• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acchi Kocchi 1: That was enjoyable. Really enjoyable actually. It tingles that cute and amusing nerve well. The gag timing and general pacing flowed well (it doesn't just feel blatantly like a 4panel comic). It looks quite good too. The show overall feels really familiar somehow. From the colours, designs, backgrounds and even the dot patterned filter on top of the crowd characters (probably one of my more preferred filters). I feel like I've seen bits and pieces of this show in other shows but I can't exactly pinpoint where. The dot pattern in the crowds and some of the patterned backgrounds (particularly those crowds)... I can recall Shaft's works using that a bunch but I feel like there's another show that made large use of it that I can't think of right now. Going to have to look up some of the staffers on this show.

Tsumiki and Io are pretty cute together. The side characters provide the amusement in messing with the pair and are wacky people themselves. The school antics and the arcade trip were fun. If it can keep up this mixture of cute things and amusement I'm definitely down. My favourite cute moment was probably when Tsumiki bumped into Io and sniffed out his identity. The ED is also ridiculously cute too. No wonder cajun has this show on lock.

Strangely this show isn't featured in the OP? Well on to some pictures:

woo. join the club!

Am surprised people dropped this because it was just cute, while they still watch hyouka, which is pretty much just... a kyoani demo reel.

Dresden

I had forgotten that Hanasaku Iroha had guns.

That's . . . more thorough than I expected.

e03Hj.png

flawfuls

I wonder if gun otaku in Japan plan trips to America so they can use real guns.

Well if doing time Doing Time has taught me anything it's that they modify model guns to make them real guns (you can do that?), get arrested and then write manga about their time in jail!

Ultimadrago

She's too heavy for tennis.

Impossible!

Both her and Peach are of the "Medium" weight bracket in Mario Kart Wii!

Someone is falsifying Rosalina's weight records...

Edit: Oh crap i'm wrong,...but Bowser is in! Sexism against plus-sized women in vidya games, I tell ya's!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jormungand 6

Damn, that was pretty brutal.
I'm guessing the chick with the knife-pistols was mentored by the dude in Valmet's flashback. Hopefully the butterfly obsessed doctor doesn't die. that pirate kid is as good as dead lol

Needs more Koko being loco.

Impossible!

Edit: Oh crap i'm wrong,...but Bowser is in! Sexist against plus-sized women in vidya games, I tell ya's!

I don't wear this moniker for nothing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Impossible!

Edit: Oh crap i'm wrong,...but Bowser is in! Sexism against plus-sized women in vidya games, I tell ya's!

Well, the cause for this isn't sexism... It's simply the fact that Rosalina's heavier than Bowser.

Branduil

Us US folks are well and truly spoiled by anime pricing here :(

Eru wins because of her gorgeous purple eyes. The other girl is cute, but her eyes arent the same beautiful purple and it makes a big difference. It doesnt really matter how big Chitanda's head is.

It's not the size of the head, but how you use it that counts.

I think you guys might be looking too much into the first scene in Hyouka.

Not really. It's pretty basic analysis.

Branduil

Outside the final paragraph, I don't think it's a particularly bad review. Just happens to be praising a show a lot of people here think is bad. He backs up his position for the most part in an articulate way.

The problem is his rhetoric has nothing to do with the show, as well as being totally ridiculous. "Black Rock Shooter is a work of substance and truth." Really? I would make fun of that line even in a review of an anime I liked.

Toriko 56

Oh shit Zebra soon. He better be worth all this teasing they have been doing since the show started.

Oh, he'll definitely be worth it. I am a bit worried they'll tone down his introduction though.

The problem is his rhetoric has nothing to do with the show, as well as being totally ridiculous. "Black Rock Shooter is a work of substance and truth." Really? I would make fun of that line even in a review of an anime I liked.

Yeah, that's why I said outside the final paragraph. The rest of it does at least attempt an analysis of the show and its narrative, subjective as it may be.

And did you go back like 40 pages or something?

Branduil

Random question for you guys. I was just thinking about this earlier and I was wondering how you all feel about this topic.

What would be, in your estimate, the show(s) with the best opening episode?

I'm not talking about the opening animation, and the entire series could collapse later and suck, but that first episode just drew you in and didn't let you go. I'll throw out my personal nominees, though I only plan to talk about a couple shows.

Ouran High School Host Club

This show sets up the entire premise and primary cast in it's first episode. And it did so brilliantly with great pacing, comedic timing, and showing just enough characterization for each of the seven main leads to get a good feel of who everyone is and what they're about at a glance, with a nice little "gotcha" at the end to surprise you and make you want the next episode right away.

Cowboy Bebop

A small, quiet scene is followed by a bombastic opening, leading into a laid back beginning where we're introduced to Spike (or Bebop the Cowboy if you prefer) and his partner Jett. We learn they're bounty hunters, and get a small glimpse into how their lives are about excitement (the fight scene in the square) but also can have some tragic results (the escape attempt for the bounty). This episode completely encapsulates the entire tone of the show to follow, some action, some laid-back scenes, and some bittersweet and/or tragic moments.

Well, some of the shows with the best first episodes I can think of(besides Cowboy Bebop):

Haibane Renmei
Monster
Usagi Drop
Hanasaku Iroha
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Garzey's Wing

Queen's Blade 4
BJVsp.jpg

Yes, smart move Leina, eat a giant brightly colored mushroom...
Man Leina is terrible at fighting, she's barely managed to win a single fight so far. I hope she gets better,
though I don't mind if she loses her armor more, and I can only imagine that's going to happen a lot.
This episode was a definite step up from the last episode, but it looks like the next will be even better. Tomoe seems to be back in this next episode so I'm excited. She doesn't seem like a total failure like Leina has been.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Queen's Blade 4

Man Leina is terrible at fighting, she's barely managed to win a single fight so far. I hope she gets better,
though I don't mind if she loses her armor more, and I can only imagine that's going to happen a lot.
This episode was a definite step up from the last episode, but it looks like the next will be even better. Tomoe seems to be back in this next episode so I'm excited. She doesn't seem like a total failure like Leina has been.

I wasn't really a fan of Leina when I tried the first episode of QB a while back, does she improve at all?

I wasn't really a fan of Leina when I tried the first episode of QB a while back, does she improve at all?

Well, she's very determined but so far she's been out matched in pretty much ever fight so far. Doesn't help that she was facing
Claudette
this episode.
And episode 2 was great mainly because of how little Leina is in it awesome Tomoe is.

sonicmj1

Step on it, driver! I have a backlog to catch!

Level E 10

This was the best episode since 4.

Ot2wT.jpg

Rose petals for everyone!

This had a nice self-contained story that moved smoothly between goofiness, drama, and horror. I liked the parallel between Yoshiki's situation and that of the mermaid. There were even some flashes of strong direction.

qM6fM.jpg

All these posters say "Nakama", which is a concept impossible for us gaijin to comprehend.

I didn't expect to enjoy a Color Rangers episode so much, but this was the straightest they played the concept so far, and it worked really well for me. Maybe I should watch more sentai.

Hg2Il.jpg

Never leave me again, Sensei! You're the best character in the show!

Ano Natsu's gonna sit uncontinued until Level E is done.

I also just watched the next two episodes of Utena, but I'll wait a little while to post better reactions.

duckroll

It seems upcoming episode titles for Fujiko and Apollon have leaked. No staff credits though. Someone needs to buy Newtype/Animage monthly! >_<

Apollon:
Ep6 - My Favorite Things
Ep7 - Now's The Time
Ep8 - Mood Indigo; These Foolish Things
Ep9 - You Don't Know What Love Is; Body and Soul

Fujiko:
Ep7 - Music and Revolution
Ep8 - Death Anniversary
Ep9 - Yearning for Steam
Ep10 - The Dead City

Status
Not open for further replies.