• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
They're using the inferior male protagonist as the canon protagonist? Fucking Nintendo. Turned the video off, burned by DS, cancelled my pre-order.

lol
how is inferior when the only thing that really changes is the appearance of a few pixels?

Jintor

If half the "we have to fill this empty space with something!" jokes were cut, I'd agree with you.

I actually really like the shotgun approach in Digimon 1 and 2. They lost it in 3, 4 and 5 and I always felt there was something missing. (3 was still great on its own merits)

Wiseblade

I actually really like the shotgun approach in Digimon 1 and 2. They lost it in 3, 4 and 5 and I always felt there was something missing. (3 was still great on its own merits)

It sucks all the tension out of the scene. Sometimes, well placed silence can help build excitement and Adventure's dub almost completely threw that away for cheap puns. Medabots' dub has a similar problem except it's probably worse there since they reuse the same stock lines to fill pauses.

tiff

Banned
Didn't know it existed before. Going to check out some entries on past shows.
i loved it when they praised Leon Kennedy's trigger discipline in a cutscene.

RE4 really is the best game.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 6
R9CB1.jpg

msSZk.jpg
This show is perfect. Everything about it. Perfect.

Sengoku Basara: The Last Party

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Branduil

Cowboy Bebop 1-26 (FINAL) + Movie

I think I’m ready. I think I’m ready to talk about Cowboy Bebop. I didn’t know what to expect coming into this. I had always stayed away from Cowboy Bebop thinking it was some of kind of playful shonen meant for kids or young teens. What I got was a mature, episodic assortment of stories in the vein of sci-fi, westerns, gangster flicks and film noir. And its execution was amazing. The structure of the show, untethered by any of the main plot lines, is pleasingly effective. Given the 22 minutes per episode, it impressed me that Bebop was able to tell some very solid stories with such little time. Whether it’s the tale of some kid who wants to learn to defend himself and
restore his sister’s vision
or Bebop’s pilot
looking to settle the score with the man who took away his arm
. I usually don’t like
drug-related
humor but I found Episode 17 to be hilarious and it has since become my favorite Bebop episode. Episode 11 I also enjoyed as a love letter of sorts to popular American sci-fi.

Bebop oozes style. I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to digest the older look of it all but I think it still looks brilliant given when it was aired. I loved the art direction and it didn’t impede on my enjoyment of the series at all. Everything is grimy, aged and rusted. It compliments the world that the creators were trying to establish and just about everything was a pleasure to see in motion. The aerial battles in particular are incredible to watch, not because of loud fast-paced music, or methodical orchestral scores but because of its slow jazz pieces. It creates a new tone for these skirmishes in the skies. They become awesome and tragic, enthralling and melancholic at the same time. Watching the Bebop, Swordfish and Redtail outgunning or outrunning their targets of interest is so mesmerizing. The locales they fight over are fantastic. I enjoyed the vision that the creators had of the future and mankind’s expansion from Earth.

Nothing overstays its welcome. In fact, I’d say nothing stays long enough and I will say that I was disappointed characters like Ed didn’t play a larger role in the show. But maybe that reluctance to stick around too long is in line with its theme. It’s a show about characters trying to find their place in the universe. The journey the crew goes through varies. Sometimes it’s hilarious, sometimes it’s ridiculous and sometimes it’s very human. The delivery never fails miserably and it never teeters to the point of sophomoric. It just leaves me wanting more and the way the show throws so much humor and adventure at you only to slap you back into reality when it wants is great. It doesn’t feel forced. I might be in the minority in this but I thought the first couple of episodes were really great and I was hooked on Bebop from episode one. I liked that the main-arc didn’t kick in until several episodes later as I could latch onto these characters as they were without clinging to their backstories. The main arcs were downplayed and in my opinion that was the right thing to do. The episodic nature of it all is like a reflection of life itself. Sometimes your baggage of the past catches up to you but most of the time, you’re engaging in other crazy, exciting adventures that are completely unrelated. Bebop overall has some of the strongest writing I’ve seen in an episodic anime yet.

Let me be honest, the reality is… I actually finished Bebop over a month ago and I so was overwrought with positivity for the series that it seemed irrational. So instead, I did something rational: I let it sink it before I said anything. I just recently watched a random episode and yup, still amazing. It continues to make me disappointed in shows like Bodacious Space Pirates which can’t even wrap up an arc without needlessly bloating it over several episodes. The majority of this review remains unchanged with the omission of a section where I seriously believed every anime I had ever watched before Bebop was utter crap. I was convinced that I would no longer be able to enjoy anime after Bebop. Of course, a week or so later, I was back to watching shows like Infinite Stratos so obviously the honeymoon was over though my praise for Bebop remains the same. It was one of those, “One more episode,” shows that I couldn’t put down. Despite its age (not to imply that a little over a decade is old or anything), it certainly never stopped me from enjoying every aspect of it. This show stands the test of time. Cowboy Bebop gets a 5 out of 5. At a time where I didn’t really have a favorite anime series, I think Cowboy Bebop will occupy that spot.

It's always nice to see that some people can recognize true greatness when they see it.

Jintor

I think I’m ready. I think I’m ready to talk about Cowboy Bebop. I didn’t know what to expect coming into this. I had always stayed away from Cowboy Bebop thinking it was some of kind of playful shonen meant for kids or young teens. What I got was a mature, episodic assortment of stories in the vein of sci-fi, westerns, gangster flicks and film noir. And its execution was amazing. The structure of the show, untethered by any of the main plot lines, is pleasingly effective. Given the 22 minutes per episode, it impressed me that Bebop was able to tell some very solid stories with such little time. Whether it’s the tale of some kid who wants to learn to defend himself and
or Bebop’s pilot
. I usually don’t like
drug-related
humor but I found Episode 17 to be hilarious and it has since become my favorite Bebop episode. Episode 11 I also enjoyed as a love letter of sorts to popular American sci-fi.

Bebop oozes style. I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to digest the older look of it all but I think it still looks brilliant given when it was aired. I loved the art direction and it didn’t impede on my enjoyment of the series at all. Everything is grimy, aged and rusted. It compliments the world that the creators were trying to establish and just about everything was a pleasure to see in motion. The aerial battles in particular are incredible to watch, not because of loud fast-paced music, or methodical orchestral scores but because of its slow jazz pieces. It creates a new tone for these skirmishes in the skies. They become awesome and tragic, enthralling and melancholic at the same time. Watching the Bebop, Swordfish and Redtail outgunning or outrunning their targets of interest is so mesmerizing. The locales they fight over are fantastic. I enjoyed the vision that the creators had of the future and mankind’s expansion from Earth.

Nothing overstays its welcome. In fact, I’d say nothing stays long enough and I will say that I was disappointed characters like Ed didn’t play a larger role in the show. But maybe that reluctance to stick around too long is in line with its theme. It’s a show about characters trying to find their place in the universe. The journey the crew goes through varies. Sometimes it’s hilarious, sometimes it’s ridiculous and sometimes it’s very human. The delivery never fails miserably and it never teeters to the point of sophomoric. It just leaves me wanting more and the way the show throws so much humor and adventure at you only to slap you back into reality when it wants is great. It doesn’t feel forced. I might be in the minority in this but I thought the first couple of episodes were really great and I was hooked on Bebop from episode one. I liked that the main-arc didn’t kick in until several episodes later as I could latch onto these characters as they were without clinging to their backstories. The main arcs were downplayed and in my opinion that was the right thing to do. The episodic nature of it all is like a reflection of life itself. Sometimes your baggage of the past catches up to you but most of the time, you’re engaging in other crazy, exciting adventures that are completely unrelated. Bebop overall has some of the strongest writing I’ve seen in an episodic anime yet.

Let me be honest, the reality is… I actually finished Bebop over a month ago and I so was overwrought with positivity for the series that it seemed irrational. So instead, I did something rational: I let it sink it before I said anything. I just recently watched a random episode and yup, still amazing. It continues to make me disappointed in shows like Bodacious Space Pirates which can’t even wrap up an arc without needlessly bloating it over several episodes. The majority of this review remains unchanged with the omission of a section where I seriously believed every anime I had ever watched before Bebop was utter crap. I was convinced that I would no longer be able to enjoy anime after Bebop. Of course, a week or so later, I was back to watching shows like Infinite Stratos so obviously the honeymoon was over though my praise for Bebop remains the same. It was one of those, “One more episode,” shows that I couldn’t put down. Despite its age (not to imply that a little over a decade is old or anything), it certainly never stopped me from enjoying every aspect of it. This show stands the test of time. Cowboy Bebop gets a 5 out of 5. At a time where I didn’t really have a favorite anime series, I think Cowboy Bebop will occupy that spot.

I missed this when it was originally posted. But still... brofist.

sleepykyo

or Bebop’s pilot
. I usually don’t like
drug-related

There is a reason why Cowboy Bebop is often the most recommended anime. It simply deserves it.

Unlike most of animeGaf's recommendations, which are usually done to weed out the normal people or to soak in their suffering.

Now that I've had a chance to calm down, here's a real post.

Those familiar with the series should already be aware of the hot-blooded escapades of Japan's iconic figures in the warring states era, but this takes that display of pure, unadulterated manliness and cranks it up to 85,000.

IqVvl.jpg

This is one of the best lines ever.

As with the tv series, the plot is mostly an excuse for visually astounding physics-defying fights. That being said, I still found myself engrossed in the lead-up (which I'm sure plenty of liberties were taken with) to the battle of Sekigahara. Ishida's attempts at bringing peace to Japan and the deception involved was more interesting to me than anything in either of the tv seasons.

But of course, I'm not watching this for the plot. The battles, oh man were they awesome. Studio I.G. spared no expense at making the fights look cool as fuck. Most of the warlords had a chance to look badass and it was more mindblowing than I could have hoped.

hJdEB.gif

Probably the least awesome sequence in the Yukimura vs Masamune fight.

My only disappointment was the length of the final battle
as well as it ending in an unsatisfactory way.
But I can forgive that for all the other craziness this movie gave me. What a rush.

duckroll

The real question is, was that really the last party? Will there be no more parties in the Sengoku Basara franchise ever again? Or was the title a lie?

The real question is, was that really the last party? Will there be no more parties in the Sengoku Basara franchise ever again? Or was the title a lie?

Well the title is in reference to the battle of Sekigahara, which was pretty much it before boring peace happened. Doesn't mean there can't be more though. It's not like they're following the warring states era verbatim (barely at all really).

That would require Capcom to actually release a new Basara game instead of a HD remake, terrible PSP games or browser/mobile games.

trejo

Young Animator Training Project 2011 - Wasurenagumo

Kinda sucks that I already knew going in that
something was up with the ending
but it was a very interesting watch nonetheless. One of the more memorable of these so far, for sure.

Dresden

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

My Neighbors the Yamadas

What a fascinating movie. With his adaptation of a newspaper 4-koma (still running!), Isao Takahata created a film that not only looks dramatically different from all other Ghibli films, but dramatically different from all other anime films, at least that I've seen.

Like the currently running Lupin series, it aims for a drawn comic style. But whereas Koike's Lupin is extraordinarily detailed and ornate, this is sketchy, rough, and watercolor-like. It's Ghibli's first entirely digital film, and unlike a lot of anime created during this early digital era, it has a perfect visual style which shows off the advantages of the new technology. Both the art and the animation are a pleasure for the eyes.

The structure is equally unusual. The opening sequence is brilliant, perhaps Isao Takahata's greatest imaginative triumph. Using a speech of advice to the newlywed Yamadas at their wedding as a jumping off point, he uses a sequence of shifting visual metaphors to show the challenges and joys of creating a family. His ability to view real life through a fantastic lens was never on better display.

The rest of the film, betraying its 4-koma origin, consists of a series of vignettes grouped into related themes, each prefaced by its own title. The foibles and mishaps of the Yamada family are charming and, despite being rooted in Japanese culture, has a universal relatability. There are a great variety of situations, which on the one hand is a benefit in keeping the viewer's interest, but on the other hand contributes to the film feeling a bit sprawling and loose. This is a downside of the relaxed pace typical of Takahata, and made it difficult for me to get through it in one sitting. Still, the warmth and love that exudes from every pore of the film makes it a joy, and I would recommend it to anyone.

As an aside, there was one fascinating art style shift out of nowhere that occurred in one of the vignettes, when the characters briefly shift to more realistic designs. I wonder what sparked the idea to do that.

trejo

Wasurenagumo spoilers.

The way it seemed to me is that
to most people the twist at the end was more enjoyable because the director had done a good job of making them let their guard down at that point so it was all the more surprising when it happened but, in my case, I couldn't do that since while I didn't know any specifics I was on my guard waiting for something to happen all the while so when it finally did I simply said "oh I guess that's what it was" and all sense of surprise intended was lost.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not really blaming it on any one but myself in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom