bunch but I feel like there's another show that made large use of it that I can't think of right now. Going to have to look up some of the staffers on this show.

Tsumiki and Io are pretty cute together. The side characters provide the amusement in messing with the pair and are wacky people themselves. The school antics and the arcade trip were fun. If it can keep up this mixture of cute things and amusement I'm definitely down. My favourite cute moment was probably when Tsumiki bumped into Io and sniffed out his identity. The ED is also ridiculously cute too. No wonder cajun has this show on lock.

Strangely this show isn't featured in the OP? Well on to some pictures:
znThp.jpg

Right from the beginning it already starts with the dot patterning.
Kjhsf.jpg
eHOaV.jpg

Very clear A and B parts.
0AoMY.jpg
F5eBE.jpg

The aforementioned dotted patterns on background characters. I feel like this is one of the better ways to mask filler crowds. It has a nice subtle look to it so it doesn't stick out terribly while making it clear this is not the focus. It makes me think about the various ways different anime depict crowds. PenDrum had pictogram cutouts, shows like GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class have dull/pale toned faceless characters, CG people... It's kind of interesting to see what's more effective when they're not being fully drawn. Given that much of the time this aspect of many show is left unappreciated and little effort is put in to do up a proper looking crowd (credits to duckroll for sparking that conversation a little while ago)
51PPv.jpg
QJFK7.jpg

Are there more fightan games in animu this season or what? Fightingidiot and Evo moment full parry renditions?
6C7mb.jpg

This gag I thought was pretty funny. A quick snappy joke.

Branduil

Well honestly the people who think he isn't attracted to her are denser than a neutron star.

I'm also surprised that so many people missed the heart-shaped pendulum not being real. It was one of the first things I noticed.

Jex

I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice this angle until now. You beat me on this one!

Probably would have seen it if I had carried on my cut-by-cut analysis a little farther.
I am surprised so many people missed it as they watched it. Let this be lesson for everyone to pay attention to the mise-en-scène.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm also surprised that so many people missed the heart-shaped pendulum not being real. It was one of the first things I noticed.

I am surprised so many people missed it as they watched it. Let this be lesson for everyone to pay attention to the mise-en-scène.

I went back to rewatch that sequence now and it was pretty blatant. I don't know how I missed it.

Soma

The above post really helps illustrates how much I loved that conversation in Episode 3 of Hyouka. I honestly liked it more than the majority of the mystery deducing in Episode 4. :T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom