• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I was kind of hoping L would bring out a knife in this final episode and just go mental, a bit like that moustached fella in that video.

Can you find subs for me? That would be great.
L's grunts are a result of her Japanese VA not being able to pull off her heavy English accent.

Rumour has it she meant to sound like a female version of Brian Blessed.

How do people like Sankarea here? It's a bit of a silly show with the zombie angle and all, but I find the romance working well and the characters are engaging.

And the ED song is beautiful.

It's a decent show. At the very least, the show is much more than I expected from just reading the description a couple months ago.

It is suffering from a lack of focus on the plot and really any sense of urgency on what's going on when it does focus on the plot.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is this video meant to be taken seriously or not?
I honestly can't.

Out army is full of nutjobs which is why they can kill despite using L. If things are getting desperate they'd probably throw her, pantsu and all, right into an enemies face.

Killed humanly.

Nothing from Britain should ever be taken seriously.
iLg6MT4PHNzwS.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think one of the reasons I can freely enjoy even moderately terrible anime is because I accept the show as it is presented. I don't try to attach realistic expectations to it. I accept that the characters are "as is" in the story, even if in real life they would be absurd. In THAT story they are in, they make some sort of sense and have a purpose, even if it is pandering. This is why I can also accept really stupid characterizations that drive other people nuts.

And that's fine, and I don't think that anyone should really be telling you that you're just being manipulated or looking down on you as Inquisitor of Taste if you like a character that they don't. We all approach anime differently and we all have to coexist together in the same thread, so there's not much benefit to making someone defend why they like something if they've made it clear why they consume what they consume and it's vastly different from one's own reasons. Likewise, a criticism of a character or show isn't meant as an insult to people who like that character or that show (well, I guess that really depends on the poster).

So, basically, keep on professing your love for Elena even when people are railing against her existence because we're all in that position at one point or another. If you've justified your opinion to your own personal satisfaction, there's no need to continue justifying it just because others are continuing to complain.

Maybe you should just stop LOSING YOUR HEAD

HAHAHA

[Usagi Drop manga reference]

US OTAKU, EH?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Am I the only one who thinks the "No one can see Akarin~" jokes are incredibly unfunny and stupid?

The joke is meant to be she has little presence, not that she is invisible. But one can't expect everyone to be experts of comedy.

Kagami

E7AO is certainly a series for dedicated anime fans, but it still feels fundamentally different from something traditionally described as made "for otaku" like Angel Beats, K-On, etc. It deserves credit for being story-driven with characters that (mostly) don't fit into the most basic anime archetypes, so I would argue that it's incorrect to write it off as falling into the same broad category as many series that don't attempt to do the things that E7AO attempts at all. It deserves to be held to a higher standard even if it does exhibit signs of being more commercial than its predecessor.
Ah...alrighty. Sorry, this is my fault for misunderstanding how the word "otaku" is being used.

When you guys say "otaku," you mean specifically "moe character/bishoujo character otaku" and not any other kind? (In other words, you're excluding people who, say, have a room full of Gundam models.)
I'm familiar with this usage lately but i keep getting tripped up by it.

Madoka Magica Episode 8

Well, ummmmm, uhhhhhhhh....Wow. This show is truly magical. I am comprehending how this won anime of the year.

mahou-shoujo-madoka-01-48.jpg

I never knew the embodiment of evil could be so cute.

Probably not gonna happen

I cannot handle watching the rest of One Piece, fully knowing how bad the pacing is. Plus, I do not have the time to invest in such a show anymore. :-(

Dresden

[Usagi Drop manga reference]

US OTAKU, EH?

One's a bad joke.

The other is a warning and a reaffirmation of scholarship. It's like a lighthouse on the edge of a cliff in a dark storm on a moonless night for wooden ships with their black sails tattered by the galicious wind.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Zetsuen no Tempest main staff (not 100% confirmed yet, from Gangan Leak):

Director: Masahiro Ando
Series Composition: Mari Okada
Character Design: Tsunenori Saito
Music: Michiru Oshima
Art Director: Tomoaki Okada
Color Design: Shihoko Nakayama
Animation Direction: Masaru Oshiro, Hiroki Kanno
Production: BONES

Dissapointed Ando isn't working on Sword of the Stranger (TV).:( but a Ando Action Show >>>> No Ando Action show. So whatever!

Also Mari Okada must be Andos waifu wwwwwwww.. considering he works with her all the damn time!

Grzi

One Piece 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
stuff

:(

I guess there's no way you'd like the Loguetown arc after all. Well, what are you gonna do.

I had a thought of proposing that you give me any show you'd like someone to watch and I'd watch it and write about it here (the same thing you already did basically), no matter how long it was, if you'd give OP another 10 episodes, but then I realized I'm not a regular poster in this thread and nobody cares about my opinion. Oh well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ah...alrighty. Sorry, this is my fault for misunderstanding how the word "otaku" is being used.

When you guys say "otaku," you mean specifically "moe character/bishoujo character otaku" and not any other kind? (In other words, you're excluding people who, say, have a room full of Gundam models.)
I'm familiar with this usage lately but i keep getting tripped up by it.

The meaning is always in flux here, kind of like NTR!

In seriousness, I often fall into the trap of using "otaku" per the English mutation in its definition as opposed to the original Japanese meaning because it's a convenient shorthand. I should have been more specific.

I guess there's no way you'd like the Loguetown arc after all. Well, what are you gonna do.

I had a thought of proposing that you give me any show you'd like someone to watch and I'd watch it and write about it here (the same thing you already did basically), no matter how long it was, if you'd give OP another 10 episodes, but then I realized I'm not a regular poster in this thread and nobody cares about my opinion. Oh well.

I care! If Envelope doesn't take you up on your offer, I'd be glad to do a series trade with you come summer.

and you'll have the honor of being the first person that I don't trick into watching Brave 10

Dresden

btw, if anyone wants to do some anime movie watch swap bet thingamajigs, hit me up. I'll be making you watch shin-chan movie 2001.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think the worst anime movie I've seen is Tales of Earthsea (Don't really recall much about it so I'm just assuming from the fact it made no impression on me that it is the worst). I clearly need to see more movies.

One Piece 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

One Piece sucks.
tumblr_ln6antpc6Z1qh0bu9o1_500.gif

All throughout, the pacing was really bad; every arc but one was stretched out much further than it should have been, the one exception being Zoro's mini-arc. Unfortunately, bad pacing is to be expected in these long running Jump shonen shows, but that doesn't make it any better. At least shows like Heartcatch are episodic, meaning that an already poor arc doesn't get stretched out, making it even worse.

The characters were uniformly bad. Not a single villain had any motivation beyond "Hurrrr I am bad, I like killing and pillaging because that's what pirates do, except apparently that's not really what being a pirate is".

The main cast was worse. Luffy is one of my least favorite characters ever, he ruins every single scene he's in. What makes it even worse is the self awareness Oda tries to use whenever it happens. There will always be a few characters in the background to yell out "YOU'RE RUINING THE MOMENT" every time he ruins the moment. It's not funny at all. Nami was a poor character as well, money grubbing cardboard character doesn't make for a fun watch., and though Arlong Park did work up some decent sympathy for her, it didn't help make her any more likeable. Though to be fair, she could have a bit of a character change now, but since I won't be watching any more, I'm not about to find out.
Ussop... after his arc finished, he didn't really do much other than be loudmouthed and brash, mildly annoying, but nothing compared to the titan of irritation that was Luffy. Zoro is a bro, best character hands down. The brief appearance Mihawk made was good, and the sole saving grace of the otherwise abysmal Kreig arc.

Why did I dislike the Kreig arc so much? Firstly, the characters of the restaurant ship tried their best to be unlikeable. Regardless of whether someone is starving or not, it's stupid to offer a bloodthirsty murderer a free meal, knowing full well what the consequences will be. The flashback for Sanji was extra dumb, even for One Piece standards. A truly fearsome pirate, who's mastered the Grand Line enough to survive a year in there, decides to sacrifice his strongest asset for an annoying brat who's ship he attacked less than 5 minutes ago. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The second aspect was the ridiculous plot armor Luffy had. I already went through that, so I'm not going to list all the ridiculous stuff that he shrugs off, but I was constantly assured by various parties that One Piece has much better fluctuating power levels than most other shonens, but that really wasn't the case. Let's not even get started on how stupid the rubber ability is.

The first 3 episodes of the Arlong arc were some of my least favorite in the show. Then came the flashback episode for Nami, and cheap though it was, it was at least effective...

....or would have been, if Luffy didn't exist. He managed to completely ruin every potentially emotional moment in the arc. The middle of the Arlong arc was so frustrating to watch, since it could have been good, but the constantly forced "humor" that Oda seems so fond of cramming in the worst spots kept cropping up. Then of course, any hopes for a good ending were dashed the moment Luffy got stuck in the concrete. Luffy's big fight itself was pretty lacklustre. The usual plot armor, fluctuating power levels, and shonen haato Nakama haato power ups were everywhere.

Nevertheless, Arlong still managed to be the second best arc, behind the mini-one for Zoro.
I say mini, but really, the only reason it was that much shorter than the rest was because it was paced properly.

It's really unfortunate to see a show/manga/world like One Piece with so much potential so completely ruined by just a few aspects. I'm not a fan of either the art or some of the fights/powers, but those aren't dealbreakers for me. Horrible characters and poor plots are, and One Piece was filled to the brim with those.

Oda could have strengthened how he handled these early arcs, as its pretty much a high requirement to expect people to stick around this far just to see the anime finally take off at the first major lengthier arc after this one, especially with antagonists that actually matter though they all mostly retain that Oda "antagonist" design schema.

Nami is just not that good in her motives to be honest which feels different than what Luffy, Sanji, or even Zoro are after. 0 combat ability and her design makes her as unappealing as Usopp, and even his motive is also pretty terrible.

I agree on numerous points, disagree on Luffy, he grew on me over time and is cool, even if a bit not smart. Well I would suggest going on, since well its a decent anime and I like it as it goes on as it improves on most of those, but not, aspects, of course fitting in 560+ more episodes is no easy task, especially if one hasn't enjoyed it that much thus far...

Now go to Fairy Tail and of course, Zoro ftw!

I don't think Loguetown would really change his opinion. Yeah, it's like a prelude to the insanity of the grandline (and it does introduce logia type devil fruits), but it's not like the entire show changes. It just hints that what's to come will be exponentially bigger in scale than what happened in East Blue.

cajunator

Banned
I think the worst anime movie I've seen is Tales of Earthsea (Don't really recall much about it so I'm just assuming from the fact it made no impression on me that it is the worst). I clearly need to see more movies.

That is the most boring anime movie I have ever watched. I honestly gave it a fair shake. When my computer was refusing to play the DVD right side up I should have heeded its warning.

I'm waiting for One Piece Kai!

Assuming they even keep animating for 550 more episodes (I guess the anime could run for twelve more years assuming Oda is not joking by saying the story has gone over the halfway mark), thats at least twenty years of waiting just to see One Piece...not worth it. Might as well just watch One Piece Special Edition HD right now, I think its at episode 10?

How do people like Sankarea here? It's a bit of a silly show with the zombie angle and all, but I find the romance working well and the characters are engaging.

And the ED song is beautiful.

First three episodes were good, then it went to the unappealing territory. Anime is really only good when it isnt on Sankarea but on Chihiro, Wanko, and/or Babu, and Aria. Its watchable but at the end of the season, not something Id end up buying from Funimation.

ED song is one of my favorite this season.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I'd be happy to take you up on that, but I'd need to know a bit more about your tastes first.

So I can choose a show I know you'll appreciate, of course.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Someone needs to watch The Laws of Eternity and report back to us.

BluWacky

btw, if anyone wants to do some anime movie watch swap bet thingamajigs, hit me up. I'll be making you watch shin-chan movie 2001.

I'll do it. I'll watch Adult Empire Strikes Back (which I've been meaning to watch for years) if you watch Princess Arete or A Tree of Palme.

Arete is a good film. Palme is not. But if you've already watched Arete, watch Palme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom